Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > StarCraft Discussion

Old 07-30-2010, 01:19 PM

Chimaera

Default Duran: What happened to him? (Spoilers?)

So with everything involving the hybrids and how they are supposedly going to lead to the end of the entire universe, what ever happened to Samir Duran from Brood War? He was the one that was working to create the hybrids, now they've ben finished and have begun wrecking up the galaxy... so where's Duran? Is it possible that he wasn't an infested Terran like we were lead to believe in Brood War? Is it possible that he was in-fact this new "Dark Xel'Naga" that we've been introduced to, just using some sort of ultra high-tech shit to mask who he was? I'll be the first to admit that I haven't kept up on my SC lore NEARLY as much as my WC lore so if Duran's fate was already touched on somewhere else, just delete this. Otherwise, discuss
Old 07-30-2010, 02:12 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

He's Dr. Narud!

Unless Narud is just a red herring.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:15 PM

Chimaera

I dunno "Duran" spelled backward just seems a bit TOO obvious.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:32 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Well, Duran was a more prominent character in Brood War's zerg campaign, so I think he has increased likelihood of showing up in Heart of the Swarm. It's obvious he's involved somehow, either he's Narud, he made the Hybrids, or he is/is working for the Dark Voice.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:43 PM

I wonder if Dr. Narud was somehow involved with the secret level in SC2...

Too bad that nothing ingame suggested that...

But hey, at least he is happy to buy even more Protoss and Zerg samples from us! :9
Old 07-30-2010, 03:15 PM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Well, Duran was a more prominent character in Brood War's zerg campaign, so I think he has increased likelihood of showing up in Heart of the Swarm. It's obvious he's involved somehow, either he's Narud, he made the Hybrids, or he is/is working for the Dark Voice.
Maybe it's both. The more I think a bout it, the more I think that it's very likely that Narud is actually Duran and has been working for the mysterious evil. According to the prophecy, Kerrigan is/was supposed to stop the Hybrids from taking control of the swarm. If Narud is in-fact Duran and is working for the mysterious evil (who is more than likely a Xel'Naga himself), he would have known that by collecting the Xel'Naga artifacts they could take Kerrigan out of a seat of power with relative ease...

Chain of events:
-He is told about the artifacts and ordered to gather them
-He gathers the artifacts and convinces Valerian that by using the artifacts they can take Kerrigan out of the picture, making him look like "hot shit"
-Valerian falls for it and, with Raynor's help, assaults Char and nuetralizes Kerrigan
-Now nothing stands in the way of the Swarm being taken over by the Hybrids...

The question now is, how do we stop this from happening now?
Old 07-30-2010, 03:44 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalenvor View Post
Chain of events:
-He gathers the artifacts and convinces Valerian that by using the artifacts they can take Kerrigan out of the picture, making him look like "hot shit"
-Valerian falls for it and, with Raynor's help, assaults Char and nuetralizes Kerrigan
I want to add something.

-Mengsk, who knew about the plan the whole time but was feigning ignorance, smuggles Tychus into Raynor's Raiders in order to have Kerrigan killed while she is most weak.

I have a feeling the story goes that Dr. Narud (assuming he is Duran) went to Mengsk with the information about the artifacts and persuaded him that it could allow him to kill the Queen of Blades. Mengsk, knowing the plan would require Raynor's skill and leadership, sent Narud to Valerian, knowing that Valerian would take the information and run with it. While this was happening, Mengsk released Tychus knowing he could get really close to Raynor, allowing him to be at Raynor's side when Kerrigan is finally weakened. Tychus would then kill Kerrigan.

The change in the prophecy comes in the fact that Raynor saved Kerrigan's life ("Her life will be in your hands") and then escapes with her to the Hyperion, taking her far away from the Dominion like he said he would earlier in the missions.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:55 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

What does a depowered/disinfected Kerrigan have that is any better than the Queen of Blades? That's the question, and the only answer I could possibly give is "She's not a psychotic, genocidal bitch anymore." That still doesn't really help though, because the Overmind specifically created Kerrigan with the intent to overthrow its controller. Why fuck with the only trump card you have?

