Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8776  
Old 03-11-2017, 03:16 PM
Arashi Arashi is offline

Eternal
Arashi's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,796

Default

You're just cherry picking cantus. Like always.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8777  
Old 03-11-2017, 03:53 PM
Cantus Cantus is offline

Ethermancer - Admin
Cantus's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DC, U.S.
Posts: 11,091
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
You're just cherry picking cantus. Like always.
You say this as if my day involves carefully looking users accounts up and finding only the things I like or hate about them. I'm going to make a shocking announcement...I fucking hate wasting time on this. Not the idea of listening to people or resolving issues, but the back and forth of "oh you're just biased" when the outcome isn't exactly what people desired.

I don't cherry-pick because I'm not here to dig through random user histories. I want you guys to do the work because you're the ones who actually feel insulted by these things. If you explain why you're insulted, and if that's a valid issue within the scope of the rules, I'm going to act on it. If it's not a valid issue within the scope of the rules (and because people freak out if I act outside them in even the slightest capacity), then there's nothing I'm going to do. The only look-ups I do are if a user has a distinct pattern of behavior that's toxic, and only to confirm that their toxicity is actually consistent.
__________________

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Reply With Quote
  #8778  
Old 03-11-2017, 04:03 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,145

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
You're just cherry picking cantus. Like always.
He's also making shit up.

Ive not proposed a rule (in this instance. Hell, ever. Ive discussed on how to cut back toxicity on the forums.), asked for a warning, and specified I dont want a ban, much less a blanket ban.

See: http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/...postcount=8692

Instead, Ive given my opinion on why Cantus is wrong in his comparisons.. Camparisons he started.

It was literal criticism of his stances, not even him. Hell, not even of Kakwakas outside of his posting habits.

The very closest Ive come in this conversation was a snide joke to Genya, and that was regarding title posts. Something I later said I was guilty of, and something Mertico reiterated, even including a sample.

Also, Nazja, it's dickweasle, not dick weasel. And uf youve got issues with it, ill stop.
__________________
Fucking Epic :X

Last edited by Ruinshin; 03-11-2017 at 04:17 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8779  
Old 03-11-2017, 04:07 PM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,378
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

I'm going to say this, in my position as one of the admins.

Words should not be banned. We're theoretically thinking, intelligent creatures. Words are only dangerous in how they are used. Besides and , which are censored more for comedic value than anything else, the mere presence of a word, even if it's used in its typical (and offensive) context, is not enough for site staff action. And here's the thing; this site does not have any rules about offending or being offended. That's outside of our purview.

Some content, namely sexually explicit or violent content, is banned, mostly because it can cause harm to the viewer (even if you think you've got a strong stomach or are hard to offend, like myself, you still don't want porn being posted on the board, looking it up at work and having your boss see it). The position of the site staff is to minimize harm, not to create comfort.

Similarly, there is no rule that necessitates high quality, constructive posting. That's why people like Necrophotic and Slowpokeking are allowed to stay here. Harassment, deliberately going after one of our users with the intent to cause mental harm or stress is against the rules, but I believe we must use very strict scrutiny to determine whether or not that is the case. Furthermore, spam is defined as the automated or repetitive posting of materials completely unrelated to the board or thread's topic with the intent to either disrupt its normal function or for monetary gain. Simply posting an article you disagree with is not spam, it's just sharing. The internet was made and designed for the purpose of sharing information, and I'm not going to try and pervert its original message.

So to you, Cantus, as your fellow admin, I say you're over reaching. And to you, users, like Ruinshin and Kakwakas, I say you need to realize that the only people who will agree with you one hundred percent want to take your money, your pride or your sweet, sweet ass. And I've got plenty of that already.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8780  
Old 03-11-2017, 04:24 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,384

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

I see only one solution to this problem then.

__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #8781  
Old 03-11-2017, 04:27 PM
Reinhardt Reinhardt is offline

Arch-Druid
Reinhardt's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,059

Default

What's the standard rate for agreeing with someone ?
I'm asking for a friend.
Reply With Quote
  #8782  
Old 03-11-2017, 04:29 PM
Cantus Cantus is offline

Ethermancer - Admin
Cantus's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DC, U.S.
Posts: 11,091
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
What's the standard rate for agreeing with someone ?
I'm asking for a friend.
$29.95 per minute unless you want a sexy voice. Then it's $40 flat. Sound effects are extra.
__________________

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Reply With Quote
  #8783  
Old 03-11-2017, 05:52 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

This forum doesn't protect people from harassment. Maybe it will use it as a facade to ban someone they disagree with but people get personal to try and hurt people all the time when it has nothing to do with the topic. It is just ignored if the speaker has shared some undesirable opinion before. This is why people freak out at any sort of moderation because it was never done fairly. It was always a flimsy excuse and done selectively.

