Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 04:41 PM

Druid of the Claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I'll say this; no one would argue that Cata wasn't an "Old Gods" expansion. The question is whether or not the "Old Gods" count as a separate faction from the void.
I think associating the Old Gods with the Void was an odd move. The Old Gods were compelling antagonists that could have carried another expansion or two on their own. It feels kind of inefficient to retroactively lump them in with another world-ending threat.

Blizzard will probably try to differentiate the Old Gods from the Void. I mean technically the Scourge was just an arm of the Burning Legion, but nobody considers WotLK to be a Burning Legion themed expansion.

I'm just surprised people think we're going to go to Kul-Tiras and find out they've all been corrupted by the void. I think we'll get some void questlines here or there over the next few years, but I'll be shocked if the next expansion is void-centric the way WotLK was Scourge-centric or even TBC was Legion-centric.

On an unrelated note, I don't believe the Pillars of Creation will play a big role in the next expansion. For being the big MacGuffins we chase all expansion, they are treated so casually by the story. I think they'd be emphasized more if they were going to be central to the next expansions story. Could be wrong on this one.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:42 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
If that name was anchored to any other leak I'd be more gung ho about believing it, but the Veil of Shadows one was just... bad. And the release date is absolutely nonsensical.

Still, the domain was registered in 2013 and the coincidence between that and the other expansion domains makes me side eye it hard. It exists, and that's all we've got so far. It's tangible.
My guess, if the domain is legitimate, then maybe the guy behind the Veil of Shadows "leak" just happened to find the domain before anyone else and used the name for his fake to make it seem more likely.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:24 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I'll say this; no one would argue that Cata wasn't an "Old Gods" expansion. The question is whether or not the "Old Gods" count as a separate faction from the void.
No, no Old Gods were fought. Their presence is felt only indirectly. THe focus is on servants of the Old Gods, of course, but the expansion begins and ends with them. You don't see "Old Gods" as a selling point, you don't feel N'Zoth directly once. The Old Gods are a secondary theme, the threat is Deathwing and the Hammer, and that's it.

You don't see "Old Gods" as a selling point for Cataclysm, either. The Old God theme is there, but it's not the main theme.

Just think what the "feel" of the expansion would be if it were about fighting a new risen Black Empire and N'Zoth directly. That's the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
I think he was referring mostly to the Sha.
Still, it was a tangential thing. The focus was Pandaria, its people, and the Alliance/Horde war. The Sha are there because they are part of the land and helped shape it.

Again, I'm talking about the main theme, the focus of the expansion. Of course you'll have secondary themes around, but they don't overshadow or disrupt the main theme.

The thing about the VoS "leak" is that it has no main theme. It's a collection of secondary themes without a glue to hold them together.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).

Last edited by Deicide; 08-11-2017 at 05:28 PM..
Old 08-11-2017, 05:36 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
No, no Old Gods were fought. Their presence is felt only indirectly. THe focus is on servants of the Old Gods, of course, but the expansion begins and ends with them. You don't see "Old Gods" as a selling point, you don't feel N'Zoth directly once. The Old Gods are a secondary theme, the threat is Deathwing and the Hammer, and that's it.

You don't see "Old Gods" as a selling point for Cataclysm, either. The Old God theme is there, but it's not the main theme.

Just think what the "feel" of the expansion would be if it were about fighting a new risen Black Empire and N'Zoth directly. That's the difference.
Cata was absolutely an Old God expansion. It had faceless ones screaming in our face absolutely everywhere, tentacles regularly sprouting out of the ground, and those big sarlacc pit things all over the place. Deathwing was the face and the final boss, but the Old God presence was shoved in our face from the get-go.

Mists did it much better. Y'Shaarj was mostly restricted to the backstory, the Sha just did their own thing separate from him, and when Garrosh got his heart all it did was give him a powerup. There were no faceless ones, no sarlacc pits, no crazy cultists screaming generic end-of-the-world phrases at us, unlike Cata which had all of that.

