Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 03-07-2017, 04:35 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,482

Default

Interesting, so meteor gathering replaces mining?
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-08-2017, 10:28 AM
Yaskaleh Yaskaleh is offline

Eternal Watcher
Yaskaleh's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The heart of Scania
Posts: 18,625
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Interesting, so meteor gathering replaces mining?
Not so much, ordinary mining and excavation still occurs as the World Shell is more than 800 miles thick which allows for gigantic networks of caves and tunnels without getting close at all to the molten core. It just makes ores and gems more abundant at inner surface level. It also leads to an increased rate in meteors hitting the ground.

The ordinary natural laws that governs the universe the Hollow World is set in are that of the Electric Universe.

One of the main concepts of the "modern era" of the Hollow World is that the younger gods that guide the mortal species have disappeared. When the Hollow World last visited a solar system it encountered a terrible foe. This system turned out to be the flesh grounds of a species that can best be described as the Lich Lords. These beings are cousins of one of the Aethori's allies and are enemies of the Aethori.
This solitary species excel at carving and bending flesh of lesser beings into grotesque abominations of flesh and metal, to suit their purposes and depravity.
They achieve undeath once they leave adulthood and become nomads that harvest worlds for their twisted purposes.
Such taken worlds are simply known as Flesh Grounds to them. The Lichlord in control of this system attacked the Hollow World and sought to harvest it's inhabitants. The outer surface fell quickly as it's twisted creations marched tiredlessly towards the polar openings. The younger gods themselves rallied the greater beings of the Hollow World in a final stand at the two polar openings. There they held up the unending waves as they sped up the speed of the Hollow World to leave the system. As the fleshly hordes froze under the relentless cold of the void did the gods seal the openings, to never allow anything non-living to pass through it unscathed.

The mortal species speak about this as myths and legends, how a small number of their ancestors escaped the Doom by fleeing inside as their gods held back the darkness.
__________________

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!

Last edited by Yaskaleh; 03-08-2017 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-12-2017, 03:54 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,482

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
As the fleshly hordes froze under the relentless cold of the void did the gods seal the openings, to never allow anything non-living to pass through it unscathed.

The mortal species speak about this as myths and legends, how a small number of their ancestors escaped the Doom by fleeing inside as their gods held back the darkness.
Clarification, 'fleshy hordes' of defenders froze or did the cold start to affect the flesh-metal hybrids from the LichLords?

Is the seal physical or is it kind of like Sholazar where it's supposed to instantly-melt any undead that trespass or something?
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-13-2017, 10:23 AM
Yaskaleh Yaskaleh is offline

Eternal Watcher
Yaskaleh's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The heart of Scania
Posts: 18,625
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Clarification, 'fleshy hordes' of defenders froze or did the cold start to affect the flesh-metal hybrids from the LichLords?

Is the seal physical or is it kind of like Sholazar where it's supposed to instantly-melt any undead that trespass or something?
I just made a huge post that got fucked up and disappeared. I'll remake it once my irritation dies down.
__________________

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-13-2017, 10:30 AM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,136

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
I just made a huge post that got fucked up and disappeared. I'll remake it once my irritation dies down.
I know this pain.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-09-2017, 12:05 AM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,482

Default

Oof yeah, that's part of why I like the Giant in the Playground forums, they auto-save.

Saved my life last night when I was getting this nonsense out of my skull.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...a#post21802792


EDIT:

Reminder for Yask to continue if he cares to, but I also had a thought today.


I like worldsettings where the monstrous races aren't just always-chaotic-evil cannonfodder, but it'd still be nice to have that dynamic present in some form, but who would fill the role? WoW used centaur and quillboar but I've never been completely happy with their implementation either.

And then it hit me, I could solve the problem by combining it with another thought I'd had, of the whole 'ancient evil gods' thing not being some ancient secret but a fact of life.