There will always be an excuse as to why so-and-so can tell people they are whores or that they support genocide. That is how biases work. It is free speech when people are hostile to people you don't like and when they do like the poster it becomes protecting people from harassment. This is why I would rather have extremely limited moderation because I have no faith that anyone is going to protect me from getting harassed because I shared an opinion they don't like. It will only be used against me as a rationalization to censor me even if it isn't that bad because it covers up the real reason the moderation is taking place.
Reply With Quote
  #8784  
Old 03-11-2017, 10:30 PM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,378
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
This forum doesn't protect people from harassment. Maybe it will use it as a facade to ban someone they disagree with but people get personal to try and hurt people all the time when it has nothing to do with the topic. It is just ignored if the speaker has shared some undesirable opinion before. This is why people freak out at any sort of moderation because it was never done fairly. It was always a flimsy excuse and done selectively.

There will always be an excuse as to why so-and-so can tell people they are whores or that they support genocide. That is how biases work. It is free speech when people are hostile to people you don't like and when they do like the poster it becomes protecting people from harassment. This is why I would rather have extremely limited moderation because I have no faith that anyone is going to protect me from getting harassed because I shared an opinion they don't like. It will only be used against me as a rationalization to censor me even if it isn't that bad because it covers up the real reason the moderation is taking place.
There's a fine line between an odious opinion and harassment. I draw the line at taking action that could not possibly be said to be an expression of opinion.

Calling someone a whore on the board isn't harassment. Calling their employer and telling them they're a whore is.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8785  
Old 03-12-2017, 03:44 AM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,949

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
Also, Nazja, it's dickweasle, not dick weasel. And if youve got issues with it, ill stop.
Eh. I'm not sure whether it's because I'm not a native speaker, but that term seem more immature than insulting, so...

I'm just taking the feelings of the poor weasels into consideration, dyslexic or otherwise.
Reply With Quote
  #8786  
Old 03-12-2017, 07:30 AM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
There's a fine line between an odious opinion and harassment. I draw the line at taking action that could not possibly be said to be an expression of opinion.

Calling someone a whore on the board isn't harassment. Calling their employer and telling them they're a whore is.
That is fine with me. We have the ignore feature for odious personal attacks. What you said doesn't offer enough ambiguity to abuse. Rules need to be unambiguous because we don't have that kind of trust in the community and all relationships are based off of trust.

A lot of moderation usually just ends up with random permanent bans instead of progressively incremental warnings and suspensions which is something I don't like. The cuck thing felt arbitrary and any sort of 'conservative' insult to be banned was shot down which was kind of expected. If someone called me a whore and I called them a bitch I feel like a mod's personal feelings could result in me getting in worse trouble. The excuse could be that whore is a term of endearment in more liberal cultures and I am just being a narrow minded American puritan or something so it didn't count as a provocation. I rather just not have it be an enforceable rule.
Reply With Quote
  #8787  
Old 03-12-2017, 09:39 AM
Ragnahar Ragnahar is offline

Poor Soldier
Ragnahar's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 12,430
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I'm going to say this, in my position as one of the admins.

Words should not be banned. We're theoretically thinking, intelligent creatures. Words are only dangerous in how they are used. Besides and , which are censored more for comedic value than anything else, the mere presence of a word, even if it's used in its typical (and offensive) context, is not enough for site staff action. And here's the thing; this site does not have any rules about offending or being offended. That's outside of our purview.

Some content, namely sexually explicit or violent content, is banned, mostly because it can cause harm to the viewer (even if you think you've got a strong stomach or are hard to offend, like myself, you still don't want porn being posted on the board, looking it up at work and having your boss see it). The position of the site staff is to minimize harm, not to create comfort.

