Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 03-28-2014, 12:26 AM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
Why do I need to say?
I'm just asking, you're under no obligation to answer but it's kind of... a forum. Talking is what's done here.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 03-28-2014, 12:44 AM

Hon hon hon

I actually like the story. Sure, Maarad and Lyala are a little too much resilient to sleep, but on average, I didn't felt them overpowered.

Basically, it was said by the farmers : the Dark Shamans attacking them aren't that great, they were basically forgotten by Garrosh because they weren't important enough to call them back. This explanation make more than compensate the abilities of the two Alliance characters.

The last page seems a little too preachy for the angry and Savage Alliance players, but is is subtle enough to not anger or bother me, really.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:14 AM

Drunk Assassin

I'm honestly not seeing anything wrong with the final page, the criticisms of it are blown way out of proportion.

It is accurately representing, from an outsiders point of view, what the Alliance is like when it's roused to anger, and how backstabbing it is not as easy or consequence free as you think it is.

"There's nothing quite as frightening as a civilized person roused to anger. Some might not like what they get when they force good people to fight them." can count for Jaina as well, just quote it at the next whinging blood elf player who pops up. It also pretty much explains why the Alliance does sometimes 'grey' things. Because the Horde or their enemies made them do it in the first place, and the moment they push the Alliance too much they act all surprised when it pushes back with a greathammer rather than a hand.

Basically in my view what the Tiller is saying is more a warning to the Horde - Don't think the Alliance is weak. Don't try and backstab it when it allowed the Horde to continue existing. It could be a terrifying thing if you push it.

It is both hilarious and disappointing to see people rage about it.

Last edited by Thunderbraid; 03-28-2014 at 01:21 AM..
Old 03-28-2014, 01:18 AM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korath View Post
I actually like the story. Sure, Maarad and Lyala are a little too much resilient to sleep, but on average, I didn't felt them overpowered.
A night elf benefited from bright light :|

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-28-2014, 01:21 AM

Drunk Assassin

Light casts shadows.

There were a lot of large vegetables and other such things to cast shadows when the light was up and about. The orcs have shadows behind them directly away from the light.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:24 AM

Elune

I really feel like people are purposefully looking for things to be pissed about in this.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:25 AM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Light casts shadows.

There were a lot of large vegetables and other such things to cast shadows when the light was up and about. The orcs have shadows behind them directly away from the light.
That's not what was said though.

There was no mention of shadows.

There was a bright light.

That was it.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignac View Post
I really feel like people are purposefully looking for things to be pissed about in this.
It's decently written it just does absolutely nothing for characterization, these are valid complaints even if people aren't calm and pristine about voicing them.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-28-2014, 01:27 AM

Drunk Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
That's not what was said though.

There was no mention of shadows.

There was a bright light.

That was it.
It is scientific fact that there are shadows when there is light.

There is no need to say there are shadows when there's light as well.

You don't need to mention the sun is in the sky when you say it's daytime.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:28 AM

Elune

I liked it. but can someone remind me the importance of totems? goldmine lost his and he couldn't do jack shrimp, but this guy smashes his and he`s stil calling elementals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:29 AM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
It is scientific fact that there are shadows when there is light.

There is no need to say there are shadows when there's light as well.

You don't need to mention the sun is in the sky when you say it's daytime.
For fuck's sake man

Quote:
"Banish the shadows," he commanded. "Leave her nowhere to hide. If you are even capable of that," he added with contempt.
There were no shadows.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshadow View Post
I liked it. but can someone remind me the importance of totems? goldmine lost his and he couldn't do jack shrimp, but this guy smashes his and he`s stil calling elementals.

Blizzard is inconsistent.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-28-2014, 01:30 AM

Drunk Assassin

Quote:
"Banish the shadows," he commanded. "Leave her nowhere to hide. If you are even capable of that," he added with contempt.
Did you miss the crucial part of the story that explained that the elements... Were not actually helping the orcs?

Actually, why am I even trying to explain that Lyalia benefited from the blinding light?

She didn't benefit. She was blinded. It says this. But the orcs were also blinded so that benefit availed them nothing.

Additionally, blindfighting doesn't seem a feat beyond a Night Elf, to be honest.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:32 AM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Did you miss the crucial part of the story that explained that the elements... Were not actually helping the orcs?

Actually, why am I even trying to explain that Lyalia benefited from the blinding light?

She didn't benefit. She was blinded. It says this. But the orcs were also blinded so that benefit availed them nothing.

Additionally, blindfighting doesn't seem a feat beyond a Night Elf, to be honest.
Fine, maybe I'm just tired and bitter.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-28-2014, 01:37 AM

Elune

Quote:
I really think that just because you don't agree, you shouldn't automatically assume "Pssh, whatever, I don't see anything wrong, so obviously they are looking for something to be wrong"
Old 03-28-2014, 01:48 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
Just like Tyrande became a flat personality, but gained untold amounts of power.
Wasn't she always considered to be super powerful? Back at WC3 days, I always viewed night elven heroes as more powerful compared to the ones from the Alliance and Horde. Lorewise.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:53 AM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiraser View Post
Wasn't she always considered to be super powerful? Back at WC3 days, I always viewed night elven heroes as more powerful compared to the ones from the Alliance and Horde. Lorewise.
Back then "Super Powerful" was less powerful than it is nowadays.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-28-2014, 01:58 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiraser View Post
She had one big boom spell in Starfall that had, in cut scenes, some pretty awesome stuff.