And unfortunately I don't believe the next expansion won't follow Cata's example instead of MoP's.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:41 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

I still want playable arakkoa. I want it so badly I could cry (and given how they were handled in WoD, I might cry anyway).
Old 08-11-2017, 05:47 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekinah View Post
I still want playable arakkoa. I want it so badly I could cry (and given how they were handled in WoD, I might cry anyway).
Arakkoa are right behind ethereals on my wanted list.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:04 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekinah View Post
Arakkoa is one of the two possible races that I think would be better in the Alliance than the Horde. The other are ethereals. However, because of their posture and twisted limbs, I think gear would look atrocious on them. They'd also be very strange without their robes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
Cata was absolutely an Old God expansion. It had faceless ones screaming in our face absolutely everywhere, tentacles regularly sprouting out of the ground, and those big sarlacc pit things all over the place. Deathwing was the face and the final boss, but the Old God presence was shoved in our face from the get-go.

Mists did it much better. Y'Shaarj was mostly restricted to the backstory, the Sha just did their own thing separate from him, and when Garrosh got his heart all it did was give him a powerup. There were no faceless ones, no sarlacc pits, no crazy cultists screaming generic end-of-the-world phrases at us, unlike Cata which had all of that.

And unfortunately I don't believe the next expansion won't follow Cata's example instead of MoP's.
You are just showing my point. The reason Cata feels off to you is exactly because they went too overboard with a secondary theme (Old Gods), making it too close in importance to the primary one (the breaking of the world and Deathwing). "Old Gods" was not the center of the narrative, nor its selling point. They took it too far, weakening the story.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 08-11-2017, 06:27 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Well, if we're sticking to the 77 day trend, it'll be Nov 14th.

But, still, yeah. There's no way in hell the final tier of Legion lasts all of 2 months. That's just fucking nonsense.
Nov 14th would be 7.3.5 not necessarily the raid. Kinda like how Tomb didn't open with 7.2.5. Blizz tends to want tiers to last 6 months.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:00 PM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
You are just showing my point. The reason Cata feels off to you is exactly because they went too overboard with a secondary theme (Old Gods), making it too close in importance to the primary one (the breaking of the world and Deathwing). "Old Gods" was not the center of the narrative, nor its selling point. They took it too far, weakening the story.
I too feel the Old Gods were THE theme of the expansion, regardless of the monster poster with Deathwing. Every threat the expansion offered was in the form of some corrupted, crazy or just willing servant of the Old Gods. Deathwing was just there to lure people to fight some big bad monster in the end. To have a Lich King in the poster and at the end of the last raid. Even as far as having the personality of a villain, Deathwing had none. He was just some babbling big, crazy and corrupted monster. "His" armies had gossip text all over the expansion saying how they were following him only because of the Old Gods. Same way Azshara, Ragnaros and Al'akir were trying to destroy the world at the same time one way or another.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:12 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitrix View Post
Even as far as having the personality of a villain, Deathwing had none.
The sad fate of every single WoW-era Old God servant. The moment one of their tentacles touch you, you lose any sort of character or motivation and just become crazy and evil for reasons.

I miss the black dragonflight when they were schemers and mad scientists.

...I feel like I need to take a break from WoW because I really don't like to complain as much as I have been recently, but I am just sick to death of tentacles and whispers.

Last edited by Asterisk; 08-11-2017 at 07:22 PM..
Old 08-11-2017, 07:24 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

The world’s biggest game convention is almost upon us! Blizzard will be in Cologne from August 22 to 26, showcasing our latest games, presenting awesome activities on stage, and streaming live from our booth. Those who can’t make it to gamescom in person will be able to join the excitement thanks to well-known streamers catching the action on the show floor, bringing you news and enjoying chats with the development team on site.

Check out our streamer line-up!

