Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 05-24-2007, 01:26 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Bleh. Not really. It's mostly going to be Scholomance stuff.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:51 PM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
Bleh. Not really. It's mostly going to be Scholomance stuff.
Well Marris could always pull of a Vereesa. Run into Scholo, shout out "I'm pregnant!" and run away and vanish behind a corner.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:52 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

*Cough* How do you even remember me saying that?

Actually I think Nathanos might play a role in the battle at Hearthglen... hm. Actually I have a cool idea for Nathanos.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:24 PM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Quote:
*Cough* How do you even remember me saying that?
One of the funnier things I've had the advantage to read here. xD
Old 05-25-2007, 12:58 PM

Mountain Giant

Good stuff. I only had an issue with the wolf attack. There was a sense of confusion in it, and a sense of futility, but no real sense of pain (until the ear-splitting noise). His situation afterwards was funny (in a somewhat dark and certainly perverted way). Other than that, I really liked the beginning of the chapter where we are introduced to Mxarin, and I found your portrayal of Sylvanas interesting. So, please keep it up! It's going well as far as I can tell.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:43 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Chapter 3: Lair of the Damned

The still and unchanging water of Darrowmere Lake sifted away as the small skiff pushed itself along its dank and dusky surface. The skiff contained two passengers, the tall and villainous figure of Kel’thuzad, and a shorter robed man. The man was holding a long thin stick, which he was using to guide the small boat to a distant island.

Kel’thuzad had done his job, he had done everything he had been asked to. He had approached the two Dreadlords, who he had been told would be there. He had told them of the power that could be there’s, and the glory that awaited them all if they did as he said. He had done this at the behest of one man… or was it two? He couldn’t keep it straight anymore. The boat finally ran aground as it came upon the isle of Caer Darrow. Kel’thuzad slipped the ferryman two coins before disembarking onto the island.

He floated across the well-marked paths of the island, past the site where Gul’dan had stolen one of the Elves’ runestones, and finally into the island’s large keep. No one had been here in months, the old keep’s ruins lying in destruction, like an open wound. Kel’thuzad blinked and then floated up to the large oaken doors, banging them open on his way in. He quickly headed down a dark path, and then pulled down a small torch on the wall, and like a trigger, the wall behind it opened up. Kel’thuzad smirked and then floated down this new passageway into the basement of Caer Darrow, into his lair known as Scholomance.

The sight of several shrouded figures practicing their art quickly greeted him, raising several human skeletons to serve them for a time. These were the fruits of his labor, the results of his endless experimentation with the idea of life after death. If he were a sentimental man or even if he were still a man it would have brought a tear to his eye. He floated across the barren chasm of the room and was eventually greeted by the sight of Headmaster Gandling. Gandling was a very tall but very thin undead man. He reached out his hand, Kel’thuzad shook it.

“Has there been any word from the master, Gandling?” Kel’thuzad looked down at the imposing teacher of the dark arts.

“In fact there has, master.” Gandling bowed his head. “He requests your immediate correspondence as soon as you are available.”

“Good.” Kel’thuzad bowed. “I will contact him immediately.”

The dark wizard floated past Scholomance’s headmaster before passing into a rather large very lavishly decorated chamber. Along the walls, green and purple paint could be seen in long intertwining strands, as a large brazier held by the statue of a skeleton with the face of an orc. Kel’thuzad floated up to the brazier and poured a vile of black liquid into it, and then a hand-full of purple powder. The mixture inside began to glow an icy blue colour. Kel’thuzad cast up his hand, and a small flame exploded inside of the brazier. Kel’thuzad picked up a large black tome from the side of the room, and opened in, before extending his hands into the air.

“Auctorita abies excessum mutuo in gen Ner’zhul!” Kel’thuzad’s hands grew a bright green colour, as the flame before him danced and reacted, before forming into the rather gruesome helmet of the Lich King.

“It is done, my master.” Kel’thuzad bowed his head. “Balnazzar and Varimathras are now part of the plan.”