Maybe she isn't completely human again, maybe she's a hybrid now, a species that could compete with the Zerg-Protoss hybrids psionic potential without the apparent psychic controls that seem to be in place at a genetic level with them.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:57 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

I just wish she kept her wing thingies. Those were cool.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:01 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I just wish she kept her wing thingies. Those were cool.
For once I agree with you.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...~Thomas Jefferson

So instead of seeing this as a continuation of an era of the 20th century that gave us so much debt and destruction and undermined our liberties and conditions today that are so dangerous, let us think that we are now moving into a new era, a new era where we are going to concentrate on liberty and freedom and property rights and peace. I believe that is the cause that we should lead and I thank you very much for being part of it.~Ron Paul
Old 07-30-2010, 04:08 PM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Maybe she isn't completely human again, maybe she's a hybrid now, a species that could compete with the Zerg-Protoss hybrids psionic potential without the apparent psychic controls that seem to be in place at a genetic level with them.
I'm inclined to agree with you here. I read somewhere else, dont remember if it was on these forums or another. But It's possible that the energy of the Xel'Naga artifact didn't fully remove the zerg infestation. Maybe she's more of a hybrid than an infested terran. She has her human emotions and whatnot back, but maybe she still holds the power to control the Swarm?
Old 07-30-2010, 04:24 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Exactly.

Here is the thing, the Overmind created her, but he was still bound to the Dark Voice. Remember back to the Prophecy cinematic. She spoke about the coming destruction, about hearing "voices among the stars", and in the end said that she was going to embrace the coming oblivion.

I would not be surprised if we learn that Kerrigan during SC2 was not even the same as the Kerrigan we knew from SC1. The Dark Voice is growing in power, and he was influencing her much like he did the Overmind in the past, yet her human nature made it impossible to control her on the level he once controlled the Overmind.

I have a theory that the Dark Voice was the one pushing her to gather the artifacts, hoping that he could prevent her transformation back to a dominate human, and thus lose his already weak control over her. Though that would clash with the idea that Duran (who I theorize either is working for the Dark Voice, or even IS the Dark Voice) being leader of the Mobieus Foundation, as they worked counter to that goal.

Now that she is dominantly a human (but not fully human, as hinted by her tendril hair remaining), the Dark Voice can no longer control her. She is weak however, and the events of Heart of the Swarm will see her regain her power most likely by incorporating some less invasive zerg DNA and/or collecting protoss/xel'naga artifacts, but without the weakness of being influenced. She will basically relink the bond with the Swarm to a level that even the Dark Voice can not break it.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:35 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Maybe Blizzard expect us to think exactly that 'its too obvious to be true' to mislead us from the fact that he is actually Duran.
Xie wants YOU to check Wulfang brainchild RIGHT NOW. SO click on this text
Old 07-30-2010, 05:36 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zula View Post
Maybe Blizzard expect us to think exactly that 'its too obvious to be true' to mislead us from the fact that he is actually Duran.
Yeah. They even look the same.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...~Thomas Jefferson

So instead of seeing this as a continuation of an era of the 20th century that gave us so much debt and destruction and undermined our liberties and conditions today that are so dangerous, let us think that we are now moving into a new era, a new era where we are going to concentrate on liberty and freedom and property rights and peace. I believe that is the cause that we should lead and I thank you very much for being part of it.~Ron Paul
Old 07-30-2010, 05:49 PM

Eternal

I asume that when all the characters such as Zeratul and Kerrigan speak about the return of the Xel'naga in Starcraft II, it is acutally the coming of the Hybrids? Since the Hybrids are like the new generation of Xel'naga.

I think Dr. Narud defintly is Duran and we will see more of him in Heart of the Swarm. Kerrigan will probably still be the main character though, gathering the scattered Zerg to obey her while Duran might try to become the leader of the Swarm himself. But Kerrigans Zerg would now be allies of Jim Raynor and Zeratul. The game would end with the fall of Arcturus Mengsk and the coming of the Hybrids who are led by a fallen Xel'naga known as the Dark Voice.

Also Zeratul says that the artifacts you gather in Wings of Liberty are the key to the end of all things. So I guess they are not only good? But it makes sense since the artifacts made Kerrigan more human and this caused a gap in the Zergs leadership for a while and that allowed the Dark voice, through Duran, to try to take control over the Zerg.

Last edited by RobLore; 07-30-2010 at 05:52 PM..
Old 07-30-2010, 07:36 PM

Elune

Did someone turn off the artifacts at 95% if Kerrigan is almost, but not totally, human?
Old 07-30-2010, 08:15 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Did someone turn off the artifacts at 95% if Kerrigan is almost, but not totally, human?
Well the theory behind it is hardly fullproof.

