Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Shall we gather for whiskey and cigars later tonight?
Indeed, I believe so. 15 68.18%
You're such a choffer. 4 18.18%
You always amuse me. 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2016, 09:52 AM

Eternal
Location: England, Great Britain, Soon to be United States of Europe

So... is Dishonored 2 worth buying considering the risk of it not running properly? Or should I wait?
It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."
- Father Dennis Edward O'Brian, USMC
Old 11-29-2016, 10:32 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Why would anyone play a buggy game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:37 AM

Elune

Someone spotted me on the conservatory mission and I don't know where or when and all of my saves are past that point and there goes my ghost run.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:23 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Why would anyone play a buggy game?
Good point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico
Someone spotted me on the conservatory mission and I don't know where or when and all of my saves are past that point and there goes my ghost run.
I never cared for ghost runs. What's the point of all these super powers if I people don't see me doing awesome stuff with them?
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."
Old 12-08-2016, 08:48 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Playing the Clockwork Mansion for the second time, I'm struck by just how much of a raw deal Jindosh gets. Compared to Ashworth and Copperspoon, for both of whom the game bends over backwards to drum up sympathy, he's constantly maligned by the protagonist, the Outsider and his own staff. And for what? He's no worse than Sokolov was at his prime (which is bad, but apparently not unforgivably so). Jindosh's only crime was choosing the wrong side.

Moreover, we're told he needs to die because he'll build a clockwork army for the Duke (whom we plan to kill in a few weeks, tops, anyway), but there's no way he'd be able to do that because his own notes tell us that without Sokolov's help he wouldn't be able to figure it out for years.

There's no reason this guy should have had to die, and even less reason we should have destroyed his beautiful mind and left him in a state worse than death. He could have done so much good if he had switched sides, and I do believe he would have, if only he had been given the chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:08 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Playing the Clockwork Mansion for the second time, I'm struck by just how much of a raw deal Jindosh gets. Compared to Ashworth and Copperspoon, for both of whom the game bends over backwards to drum up sympathy, he's constantly maligned by the protagonist, the Outsider and his own staff. And for what? He's no worse than Sokolov was at his prime (which is bad, but apparently not unforgivably so). Jindosh's only crime was choosing the wrong side.

Moreover, we're told he needs to die because he'll build a clockwork army for the Duke (whom we plan to kill in a few weeks, tops, anyway), but there's no way he'd be able to do that because his own notes tell us that without Sokolov's help he wouldn't be able to figure it out for years.

There's no reason this guy should have had to die, and even less reason we should have destroyed his beautiful mind and left him in a state worse than death. He could have done so much good if he had switched sides, and I do believe he would have, if only he had been given the chance.
That's a shame, again, go on Arkane's forums too though, hopefully some of this gets through.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 12-09-2016, 05:55 AM

Elune

Can you just leave him alive and unharmed? I've never tried.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:02 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
Can you just leave him alive and unharmed? I've never tried.
No. You have to either kill or lobotomize him. I already feel like a monster when I just kill him, so I'm not sure I'll have the stomach for a totally non-lethal playthrough. I guess I'll just hold my nose and close my eyes.

Compare Ashworth, whose non-lethal fate is to be left as whole and healthy as any other mortal, and Copperspoon, whose non-lethal fate is to be sealed inside her vision of paradise.

Not sure what the Duke's non-lethal fate is, but from dialog around the palace and the briefing clues I'd suspect it involves replacing him with his decoy.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-09-2016, 03:45 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

I was getting confused about why the Overseers in the Dust District kept exploding until I realized that their pathing was causing them to trip over their own damn whale oil tanks.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-22-2016, 03:43 AM

Eternal

Didn't Jindosh use that chair to lobotomize people(other than Sokolov) as well? I was reading that apparently there was an audiograph in which this is revealed, although I didn't find it myself.

The game's performance is rather wanting, I'd say, despite all the patching. At first I thought that it was running well, then I checked my settings and realised that everything was set to low on default. Wow.

I dunno, it seems a bit....short? I know that Dishonored 1 had 10 missions as well but they did seem to be quite a bit longer than this. I was so hyped up for the Dust District, but it was underwhelming. I thought they would flesh out the mines, but we never get a mission in which a mine is the focus. I mean, so many of the notes/audiographs/books etc deal with the fact that the mines are the lifeblood for the city and its' economy, and we do know that people like Lucia Pastor and Stilton(if he is saved from insanity) are trying to improve the plight of the miners, but we only ever get to read/hear about this, and never see it. I feel as if entire subplots were cut from the game. The Howler/Overseer conflict was not well fleshed out either.

