Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 01-06-2011, 06:19 AM

Arch-Druid

Default Archaeology... can we have more artifacts and digsites?

I've been working on this secondary skill for awhile and read every text of the artifacts I found. Somehow... I just feel it was not enough.

We only have:

Night Elf, Dwarf, Fossil, Troll, Tol'vir, Nerubian, Vrykul, Orc, Draenei.

That's 9 categories. I hope we can get more types of artifacts from digging. There's no need to be epic gears, that's fine. I just want to know more lore, story and background of each races' history. I wish it could be more like the text or book which records more past events of their ancestors.

And somehow. I believe we can have more races' dig sites. And I've got a few ideas.

Tauren

Tauren is an ancient race of Azeroth, it's history can track back to at least 10000 years before the opening of the Dark Portal. And i don't believe such an ancient race lack any archaeological dig sites. The Tauren artifacts could give us more of the tauren's culture details such like how their hunting goes, their relationship with kodos and wyverns, and their bloody history when they have conflicts with the centaurs and maybe, quilboars. Yes. that means we can dig the taurens' artifacts from some of the centaur village since they have constant war with each other before. And for that, the centaurs must have some loots pillaged from the taurens.

Dig Site:

Northern Barrens -
Lushwater Oasis / The Forgotten Pools / The Stagnant Oasis

Southern Barrens -
Fields of Blood / Ruins of Taurajo

Stonetalon Mountains -
Grimtotem Post / Camp Aparaje / Windshear Crag

Desolace -
Kodo Graveyard / Valley of Bones / Valley of Spears / Magram Territory / Gelkis Village / Shok'thokar

Dustwallow Marsh -
Direhorn Post / Blackhoof Village

Feralas -
Grimtotem Compound

Thousand Needles -
Freewind Post / Darkcloud Pinnacle / Splithoof Crag / Splithoof Heights / The Great Lift

That should be enough for a race.

-------------------------------------------

Human

Human have at least 3000 years of history and for that, I dearly believe they should have many artifacts which could tell us more about the ancient human kingdoms such like Arathor, and more texts of how the 7 kingdoms thrive. How their life in the old time. And the religion about how they comes to believe in the Light.

Silverpine Forest -
Fenris Isle / Pyrewood Village / Ambermill / The Greymane Wall

Gilneas -
Gilneas City / Aderic's Repose / Tempest Reach

Hillsbrad Foothills -
Dalaran Crater / Ruins of Alterac / Ruins of Southshore / Strahnbrad

Arathi Highlands -
Stromgarde Keep / The Tower of Arathor / Northfold Manor

Western Plaguelands -
Andorhal / Caer Darrow / Hearthglen

Eastern Plaguelands -
Tyr's Hand / Scarlet Enclave / Stratholme / Corin's Crossing / Darrowshire

Redridge Mountains -
Tower of Ilgalar / Stonewatch / Alther's Mill

Duskwood -
The Tranquil Gardens Cemetery / Raven Hill Cemetery

Anyway, that's my ideas. Also I think we can add Ogre category to outland. which also includes some of Gronn's history as well. Also Northrend can add Earthen category which include all the mechagnomes and iron dwarves culture and archaeological stuffs.

Last, I wish their could be 6 dig sites at one time, instead of 4. That would greatly reduce the time we have to travel from one to another.

Last edited by Curll; 01-06-2011 at 06:26 AM..
Old 01-06-2011, 06:44 AM

Faerie Dragon

I agree that there are definitely many opportunities for expanding archaeology, and I do believe that Blizzard intends to do just that.

Your last point about there being more dig sites at once... I don't see them doing that for awhile, I think they like that archaeology is a huge timesink and will probably keep it like that.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:05 AM

Hippogryph

There probably should be added a tauren digsite in Eastern Kingdoms and a human digsite in Kalimdor, although i can't see where (maybe if they added that Highmountain Tauren camp that exists Alterac Mountains - Warcraft Legends).
Old 01-06-2011, 08:26 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

A Dragonkin/Elemental/Giant/Demons but maybe that's just too general...

I also think they should change Night elves to Elves, and Nerubian to Aqir

Other that might work to is Goblin/Faceless one/Arakkoa

Last edited by Ashendant; 01-06-2011 at 08:29 AM..
Old 01-06-2011, 08:52 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

The travel time for moving from one digsite to another definitely needs work. Adding more digsites would probably help.

I'm also confused as to why more races aren't represented. High Elves have been in the Eastern Kingdoms for 10,000 years, and have no artifacts.

There should certainly be Human artifacts, and I see no reason why they can't take the opportunity to bake some more Gnome lore into the game with Gnome artifacts.