“Excellent, my faithful servant. Soon all will bow to the will of the Lich King.” The rather intimidating figure laughed in the flame’s light. “And as I have predicted, the strongest and smartest remaining of the dreadlords, Balnazzar will try and usurp the human’s by taking their form and attempting to usurp their leadership… but he will be incapable of doing so alone and will be required to ask you for help.”

“What would you have me do, great one?” Kel’thuzad asked.

“He will find opposition in the human’s leader, the Ashbringer as they call him. Father of Renault and… well you know who his other son is. You must help him destroy this Ashbringer, this Mograine. And once he is destroyed, he will become one of us.”

“And how would you have me destroy him, master?” Kel’thuzad questioned. “His strength his legendary, and I doubt even my dark powers would be enough to defeat him.”

“You will not be required to do anything, Kel’thuzad. For his destructor will come from within. His son, Renault longs for power of his own and it is through Balnazzar that you will reach him, and through him that you will defeat his father.”

“As you wish, great one.” Kel’thuzad looked up at the figure. “But what of Sylvanas and her forsaken, my lord? What would you have done with her?”

“Sylvanas is an interesting case. Though it would appear that Arthas was foolish for having raised her from the dead, she has proven herself very useful, very useful indeed. Though she betrayed and tried to kill him, she has also succeeded in taking out what remains of my greatest enemy, the Burning Legion.”

Kel’thuzad nodded, waiting for his master to respond.

“If there is one thing I am not, it is wasteful. Destroying her, or anyone else at this point would only prove detrimental to my cause.” The Lich King laughed to himself. “No Kel’thuzad, we will allow Sylvanas and her minions amnesty for now, as we do all the free beings of Azeroth…”

“Of course, my lord. And how goes the planning of our invasion in the months coming?” Kel’thuzad blinked. “Have you completed the plans for our attack yet?”

“I’m nearly finished, but shall we go over them again, just to be certain?” Ner’zhul asked.

“Indeed, from what you’ve told me, Medivh’s last spell book-“ Kel’thuzad held up the black tome he held, “-will plan an integral role in the invasion. We will use it’s dark magic in order to transport the necropolises to various key attack points throughout the world, and from those key attack points we will assault the capital cities of the various factions around the world. But we will not succeed in our attacks, why is that again my master?”

“That, is something you will find out in time, my ever faithful servant. Now go, meet with Balnazzar, plant the seeds that will re-grow the glorious Scourge Empire.” The lich king nodded. “My will goes with you.”

“Thank you, my lord.” Kel’thuzad nodded his head and then bowed, as the blue flame extinguished itself. “I will do what I can…”

Kel’thuzad left the chamber, heading for an adjacent room. The sound of heavy machinery filled what was left of his ears. In this room, master Gandling stood looking over a group of Acolytes who were using gigantic sewing machines to punch together various corpses, forming the powerful abominations of the scourge. “Gandling, I have contacted the Lich King. He expects an army of ten thousand before we begin our invasion of Lordaeron. You have 6 months before the great fortress of Naxxramas appears above Stratholme… are you prepared?”

“I am prepared, master.” Gandling said to the tall Lich. “I am prepared…”

----------------------------------------

Okay, my garoglyes fandom is pretty evident in this one. That's where I got the latin for spell casting from. So um... yeah, this one was pretty chatty, but the next one will be a huge battle between the Crusade and the Forsaken. So that should be fun.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:20 AM

Eternal

I have just one thing to point out. You shouldn't make the Lich King refer to Arthas in the third person, as he IS Arthas. Technically, we would refer to both Nerzhul's and Arthas' actions as his own, not as if he was now a being independent from both of them.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:22 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

That's way too confusing. I'm just gonna have him refer to both of their actions in the third person. He's not going to appear much, though (I'm questioning if he'll ever appear again at this point really). So it's pretty moot.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:05 AM

Arch-Druid

I just read the most recent chapters, and I like it a lot. If I had one complaint, it would be that the wolf attack was rather unclear, as Inquisitor said. But at this point, we can begin to see the disparate plot threads weaving themselves together. In fact, some things (exactly what happened between the elder Mograine, his son, and the Scourge) make more sense here than they do in Blizzard's official explanations. Keep it up.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:14 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Another excelent chapter, but I have one thing to complain about.