Similarly, the Dreadful Wale is rather limited as well. The Hound Pits Pub, by contrast was filled with npcs, minor or major, who you could interact with. By contrast, the only constant npcs on the ship are Meagan Foster/Billy Lurk, and Sokolov. Hypatia and Stilton are only there for a short while, and other than a leak, a bonecharm in the water is the only side-activity to do over there. There seems to be no crew, either.

Also, a returning problem from Dishonored 1- the characters behave more like lifeless robots than living chunks of flesh. Their personalities are dull and bland. The dialogue implies they have motivations, yet the voice actors don't seem to care. They say everything as if they are just reading from a script, with no emotion, no sense of passion. There are exceptions, I suppose, like the voice actors of Sokolov and the Duke of Serkonos, and the protagonist you choose(although they are guilty of this thing too, every once in a while).

The narrative has no soul in it, it's just there, but that was a flaw of the first game as well.

Last edited by CoDimus the Staunch; 12-22-2016 at 03:58 AM..
Old 12-22-2016, 05:18 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDimus the Staunch View Post
Didn't Jindosh use that chair to lobotomize people(other than Sokolov) as well?
Yeah, he did. He's a monster. But then again, so was Sokolov. In spite of their madness, in spite of the fact that they both chose the wrong sides, they both had the potential to do so much unimaginable good. The only difference is that Jindosh didn't have information that we needed, and so we didn't even try to take him alive.

Quote:
I dunno, it seems a bit....short? I know that Dishonored 1 had 10 missions as well but they did seem to be quite a bit longer than this. I was so hyped up for the Dust District, but it was underwhelming. I thought they would flesh out the mines, but we never get a mission in which a mine is the focus. I mean, so many of the notes/audiographs/books etc deal with the fact that the mines are the lifeblood for the city and its' economy, and we do know that people like Lucia Pastor and Stilton(if he is saved from insanity) are trying to improve the plight of the miners, but we only ever get to read/hear about this, and never see it. I feel as if entire subplots were cut from the game. The Howler/Overseer conflict was not well fleshed out either.
It really is too short, and I would have loved a mission where you infiltrate a mine shaft, but I still think A Crack in the Slab is a fucking amazing level.

Quote:
Also, a returning problem from Dishonored 1- the characters behave more like lifeless robots than living chunks of flesh. Their personalities are dull and bland. The dialogue implies they have motivations, yet the voice actors don't seem to care. They say everything as if they are just reading from a script, with no emotion, no sense of passion. There are exceptions, I suppose, like the voice actors of Sokolov and the Duke of Serkonos, and the protagonist you choose(although they are guilty of this thing too, every once in a while).

The narrative has no soul in it, it's just there, but that was a flaw of the first game as well.
I've heard people criticize the voice acting, but I just don't see that. The first game had kind of spotty voice acting, particularly where Pierro was concerned, but this time I think everyone did a perfectly adequate job.

The problem, and it's a big one, is the writing. For all Arkane's brilliance when it comes to developing a beautiful and expansive world, they can't write dialog for shit. The plot was trash and the characters were forced. This is the same problem the first game had, but I think it got worse this time around.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-19-2017, 03:13 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Not sure what the Duke's non-lethal fate is, but from dialog around the palace and the briefing clues I'd suspect it involves replacing him with his decoy.
The Duke's non-lethal fate is getting replaced by his decoy, put into a mental asylum or something and having his tongue removed.
Quote:
Yeah, he did. He's a monster. But then again, so was Sokolov. In spite of their madness, in spite of the fact that they both chose the wrong sides, they both had the potential to do so much unimaginable good. The only difference is that Jindosh didn't have information that we needed, and so we didn't even try to take him alive.
If I recall correctly Sokolov was doing terrible things to try to cure the Rat Plague. Jindosh did terrible things because he liked to.