And so, there are outcroppings of cockroach, mosquito, locust, and radioactive tumor-creatures scattered across the world that occupy a niche between sentient race and 'literally a plague'. Behaving somewhat animalistically at times but periodically coordinated by ancient evil monstrosities.
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-14-2017, 09:55 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,136

Orb of Lightning Another dream

A world where the center of gravity lies somewhere below a sheer and endless cliff. The sun rises and sets horizontally rather than vertically. At night stars glimmer above and below. Built into the cliff face are dwellings, villages, and even some overhanging lips of fertile soil and running water, falling endlessly into mist. Clouds pass by, spilling water over the rock face in terrifyingly sudden downpours. There is no end to the cliff in either the east or the west, and if it has a peak it is so far above the dwellings of mankind that none has ever seen it. Into the cliff are dug innumerable horizontal mine shafts and expansive cities, lit by fungus and crystal. Air pressure is not a problem here, only ventilation. There seems to be no end to the world in this direction, either.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-14-2017, 10:13 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,482

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
A world where the center of gravity lies somewhere below a sheer and endless cliff. The sun rises and sets horizontally rather than vertically. At night stars glimmer above and below. Built into the cliff face are dwellings, villages, and even some overhanging lips of fertile soil and running water, falling endlessly into mist. Clouds pass by, spilling water over the rock face in terrifyingly sudden downpours. There is no end to the cliff in either the east or the west, and if it has a peak it is so far above the dwellings of mankind that none has ever seen it. Into the cliff are dug innumerable horizontal mine shafts and expansive cities, lit by fungus and crystal. Air pressure is not a problem here, only ventilation. There seems to be no end to the world in this direction, either.
This sounds fascinating but I feel like I need a visual aid, I can sorta picture what you mean but when I try to visualize it my brain keeps trying to just picture like native american cliffdwellers or that one upside-down cliff temple in avatar.
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-14-2017, 10:28 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,136

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
This sounds fascinating but I feel like I need a visual aid, I can sorta picture what you mean but when I try to visualize it my brain keeps trying to just picture like native american cliffdwellers or that one upside-down cliff temple in avatar.
More the former than the latter in terms of how they're oriented, but it's true hard stone (though there might be some clay or sandstone pueblo in different... 'climates?'), and the external dwellings seemed to tend more toward ye olde Medieval European thatched-roof hovels than either architectural style you referenced.

Inside I'm not so sure. I kind of want to say like Dwarf plus Drow minus Evil, but that may be the contamination of my waking inclinations interfering with the true vision of my dream.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-14-2017, 11:12 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,482

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
More the former than the latter in terms of how they're oriented, but it's true hard stone (though there might be some clay or sandstone pueblo in different... 'climates?'), and the external dwellings seemed to tend more toward ye olde Medieval European thatched-roof hovels than either architectural style you referenced.

Inside I'm not so sure. I kind of want to say like Dwarf plus Drow minus Evil, but that may be the contamination of my waking inclinations interfering with the true vision of my dream.
I think what throws me off is your description of the center of gravity, it makes my brain want to turn it sideways, but it's essentially a cliff-world with no special... falling-up-ness or sideways-ness, involved, yes?

I would adore exploring that setting. Imagine a society that started out deeper inside, fungus or crystal people or dwarves or something, and them finding the cliff after interacting with humans sparks a kind of religious fervor, lifechanging epiphany or psychological terror depending on the individual.
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-15-2017, 07:41 AM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,136

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
I think what throws me off is your description of the center of gravity, it makes my brain want to turn it sideways, but it's essentially a cliff-world with no special... falling-up-ness or sideways-ness, involved, yes?
Exactly. The cliff is just like any in Actuality, except far more massive, and bottomless.

It's possible that the cliff is circular rather than infinite in the horizontal. Otherwise, it's hard to imagine how the sun could rise and set. A rough stone spire with a circumference comparable to that of the Earth's, then, but with no discernible top or bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
I would adore exploring that setting. Imagine a society that started out deeper inside, fungus or crystal people or dwarves or something, and them finding the cliff after interacting with humans sparks a kind of religious fervor, lifechanging epiphany or psychological terror depending on the individual.
I'm not sure that there are any other races of sapient beings in this world. I only saw humans, with goats and sheep and other small livestock, clinging to the edge of infinity.