When The Lich King talks about Mograine's other son, he suddenly becomes very unlike an evil overlord. I understand it's a nice pass to mention his existance but keep his identity behind the curtain, but the way tLK mentions him is quite... sloppy.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:02 PM

Eternal

Just read the last 2 chapters, the second one was a pretty good read, Mxradin´s personality seems kinda rushed sometimes during his undead encounters, he seems to change his mood from shitting his pants to a very casual conversation with Shalindra too fast IMO, same thing for Sylvanas, you need to find a way to build up the "dark" mood.

The last chapter was ok, maybe Kel´thuzad and the Lich King should more " evil undead" like Kerrah said.

I´m pretty curious how you´ll handle the Ashbringer storyline into your fanfic, do you have anything planned for Finnal Goldensword?

By the way, was Kel´thuzad little trip in Darrowmere lake a reference to Charon?

It sure seemed like it.

Warlock, Lord of Scrolls of Lore: Shut up, Timolas

Last edited by Vicious; 05-27-2007 at 02:05 PM..
Old 05-27-2007, 05:35 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

The styx ferrymen? If so, yes.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:32 AM

Eternal

So any ETA on the next chapter?

Old 05-28-2007, 11:20 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

I started writing it and got to about 5 pages... and I was still setting up the scene... henceforth, I need to re-write it.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:06 PM

Elune

I wish people would ask an ETA for my next chapter.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:16 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrah View Post
I wish people would ask an ETA for my next chapter.
I should really read your fic too Kerrah, i´ll be doing that this week.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:17 PM

Elune

Wow. I guess self-pity does work!

Old 05-29-2007, 04:15 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

You asked for it! I deliver it!

Chapter Four: The Seeds of Blind Faith

Smash! The Ashbringer charged it’s way through ranks of undead as they charged at Mograine. Fairbanks stood behind him, blasting away at the few lucky undead who managed to avoid the sweeping wrath of the Ashbringer. Beside him, stood a small stocky dwarf wielding a rather gigantic axe, sweeping it around and doing his own part.

The attack was simple, while Mograine, the dwarf and Fairbanks drew the Forsaken’s forces to the front lines, while Taelan and the Crusade’s covert expert a paladin named Lady Blaumeux, were sneaking around in the township’s sewer system, placing explosives at key points in it’s infrastructure.

At the same time, Zeliek, the paladin who was so vehemently devoted to the Silver Hand, as well as Renault Mograine and Dathrohan were both sitting on a nearby hill with the bulk of the Crusade’s forces, waiting for the walls to come tumbling down.

Zeliek was a tall, noble beautiful young man. Honorable and duty-bound, he was also weak-willed and hesitant. He recognized the path of self-destruction this crusade would lead to, but refused to do anything about it out of the fear he had for his companions.

Renault and Dathrohan were sitting together on a log nearby; the three had positioned themselves looking over the army, as well as the city where Mograine and the others were still doing battle.

“He will betray us.” Dathrohan said.

“What?” Renault turned to his elder quickly, never having taken much interest in him before.

“Zeliek. You’ve heard his tirades, his support of the Silver Hand. He has no true belief in our noble cause! He wants to go back to the days where a bunch of foolish paladins put bandages on real problems!” Dathrohan clenched his fists. “Unlike the silver hand, however, we won’t just be putting Bandages on problems!”

“No… you’ll be cutting the leg off.” Zeliek mumbled under his breath, having heard everything they’ve said.

“What was that, boy?” Dathrohan kicked dirt at Zeliek.

“Nothing, sir.” Zeliek closed his mouth and bowed his head down.
“See what I mean, son?” Dathrohan asked the younger Mograine. “No respect.”

Balnazzar didn’t know why Kel’thuzad had told him to turn this young man into a weapon for them both, he didn’t know… but he could already see why he had chosen this fellow. He was young, he was brash, he would do anything that this man he had impersonated would tell him as long as it led to power and glory.

“And then, the human jailer told me to strip down to-“ Mxardin was recounting his recent history to the Banshee Queen.