FatbossTV

With more than 250,000 subscribers on YouTube and 70,000 followers on Twitch Alex and Loz, better known as FatBossTV, are a go-to resource for raid tactics, strategies and discussions within the World of Warcraft community.
Twitch.tv/FatbossTV

Ungespielt

Simon Wiefels, better known as Ungespielt, is one of the biggest gaming personalities in Germany, with more than 2 million YouTube subscribers and 800,000 Twitch followers. Well known as a Minecraft Let's Player, he also loves to play World of Warcraft and is currently focusing on PvE content with his Death Knight tank.
Twitch.tv/ungespielt

Mamytwink & Zecharia

Mamytwink and Zecharia are the founders of one of the biggest World of Warcraft fan sites in France, and one of the country's biggest gaming YouTube channels with more than 600,000 subscribers. They're also famous for their Blizzard world records, and their collection of useless but invaluable World of Warcraft feats and content.
Twitch.tv/mamytwink

Chronosh

Artem Okorokov, better known as Chronosh, is the voice of xDlate Production, one of the biggest Russian-speaking YouTube channels that focuses on Blizzard lore. The xDlate team creates quality Russian voiceovers and YouTube videos, specializing in Diablo, Heroes of the Storm, and World of Warcraft, as well as other game and movie universes. The Russian WoW community best knows Chronosh as the author and narrator of the "History of the World of Warcraft," a series of WoW lore containing more than 40 chapters.
Twitch.tv/xdlate

Our gamescom site will also be your source for a full schedule of stage activities, live streams, and more. Additional details about Blizzard at gamescom will be available soon, so stay tuned!

Those are all people the website points out are there specifically for WoW coverage, and the bolded... They're definitely going to be showing off something.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:19 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
The sad fate of every single WoW-era Old God servant. The moment one of their tentacles touch you, you lose any sort of character or motivation and just become crazy and evil for reasons.

I miss the black dragonflight when they were schemers and mad scientists.

...I feel like I need to take a break from WoW because I really don't like to complain as much as I have been recently, but I am just sick to death of tentacles and whispers.
It's the fate of every WoW-era anything, I'm afraid. I think it's a side-effect of the comicbook style power creep. Things always need to be more "epic" and bigger. Louder, flashier, and with twice the potential apocalypse as before.

It's like how the Old Gods went from C'thun's ominous and weakly whispered telepathic statements to Yogg-Saron's boisterous laughter and more ordinary conversational style. Yogg-Saron is pretty fun and all, but C'thun was the one who sold the whole outer god act. Plus, he had the whole eye thing going for him, so he didn't need to rely on tentacles.

That "You stand before a god." moment was probably my favorite in AQ. It's just a simple short statement that carries more weight than all of Yogg-Saron's boasts about being the God of Death.

It's actually funny that Xal'atath has a perfect quote for how Blizzard should be handling Old God whispers than how they actually are.
Quote:
Xal'atath whispers: Invaders messily corrupting other invaders. Typical. Far more useful to coax them along the proper path. Don't you think?
I'd trade all the flashy madness in the world for a bit of something subtler, where the Old Gods actually gradually led people to see things their way.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:38 AM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
My guess, if the domain is legitimate, then maybe the guy behind the Veil of Shadows "leak" just happened to find the domain before anyone else and used the name for his fake to make it seem more likely.
That ! Or he leaked a content that was only a draft and not finished at all. A first version of the website or a page that needs to be reviewed. Like placeholder content... ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
Nothing, this is Scrolls of Lore, every conversation on here slowly distills down to Sylvanas, Lorderon or Worgen. I'm pretty sure that theres a mathematical truth to this.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:41 AM

Elune

It'll be intensely disappointing if GamesCom ends up as nothing more than a 7.3 recap show to drum up hype for the patch coming the week after, with streamers playing through Argus' zones and offering really tepid Q&As with devs over vague "future content".

Like, we have it all but confirmed that 7.3 is hitting live servers on August 29th. If that's the big announcement (along with a trailer, presumably), whew. It's gonna be rough.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:16 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
It'll be intensely disappointing if GamesCom ends up as nothing more than a 7.3 recap show to drum up hype for the patch coming the week after, with streamers playing through Argus' zones and offering really tepid Q&As with devs over vague "future content".

