Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 01-04-2015, 10:06 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
No comment.
You are going to lose Anansi and people won't remember you fondly!
Old 01-04-2015, 10:09 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are going to lose Anansi and people won't remember you fondly!
People won't remember me at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:11 PM

Elune

Honestly, the undead should just remain magical. If we move into the scientific spectrum then robots are a far superior solution while remaining thematically similar. It is only with magic that it makes sense because human remains can have special magical powers, while in the real world they are a terrible building material that is actively disintegrating.

As Hojo noted, the more scientific you get the less undead you get because it does seem to be a scientific impossibility and anything even imitating undeath is just prohibitively unfeasible. That is why scientific vampires are so due to a virus/mutation/whatever while zombies are just rabid humans (there is this cool Nat Geo doomsday scenario with weaponized rabies).

Thinking about it, if one wanted to make use of human bodies there is not much you can do. Besides the obvious uses as food or fertilizer perhaps the humans can be used for a living supercomputer if they were somehow linked up (that was the original plot of the Matrix, not the bullshit humans for energy crap).
The most interesting use for human bodies I can imagine is to make them unwilling cyborgs. Say some government/alien/AI makes a Neural-Machine Interface that can bypass the higher brain functions and just hijack the body. It is entirely scientific yet the end result is a zombified servant who will do whatever is instructed to it. To top it off, in a very Scourgesque manner the person's consciousness could still be active, but utterly unable to act, merely observe the actions of their own body which may be mundane or monstrous, totally at the discretion of the controlling entity.

Anyhow killjoy out, have fun with zombies
Old 01-04-2015, 12:18 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Honestly, the undead should just remain magical. If we move into the scientific spectrum then robots are a far superior solution while remaining thematically similar. It is only with magic that it makes sense because human remains can have special magical powers, while in the real world they are a terrible building material that is actively disintegrating.

As Hojo noted, the more scientific you get the less undead you get because it does seem to be a scientific impossibility and anything even imitating undeath is just prohibitively unfeasible. That is why scientific vampires are so due to a virus/mutation/whatever while zombies are just rabid humans (there is this cool Nat Geo doomsday scenario with weaponized rabies).

Thinking about it, if one wanted to make use of human bodies there is not much you can do. Besides the obvious uses as food or fertilizer perhaps the humans can be used for a living supercomputer if they were somehow linked up (that was the original plot of the Matrix, not the bullshit humans for energy crap).
The most interesting use for human bodies I can imagine is to make them unwilling cyborgs. Say some government/alien/AI makes a Neural-Machine Interface that can bypass the higher brain functions and just hijack the body. It is entirely scientific yet the end result is a zombified servant who will do whatever is instructed to it. To top it off, in a very Scourgesque manner the person's consciousness could still be active, but utterly unable to act, merely observe the actions of their own body which may be mundane or monstrous, totally at the discretion of the controlling entity.

Anyhow killjoy out, have fun with zombies
You just described the Borg to a very large degree.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:41 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kynrind View Post
You just described the Borg to a very large degree.
Cybermen of Doctor Who as well, though they use little of the original body as far as I can tell. I don't know too much about the Borg to say just how similar they are.

I think the Borg make use of the person's brain (to enlarge their hive mind and help their search for knowledge), so the higher brain/body disconnect is not really there or at least not as pronounced. The cyborgs I envision would not come with any kind of hive mind and a central mind would have to be designed separately, they are just automatons controlled by the interface.

Cybermen again don't use much of the body, and the way I see it efficiency is the name of the game. It is more economic to make use of the 570 billion kg of human bio mass than replace it with metal like Cybermen or build stuff from scratch (Skynet). Simply put, the human body is fairly crappy as a combat machine (or just crappy in general) and you would certainly not emulate it when making new troops/servants but this is just about making use of the bodies already present.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:40 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Cybermen of Doctor Who as well, though they use little of the original body as far as I can tell. I don't know too much about the Borg to say just how similar they are.

I think the Borg make use of the person's brain (to enlarge their hive mind and help their search for knowledge), so the higher brain/body disconnect is not really there or at least not as pronounced. The cyborgs I envision would not come with any kind of hive mind and a central mind would have to be designed separately, they are just automatons controlled by the interface.

Cybermen again don't use much of the body, and the way I see it efficiency is the name of the game. It is more economic to make use of the 570 billion kg of human bio mass than replace it with metal like Cybermen or build stuff from scratch (Skynet). Simply put, the human body is fairly crappy as a combat machine (or just crappy in general) and you would certainly not emulate it when making new troops/servants but this is just about making use of the bodies already present.
I never understood that about the Cybermen. They are good, until someone makes a better version, or better more efficient programming. There's no way the Cybermen could be considered perfection.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:42 AM

Eternal

Sky City, baby.

Assuming the plague's scientific, Acoma's far enough away from any major population centers as for infection to not be an issue, as long as outsiders don't carry it.

Assuming it's magical, between the Kachina Dancers and the Kiva societies I'd think that they could muster up enough mojo to keep us safe.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:39 PM

Problemsolver

Quote:
People won't remember me at all.
I'll tell on you. I'll go out on the twitter and the tumblr and the myspace and the facebooks and what ever you kids use these days and expose your shenanigans.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:12 PM

Site Staff - Admin

My poor dog would be so scared near a zombie. Think of all the needless animal suffering there would be in the apocalypse.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:18 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
My poor dog would be so scared near a zombie. Think of all the needless animal suffering there would be in the apocalypse.
How domesticated animals would fare in a world suddenly stripped of human life is a thought that troubles me more than I'd care to admit.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-15-2015, 07:20 PM

Elune

Quote:
How domesticated animals would fare in a world suddenly stripped of human life is a thought that troubles me more than I'd care to admit.
I would live. Don't worry about human life.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:32 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
You'd be a great comfort animal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:32 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
You'd be a great comfort animal.
What the hell?
Old 01-15-2015, 07:37 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
What the hell?
You're a bunny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:43 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Would you be able to care for all the animals left behind?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-15-2015, 07:46 PM

Elune

Quote:
Would you be able to care for all the animals left behind?
Sure. It can even be a plot for a movie.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:48 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Sure. It can even be a plot for a movie.
...Fair enough. You may live.
Quote:
Quote:

Tags
apocalypse, conservation of energy, speculation, zombies