“Lady Sylvanas!” the gruff voice of Sylvanas’ champion, Nathanos echoed across the palace gardens where the two elves had been conversing.

“What is it Nathanos?” she looked up to find him circling the garden on the back of a giant bat.

“My lady, Hearthglen is under heavy assault.” He jumped down to the ground. “Our forces are hard pressed to-“

“So the day has finally come, the Scourge has returned to reclaim what was once it’s own.” Sylvanas put her hand to her chin. “How many are there?”

“No, my lady.” Nathanos shook his head.

“No?” Sylvanas raised what was left of her eyebrow. “What do you mean by no?”

“It’s the humans, they’ve managed to form an army, but it’s strange… only three of them are attacking.” Nathanos put a hand to his chin.

“The defense at Hearthglen can’t handle three paltry humans?” Sylvanas asked.

“It’s not three paltry humans, it’s a dwarf and two humans, one of which wields… the Ashbringer.” Nathanos glowered.

“Mograine.” Sylvanas growled. “I will lead the counter-attack personally, no doubt Mograine’s forces are waiting nearby for an attack.”

“What would you have me do, General?” Mxardin bowed his head, now quite comfortable with the Forsaken.

“You told me you served at Hearthglen, right?” Sylvanas questioned, Mxardin nodded. “I want you to come with me then, your knowledge of the area might come in handy.”

“I’m heading out, Nathanos, mobilize the Forsaken army.” Sylvanas began walking out of the garden.

“That might prove unwise, my lady.” The gaunt figure of Varimathras landed on the ground in front of her.

“Out of my way, dreadlord.” Sylvanas spat at the tall figure.

Varimathras smirked. “Come now, my lady. Be reasonable, if you leave the capital city it will leave our position here in jeopardy.” Varimathras put a hand on her shoulder. “I am concerned for your safety, my lady.”

Sylvanas looked at his hand with disdain. Then put a hand to her head, as if a strong smell had just overcome her. “Maybe you’re right, dreadlord. I’m feeling very weak.”

“Call off the attack, Nathanos, we’ll wait for the humans here.” Sylvanas smirked, then half-collapsed and walked off.

Mxardin motioned to leave when Nathanos grabbed his arm. He turned to him Nathanos glowered. Mxardin blinked.

“Don’t you have a house to haunt?” Nathanos asked Varimathras sarcastically. He grunted and then exploded in a flurry of green energy.

“What’s going on?” Mxardin asked.

“We’re going to Hearthglen.” Nathanos said blankly. “We’re going to help them.”

“But Sylvanas said…” Mxardin blinked, not fully trusting this human.

“Can’t you see she’s being influenced, you elven fool!” Nathanos pulled out his sword and pressed it against Mxardin’s neck. “If you don’t come with me now, I’ll find out what your blood tastes like.”

Mxardin gulped. “Sure, let’s go right now,” quite scared of the tall and wide-shouldered undead man. “Are we going to bring anyone else along?”

“No one else is free of the demon’s influence.” Nathanos growled, whistling for his bat, which floated down and picked the pair up.

“I wish someone would take him out.”

“What?” Renault asked the older man.

“Zeliek, he’s an embarrassment.” Dathrohan grinned. “Whoever destroyed him would have my utmost respect.”

“Destroy him? He’s been given a chance by Abbendis to prove himself…”

“And where is Abbendis?” Dathrohan asked. “Hiding in her war room.”

“I don’t know about this, Dathrohan…” Renault bit his lip.

Dathrohan extended a knife in his hand. “No one will ever know.” He grinned.

Renault blinked, as he accepted the knife, and then walked up towards Zeliek. Zeliek turned to face the approaching young man. “What is it, Mograine?” Zeliek asked respectfully.

“I-“

“Look out!” Zeliek yelled, pushing Renault down and extending his blade, now locked in combat with a Forsaken assassin. The two struck at each other repeatedly locked in heavy combat. Dathrohan was up immediately, striking through the forsaken with one swipe of his sword.

“Thank you, brother.” Zeliek sighed, quickly relieved.

