Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 04:33 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungleluke View Post
I'm planning to return to Azeroth (starting with the Broken Isles) in about three weeks when the schoolyear is over. Is there some kind of best order in which to do the zones? And is running-up more clear than in Warlords of Draenor? As there were questmarks EVERYWHERE in your Garrison. My OCD man.
Download the conslegion addon. It'll show you the quickest way to level through each zone.

You're gonna wanna 100% each zone though to unlock all the WQs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
Interesting tidbit I found while looking through WMV.

It appears that at one point in Legion's development, the Emerald Nightmare's color scheme was going to be dark blue and purple instead of red and black.
Got any images? Sounds a lot like the aesthetics of the sha of pride.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:36 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

The secrets discord has discovered another Kosumoth/Riddler's Mind Worm secret. This time it's about a new battle pet and a cave added to Winterspring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Got any images? Sounds a lot like the aesthetics of the sha of pride.
Originally, Val'Sharah had completely different models for its trees. These models still exist in WMV, but most had their textures removed:

7vs_megatree_c01

But a couple are still textured:

7vs_tree_c01
7vs_tree_nightmare_c01

There are also a bunch of other objects with "nightmare" in the file name that use the blue and purple color scheme (and these are only a couple, there are several more):

7vs_nightmare_largerock_a01
7vs_nightmare_sinkhole_b01
7vs_nightmarecliff_corner
7vs_nightmare_tallgrass_b01

Also, as you can see from the list of file names, while the art was either removed or never created, there are files for purple versions of all those veiny nightmare webs:

7vs_nightmare_weed_purple_c01

Last edited by Insane Guy of Doom; 06-15-2017 at 05:08 PM..
Old 06-15-2017, 07:04 PM

Elune

Five years ago, I received a phone call from Blizzard offering me the chance of a lifetime—a position on the World of Warcraft team.

Simply put, this is my favorite game of all time, and working on it these past five years has been a dream come true. I have learned so much from the women and men who make it and everyone who plays it. I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to work on a game that so many people around the world are so passionate about.

A few weeks ago, I was offered a new opportunity at Blizzard that I’m really excited about. Tomorrow is my last day working on World of Warcraft.

As a longtime player, I couldn't be more excited about what the future has in store for World of Warcraft. In particular, the PvP team remains hard at work on some incredible plans. I fully expect that the best years of World of Warcraft PvP are ahead of us.

Thank you to everyone involved with World of Warcraft, from the development team to the players, for letting me be a part of this game's community. I consider it a great privilege.

Brian Holinka

Holinka is quitting.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:27 PM

Warden

I'm rather "meh" about his departure and more concerned with who might be filling in.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:44 PM

Keeper of the Grove
BattleTag: MelosEgo#1512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
Five years ago, I received a phone call from Blizzard offering me the chance of a lifetime—a position on the World of Warcraft team.

Simply put, this is my favorite game of all time, and working on it these past five years has been a dream come true. I have learned so much from the women and men who make it and everyone who plays it. I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to work on a game that so many people around the world are so passionate about.

A few weeks ago, I was offered a new opportunity at Blizzard that I’m really excited about. Tomorrow is my last day working on World of Warcraft.

As a longtime player, I couldn't be more excited about what the future has in store for World of Warcraft. In particular, the PvP team remains hard at work on some incredible plans. I fully expect that the best years of World of Warcraft PvP are ahead of us.

Thank you to everyone involved with World of Warcraft, from the development team to the players, for letting me be a part of this game's community. I consider it a great privilege.

Brian Holinka

Holinka is quitting.
Finally.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:54 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Unless they go back to wotlk / early catalog game will be shit for pvp
Old 06-16-2017, 03:58 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post

Originally, Val'Sharah had completely different models for its trees. These models still exist in WMV, but most had their textures removed:

7vs_megatree_c01

But a couple are still textured:

7vs_tree_c01
7vs_tree_nightmare_c01

There are also a bunch of other objects with "nightmare" in the file name that use the blue and purple color scheme (and these are only a couple, there are several more):

7vs_nightmare_largerock_a01
7vs_nightmare_sinkhole_b01
7vs_nightmarecliff_corner
7vs_nightmare_tallgrass_b01

Also, as you can see from the list of file names, while the art was either removed or never created, there are files for purple versions of all those veiny nightmare webs:

7vs_nightmare_weed_purple_c01
There's also a bit of purple Nightmare stuff in the Legion artbook:

https://pp.userapi.com/c637321/v6373...0zCPN4keio.jpg
https://pp.userapi.com/c637321/v6373...jvO62GpswQ.jpg
https://pp.userapi.com/c637321/v6373...oHpwEpQRLc.jpg
Old 06-16-2017, 04:58 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungleluke View Post
I'm planning to return to Azeroth (starting with the Broken Isles) in about three weeks when the schoolyear is over. Is there some kind of best order in which to do the zones? And is running-up more clear than in Warlords of Draenor? As there were questmarks EVERYWHERE in your Garrison. My OCD man.
Chronologically Azsuna is more than likely the first zone. Khadgar talks about you "testing out that artifact", it's the one zone that directly pits you against the Legion from the start (as per the theme of the expansion) and there is also a kind-of breadcrumb for Stormheim towards the end that doesn't make much sense if you've already completed it.

From there it's pretty much fair game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
Holinka is quitting.

Not sure how I feel about this. Part of me wants to blame him for the utterly atrocious state of PvP and considering how tone death his interviews almost always were I can't help but feel at least a little justified in it. On the other hand he's one guy and the person replacing him may be even worse.