Like, we have it all but confirmed that 7.3 is hitting live servers on August 29th. If that's the big announcement (along with a trailer, presumably), whew. It's gonna be rough.
Well, when Cata was bleeding subscriptions because Blizzard decided everyone should either become hardcore or GTFO, we had a Blizzcon where they showed off Mists despite 4.3 not being live yet.

So I guess if Legion's doing shit enough, they'll probably do what they did during the Legion announcement and hit the "in case of dead game, break glass and promise everything" hype button.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:28 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakhed View Post

I'd trade all the flashy madness in the world for a bit of something subtler, where the Old Gods actually gradually led people to see things their way.
I think cutting on the whole "hideous proliferation of fleshy outgrowth" theme would help, too. Make Old Gods subtly dominate minds (and bodies as a result), not play some sort of cancerverse Risk match.

Last edited by Thornedale; 08-12-2017 at 04:33 AM..
Old 08-12-2017, 07:01 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:

That 7.3 is likely coming out that same week is exactly why I don't think we'll get an expansion announcement. They should want to focus on getting people to talk about that and not overshadow it.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:21 AM

Huntress

Quote:
That 7.3 is likely coming out that same week is exactly why I don't think we'll get an expansion announcement. They should want to focus on getting people to talk about that and not overshadow it.
They could do both, like how Blizzcon 2011 was both MoP and 4.3.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:14 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

You are literally deluding yourself if you expect Anything else than the 7.3 trailer from gamescom.

They showed thet 7.2 trailer a WEEK before it was released.

Dont forget about the #BiggestPatchEVER
Old 08-12-2017, 10:44 AM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
You are literally deluding yourself if you expect Anything else than the 7.3 trailer from gamescom.

They showed thet 7.2 trailer a WEEK before it was released.

Dont forget about the #BiggestPatchEVER
Legion was revealed at gamescom... they are several blizzard rep. Hinting at a big reveal at gamescom and saying to fansite that they shouldnt miss this gamescom.
They leaked kul tiras file into the 7.3 ptr. It was not a mistake it was to start the 8.0 hype till gamescom. I would not be surprised if blizzard was behind several.of those leaks to incite speculation and pushing the hype further...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
Nothing, this is Scrolls of Lore, every conversation on here slowly distills down to Sylvanas, Lorderon or Worgen. I'm pretty sure that theres a mathematical truth to this.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:46 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

I am almost willing to bet money that its the 7.3 trailer
Old 08-12-2017, 11:05 AM

Mountain Giant

Most WoW fansites are for covering new gameplay features and new expansions generally have a lot of big ones. Seems useless for Blizzard to invite these people just to cover a 2 minute trailer for a patch we already know mostly everything about.

It feels more likely to me that they would do the same thing they did with Legion and reveal the expansion and its major features at Gamescom, and go more in depth at BlizzCon with developer panels and all that.

But I suppose it's anyone's guess at this point.

Last edited by Barlie; 08-12-2017 at 11:10 AM..
Old 08-12-2017, 11:11 AM

Huntress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I am almost willing to bet money that its the 7.3 trailer
You probably are right, but I certainly wouldn't rule out some kind of next expansion thing.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:30 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Right now I'm leaning towards something a bit out of left field. Warcraft 3 just got its first PTR in a long time. Could be WCIII remastered.

Remember when we were wondering what "Heroes of Warcraft" was before Hearthstone was announced? Hell, I played Hearthstone's internal alpha at Blizzard and didn't know what it was gonna be called.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:28 PM

Arch-Druid

Warcraft 4: Alleria and Turalyon's Interdimensional Gap Decade.
Warcraft Trilogy HD Retconned 4k Edition.
Or more likely, an Annual Pass for the revamped WC3, and a bucketful of "we thought people would be more excited for this shit" interviews already pre-recorded to save time later.
Closed Thread

Tags
world of warcraft, wow legion