“Don’t thank me, thank Renault.” Dathrohan smiled.

“Thank you-“ Zeliek had turned around, only to find Renault’s dagger inches inside of his stomach. He gasped for air before falling to the ground. His blade falling next to him. Dathrohan grinned.

“Good work, boy. The traitor is finished.” Dathrohan grinned, picking up Zeliek’s sword. “Now go! Inspire the troops, and finish off this town!”

Renault ran off, sword in hand. The sounds of Blaumeux’s explosions filling the air.

Dathrohan blinked as the sword glowed with white energy. He looked up as the sword floated out of his hands and into the hands of the Lich Kel’thuzad.

“Good work.” Kel’thuzad floated over to the corpse of the proud knight. “Renault’s first step as a servant to our cause is complete.”

“Now, witness the power of Ner’zhul!” the sword grew blight, the energy now bleeding into Zeliek’s corpse. “Arise, Sir Zeliek the Conqueror!”

Zeliek’s eyes lit up with white energy as he stood up. “No!” Zeliek screeched. “What have you done to me?”

Kel’thuzad handed him his rune-blade. Zeliek accepted it with no remorse in his eyes or in his movement. “I don’t want this! Stop it!” Zeliek cried in anguish.

Dathrohan laughed maniacally. “Now you serve us, oh noble paladin!”

Meanwhile, Renault was standing on a hill overtop of their troops. “These curs are responsible for the death of our noble champion, Zeliek!” Renault raised his sword in the air. “Will we allow this?”

The cry from the troops was unanimous. “No!”

“Charge!” yelled Renault, leading the invading swarms into the township’s outer limits.

---------------------------------------------------

I kinda rushed the Zeliek thing, but it was hard to describe what was happening.

All in all I *REALLY* like the title, and theme of this chapter. The Sylvans stuff is mostly to show Varimathras' influence over Sylvanas, and to explain Mx's presence in Hearthglen next chapter.

Last edited by Aldrius; 05-29-2007 at 02:50 PM..
Old 05-29-2007, 04:28 AM

Elune

Band-aids? In Warcraft?

A tiger? In Africa?

Last edited by Kerrah; 05-29-2007 at 04:30 AM..
Old 05-29-2007, 04:39 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

FINE

Bandaging.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:05 AM

Mountain Giant

Yeah, Zeliek's...conversion was very rushed. Don't be afraid to take your time with a scene especially one that is that important. Anyway, I thought the chapter was very good overall. The dialogue and character interaction was excellent (that certainly seems to be your strong point). The battle scenes were all right, but WarCraft battles are hard to pull off in prose so no big deal. Bottom line: I'm hooked, keep it coming.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:00 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Chapter Five: The Fall of Hearthglen

Mxaka Duskstalker, brother of Mxardin Duskstalker, was an adept and powerful ranger of some regard. His long black hair a perfect match for his brother’s blood red hair. Where Mxardin was passionate and nervous, Mxaka was cold and efficient. Where Mxardin was absent-minded and scatterbrained, Mxaka was intelligent and focused. While Mxardin had (or had, had) faith in forces greater than he, Mxaka had faith in himself and his soldiers.

Mxaka had been one of Sylvanas’ soldiers when Arthas had invaded Quel’thalas. He had been in charge of the west flank when the soldier’s of the Scourge had poured into Silvermoon. Being the efficient and practical strategist he was, he had ordered his troops to fall back into the trees. Abandoning their brethren and their city to the dark prince and his forces.

Up until today, from that moment, they had been wandering the plaguelands. Hunting, pillaging, fighting the Scourge at any opportunity they had been afforded. For the last year or so, though, there hadn’t been any undead at all. On the other hand, there hadn’t been much of anyone or anything else. Today, they were approaching what Mxaka knew as the township of Hearthglen. The largest villaige in the region south of Stratholme, their goal for the coming months was to claim one villaige for themselves, and use it as a base of operations with which to form a campaign against the rest of the Scourge. Today was simply a scouting mission.