One thing I'm not sure about is whether their constant proximity to that blue abyss would lead human culture to an intense fear of the sky and of falling, or if it would instead inoculate them against such fear. Perhaps the face-dwelling members of society (would there be a caste system?) have an outlook different from that of those who dwell in the paraterranean cities.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-15-2017, 01:06 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,482

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Exactly. The cliff is just like any in Actuality, except far more massive, and bottomless.

It's possible that the cliff is circular rather than infinite in the horizontal. Otherwise, it's hard to imagine how the sun could rise and set. A rough stone spire with a circumference comparable to that of the Earth's, then, but with no discernible top or bottom.



I'm not sure that there are any other races of sapient beings in this world. I only saw humans, with goats and sheep and other small livestock, clinging to the edge of infinity.

One thing I'm not sure about is whether their constant proximity to that blue abyss would lead human culture to an intense fear of the sky and of falling, or if it would instead inoculate them against such fear. Perhaps the face-dwelling members of society (would there be a caste system?) have an outlook different from that of those who dwell in the paraterranean cities.

Circular makes the most sense, though how that works in a grand cosmic sense is still up in the air.


Shame if there's no other sapient species, but it is interesting to consider what adaptations would develop among animals in that kind of environment.


And I figure cliff-dwellers have little to no fear of falling / heights and such, while folks from the inside being less claustrophobic or fearful of the dark, but having more of a fear of heights/the sky.
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-16-2017, 08:09 AM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,136

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Circular makes the most sense, though how that works in a grand cosmic sense is still up in the air.
I do not believe there is a moon, but the nights are lit by innumerable stars, shining brighter than any we have in Actuality. Whether this is because of some fundamental cosmological difference or simply because they don't have the same kind of light-pollution issues we have is difficult to say.

I am also unsure if the stars appear to move with respect to the terrestrial world, as they do in Actuality, or if the heavenly sphere (cylinder?) is fixed.

Looking outward from the rock face, the sun 'rises' from the left and 'sets' to the right. Does the spire (if it is a spire) rotate counter-clockwise in some heleocentric orbit, or does the sun orbit around it? Or is there some other explanation?

Although further consideration of the sun might seem to suggest that the further up or further down the cliff one travels from a hypothetical 'equator,' the colder and less hospitable to human life the world would become, I do not believe this is the case. The sun seems always to be directly outward from, and never perceptibly above or below, an observer's position on the cliff. It may be that the solar orb is simply so astronomically far away that any change in its relative position is negligible, sort of like Actuality's apparent lack of stellar parallax. This would naturally require that the sun was unfathomably huge, of course. It's also possible there's some other explanation.

The periodic and direct glare of a noonday sun may require those who live and work on the cliff face to erect some kind of collapsible heat shields, probably out of metal struts (the inner stone is rich in ores) and some kind of fabric, that they regularly deploy for the worst hours of the day. There are no seasons, but although the sun can be tropically hot, the wind and the rain are cool.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-16-2017, 09:00 AM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,482

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I do not believe there is a moon, but the nights are lit by innumerable stars, shining brighter than any we have in Actuality. Whether this is because of some fundamental cosmological difference or simply because they don't have the same kind of light-pollution issues we have is difficult to say.

I am also unsure if the stars appear to move with respect to the terrestrial world, as they do in Actuality, or if the heavenly sphere (cylinder?) is fixed.

Looking outward from the rock face, the sun 'rises' from the left and 'sets' to the right. Does the spire (if it is a spire) rotate counter-clockwise in some heleocentric orbit, or does the sun orbit around it? Or is there some other explanation?

Although further consideration of the sun might seem to suggest that the further up or further down the cliff one travels from a hypothetical 'equator,' the colder and less hospitable to human life the world would become, I do not believe this is the case. The sun seems always to be directly outward from, and never perceptibly above or below, an observer's position on the cliff. It may be that the solar orb is simply so astronomically far away that any change in its relative position is negligible, sort of like Actuality's apparent lack of stellar parallax. This would naturally require that the sun was unfathomably huge, of course. It's also possible there's some other explanation.

