Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 04-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Ashendant Ashendant is offline

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 15,557
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
By that... logic, you can do whatever you want to someone or something that can not communicate with you?
How did you reach that conclusion?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 04-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Revenant Revenant is offline

Revenant - Moderator
Revenant's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,278

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
How did you reach that conclusion?
Like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
I preferred if we substituted all mentions of Human in law with Sapient Being
You say that the term "human" when in law should apply to all "sapient beings" in an effort to separate or include fetuses, but you do not define how to determine if something is "sapient".

SomeRandomEvilGuy responds:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomEvilGuy View Post
Right, so while we're still not sure what beings are 'sapient', we're going to do what exactly with all these animals that might or might not be sapient? And all those sapient animals in zoo's, we're going to let them go free and give them benefits? In countries with the draft, will they face conscription? How will they plead in court if they commit a crime?
He is right. There is little to no way to define something besides yourself to you as sapient (and even that is iffy). Some kind of Turing test would not work on something completely uneducated or alien in thought patterns.

You respond:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
If they were sapient they would be able to act on those situations
So you define "sapient" as things that can act on situations that SomeRandomEvilGuy mentioned. Therefore, laws should only apply to such things, and things that can not act are exempt from the protection of the law. What kind of standard is that?

So by that logic, you can kill (it would not be murder) someone or something that can not communicate with you.

And you go on to say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
A human is not sapient until a certain age i guess...

Maybe changing it to Individuals of sapient species would be more fitting?
So now you have to get around to defining "individual" without looping around back to "sapient", or you just smashed your own argument.
__________________
^Ignored again.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.

Last edited by Revenant; 04-10-2011 at 08:34 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 04-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Ashendant Ashendant is offline

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 15,557
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
You say that the term "human" when in law should apply to all "sapient beings" in an effort to separate or include fetuses, but you do not define how to determine if something is "sapient".
Actually that thought is directed more towards marriage than abortion

Quote:
He is right. There is little to no way to define something besides yourself to you as sapient (and even that is iffy). Some kind of Turing test would not work on something completely uneducated or alien in thought patterns.
By the time that happens we probably devolp a way

Quote:
So you define "sapient" as things that can act on situations that SomeRandomEvilGuy mentioned. Therefore, laws should only apply to such things, and things that can not act are exempt from the protection of the law. What kind of standard is that?

So by that logic, you can kill (it would not be murder) someone or something that can not communicate with you.
A sapient being would be able to deal with that situation even without being able to communicate directly

Quote:
So now you have to get around to defining "individual" without looping around back to "sapient", or you just smashed your own argument.
individual=a sole being
Sapient=an intelligent being
species=a group of biological beings

Hence my proposal is changing every mention of human into "a being of a intelligent species"(which needed to be officially recognized as sapient), although i would prefer to avoid term species, because i want the laws to include something like sapient computer and robot rights
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 04-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Revenant Revenant is offline

Revenant - Moderator
Revenant's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,278

Default

Why would you want to make a law that we have no current ability to make sense of, use, or enforce? Pardon me if I am wrong, but how did this go from fetuses to some weird zoophilia fantasy that you did not think through? You answered my "how" with a "By the time that happens we probably devolp a way" which seems to be your main support.
__________________
^Ignored again.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.

Last edited by Revenant; 04-10-2011 at 09:05 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 04-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,378
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

One thing I've been making a conscious effort to do since I was about 15 or so, and succeeded, was replacing most usages of the word "person" with "individual".
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 04-10-2011, 10:06 PM
Yuber8900 Yuber8900 is offline

Site Staff - Moderator
Yuber8900's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,660

Default

But hivemind!
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 04-10-2011, 11:34 PM
Nozdormu Nozdormu is offline

Lord of Time
Nozdormu's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,862

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
A sapient being would be able to deal with that situation even without being able to communicate directly
Not if their retarded. Think about for example Stephen Hawking. Without his speeking machine he has no way of communicating and can't be able to "deal with the situation". Does that mean that one of the worlds smartest ain't sapient?
This really shouldn't be so hard: "Sapience is often defined as wisdom, or the ability of an organism or entity to act with appropriate judgment"
Basically being sapient means you can take your own choices other than just following your instinct.