Similarly, there is no rule that necessitates high quality, constructive posting. That's why people like Necrophotic and Slowpokeking are allowed to stay here. Harassment, deliberately going after one of our users with the intent to cause mental harm or stress is against the rules, but I believe we must use very strict scrutiny to determine whether or not that is the case. Furthermore, spam is defined as the automated or repetitive posting of materials completely unrelated to the board or thread's topic with the intent to either disrupt its normal function or for monetary gain. Simply posting an article you disagree with is not spam, it's just sharing. The internet was made and designed for the purpose of sharing information, and I'm not going to try and pervert its original message.

So to you, Cantus, as your fellow admin, I say you're over reaching. And to you, users, like Ruinshin and Kakwakas, I say you need to realize that the only people who will agree with you one hundred percent want to take your money, your pride or your sweet, sweet ass. And I've got plenty of that already.
That's better.
__________________
Game over, man. Game over.
Reply With Quote
  #8788  
Old 03-12-2017, 12:02 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,145

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Eh. I'm not sure whether it's because I'm not a native speaker, but that term seem more immature than insulting, so...

I'm just taking the feelings of the poor weasels into consideration, dyslexic or otherwise.
As gani says..

Quote:
He's calling you a manwhore. The kind of ball-less tryhard who constantly hits on women, but it's completely see-through.
Dick Weasels have been extinct since the 1800s.

It was a small creature that burrows up through the meatus(pee-hole) and slowly eats your away from the inside
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #8789  
Old 03-12-2017, 01:39 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnahar View Post
That's better.
Some people have never had to interact with someone that won't filter their speech to them. They think their feelings are more important than any one else's. Being desensitized to speech that hurts your feelings or challenges your views is part of being in a democratic society. Letting people hide from it will only make their echo chambers worse because they won't know what to do when they are exposed to it.
Reply With Quote
  #8790  
Old 03-12-2017, 01:48 PM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,691
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
Some people have never had to interact with someone that won't filter their speech to them. They think their feelings are more important than any one else's. Being desensitized to speech that hurts your feelings or challenges your views is part of being in a democratic society. Letting people hide from it will only make their echo chambers worse because they won't know what to do when they are exposed to it.
No.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Reply With Quote
  #8791  
Old 03-12-2017, 04:12 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,491

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
There's a fine line between an odious opinion and harassment. I draw the line at taking action that could not possibly be said to be an expression of opinion.

Calling someone a whore on the board isn't harassment. Calling their employer and telling them they're a whore is.
Opinion on where posting in a thread just to insult someone and doing so multiple times for days/weeks/months on end, falls?
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #8792  
Old 03-12-2017, 04:29 PM
Frostwolf Frostwolf is offline

Elune
Frostwolf's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7,441

Default

Cantus likes to say that he doesn't follow users around digging through material and posts to enforce shit, but Genya called PJ a whore multiple times with no warning from Cantus. I called Genya a faggot in Spanish once and Cantus gave me a warning for it. This is the same guy saying this isn't a safe space.

Dude is a fucking hypocritical piece of shit who will probably ban me for calling him one. I can't take anything this chucklefuck says seriously because it's so selectively enforced.
Reply With Quote
  #8793  
Old 03-12-2017, 04:39 PM
Cantus Cantus is offline

Ethermancer - Admin
Cantus's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DC, U.S.
Posts: 11,091
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
Cantus likes to say that he doesn't follow users around digging through material and posts to enforce shit, but Genya called PJ a whore multiple times with no warning from Cantus. I called Genya a faggot in Spanish once and Cantus gave me a warning for it. This is the same guy saying this isn't a safe space.

Dude is a fucking hypocritical piece of shit who will probably ban me for calling him one. I can't take anything this chucklefuck says seriously because it's so selectively enforced.
You realize that I don't follow every post and thread, right? SoL is not the majority of my time or life. If someone reports a post or I happen to see it, then I make a comment. If a post isn't reported and I don't see it, I can't exactly call someone out for it.

That said, if Genya decides to call anyone a whore again, please do report it and site staff will respond appropriately.
__________________

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Reply With Quote
  #8794  
Old 03-12-2017, 05:08 PM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,378
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Opinion on where posting in a thread just to insult someone and doing so multiple times for days/weeks/months on end, falls?
It's still expressing an opinion. There are ample tools to ignore said opinions if you don't want to see them.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8795  
Old 03-12-2017, 05:27 PM
HalfElfDragon HalfElfDragon is offline

The draconic Titleless - Mod
HalfElfDragon's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 15,545
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Back to more important matters than your collective butthurt: My personal butthurt.