Overall I enjoyed it. Pretty sure it took me longer to finish than the first one. Guess we know what Daud's choices were. Anyone else thing that killing the witches shouldn't contribute to chaos? They were actively making crap worse. At least the city watch and overseers across both games were essential to preserving law and order and often weren't necessarily bad people just lied to.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:34 PM

Elune

New+ is pretty good.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:13 AM

Eternal

Quote:
New+ is pretty good.
I agree. That reminds me to continue my Corvo+ campaign. If you were to start again a 3rd time on a Newgame+ would you get all the runes from both playthroughs or just one?
Old 05-17-2017, 06:55 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

I know I give this game a lot of shit, but it's only because I adore the setting so deeply that the flaws in character and storytelling stand out so sharply. I'm not angry, Arkane, I'm just disappointed.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-17-2017, 07:58 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomEvilGuy View Post
I agree. That reminds me to continue my Corvo+ campaign. If you were to start again a 3rd time on a Newgame+ would you get all the runes from both playthroughs or just one?
It's compounding, as far as I know. So in theory you could unlock all of the powers and do some wacky things.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:28 AM

World Builder

http://inkytomes.tumblr.com/post/161...ght-she-wanted

hah

But for real, in the "Death to the Outsider" trailer Billie's arm looks more organic than most tech I've seen, and her eye... looks almost like carved gemstone, what's up with those designs?

Also, seems they're in Tyvia?

My Worldbuilding:

Last edited by Mutterscrawl; 06-12-2017 at 09:32 AM..
Old 06-12-2017, 10:35 AM

Elune

Maybe there will be two intros on how Billie goes from DH2 to this.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:50 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Maybe there will be two intros on how Billie goes from DH2 to this.
I hope so. They could do it, too, because unlike Knife of Dunwall this seems to take place firmly after the events of the first gam. It would just be good sense to carry over your saved gamestate.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-12-2017, 12:29 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Here's something super cool:

Calyxofawildflower, a notable fanfiction author in the Bioshock, Dishonored and Dragon Age fandoms, has announced that she's been hired as one of the head writers for Death of the Outsider. That's practically living the dream!

You must have a tumblr account to see her blog for whatever reason, so here's a quote of the announcement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calyxofawildflower
So, I was one of two writers who, under the lead narrative designer and the creative director, wrote the text and dialogue for Dishonored 2: Death of The Outsider.

Working on the narrative team was an amazing experience and a wonderful opportunity. In collaboration with the lead narrative designer Sachka Duval and creative director Harvey Smith, I was responsible for the dialogue for the main characters (Billie, Daud, the Outsider) and innumerable in-game lorebooks and NPC conversations.

I’m really proud of what we’ve come up with and the story we’ve told and I’m so excited to share it with you all in September.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:29 PM

Elune

Quote:
I hope so. They could do it, too, because unlike Knife of Dunwall this seems to take place firmly after the events of the first gam. It would just be good sense to carry over your saved gamestate.
It would be really cool if NG+ carried over.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:56 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
Here's something super cool:

Calyxofawildflower, a notable fanfiction author in the Bioshock, Dishonored and Dragon Age fandoms, has announced that she's been hired as one of the head writers for Death of the Outsider. That's practically living the dream!

You must have a tumblr account to see her blog for whatever reason, so here's a quote of the announcement:
Gneh. I'm not sure this is a good thing. Fanfic authors tend have passion, but they don't always have discipline or foresight. On the other hand, she's probably no worse than anyone on DH2's writing staff, and as a newcomer maybe she'll have more to prove.

I'm just so bummed about how DH2 lowered my expectations for the setting. I was so hype for the main game! But now? Now I'm not so hype.

Quote:
It would be really cool if NG+ carried over.
I've heard it described as a stand-alone expansion. Do you think that means it's not connected to the main game? Or just that it doesn't modify the main story?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-12-2017, 01:31 PM

Elune

It could still scan for that data. It sounds like Farcry: Blood Dragon.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:33 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

I just saw the trailer and damn my eyes I'm hype in spite of myself. That old Drunken Whaler coupled with Daud's conviction of the Outsider as the one responsible for all this madness... It was too much.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-12-2017, 08:21 PM

World Builder

Quote:
I just saw the trailer and damn my eyes I'm hype in spite of myself. That old Drunken Whaler coupled with Daud's conviction of the Outsider as the one responsible for all this madness... It was too much.
Whatcha think of the theory I posited to IGOD in the e3 thread?

That if the void is in every person, and the outsider is the void, his pessimism or dismal view of humanity might be influencing folks even unintentionally

My Worldbuilding:

Tags
steampunk, video games