Also: It should be forbidden to use or talk about the meme "My little pony" outside of MLP forums.
__________________
{ Bronze Dragons fly at 88 mph }

Last edited by Nozdormu; 04-10-2011 at 11:39 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 04-10-2011, 11:54 PM
Slywyn Slywyn is offline

Elune
Slywyn's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LA. Not the cool one.
Posts: 5,784

Default

It should be illegal to have that bug in forum signatures. Damn thing distracts me.

Also, Power Rangers should be made illegal. That series has been resurrected since before -I- was born.

Last edited by Slywyn; 04-10-2011 at 11:59 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 04-11-2011, 12:00 AM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,378
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slywyn View Post
It should be illegal to have that bug in forum signatures. Damn thing distracts me.

Also, Power Rangers should be made illegal. That series has been resurrected since before -I- was born.
How old are you?

Also, you do know that power rangers has been around in Japan for over 35 years, right? It's as classic as Spiderman.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 04-11-2011, 08:12 AM
Slywyn Slywyn is offline

Elune
Slywyn's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LA. Not the cool one.
Posts: 5,784

Default

Spiderman isn't as stupid.

And younger than 35.
__________________
Slywyn's Fanfiction Listing
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 04-11-2011, 08:27 AM
Ashendant Ashendant is offline

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 15,557
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozdormu View Post
Not if their retarded. Think about for example Stephen Hawking. Without his speeking machine he has no way of communicating and can't be able to "deal with the situation". Does that mean that one of the worlds smartest ain't sapient?
This really shouldn't be so hard: "Sapience is often defined as wisdom, or the ability of an organism or entity to act with appropriate judgment"
Basically being sapient means you can take your own choices other than just following your instinct.

Also: It should be forbidden to use or talk about the meme "My little pony" outside of MLP forums.
But Stephen hawking found a way to deal with his situation a speaking machine created by others.
Quote:
It should be illegal to have that bug in forum signatures. Damn thing distracts me.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 04-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Gortrash Gortrash is offline

Elune
Gortrash's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,050

Default

You know what should be illegal? FUCKING PONIES! All pony pictures should also be banned from the Internet. Anyone caught posting such crap should be shot in the head without a trial.

Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 04-11-2011, 09:10 AM
Ashendant Ashendant is offline

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 15,557
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gortrash View Post
You know what should be illegal? FUCKING PONIES! All pony pictures should also be banned from the Internet. Anyone caught posting such crap should be shot in the head without a trial.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 04-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Gortrash Gortrash is offline

Elune
Gortrash's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,050

Default

Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 04-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Ashendant Ashendant is offline

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 15,557
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gortrash View Post
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 04-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Ded Chikn Ded Chikn is offline

Elune
Ded Chikn's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Baltimore, Marylan- *gunshot*
Posts: 6,315
BattleTag: DedChikn#1567

Default

I still don't understand the pony thing, but one thing I've learned in my life is never get mad at an internet meme because you will be flooded with it.
__________________
"Make work your favorite. That's your new favorite."
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 04-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Revenant Revenant is offline

Revenant - Moderator
Revenant's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,278

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ded Chikn View Post
I still don't understand the pony thing, but one thing I've learned in my life is never get mad at an internet meme because you will be flooded with it.
Rule 19!
__________________
^Ignored again.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 04-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Reyson Reyson is offline

Arch-Druid
Reyson's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,174

Default

Did anyone say meme?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzsche
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 04-11-2011, 07:34 PM
AndyJP AndyJP is offline

Eternal
AndyJP's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 2021
Posts: 4,508

Default

Is it piracy if I download video or audio from youtube?
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 04-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Cantus Cantus is offline

Ethermancer - Admin
Cantus's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DC, U.S.
Posts: 11,091
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
Is it piracy if I download video or audio from youtube?
If there is normally a fee to obtain/own that material, then yes. Also...why the fuck would you download something from youtube, the quality would be shit?!
__________________

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 04-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Nozdormu Nozdormu is offline

Lord of Time
Nozdormu's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,862

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
Is it piracy if I download video or audio from youtube?
You're not one of those lame re-uploaders I hope.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
http://cdn1.knowyourmeme.com/i/000/112/747/original/blehlehlehlehleh.gif?1302416900
You are taking it too far. Create your own pony thread or something so I can not care.
__________________
{ Bronze Dragons fly at 88 mph }

Last edited by Nozdormu; 04-11-2011 at 11:22 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.