Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 07-04-2017, 01:40 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Social Media is great for commentary, but fails in terms of community building. This is mostly tied in with the fact that you have to reveal a good chunk of who you are (anonymity argument) as well as the fact that disagreement means someone just goes off and builds their own rival community, and dissolution is inevitable.

Reddit has less of this problem (it's the happy medium between Social Media and hardcore discussion boards), but it's still evident when you look at the number off game discussion boards (games, gaming, truegaming, etc). Discussion boards also have the benefit of allowing other discussion to occur (e.g. Blizzard games overall, general chat, etc) with a predefined community. Namely (and controversially), the same rules that govern Warcraft chat govern General chat, whereas Reddit is too controlled to even allow general chat to occur.

Add on the fact that it has terrible community controls (e.g. post/thread moving, moderation, signatures, etc) and it's just not conducive to building things up. You can't be "yourself" and anonymous on Facebook. You can on Reddit, but there's little identifying you outside meme style kitsch (e.g. the watercolor guy drawing things). In discussion boards, you can stylize yourself without requiring a memetic fake personality. You can have one, it's just not mandatory.

In terms of the Discord, we're treating it like an extension of the Forum, but more general channels. It's more like a live discussion format as opposed to a commentary one.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:03 PM

Eternal

What's going on.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:23 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
What's going on.

Whether or not classic discussion boards are the most efficient place for discussion, or tech has evolved enough that moving to a different platform is useful.

Also, I missed the Invision comment. I'll take a look to see if it's a good update.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:43 PM

Elune

I rather like Vb compared to other social media types. Even Reddit isn't as good as this forum type for conversation.

As for recruiting at other forums, just be subtle about it.

Go out, be a good poster in lore centric topics, and just throw stuff in like "Oh, we talked about this over at Scrolls of Lore, and yadaya".

If the forums got subs, throw a link to your profile and stuff in it.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:20 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
I rather like Vb compared to other social media types. Even Reddit isn't as good as this forum type for conversation.

Go out, be a good poster in lore centric topics, and just throw stuff in like "Oh, we talked about this over at Scrolls of Lore, and yadaya".

Vb really is a lot better. Every type of social media has serious problems when it comes to maintaining a community. I'm sure vBulletin has some problems as well, but at least here you can set up a system where actual discussion can take place.

Social media's just trash, really.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 07-04-2017, 05:20 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

So I took a quick look at Shekinah's suggestion, but it's not really a huge difference between vB and Invision. The bigger thing is that we need to move from vB version 3.x to 5.x.

That said, Shekinah, mind PMing me the link to the website in question? I want to do a quick run through just for due diligence's sake.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:22 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
So I took a quick look at Shekinah's suggestion, but it's not really a huge difference between vB and Invision. The bigger thing is that we need to move from vB version 3.x to 5.x.

That said, Shekinah, mind PMing me the link to the website in question? I want to do a quick run through just for due diligence's sake.
I wasn't using 5, but as a heads up from my understanding, lots of the more useful mods and such were never updated with 5. I don't know if you guys use any of the addons, but be careful if you do upgrade.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:54 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

The forum format doesn't need change, it only requires a new focus after most of the ppl had abandoned on WOW lore.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:17 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
I wasn't using 5, but as a heads up from my understanding, lots of the more useful mods and such were never updated with 5. I don't know if you guys use any of the addons, but be careful if you do upgrade.
Thanks for the tip.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:09 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:

Out of curiosity, what other forums do our various posters frequent? Both related to WoW lore and general nerd and/or geekery.

There used to be a major crossover between posters on the official Story Forums and Scrolls of Lore, I don't know whether that's still true.

MMO-Champ, miscellaneous subreddits, 4chan?
Old 07-05-2017, 11:11 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
Out of curiosity, what other forums do our various posters frequent? Both related to WoW lore and general nerd and/or geekery.

There used to be a major crossover between posters on the official Story Forums and Scrolls of Lore, I don't know whether that's still true.

MMO-Champ, miscellaneous subreddits, 4chan?
I'm on a writing website called Scribophile, which has a pretty active forum. I don't actually post there very often, however.

Beyond that, I occasionally (as in, once every few weeks) post in /r/Morrowind or /r/Daria.

That's about it.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 07-06-2017, 01:09 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

I'm subscribed to a handful of TV show and gaming subreddits. Individual subreddits can often be really circlejerky and trend-based, but as a whole Reddit is honestly a very diverse online space.

But other than that, this is the only message board I still go to. Used to browse, but never post at MMOchamp and the offical forums.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:12 AM

Elune

The only other place I post much on are the Erfworld forums, I will try to drop a line about this place on the sly when it is appropriate. Same for other places I go to.

Though obviously we'd get most possible recruits from Warcraft related websites. So a couple of our members with subscriptions should try and subtly (or not so subtly) recruit on the official forums, especially the lore section. Also on fan websites.

Tags
death to the living!, moderations, scrolls of lore