Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 03-15-2007, 10:09 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Default Why didn't the dragons fight the demons at the battle of Mt Hyjal

Why didn't they help? I mean they must have sensed the legion and they no longer had the excuse that if they faught they would simply be beaten by the Demon soul. It also seems strange that the night elves did not even bother to contact them.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:46 PM

Loremaster

As of WoW, the Aspects are all preoccupied in one way or another. For all we know, they might have already been kept away from interfering as early as RoC. As for their flights, it's possible that they would hesitate to do anything as massively intrusive as mount a large offensive against the Legion at Hyjal without the Aspects themselves present to "authorize" it. As it stands, the dragonflights are generally expected by their respective Aspects to keep their overt interference in mortal affairs to a bare minumum. Any sort of direct assault to defend the mortal armies would violate that.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:29 AM

Site Staff - News
Send a message via MSN to Ersinus

Also dont forget that Dragons, especially the aspects has recently regained their long lost powers by the destruction of the Demon Soul. During battle of mount Hyjal dragonflights were not as strong and numerous as in WoTA. If somehow they are involved in Hyjal, it is very minimal and indirect, they might gave some minor strategic support and intel to the mortals.

Last edited by Ersinus; 03-16-2007 at 03:32 AM..
Old 03-16-2007, 03:44 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Still, didnt the dragons realize that if the mortal armies were defeated all of Azeroth would have been destroyed. I undestand they should not interfere with mortal affairs but this was an emergency. Why didn't they make an exception?
Old 03-16-2007, 06:37 AM

Site Staff - News

Yes, thats why i said they might involved in the third war in minor level. They could not get involved like in WoTA, they just have recorved their powers, their dragonflights was not so numerous and strong. The Blue Dragonflight was almost wiped out, the Red Dragonflight was enslaved during the second war, they need time to recover.

But im glad that dragons have started to work with mortal races more actively as in WoW. Now they are not waiting till the last moment like in WoTA and act beforehand cooperating with mortals. For example the Bronze Dragonflight and all the Silithus and Cavern of times story.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:02 PM

Ranger

I think the dragons were probably present at the battle but were just not shown in W3 for gameplay reasons. It would have made the mission much easier if you had a bunch of dragons under your control to throw at the undead forces.

alternatively, the legion might have in heir hast to get to the world tree sent forces to distract them so they would not be present at Hyjal during Archimonde's ascent.
-I tread the path of Righteousness. Though it be paved with broken glass, I shall walk it barefoot; though it crosses rivers of fire, I will pass over them; though it wanders wide, the light of the Emperor guides my step.

Blessed is the mind too small for doubt
Old 03-16-2007, 04:17 PM

Site Staff - News

But it is not mentioned anywhere about dragons. As Medivh said "mortal races" discarded their own hatred and standed toghether against common foe. Main characteristic of the story of Warcraft III campaing was that mortals united can win any treat to the world. It would not be proper to put dragons into the whole conflict as direct players. They might be involved but in very minor stuff.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:05 AM

Hippogryph

It is possible that Medivh went to tell the Dragons why he had returned and likely ask them not to aid the "Mortal" races, Even Dragons will admit that the "Mortal" races are becoming more and more powerful
Old 03-17-2007, 07:47 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Huh? That doesn't make sense. Was he really willing to risk the world in order to to teach some lesson about being independent to the mortal races?
Old 03-17-2007, 09:11 AM

Priestess of the Moon

At the time the game was made the idea of dragonflights wasn't concieved yet, was it?

That might have something to do with it
Old 03-17-2007, 09:31 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by markellion
At the time the game was made the idea of dragonflights wasn't concieved yet, was it?

That might have something to do with it
You didn't read the Warcraft III manual or play the game, did you?
Old 03-17-2007, 09:43 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Oh duh I forgot dragons have been around since warcraft II

They didn't show them much in warcraft III though so I didn't notice

And I lost my manual

Last edited by markellion; 03-17-2007 at 09:50 AM..
Old 03-17-2007, 11:24 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by markellion
Oh duh I forgot dragons have been around since warcraft II

They didn't show them much in warcraft III though so I didn't notice

And I lost my manual
All the lore in the WoW site can be found in the WC3 manual. Sargeras as a titan, the aspects, Deathwing's treatchery, that's all been in since WC3.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:31 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrah
All the lore in the WoW site can be found in the WC3 manual. Sargeras as a titan, the aspects, Deathwing's treatchery, that's all been in since WC3.
Oh thinks I'll look for that
Old 03-17-2007, 04:05 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by emperium
Huh? That doesn't make sense. Was he really willing to risk the world in order to to teach some lesson about being independent to the mortal races?
Not so much "teaching a lesson" on the dragons' part. It's a standing order of sorts not to get involved in mortal affairs. If none of the Aspects were present to give the go-ahead, most dragons wouldn't willfully disobey their overall command to remain apart and not interfere.

Plus, since the betrayal of Deathwing, the remaining Aspects don't come across as being as tightly-knit and organized as they were leading up to the War of the Ancients. They work together when necessary, but the dragonflights just aren't as numerous and coordinated as they once were after millennia of Malygos being crazy and Alexstrasza being enslaved. Especially without the Red Aspect, since she was the "leader" of them all, wiith Neltharion being her staunchest supporter till his madness set in. The dragonflights only just got back their leadership, so it'll be a while before they can effectively defend Azeroth again. Until then, it's largely up to the other mortal races to protect the world.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:24 PM

Loremaster

To put it bluntly most of the dragon flights could give a rat's ass about alot of the world. The only one that really cares about the mortal races is the Red Flight. You practically have to threaten to destroy the world to get the Bronze, Green and Blue flights involved.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:34 PM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki
To put it bluntly most of the dragon flights could give a rat's ass about alot of the world. The only one that really cares about the mortal races is the Red Flight. You practically have to threaten to destroy the world to get the Bronze, Green and Blue flights involved.
Well the Battle of Mt Hjal was practically threatening to destroy the world - didn't Krasus say the dragons did help there?

EDIT: I don't recall, just asking.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:54 PM

Arch-Druid

Probably gameplay more than anything else. Somebody else asked why Medivh didn't warn Magni or Anasterian. I think the best answer to both of these questions is that Blizzard didn't think of it at the time. Or else they didn't want to add too many different elements to their story. Either way, it doesn't have much to do with the lore.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:16 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamestrider
Probably gameplay more than anything else. Somebody else asked why Medivh didn't warn Magni or Anasterian. I think the best answer to both of these questions is that Blizzard didn't think of it at the time. Or else they didn't want to add too many different elements to their story. Either way, it doesn't have much to do with the lore.
Quoted for truth.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:25 AM

Arch-Druid

Yeah, it is kinda like you can't use all the units in the first mission.

Good, then it's settled.