Last edited by Drusus; 06-16-2017 at 05:01 AM..
Old 06-16-2017, 06:21 AM

Faerie Dragon

The purple Nightmare early design was already showed at Blizzcon 2015, and as someone else mentioned it's also in the artbook.

http://i.imgur.com/3ZkKzyb.jpg

I have to say, I prefer the red. My only problem with it is that it's not really interesting. It's literally just.. red fel. Acts the exact same way. Touches stuff, stuff becomes red, and then it just sits there and does nothing. If "stuff" is a person, person is red-corrupted and goes mad. It's literally fel. I would've liked if the Nightmare was more alive. If it was somewhat living. Perhaps it could've literally reflected the will of Xavius, or the old gods, moving as one and all. I think it should've been closer to Draenor's plant life and its mind-controlling creatures than fel.

They've done a great job animation and ambiance-wise - for example we can see Nightmare vines and branches that resemble "veins" and that seem to be pumping something, likely more corruption - but it serves no purpose, has no impact, it doesn't matter. I would've liked to see the Nightmare take life, exactly like the start of the Heart of Thorns trailer that somebody else mentioned. Not too extreme (like the said trailer's ending or the Sporemounds), but it just being alive, a sort of smaller-scale Evergrowth. Just spitting out how I feel about it. I don't know. Not just red fel.

Last edited by MyMindWontQuiet; 06-16-2017 at 06:26 AM..
Old 06-16-2017, 07:17 AM

Arch-Druid

That pet IGoD posted about has been fully figured out.
Alchemists are going to make a killing.
https://www.scribd.com/document/3514...rter-Hatchling
Old 06-16-2017, 11:55 AM

Sentinel Queen

That old color palette on top of Suramar would've given me purple fatigue.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:21 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mending View Post
That old color palette on top of Suramar would've given me purple fatigue.
The Nightmare raid alone was kinda hard on me visually. The red was extremely obnoxious. It was just too much. I think mixing the purple and red would have been best, with the deeper you go into the Nightmare, the more red it becomes. It would have helped a lot to

I wish it had more of a plagued/diseased theme and colors generally associated with that tbh, as was kinda hinted at way back in the day with the Dragons of Nightmare.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:46 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpiusMaximus View Post
I wish it had more of a plagued/diseased theme and colors generally associated with that tbh, as was kinda hinted at way back in the day with the Dragons of Nightmare.
Well, between its portrayal as a rapidly spreading "carpet" of tendrils, jagged vines and poisonous insects in Stormrage, the spreading jungle and over-breeding wildlife in the Barrens, and even the rapidly growing sprawl of plantlike contagion all over Val'aharah, one of the Nightmare's hallmarks is rampant and all-consuming growth. If anything rather than reflecting the Nightmare itself, Emeriss's slant toward plague and decay could embody the sickness and wasting away that can afflicts everything else when something in Nature grows ravenously out of control.

Last edited by ARM3481; 06-16-2017 at 01:48 PM..
Old 06-16-2017, 04:26 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

After seeing this student art contest entry, I really want a race of elephant-men now.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:32 PM

World Builder

Put em in Solthris

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 06-16-2017, 05:40 PM

Arch-Druid

I think I'd like to see elephant men, but the chance for one with that aesthetic probably passed with Pandaria. Unless maybe they make Zandalar an entire expansion and have non-troll parts of it (I really really want them to do that), in which case the known proximity to Pandaria could lead to elephant people who interacted with Pandarian civilizations pre-Sundering.

Last edited by Asterisk; 06-16-2017 at 05:42 PM..
Old 06-16-2017, 06:52 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
I think I'd like to see elephant men, but the chance for one with that aesthetic probably passed with Pandaria. Unless maybe they make Zandalar an entire expansion and have non-troll parts of it (I really really want them to do that), in which case the known proximity to Pandaria could lead to elephant people who interacted with Pandarian civilizations pre-Sundering.
That'd be cool, I approve.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:08 PM

Elune

I'd play an elephant man.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:01 PM

Warden

Less anthropomorphic animal races and more chimeric monstrosities that defy taxonomy.

On that note, the classic fantasy races are just humans of a different shape or color. Animal inspired humanoid races are a step up, but they aren't taking advantage of creative freedom afforded by fantasy.

Last edited by Apep; 06-16-2017 at 10:04 PM..
Old 06-16-2017, 10:24 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apep View Post
Less anthropomorphic animal races and more chimeric monstrosities that defy taxonomy.

On that note, the classic fantasy races are just humans of a different shape or color. Animal inspired humanoid races are a step up, but they aren't taking advantage of creative freedom afforded by fantasy.
This is true, but it also makes describing them without visual references a lot harder

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 06-16-2017, 10:33 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
This is true, but it also makes describing them without visual references a lot harder
Eh, not really. It's pretty easy to design a new race chimerically or just using evolutionary principles. The bigger issue is setting them inside the rest of the universe. I've done it two dozen times, but it's always difficult to build them in when you start out with humanity as the baseline humanoid presence.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:11 AM

Sentinel Queen

Playable loxodons when?

Also, not sure if this was brought up before on here, but party members can ride the new druid flight form! I used to think it was meh, but this little feature brought up its cool factor by a lot for me.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:58 AM

Eternal

Got the Wrathsteed for my Warlock alt yesterday.

Turns out, you can enslave the steed from right under the ass of the boss at the final fight. This instantly lets you complete the quest while the boss is helplessly sitting on a horse that doesn't obey him anymore.
It's quite hilarious.
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Old 06-17-2017, 05:43 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apep View Post

That race looks like they were based on Indians/Nepalese, which outside of Far Cry, I cannot think of many games that touch on Nepal.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:30 AM

Eternal

Well, we've got draenei, which are a mix of a smurf, a goat, and Davy Jones!
Closed Thread

Tags
world of warcraft, wow legion