I'd love for them to get outside the box a little more with the profession, and start throwing in more non-player racial artifacts - like Burning Legion artifacts (which could exist pretty much anywhere in-game), Titan artifacts, Dragon artifacts, Old God artifacts, Pandaren artifacts, et cetera.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:11 AM

Eternal

Eastern Kingdoms needs more races.

We know very little about the Gnolls and Murlocs and I would love to see some new lore about them.

Naga artifacts would also be interesting but it would be annoying as they are so spread out since the majority of their architecture appeared in TBC.

For Outland, I thought it was really weird that we did not get Arrakkoa artifacts. Ogre artifacts would also be cool.

In Northrend, Tuskarr and even Wolvar artifacts could appear.

I would also love to see Dragonkin artifacts all over the world.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:26 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLore View Post
Eastern Kingdoms needs more races.

We know very little about the Gnolls and Murlocs and I would love to see some new lore about them.

Naga artifacts would also be interesting but it would be annoying as they are so spread out since the majority of their architecture appeared in TBC.

For Outland, I thought it was really weird that we did not get Arrakkoa artifacts. Ogre artifacts would also be cool.

In Northrend, Tuskarr and even Wolvar artifacts could appear.

I would also love to see Dragonkin artifacts all over the world.
Meh. Gnolls and Murlocs don't strike me as the sort to have anything of archaeological value... they're still fighting with sticks and rocks.

Not having any High Elf, Gnome, or Human artifacts in the EK is just plain stupid.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:57 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Blizz said that they designed Archaeology so that they could easily add more races and digsites in the future. It's gonna happen, maybe in a major content patch. I wouldn't sweat it too much.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:01 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Meh. Gnolls and Murlocs don't strike me as the sort to have anything of archaeological value... they're still fighting with sticks and rocks.
I am reminded of the Got Some Floatsam? in Darkshore, and the Salvageable Greymist Wreckage you collect. "It's battered and broken. But then again, so are most murloc hovels."

Though maybe a few murloc items would be amusing. Imagine, the Conch Shell of Mrrglrrlrglllrll, the Seaweed Wrap of Glbrbllr, and lest we forget, the shiny stone of Murglbrl.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:04 AM

Site Staff - Admin

There's plenty of opportunity for more projects and categories. While I'm not sure that we'll see more Outland and Northrend races until they're redone, we'll probably see some more in classic Azeroth. I think Ghostcrawler said they specifically designed Archaeology in a way that made it easy for them to add more kinds of artifacts.

Wolvar and Gorloc would be cool for Northrend. Demons and Undead would also be pretty interesting.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:05 AM

Sentinel Queen
Send a message via AIM to Jigsaw Complex Send a message via MSN to Jigsaw Complex Send a message via Yahoo to Jigsaw Complex

I love Archaeology, but there are a few things i want to see changed about it.

- Give me something worth vendoring. This 2s to 10g thing is bs and a waste of time.

- Once i'm done with a type of archaeology (as in have all the rares), i can live with the fragments i have left being just there and useless, but can we just stop getting that type of digsites until new stuff is added to it? It's kinda bs that i'm working my ass off for Zin'rokh, Destroyer of Worlds, and i keep getting nothing but Dwarf and Fossil digsites that are useless to me.

- Give me more fun and functional items. For the first 280-300 levels, it's basically garbage i'm finding.

- Can we find important lore stuff?

Don't get me wrong, i love Archaeology. I finally got my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron, and i LOVE it. But it def needs some polishing.

'Yea see that purple light? Just walk into that to enter the city. Just trust me you'll be fine!'.

We are Sex Bob-Omb! And we're here to make you think about death and get sad and stuff!

"By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth." - George Carlin
Old 01-06-2011, 10:12 AM

Hippogryph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakiba View Post
I am reminded of the Got Some Floatsam? in Darkshore, and the Salvageable Greymist Wreckage you collect. "It's battered and broken. But then again, so are most murloc hovels."

Though maybe a few murloc items would be amusing. Imagine, the Conch Shell of Mrrglrrlrglllrll, the Seaweed Wrap of Glbrbllr, and lest we forget, the shiny stone of Murglbrl.
Well they could always add such artifacts under a new category "misc" or something. While you are travelling the world looking for other artifacts you could have a chance of finding these miscellaneous artifact-fragments when recovering other fragments.

Last edited by Aedror; 01-06-2011 at 10:14 AM..
Old 01-06-2011, 10:23 AM

Sentinel Queen
Send a message via AIM to Jigsaw Complex Send a message via MSN to Jigsaw Complex Send a message via Yahoo to Jigsaw Complex

Another things i just thought of. I said i wish if i had all the Night Elf rares for example that i wouldn't get Nelf digsites anymore.

Well, and easy way to do this would to allow high level Archaeologists focus on a specific culture. Not like a potion mastery thing or anything, but just had the digsites there and let us choose.

'Yea see that purple light? Just walk into that to enter the city. Just trust me you'll be fine!'.

