Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 06:02 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
I was always fond of Orgrimmar, Cataclysm-Orgrimmar especially. The Vanilla-incarnation always felt a lot more bare, no doubt about that, but even back in the day Stormwind's human architecture that was so... hm, 'common' to fantasy did even then feel a bit overdone and samey. Orgrimmar felt like something more unique and colourful with its multiple tiers (hi Old Ironforge), the much more primitive design. It certainly lacked for details no doubt about that though.

I'd love Thunder Bluff but the awful bridge system really soured it for me prior to flying.
I think it's a matter of taste; Org was okay, but it felt very empty from a NPC and even structure point of view. Most of the buildings were tucked in against the walls of the canyon, with the exceptions being stuff like the Bank and the Flight Point Tower, and... it definitely didn't feel like a real city. Stormwind, for as generic as it could be, at least had actual people walking around and talking, and felt like a city. Like, I can remember at least three separate places to set my hearth, and even after Cata, I think they replaced one (it was in the Park) with the new inn out in the Dwarven District. The only cities that really came close to matching that kind of... living feeling before Cata for the Horde were Undercity (which got the people part down, but... yeah, the inn was an alcove) and Silvermoon.

Honestly, Org got worse to some extent with Cata; it definitely got several improvements, but it also felt like a bigger nightmare to try and get around. I'm weird like that.

Ironforge is still my favorite city, though.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:03 AM

Banished

Quote:
I was always fond of Orgrimmar, Cataclysm-Orgrimmar especially. The Vanilla-incarnation always felt a lot more bare, no doubt about that, but even back in the day Stormwind's human architecture that was so... hm, 'common' to fantasy did even then feel a bit overdone and samey. Orgrimmar felt like something more unique and colourful with its multiple tiers (hi Old Ironforge), the much more primitive design. It certainly lacked for details no doubt about that though.
My main gripe with Orgrimmar (both versions, but especially Vanilla) is, really, it could've been any Orcish settlement on Kalimdor. It was larger (gameplay wise, obviously) but it really didn't stand out especially. Post-Cata version is better, because it feels more like the "warrior city" it was supposed to be, but it still lacks many (any?) standout features. There's nothing even close to Stormwind's Cathedral or Darnassus' Temple of the Moon.

It's a tough act to balance, I freely admit, Blizzard would, no doubt, be flamed by some part of the community regardless of which way they went. Personally, I like the fact the capitals aren't just mirrors of each other, that's both bland and boring as fuck. But there is a real issue of Orgrimmar being lacking in "unique" when compared to, really, all the Alliance capitals. They all have a special feel and/or unique design here and there.

Quote:
I'd love Thunder Bluff but the awful bridge system really soured it for me prior to flying.

I'd just about forgotten the bridges. Everyone flies these days but yes, fair point all the same.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:55 AM

Elune

So I did some thinking and realised Spec Ops: The Line (good game, avoid the following if you don't want spoilers) is a pretty good 'comparison' to the Horde storyline if it had been written half-competently given the 'why do we fight?' line they kept shoving down our throats.

Walker: "What happened here was out of my control..."
Konrad: "Was it? None of this would happen if you just stopped, and on you marched... and for what?"
Walker: "We- we tried to save you-"
Konrad: "You're no saviour. Your talents lie elsewhere."
Walker: "This isn't my fault."
Konrad: "It takes a strong man to deny what's right in front of him and if the truth is undeniable? You create your own.

The truth Walker is that you're here because you wanted to feel like something you're not: A Hero. I'm here because you can't accept what you've done. It broke you. You needed someone to blame, so you cast it on me; a dead man.

I know the truth is hard to hear Walker, but it's time. You're all that's left, and we can't live this lie forever."

-Konrad aims a gun at Walker-

I'm going to count to five, then I'm pulling the trigger.
Walker: You're not real... this is all in my head...
Konrad: Are you sure? Maybe it's in mine? One.
Walker: No... everything, all this, it was YOUR fault!
Konrad: If that's what you believe then shoot me! Two!
Walker: I didn't mean to hurt anybody...
Konrad: Noone ever does Walker. Three!

