Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2013, 03:17 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

The globe in Google Earth just kept spinning and spinning and I couldn't fix it. I finally realized that my xbox controller can be used to navigate Google Earth. The trigger buttons rotate the globe clockwise and counterclockwise. It's awesome. And the problem is fixed.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:38 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Firefox decided to start being slow as fuck a couple of days ago so I've switched to Chrome. Still confused as to why that happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 08-15-2013, 03:40 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

So despite having Norton and AVG, I think I have that fake Microsoft malicious software removal tool. Now I gotta figure out how to get rid of it. Windows Vista.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:36 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
So despite having Norton and AVG, I think I have that fake Microsoft malicious software removal tool. Now I gotta figure out how to get rid of it. Windows Vista.
Get rid of Norton and AVG, and just run Windows Defender.

No, I'm not kidding.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:37 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Yeah, Norton sucks.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:12 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Get rid of Norton and AVG, and just run Windows Defender.

No, I'm not kidding.
+1 respect

A beloved archetype of modern era!" - Kir the Gul'dan
Old 08-15-2013, 06:34 PM

Arch-Druid

Why would anyone use norton? It's beyond atrocious. Recent builds of norton classify the antivirus itself as malware and attempts to delete itself.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:28 PM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
Firefox decided to start being slow as fuck a couple of days ago so I've switched to Chrome. Still confused as to why that happened.
Usually this is a plugin or addon of some kind. Does Firefox in safe mode run just as slow?
Old 08-16-2013, 02:43 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
I'm going to tell you to use Microsoft Security Essentials, and run the Windows Defender offline mode. You need to load it up on a disk or a USB key, preferably from an uninfected machine.

Bolvar is right though. Norton and AVG suck.

Windows Defender is purely anti-Spyware. Security Essentials is spyware, rootkits and anti-virus protection..... Unless of course Bolvar is just used to working in Windows 8 where the MSE and Windows Defender are the same program...
Old 08-16-2013, 03:38 AM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamu View Post
Usually this is a plugin or addon of some kind. Does Firefox in safe mode run just as slow?
I tried that and it still felt slow, though its possible that Chrome just runs faster and that I got used to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 08-16-2013, 09:16 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferlion View Post
I'm going to tell you to use Microsoft Security Essentials, and run the Windows Defender offline mode. You need to load it up on a disk or a USB key, preferably from an uninfected machine.

Bolvar is right though. Norton and AVG suck.

Windows Defender is purely anti-Spyware. Security Essentials is spyware, rootkits and anti-virus protection..... Unless of course Bolvar is just used to working in Windows 8 where the MSE and Windows Defender are the same program...
Yeah, you're right - I've been on Win8 for over a year now.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:43 AM

Eternal

I have realised that my PC really is outdated. I still use XP, you know?
Old 08-18-2013, 03:34 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

So this is a really strange problem affecting my mother's and my own laptops. As I've said before, we're in France, and our laptops are plugged in via adapters. That's pretty much the only commonality: I'm using a computer running Windows 7, she's using a macbook pro on mountain lion. But we both have problems with our laptop touchpads that both really only started flaring up today. They're just... erratic. Mine is clicking places I don't intend to and hers is acting kind of "sticky". Unplugging our computers and having them run on battery power seems to fix the problem, so I'm guessing this has something to do with the European plugs or the current they use in europe, maybe? Has anyone ever heard of this, and can give us some advice on the matter?
Old 08-18-2013, 03:38 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
So this is a really strange problem affecting my mother's and my own laptops. As I've said before, we're in France, and our laptops are plugged in via adapters. That's pretty much the only commonality: I'm using a computer running Windows 7, she's using a macbook pro on mountain lion. But we both have problems with our laptop touchpads that both really only started flaring up today. They're just... erratic. Mine is clicking places I don't intend to and hers is acting kind of "sticky". Unplugging our computers and having them run on battery power seems to fix the problem, so I'm guessing this has something to do with the European plugs or the current they use in europe, maybe? Has anyone ever heard of this, and can give us some advice on the matter?
Nah, can't say I've heard of this happening. My sister had a US notebook so she also had to use an adapter, but this never happened. Hasn't happened with our European notebooks either.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:53 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Nah, can't say I've heard of this happening. My sister had a US notebook so she also had to use an adapter, but this never happened. Hasn't happened with our European notebooks either.
I've heard it happening on unclean power lines.

Easy test. Plug in a USB mouse and see if you still have the problem when using the mouse. Trackpads are notorious for acting up with dirty power.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferlion View Post
I've heard it happening on unclean power lines.

Easy test. Plug in a USB mouse and see if you still have the problem when using the mouse. Trackpads are notorious for acting up with dirty power.
Didn't bring any USB mice with me.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:02 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Didn't bring any USB mice with me.
Then without further testing, I'm going to go with dirty power. It's a known issue track pads have, it's happening under specific circumstances on multiple units.

The only other real test I can suggest is plugging the laptop in somewhere else and see if you get the same problem. It could be that your adapters are not working properly, but I think it's a bit of a specific problem to have both go bad in that specific way at the same time.

Uhhm.. I don't know about newer models because I just don't work on laptops like I used to, but heavy magnetic interference would mess with a track pad as well.

Last edited by Ruinshin; 08-18-2013 at 04:05 AM..
Old 08-18-2013, 04:15 AM

It's not a /huge/ deal, as long as it's not a permanent problem. If it's somehow related to the apartment we're renting's electricity, we go back to America on Tuesday.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:38 AM

Demon Hunter

Trackpads are dark magic under the best of circumstances. In some Eastern Hemisphere shithole god only knows what could happen.

More factually: I was in Rouen a few years ago with an Amurican Dell 6520 and a Macbook Pro, and I didn't notice much in the way of irregularities. My lodgings were pretty swell, but nothing over the top. All will be well in a week.

Or not.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:55 AM

Oh I'm in a great apartment, it's just old. It's converted from what I think were the servants quarters of an old Haussmanian townhouse into the studio of a woodworker who's out of town so he's renting it out. Beautiful place, but I'm not sure when it was wired for electricity.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:42 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Torch#2569

Speaking of touchpad problems, I have mine turned off on my windows 8 laptop... but for some reason, everytime the computer is either restarted, or turned off manually (it's been crashing quite a bit recently, and it definitely feels a lot slower than it used to, despite pretty much having McAfee (don't quite trust it tbh) WoW+addons and a late 90's game installed and nothing else), the touchpad re-enables itself. Even though when I go to turn it off again, the computer still says "touchpad off".

If I die, blame it on BfA
Old 08-18-2013, 12:51 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Speaking of touchpad problems, I have mine turned off on my windows 8 laptop... but for some reason, everytime the computer is either restarted, or turned off manually (it's been crashing quite a bit recently, and it definitely feels a lot slower than it used to, despite pretty much having McAfee (don't quite trust it tbh) WoW+addons and a late 90's game installed and nothing else), the touchpad re-enables itself. Even though when I go to turn it off again, the computer still says "touchpad off".
Turn it off in bios or FNC+F3 may work to disable.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:55 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
I'd let someone check that out. I know several people who use Laptops and everytime they start getting slower, not a year later those fuckers just die. Usually from internal heat-problems.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:57 PM

Elune

McAfee wrecked my computer. Made the computer run lower than a slug, and kept having errors at the shut down. Never again.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:03 PM

Elune

Wait.. How is it crashing? Just cold shut off. Black screen, BSOD, locking up, Windows Explorer crashing?

Tags
computers, did you restart?, google, realspace, tighten up the graphics