Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Tabs or Spaces?
Tabs 5 62.50%
Spaces 2 25.00%
I don't write code 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-18-2017, 08:06 AM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,136

Haste Computers and Technology

We have a Science thread and a Computer Problems thread, but no thread concerning the science of computers. This is for talking about code, coding, and other related subjects.

Let's start things off with a good old-fashioned holy war. Do you use tabs or spaces in your code?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-18-2017, 08:48 AM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Computer Science is for people that can't be engineers right?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-18-2017, 09:38 AM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,961

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
Computer Science is for people that can't be engineers right?
My degree claims that I am both.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-18-2017, 09:44 AM
Gromak Gromak is offline

Eternal
Gromak's Avatar
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 4,989

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
My degree claims that I am both.
The child of Light and Shadow.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-18-2017, 09:48 AM
Cantus Cantus is offline

Ethermancer - Admin
Cantus's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DC, U.S.
Posts: 11,091
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Default

Both. Tabs for column organization, spaces for code, and never the twain shall meet.
__________________

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-18-2017, 10:38 AM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
My degree claims that I am both.
A computer engineer and a computer scientist are two different majors in the US. The former is basically an electrical engineer that takes more high level electives in computing. Are you that or is it more like a software engineer?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-18-2017, 10:49 AM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,136

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
Computer Science is for people that can't be engineers right?
I'm sorry you couldn't understand information theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Both. Tabs for column organization, spaces for code, and never the twain shall meet.
What kind of absolute lunatic would use internal tabs? I'm obviously asking about indents.

...Wait, was that not obvious?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-18-2017, 10:54 AM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,961

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
A computer engineer and a computer scientist are two different majors in the US. The former is basically an electrical engineer that takes more high level electives in computing. Are you that or is it more like a software engineer?
More in the direction of what you would call a computer scientist.

Engineer is just a title I'm allowed to use.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-18-2017, 10:56 AM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I'm sorry you couldn't understand information theory.
Pfft!

Quote:
What kind of absolute lunatic would use internal tabs? I'm obviously asking about indents.

...Wait, was that not obvious?
Just use the enter key internally!

What about comments? Do you put them above the code or on the same line?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-18-2017, 10:59 AM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,136

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
What about comments? Do you put them above the code or on the same line?
Jesus, on the same line? Are you MAD? I put them before, because vertical space is easier to navigate than the horizontal.

I've heard tell that some heretical sects actually put their comments on the line after the code.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-18-2017, 11:02 AM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Jesus, on the same line? Are you MAD? I put them before, because vertical space is easier to navigate than the horizontal.

I've heard tell that some heretical sects actually put their comments on the line after the code.
Yeah I always did above. It looks neater. I have never heard of people not using tabs for indentation before. I have heard of heretics doing comments on the same line though.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-18-2017, 11:33 AM
Cantus Cantus is offline

Ethermancer - Admin
Cantus's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DC, U.S.
Posts: 11,091
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Default

I've seen in-line tabs. My keyboard did flood with the salt of a thousand crying souls.

But in-line comments...haha...hahahahaha...hahahahahhahaha...e veryone learns the madness. Comments, comments everywhere. In-line, next line, past line, even in-between variables.
__________________

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-21-2017, 05:53 AM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,136

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
Yeah I always did above. It looks neater. I have never heard of people not using tabs for indentation before. I have heard of heretics doing comments on the same line though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
I've seen in-line tabs. My keyboard did flood with the salt of a thousand crying souls.

But in-line comments...haha...hahahahaha...hahahahahhahaha...e veryone learns the madness. Comments, comments everywhere. In-line, next line, past line, even in-between variables.
There are some seriously perverse people out there.

So what text editors do y'all use? I used Notepad++ for the longest time, but I finally agreed to try out Atom this year and holy fuck is it better in pretty much every way.

Vi and Vim are for hipsters. I think that goes without saying, right? They're the 'inverted controls' of programming.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-21-2017, 06:12 AM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,961

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
There are some seriously perverse people out there.

So what text editors do y'all use? I used Notepad++ for the longest time, but I finally agreed to try out Atom this year and holy fuck is it better in pretty much every way.

Vi and Vim are for hipsters. I think that goes without saying, right? They're the 'inverted controls' of programming.
So you're one of those Linux proto-hipsters?

I actually use vi when I have to use Linux. Mostly because I use a subsystem and not a full Virtual Machine.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-21-2017, 06:14 AM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,136

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
So you're one of those Linux proto-hipsters?

I actually use vi when I have to use Linux. Mostly because I use a subsystem and not a full Virtual Machine.
No, I actually do most of my work in Windows. Otherwise I use virtual environments (for Linux) and Eclipse (for mobile development).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-21-2017, 06:17 AM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,961

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
No, I actually do most of my work in Windows. Otherwise I use virtual environments (for Linux) and Eclipse (for mobile development).
I've only heard of Linux users using Notebook++.

I just use Visual Studio.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-21-2017, 06:18 AM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,136

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
I just use Visual Studio.
Heh, how quaint.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-21-2017, 06:19 AM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,961

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Heh, how quaint.
We can't all be proto-hipsters.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-21-2017, 06:21 AM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,136

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
We can't all be proto-hipsters.
I bet you'd never even heard of Atom before. It's pretty obscure.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-21-2017, 06:24 AM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,961

Shadow Orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I bet you'd never even heard of Atom before. It's pretty obscure.
In that case, are you sure you should be sharing your arcane secrets so readily?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-21-2017, 12:36 PM
Reinhardt Reinhardt is offline

Arch-Druid
Reinhardt's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,059

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
Computer Science is for people that can't be engineers right?
No you train as a. Engineer then when it's time to get a job you end up in computer science.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-21-2017, 01:02 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
No you train as a. Engineer then when it's time to get a job you end up in computer science.
It is a lot easier to be outsourced as a computer programmer I think. IMO engineering skill demand appreciates more with experience than a computer programmer. Physics doesn't change the same way coding language does. There is more difference between an engineer with 25 years experience and one without than a programmer. That is at least what I have been told by people in industry and one of the rationals for my choice.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-21-2017, 01:12 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,136

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
Physics doesn't change the same way coding language does.
Yeah, that's true. It's important for a programmer to understand how to think in terms of data structures, complexity, etc, but if you can't keep up with the changing technology then you're gonna be pretty useless in a year or three. Standards, languages, and practices are constantly changing, and I wouldn't be surprised if the entire game gets turned over when quantum computing gets off the ground.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-22-2017, 12:05 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Yeah, that's true. It's important for a programmer to understand how to think in terms of data structures, complexity, etc, but if you can't keep up with the changing technology then you're gonna be pretty useless in a year or three. Standards, languages, and practices are constantly changing, and I wouldn't be surprised if the entire game gets turned over when quantum computing gets off the ground.
I wanted to be a programmer for most of my adolescence play but an internship in high school really turned me away. At least where I did it I sat in a computer chair most of the time and stared at lines of text. I wanted to be able to move around and visualize more in a career. I like programming as a side thing or an additional duty instead of the main focus.

Has anyone here programmed in Ruby? Is that useful for anything?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-22-2017, 12:44 PM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,961

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
Has anyone here programmed in Ruby?
I dabbled. It's alright.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
computers, realspace, science, survey, technology

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.