From the moment the group got within earshot of hearthglen, they could tell that this would be no mere scouting mission. The town was gripped by war. Thousands of Forsaken soldiers charged from the front gate, only to be met with the hefty blade of the Ashbringer. Mxaka recognized him almost instantly. What was going on here?

“Ashbringer!” Mxaka called out, as he and his bowmen begin firing their arrows off at the undead pouring out of the city. He didn’t expect Mograine to turn around immediately during a battle of course, but he wanted to show that he was pledging his support to what was likely the greatest warrior on the planet.

The battle was at a stand-still, as Blaumeux and Taelan crawled through the underground sewer system of Hearthglen. They place another explosive charge underneath the city’s infrastructure. Only three more charges and the entire town’s walls would be going up like a powder keg.

Just then, at that very moment, a bat came swooping in from the sky. Dropping it’s two passengers in the very center of the town square, Mxardin and Nathanos, the Dark Lady’s champions.

“Nathanos!” cried the town’s magistrate. A mishapen and portly forsaken named Sir. Dethrend. “We’re under siege.”

Nathanos growled and grabbed the Bureaucrat by what was left of his throat before tossing him to the ground. “I can see that, you old fool.” Nathanos grabbed a sword from the ground and lifted it up in the air. “Warriors of Sylvanas! Rally yourselves! We must beat back this encroacher!”

Mxardin had taken this opportunity to make his way to the top of the church, looking out over the battleground. He couldn’t make out the participants, but there was one thing that truly caught his eye.

“The Ashbringer…” Mxardin mumbled to himself, then louder. “The Ashbringer!”

“The Ashbringer…” Dethrend gulped.

“Sir Anduin Lothar…” Nathanos mocked, picking Dethrend back up. “Get over it and rally the troops, this is one battle I do not intend to lose!”

Nathanos had once been a human ranger, and like many beings who had followed unusual paths for their race, Nathanos had been mocked for his choice of profession. “No self-respecting human would ever run around with a bow and arrow” he had been told. “That’s the work of the effeminate elves” another had mentioned to him. This was Nathanos’ chance to prove himself.

The entire city was in chaos, and Mxardin was trying not to get run over as he bustled about. This entire chain of events had been a complete shock to him. Not only was he on the side of the undead, but he was using his skills as a physician to heal them as well! I suppose this was better than wandering the plaguelands, though.

Mxardin kneeled down next to a dying undead, his head pulled off of his body.

“What happened?” Mxardin asked quickly.

“Two humans… a woman and a man… below ground… they were setting charges, and the woman blasted me with the light…” the forsaken’s corpse crumbled in Mxardin’s hands as he finished telling his story.

“…They must be trying to blow the foundations!!” Mxardin ran down the steps in a nearby building into the sewer as fast as he could, his robe trailing behind him.

As he reached the bottom of the steps, he ran into Blaumeux and Taelan. The two of them were about to place the last of the charges when Mxardin arrived. They turned to face him as he fell face-first into the water below the sewer.

Mxardin realized that he had made a small mistake.

“Probably should have gone for some troops…” Mxardin blinked slowly and got up. Taelan was flabbergasted.

“Mxardin?” Taelen asked as his voice cracked with emotion.

“Too late.” Blaumeux grinned, throwing the last explosive and then hitting a switch on her belt. Blowing the fuses buried under the town. The walls exploded, causing the debris around town to come tumbling down. This was the signal, and as Mxardin lay next to Taelan in the rubble, the Crusade’s forces came charging. And the first victory of the Crusade was almost at hand.

=================================================

Kind of a practice chapter to get me back in the swing of things.

Obviously not my best. A LOT of jumping around.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:21 PM

Elune

If Mxaka had just been wandering the place for all that time, how did he know Mograine? If he had met the Scarlet Crusade before that, why hadn't he joined, or at least allied, with them?

Anyways, the chapter was okay. I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes on.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:16 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Mograine was famous prior to the fall of Lordaeron, wasn't he?

This is the problem with long hiatuses. I've completely lost my train of thought.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:03 AM

Elune

Quote:
Mograine was famous prior to the fall of Lordaeron, wasn't he?
But he wasn't the Ashbringer before that.