But it was the ultimate spell. The rest of her abilities granted from Elune "augmented" Tyrande's already current abilities. Fire arrows, Trueshot, ect.

IT was "Tyrande" that made Tyrande powerful in WC3. In the post WC3 world, it's not true anymore.

Tyrande as a character has become non-existent, and she's instead used as more of a plot device, or a way to make something happen with little explanation, or a way to create a false sense of drama.

Every time she shows up, she's got new tricks and powers that have no limits.

We've gone from flaming arrows to blinding sheets of moonlight that incapacitate armies (Wolfheart had many of the same issues this short story did in the odds being to much needlessly.), creating weapons out of thin air, creating clones of herself, taking strolls through the Emerald Nightmare, and anything else that I'm forgetting.

Her impact on the story stopped being caused from her characterization. For the most part, Tyrande is completely replaceable with some random artifact that does "insert plot demands" in most of her post WC3 incarnations, because it was her power that defined her in the novels and actions, not so much her character.

Poorly explained, but ehh.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:59 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Back then "Super Powerful" was less powerful than it is nowadays.
Also true.

BTW, I enjoyed the story. The characters are interesting, the jokes are funny. The pandaren view of the Alliance is pretty accurate and describes the whole faction. The lore behind the dark shamans and ghost wolves is kinda interesting too.

Last edited by Kiraser; 03-28-2014 at 04:44 AM..
Old 03-28-2014, 03:01 AM

Trade Baroness - Admin

Virmen are cute. They should be taught.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:55 AM

Hon hon hon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Virmen are cute. They should be taught.
That I agree. But I can tell that this story was good because when I leveled my two characters in MoP (one Horde, the other Alliance) I never did the Valley, and yet, in this story, I can somehow see it, imagine how it works and I really like it. I can only hope to see this quality of story for short stories in WoD.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:11 AM

Drunk Assassin

The dwarf and the Celestials next. I am excited.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:32 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Micky Neilson confirmed that ceasefire means the Alliance and Horde are still at war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitter
Ian Bates
@TheRedShirtGuy

@MickyNeilson "Cease fire" implies the Alliance and Horde are still at war post SoO and just have a temporary peace (like in Wrath)? - 28 Mar

Micky Neilson
@MickyNeilson

@TheRedShirtGuy That's my understanding. Adding @RoBrooks13.
This makes Ashran a little less confusing.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:40 AM

Elune

Quote:
Fine, maybe I'm just tired and bitter.
Never noticed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korath View Post
That I agree. But I can tell that this story was good because when I leveled my two characters in MoP (one Horde, the other Alliance) I never did the Valley, and yet, in this story, I can somehow see it, imagine how it works and I really like it. I can only hope to see this quality of story for short stories in WoD.
Honestly, I think people are being too harsh on the valley. Don't get me wrong, it's not exactly my favorite zone either (it's a little too close to cataclysm's 'comedy and quest mechanics over gameplay'), but it's a good showcase for pandaren culture and the ecological mechanics of the continent. It and Krasarang give me something I've missed with the other warcraft races: diversity. Despite the people here all being the same nation, their lifestyles and histories differ. In addition, it gives us many pandaren that don't fit the stereotypical portrayal of their race. It's not perfect by any means, but I appreciate its effort a lot.

Quote:
p = angry playerbase
Bx = story involving faction x
a = horde
h = alliance

(Ba v Bh) -> p

When it comes to WoW players, psychology is an exact science. In fact, WoW is a testing base for applied psychohistory

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshadow View Post
Quick Answer: Goldmine tapped into the elements in a very different way, so it stands to reason that their powers have different limitations. Dark shamans can just enslave local spirits.
Real Answer: Goldmine is from a jokey cataclysm quest. Forget about it.

Author of the Pink Engine.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:55 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
We've gone from flaming arrows to blinding sheets of moonlight that incapacitate armies (Wolfheart had many of the same issues this short story did in the odds being to much needlessly.), creating weapons out of thin air, creating clones of herself, taking strolls through the Emerald Nightmare, and anything else that I'm forgetting.
I always wondered why Eranikus was so rude to Tyrande in Stormrage. It's like either he or Knaak have forgotten about their fight during the Second War of the Shifting Sands. I still think that the cleansing of Eranikus is the best Tyrande moment in WoW.
Anyway, I Tyrande just needs better written dialogues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Real Answer: Goldmine is from a jokey cataclysm quest. Forget about it.
Initiate Goldmine was more memorable than most of the Earthen Ring shaman in Cataclysm. Goldmine for president!
Old 03-28-2014, 07:02 AM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
Micky Neilson confirmed that ceasefire means the Alliance and Horde are still at war.

This makes Ashran a little less confusing.
Thanks for following up on that.

For all those who are angry at the lack of concessions made by the Horde, this means that concessions haven't been asked for......... yet. They would come up however later when an actual peace treaty was negotiated.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:04 AM

Trade Baroness - Admin

So... who feels bad when they kill Hozen, Virmen and the like? I certainly do. They're not evil, so it feels wrong to me.

Tags
mists of pandaria, nelves always get burnt, orcs are evil, panda power, world of warcraft