We are Sex Bob-Omb! And we're here to make you think about death and get sad and stuff!

"By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth." - George Carlin
Old 01-06-2011, 11:22 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

I have a question about archeology when you complete an artifact does it entry on remain in there forever? or it's substituted by the next artefact?
Old 01-06-2011, 11:30 AM

Faerie Dragon

When you complete something the entry remains in your log forever, or at least that is the intent. So it is safe to sell the worthless gray junk, since the important lore tidbits will stay in your book.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:04 PM

Huntress

Considering that Humans were descended from Vrykul, having Vrykul-Human (and those tall titan people *jogs memory*) artifacts would be cool.
This means there could be artifacts in Northrend.

Gnomes shouldn't have their own artifacts. They're closely aligned with Dwarves, only having come from Mecha-Gnomes and should probably be included in that lore. But it depends on how recent the artifacts are supposed to be.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:52 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

I'd rather have some larger, more inclusive archaeological families rather than a lot of small ones. Have an "elf" archaeology tree that contains night elf, high elf, blood elf and maybe even Naga, and a "Titan" tree that contains dwarf, gnome, vrykul and tol'vir. Also maybe a "Aqir" for both Qiraji and Nerubians. I also support a "misc" Archaeology category for the smaller NPC races- it kind of weirded me out that the Scepte of Charlga Razorflank was found in DWARVEN archaeology.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:15 PM

Arch-Druid

The worst part I find about archeology is that you only get complete useless crap for like 200-300lvls, depending on your luck. This really doesn't give people much incentive to keep doing it and hope that you might get something other than vendortrash. Assuming the digsites spawn closer for lower lvls, what reason does a new player have to level this profession? I hardly find any important lore in it. Those little 'stories' you uncover should happen a lot more often, to keep people interested in archeology whilst on the hunt for rares.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:01 AM

At the very least the artifacts should be worth more so that at least Archaeology can be a nice supplement to your moneymaking if not a good source of it (comparable to a gathering profession, I'd say).
Old 01-07-2011, 12:08 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
At the very least the artifacts should be worth more so that at least Archaeology can be a nice supplement to your moneymaking if not a good source of it (comparable to a gathering profession, I'd say).
Old 01-07-2011, 02:13 AM

Eternal

Gold from archaeology is already pretty insane, I sell tol'vir hieroglyphs for 1000-1250 gold each, and once I got lucky and got 5 of em in 2 hours. Easy way to make some cash while I grind for Tyrande's favorite doll.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:19 AM

Arch-Druid
Send a message via Yahoo to Joshmaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
Gold from archaeology is already pretty insane, I sell tol'vir hieroglyphs for 1000-1250 gold each, and once I got lucky and got 5 of em in 2 hours.
Do the other keystones sell for decent prices? I'm at 350 at the moment with the pally.

Horde: Eaglespear - Joshmaul - Sekhesmet - Malkus - Kitrik - Suzl
Alliance: Devaneaux - Jaedenlaek - Vendross - Zherron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornakk
the ritual came to a close and a demon of untold power (but limited stature) was pulled through the void, kicking and biting and gnashing its teeth, forcibly bound to the mortal world. The warlock, a quizzical expression on his face, regarded his familiar, who was in fact now quite unfamiliar, and inquired, "Who in the hell are you?"
Old 01-07-2011, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
Gold from archaeology is already pretty insane, I sell tol'vir hieroglyphs for 1000-1250 gold each, and once I got lucky and got 5 of em in 2 hours. Easy way to make some cash while I grind for Tyrande's favorite doll.
*facepalm*

Why did I assume keystones were BoP for some fucking reason?

Papa's gonna go break the bank.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:02 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshmaul View Post
Do the other keystones sell for decent prices? I'm at 350 at the moment with the pally.
Well the price varies depending on time and server but around the same time the hieroglyphs went dwarf runestones went for 100g, highborne scrolls 60g, draenei/orc/vrykul/nerubian can range from 100-250g, tol'vir I mentioned before and Fossil's can burn as fuel for not having any type of items that give 12 fragments.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:12 AM

Loremaster

Here is what I want. This is all I want and it will go a long way to fixing all my problems with the system.

Digsites being zone centralized. Right now doing a digsite all the way in Tanaris only for the new one to open in Ashenvale is a bunch of bullshit. Each zone should have many digsites and each time you use one up in that zone, another in that zone appears, just like how herbs and minerals work.

This way if you want to concentrate on a race you just stay in a zone that is saturated with that races history. This will also help leveling the system in lower levels because having digsites remain in the nearby low level zones means you don't get stuck with all your digsites suddenly popping in Burning Steppes or some shit.

Really, for a system designed to be "casual" it's pretty much more painful to level then any other system in the game. Even FISHING I find more relaxing and less bullshit.