-Walker shoots 'Konrad'-

Konrad: It takes a strong man to deny what's right in front of him...
Walker: Stronger than you were.
Konrad: Whatever you say, Walker. No matter what happens next don't be too hard on yourself. After all, even after all you've done... you can still go home...

...Lucky you."

Last edited by Drusus; 10-02-2014 at 07:05 AM..
Old 10-02-2014, 07:46 AM

Drunk Assassin

Quote:
(hi Old Ironforge)

WHY.

WHY BLIZZARD WHY.

WHY DID YOU CARE ABOUT STUPID INCOMPETENT ARSEHOLES WHO COULDN'T FIND THEIR WAY OUT OF A PAPERBAG.

YOU STILL KEPT UNDERCITY THE SAME.

WHYYY

gief old ironforge back
Old 10-02-2014, 12:57 PM

Elune

Quote:
...hey, I think I summoned Ferlion back. That's cool. I was trying for Cthulhu, but whatever.
Saying my name three times in front of a mirror at the chime of midnight on the eve of thine own day of birth will summon me forth to exact revenge upon one soul of your own choice....for a price, of course, which must one pay in full by the 7th day of the 7th year, afore darkly dressed debtsmen rap persistently upon your head.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:23 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

I don't know if this makes any sense but I kind wonder if Tauren should have continued being a nomadic race without a city whereas Trolls would be the race with a large sprawling city because they're trying to piece together a proper civilization once again.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:36 PM

Priestess of the Moon
BattleTag: Frostbane#1378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
While this is true, no one really does anything with the upper part of Undercity. Not even on RP servers.

Personally, I wish both Old Ironforge and the upper ring of the Undercity had been fleshed out. Perhaps with the Ethereals, Honor, and Justice Vendors that really should be standard in every hub, not just the two faction hubs.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:44 PM

Elune

Quote:
The Tauren zones are/were boring as hell. So much green!
Old 10-02-2014, 05:50 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
I love standing in Mulgore and taking in the sights. Reminds me of Cuzco, and although I hated Cuzco and the f****** mountains surrounding it, I am still quite fond of the remembrance.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:33 PM

Elune

Quote:
I don't know. I think Mulgore has its novelty in that it's a wide open, bare plain, but is also very cozy and safe (aesthetically anyway, pre-Cataclysm the wildlife was a nightmare). It's one of the zones in WoW I think gets way too overlooked. There's just something so simple about it that's brilliant: no trees, no hills, very little civilisation, untouched by anything really and it's better for it. The roaming kodo herds that cross the whole zone also add a brilliant sense of immersion that feels so much superior to mobs walking in circles despite it actually just being that mechanically.

I also love how Thunder Bluff just overlooks the plains. It's rare these days that WoW feels truly like a 'world' any more and TB gives the impression there's something wider out there as opposed to claustrophobic walls.

Last edited by Drusus; 10-02-2014 at 06:37 PM..
Old 10-02-2014, 06:44 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
To be fair, it's one zone where Baine will ever do something badass for the rest of his tenure as a faction leader.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:16 PM

Orgrimmar might be comparatively tiny, but you have to remember what else the Horde gained in Cataclysm. Echo Isles, Azshara, Andorhal, the Horde got the lion's share (no pun intended) of the Cata update.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:41 AM

Banished

Quote:
I don't know. I think Mulgore has its novelty in that it's a wide open, bare plain, but is also very cozy and safe (aesthetically anyway, pre-Cataclysm the wildlife was a nightmare). It's one of the zones in WoW I think gets way too overlooked. There's just something so simple about it that's brilliant: no trees, no hills, very little civilisation, untouched by anything really and it's better for it. The roaming kodo herds that cross the whole zone also add a brilliant sense of immersion that feels so much superior to mobs walking in circles despite it actually just being that mechanically.

I also love how Thunder Bluff just overlooks the plains. It's rare these days that WoW feels truly like a 'world' any more and TB gives the impression there's something wider out there as opposed to claustrophobic walls.
This.

It's far from perfect but it's certainly one of my favourite zones from an aesthetic point of view.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:31 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
I don't know if this makes any sense but I kind wonder if Tauren should have continued being a nomadic race without a city whereas Trolls would be the race with a large sprawling city because they're trying to piece together a proper civilization once again.
This 100%.