Who the actual fuck has been deleting thread tags?
Mostly me.
__________________
Quote:
Lucio Benado be wanting to say, Hey, what's up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Reply With Quote
  #8796  
Old 03-12-2017, 05:32 PM
Ragnahar Ragnahar is offline

Poor Soldier
Ragnahar's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 12,430
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
You realize that I don't follow every post and thread, right? SoL is not the majority of my time or life. If someone reports a post or I happen to see it, then I make a comment. If a post isn't reported and I don't see it, I can't exactly call someone out for it.

That said, if Genya decides to call anyone a whore again, please do report it and site staff will respond appropriately.
Hopefully by assing and nothing else, if even that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
Cantus likes to say that he doesn't follow users around digging through material and posts to enforce shit, but Genya called PJ a whore multiple times with no warning from Cantus. I called Genya a faggot in Spanish once and Cantus gave me a warning for it. This is the same guy saying this isn't a safe space.

Dude is a fucking hypocritical piece of shit who will probably ban me for calling him one. I can't take anything this chucklefuck says seriously because it's so selectively enforced.
Cantus is probably doing no favors by being here poisoning any discussion about rules, after showing his ineptitude. But, for better or worse, he's got power around here. I'm just gonna toss my lot in with Omacron.
__________________
Game over, man. Game over.

Last edited by Ragnahar; 03-12-2017 at 05:36 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8797  
Old 03-12-2017, 05:43 PM
Cantus Cantus is offline

Ethermancer - Admin
Cantus's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DC, U.S.
Posts: 11,091
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnahar View Post
Hopefully by assing and nothing else, if even that.
I didn't say I would be at the helm of it. But truth to tell, I'm not fond of Genya's willingness to immediately break into hostility. I'm old-school SoL though, and that generation saw trolling as an awkward waltz, not the bludgeon it represents today. The old bludgeon is now considered a light rubber physician's mallet in comparison to daily user conversations that border on battering ram.

Either way, I'm not a singular voice or vote. There are three other admins of equal standing, a super-admin (Warlock) who can override any of us, and a host of moderators whose opinion we take seriously. The staff collectively votes (within a timely fashion) and the action follows.
__________________

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Reply With Quote
  #8798  
Old 03-12-2017, 06:48 PM
Ragnahar Ragnahar is offline

Poor Soldier
Ragnahar's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 12,430
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
I didn't say I would be at the helm of it. But truth to tell, I'm not fond of Genya's willingness to immediately break into hostility. I'm old-school SoL though, and that generation saw trolling as an awkward waltz, not the bludgeon it represents today. The old bludgeon is now considered a light rubber physician's mallet in comparison to daily user conversations that border on battering ram.

Either way, I'm not a singular voice or vote. There are three other admins of equal standing, a super-admin (Warlock) who can override any of us, and a host of moderators whose opinion we take seriously. The staff collectively votes (within a timely fashion) and the action follows.
My humble opinion is that you should be nowhere near the position going off of your displays. But like I said, the only piece I've got in this moronic pie is support for Omacrons position, not that it'll do any good. I could get into long winded discussions on the topic, but it's not like to do anything, that's the admins job.
__________________
Game over, man. Game over.
Reply With Quote
  #8799  
Old 03-12-2017, 09:15 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
You realize that I don't follow every post and thread, right? SoL is not the majority of my time or life. If someone reports a post or I happen to see it, then I make a comment. If a post isn't reported and I don't see it, I can't exactly call someone out for it.

That said, if Genya decides to call anyone a whore again, please do report it and site staff will respond appropriately.
This is how regulatory capture works!
Reply With Quote
  #8800  
Old 03-12-2017, 09:17 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,384

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnahar View Post
My humble opinion is that you should be nowhere near the position going off of your displays. But like I said, the only piece I've got in this moronic pie is support for Omacrons position, not that it'll do any good. I could get into long winded discussions on the topic, but it's not like to do anything, that's the admins job.
Cantus shouldn't be allowed to be an admin because he participates in discussions?
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
administrators, admins, assing, moderations, moderators, mods, no gifs allowed, regulations, rules, scrolls of lore, serious business, tag police

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.