The periodic and direct glare of a noonday sun may require those who live and work on the cliff face to erect some kind of collapsible heat shields, probably out of metal struts (the inner stone is rich in ores) and some kind of fabric, that they regularly deploy for the worst hours of the day. There are no seasons, but although the sun can be tropically hot, the wind and the rain are cool.
Hm, at first blush it definitely seems like either an artificial world, or a world that was damaged and nearly destroyed and repaired as best was possible.


I would certainly love to be an astronomer trying to make sense of such a setting but I imagine it'd be quite difficult. Are meteors / shooting stars a 'thing' to the best of your knowledge?


What would happen without the heat shields, just severe sunburn or are we talking fantastic temperatures not seen in Actuality outside of like, volcanoes, bursting people into flames?

Is there any discernible access to ice? If there's no change in temperature as they move 'up' the spire then what actually stops someone from reaching the top, aside from sheer distance and immensity?

Also, a gift:
http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/...d.php?t=221171
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-16-2017, 09:34 AM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,136

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
I would certainly love to be an astronomer trying to make sense of such a setting but I imagine it'd be quite difficult. Are meteors / shooting stars a 'thing' to the best of your knowledge?
Distant, far-off things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
What would happen without the heat shields, just severe sunburn or are we talking fantastic temperatures not seen in Actuality outside of like, volcanoes, bursting people into flames?
Nothing immediately deadly, but sunstroke and sunburn are causes for concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Is there any discernible access to ice? If there's no change in temperature as they move 'up' the spire then what actually stops someone from reaching the top, aside from sheer distance and immensity?
There are paraterranean lakes and rivers which sometimes spill out from the rock, and I suppose some of them might be frozen.

It's very difficult to traverse the cliff face in any direction, far more so than to traverse the land and sea of Actuality. It's also far more dangerous. Travel in any direction has to be very slow or, if downward, terminally fast. But no matter how far up anyone travels, there is always more cliff towering far above.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 04-16-2017, 09:39 AM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,482

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Distant, far-off things.



Nothing immediately deadly, but sunstroke and sunburn are causes for concern.



There are paraterranean lakes and rivers which sometimes spill out from the rock, and I suppose some of them might be frozen.

It's very difficult to traverse the cliff face in any direction, far more so than to traverse the land and sea of Actuality. It's also far more dangerous. Travel in any direction has to be very slow or, if downward, terminally fast. But no matter how far up anyone travels, there is always more cliff towering far above.
I can imagine travel is pretty dangerous, it also eliminates the usage of most herd animals and draft animals, that'll slow development a bit.

How stable is the cliff, are avalanches or collapses a regular concern or are they relatively rare?
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-16-2017, 09:49 AM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,136

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
How stable is the cliff, are avalanches or collapses a regular concern or are they relatively rare?
I suppose avalanches must happen from time to time, though I'm not sure what would cause them. External structures are probably built quickly and cheaply.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-20-2017, 10:51 AM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,482

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I suppose avalanches must happen from time to time, though I'm not sure what would cause them. External structures are probably built quickly and cheaply.
Interesting, that makes sense if making something too heavy or ornate runs the risk of it falling down.

I wonder how growing crops works... if the cliff is stable enough you could have horizontal orchards with nets beneath them for relatively safe and easy harvesting.


EDIT:

Been having lots of Hobgoblin vs. Elf thoughts lately, I like the notion of hobgoblins being industrial as a counterpart to the more woodland based elves in the whole orc/hobgoblin/goblin vs. human/elf/dwarf matchup.

The main root of the conflict between the elves and hobs as I imagine it is that while the elves have a good relationship with their deities (Received long life, good land, good guidance, etc...) the hobgoblins and other goblinoids evolved naturally and kind of got 'adopted' by various deities that had no real connection to them, and generally abusive.

When it gets to the point that your deities admit to your face that they're basically just farming you for sacrifices and go 'but what're you gonna do about it?' What does that DO to a society?

Well in the hobgoblins case they tore down the temples and murdered the gods avatars, and even managed to kill one outright using a spear forged from the ruins of the deities altars and symbols, though this left a palpable scar on the land since it was an earth-deity and so their land is -shit-, hence their development of a very militaristic, industrial, culture that's not concerned about damaging the land in the process of ripping out all the ore and such since the soil's infertile to begin with.
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
creative, worldbuilding

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.