But My stance on how the factions should've been is with the dwarves in charge of the Alliance due to the humans being royally fucked and the goblins as the race with the most man power in the Horde but still lead by the orcs as a minority. Too bad they instead went for billions of orcs being pulled out of the nether.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 10-05-2014, 06:28 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
This 100%.

But My stance on how the factions should've been is with the dwarves in charge of the Alliance due to the humans being royally fucked and the goblins as the race with the most man power in the Horde but still lead by the orcs as a minority. Too bad they instead went for billions of orcs being pulled out of the nether.
Ironforge more or less 'led' the Alliance in Vanilla, it just wasn't shoved down our throats so much back then because the Alliance was more like an Alliance that lacked a central figure head.

Shame about that. But yeah, WoD could have been perfect to give the Dwarves some screen time. Who's already been on Draenor? Y'know, Kudran, and he's not busy being neutral like Khadgar, though I'm sure if he was human we'd have seen him a lot more.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:40 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

Quote:

<Snippety snap>

WHY.

WHY BLIZZARD WHY.

WHY DID YOU CARE ABOUT STUPID INCOMPETENT ARSEHOLES WHO COULDN'T FIND THEIR WAY OUT OF A PAPERBAG.

WHYYY

gief old ironforge back
Are we ranting about changed zones and inaccessible areas? C-can I join in?
Old 10-05-2014, 06:41 AM

Banished

Quote:
Ironforge more or less 'led' the Alliance in Vanilla, it just wasn't shoved down our throats so much back then because the Alliance was more like an Alliance that lacked a central figure head.
All of this, and <channels Shao Khan> it was glorious.

Quote:
Shame about that. But yeah, WoD could have been perfect to give the Dwarves some screen time. Who's already been on Draenor? Y'know, Kudran, and he's not busy being neutral like Khadgar, though I'm sure if he was human we'd have seen him a lot more.
Kurdran not being involved is indeed beyond fucking retarded.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:52 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post
All of this, and <channels Shao Khan> it was glorious.
I remember when people actually requested Stormwind be used more often. Of course, back then getting stuck in Ironforge all the time - however I'm sick of Stormwind now - was something of a valid point. At least back then, once all cities had Auction Houses, it was totally fine to put your Hearthstone in whatever city you wanted. I'm actually not a huge fan of Ironforge as a city, it's just you now have to flop between them so much/end up in the Shrine I still appreciate it.

I always found it weird how they went on about "We want to make it all about Azeroth and not just one big city!"... but instead of just adding Cataclysm portals to all cities, they just did it in Stormwind/Orgrimmar because Blizzard logic.

Quote:
Kurdran not being involved is indeed beyond fucking retarded.
"Isn't Kudran dead? From, err, from Fire and Iron?"
Old 10-05-2014, 06:56 AM

Banished

Quote:
"Isn't Kudran dead? From, err, from Fire and Iron?"
MFW this is actually what CDev likely believe.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:18 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:

WHY.

WHY BLIZZARD WHY.

WHYYY

gief old ironforge back
Nah they changed Undercity too.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:30 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Nah they changed Undercity too.
The difference is, you can now fly up there. It wasn't so much that they changed it beyond removing a way to get up.

Ironforge actually had its second level removed entirely.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:17 AM

Elune

Garithos did nothing wrong.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:40 AM

Eternal Watcher

Quote:

Garithos did nothing wrong.
Indeed. Just look at the belves and the Forsaken.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 10-10-2014, 03:12 PM

Echo of the Past

Well, Blackhand is officially a tactical genius who recovered the Doomhammer himself and was blessed by the fire elements.

I'm... kind of torn. A part of me likes him getting built up. Another part of me feels like Orgrim turns into a bigger and bigger loser every year.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:47 PM

Eternal Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Well, Blackhand is officially a tactical genius who recovered the Doomhammer himself and was blessed by the fire elements.

I'm... kind of torn. A part of me likes him getting built up. Another part of me feels like Orgrim turns into a bigger and bigger loser every year.
Blackhand were described as a brute in the novels. More pawn than leader. I'm not entirely happy with his transformation.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Closed Thread

Tags
civil bitching, cleansing of the tags, crushed dreams, kill all factions, orcs are definitely evil, orks, post here if masochist, shattered hopes, the cycle begins anew