Honestly, this plot has gotten so fucked up and complicated I'm not even going to venture a guess as to what's going to happen next...
Old 07-30-2010, 09:10 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
Well the theory behind it is hardly fullproof.

Honestly, this plot has gotten so fucked up and complicated I'm not even going to venture a guess as to what's going to happen next...
She must re-zerg herself? Who knows.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:34 AM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandius View Post
She must re-zerg herself? Who knows.
She doesn't necessarily have to. The zerg listened to her when she was human before (At least, when not under the influence of the Overmind or a cerebrate). Without the Overmind or cerebrates, the zerg should, in theory, listen to the strongest psionic force telling them what to do.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:55 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicilianNecktie View Post
She doesn't necessarily have to. The zerg listened to her when she was human before (At least, when not under the influence of the Overmind or a cerebrate). Without the Overmind or cerebrates, the zerg should, in theory, listen to the strongest psionic force telling them what to do.
Seems like even the Overmind and the Cerebrates had some specific limitations in that regard, though. If it were just a matter of a powerful psionic presence dominating the Swarm, then either the Overmind or the other Cerebrates would have theoretically been able to exert control over the Garm brood after Zasz's death. Instead it was implied that without its specific Cerebrate to control it, a brood was lost to the Swarm and had to be exterminated rather than reclaimed, like each brood was somehow "keyed" to its own leader and couldn't be co-opted by another Cerebrate in its absence.

They didn't exactly adhere to that in Brood War though, since Kerrigan seems to run around assassinating the old zerg leadership left-and-right and their broods just ended up defaulting to her control instead of going crazy like the Garm brood did without its proper leader.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:36 AM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Seems like even the Overmind and the Cerebrates had some specific limitations in that regard, though. If it were just a matter of a powerful psionic presence dominating the Swarm, then either the Overmind or the other Cerebrates would have theoretically been able to exert control over the Garm brood after Zasz's death. Instead it was implied that without its specific Cerebrate to control it, a brood was lost to the Swarm and had to be exterminated rather than reclaimed, like each brood was somehow "keyed" to its own leader and couldn't be co-opted by another Cerebrate in its absence.

They didn't exactly adhere to that in Brood War though, since Kerrigan seems to run around assassinating the old zerg leadership left-and-right and their broods just ended up defaulting to her control instead of going crazy like the Garm brood did without its proper leader.
Maybe it's like this:
If you have a cluster of servers, and one of the CPUs dies, the others can pick up some of that load, but then the entire system is degraded. It's perhaps better to just remove the damaged server from the network.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:25 PM

Huntress

Quote:
Man, we're talking about the same Blizzard that released the end of Wings of Liberty almost three years ago. Sometimes, being obvious and / or a bit childish is their way

I guess the Narud / Duran thing is obvious only for people who already knows about Duran and wants to know about his whereabouts. Other people probably didnt thought much about that one-shot character that appeared in an easy mission :p

Last edited by X-Man; 08-02-2010 at 12:27 PM..
Old 08-02-2010, 12:29 PM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

To be fair, at the time it was only 1/3 of the way into the game
Old 08-02-2010, 04:16 PM

Warden

There was an interesting part in the Moebius Factor mission where Kerrigan said something along the lines of "I see through your Dr. Narud's petty disguise", to which Narud, seeming surprised replies "This Queen of Blades IS rather irritating". It seemed pretty suspicious. It's after you destroy the 2nd data core, if anyone wants to hear it.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:40 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicilianNecktie View Post
There was an interesting part in the Moebius Factor mission where Kerrigan said something along the lines of "I see through your Dr. Narud's petty disguise", to which Narud, seeming surprised replies "This Queen of Blades IS rather irritating". It seemed pretty suspicious. It's after you destroy the 2nd data core, if anyone wants to hear it.
I remember that, but I totally didn't think of it that way till you mentioned it.

I always thought she was talking about how he is in league with Mengsk and the Dominion, while disguising himself as head of a neutral party.

Also, looking at the two portraits, both Duran and Narud have the exact same facial hair. The biggest issue is that Duran and Narud have different hair color, skin color, and I think accents, but considering Duran was merely a more powerful being parading as a Terran, it could be that he can change his form as he pleases.

Last edited by ScytheRexx; 08-02-2010 at 04:44 PM..