Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 07:02 PM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster View Post
So how can Turalyon have been fighting the Legion for thousands of years?
The Twisting Nether is a strange place according to lore. Time passes somewhat different (centuries can pass there and be only decades in Azeroth) and for all we know the Light has made Turalyon immortal or something. And, well, Alleria is an elf.

Summary: we don't know.

Last edited by Whitrix; 08-06-2017 at 08:07 PM..
Old 08-06-2017, 07:20 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
So how can Turalyon have been fighting the Legion for thousands of years?
The Marksmanship artifact quest established that time passes differently in the Twisting Nether. As for how he's lived that long, uh??
Old 08-06-2017, 07:26 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
The Sha'tar fought Illidan because of Kael. If you trace back every lore description of the Sha'tar back to the Burning Crusade official websites, the original offender is shown as being Kael ("under" Illidan, but yeeh), not the purple-skinned genocidal maniac.
I need to double check, but I'm pretty sure the novel mentions the Scryers as already being part of the Sha'tar when Maiev asks A'dal for help and is told Illidan's not the Sha'tar's enemy.

Last edited by Insane Guy of Doom; 08-06-2017 at 07:30 PM..
Old 08-06-2017, 07:28 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

So then, maybe the time could pass differently while we're there too but go forward. Like, we are only there for a few weeks, but that amounts to 10-15 years on Azeroth. We come back and in our absence, the Naga and Zandalari made their move and invaded Kul'Tiras or something like that.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:57 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
The Sha'tar fought Illidan because of Kael. If you trace back every lore description of the Sha'tar back to the Burning Crusade official websites, the original offender is shown as being Kael ("under" Illidan, but yeeh), not the purple-skinned genocidal maniac.
Kael did attack Shattrath, but it is ambiguous if every attack was by him. It may or may not have been.

Then Akama made a deal with A'dal, who was already fighting Illidan due to the attacks that may have been all Kael.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.

Last edited by Revenant; 08-06-2017 at 09:00 PM..
Old 08-06-2017, 09:42 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitrix View Post
The Twisting Nether is a strange place according to lore. Time passes somewhat different (centuries can pass there and be only decades in Azeroth) and for all we know the Light has made Turalyon immortal or something. And, well, Alleria is an elf.

Summary: we don't know.
Is there an accepted definition of "Year" in Warcraft? At this point it's just as much of a space opera as Star Craft what with multiple planets, is it established that Outland, Argus and Azeroth all take the same time to orbit their suns?
Old 08-06-2017, 09:44 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
So then, maybe the time could pass differently while we're there too but go forward. Like, we are only there for a few weeks, but that amounts to 10-15 years on Azeroth. We come back and in our absence, the Naga and Zandalari made their move and invaded Kul'Tiras or something like that.
Using Alleria and Turalyon as precedent though, it's longer inside, shorter outside. Us being gone for a few weeks would be a few hours or days on Azeroth. And that's if time disparity even counts on Argus since Argus is on the border of Nether and real space, not fully in the Nether.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:33 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
The Marksmanship artifact quest established that time passes differently in the Twisting Nether. As for how he's lived that long, uh??
Maybe it was ~40 years for his physical age, and the reasons could be many, from elements of temporal subjectivity to being constantly exposed to TN's volatile energies.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:53 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
https://twitter.com/TerranGregory/st...81973324464130

Terran with a hype train tweet. That's sure to kick the wheels.
Hmm, a 2-seconds long looping gif of an old black-and-white train? Is this supposed to be indicative of the quality of the content they'll be showing at Gamescom?

I kid, I kid. Honestly though, I think they'll have a preview of the class relics ready.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:25 AM

Arch-Druid

Just hit me that, if the expansion is revealed at Gamescom, then the title copryright will be available at any time within the next 2 weeks. It would be instantly reckognizable if it features "Kul Tiras" in the title.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 08-07-2017, 09:31 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
Just hit me that, if the expansion is revealed at Gamescom, then the title copryright will be available at any time within the next 2 weeks. It would be instantly reckognizable if it features "Kul Tiras" in the title.
I dunno, Legion wasn't leaked that way. They've gotten better at keeping a handle on trademarks. I definitely expect to see dozens of fakes with Kul Tiras in their name over the next few weeks though.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:42 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: JulianPatel#1800

I doubt that "Kul Tiras" will be in the title of the expansion. It probably won't be more than a zone or a hub.

Besides the phrase "Kul Tiras" is a bit unwieldy.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:47 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
I dunno, Legion wasn't leaked that way. They've gotten better at keeping a handle on trademarks. I definitely expect to see dozens of fakes with Kul Tiras in their name over the next few weeks though.
A single-word title like "Legion" is a lot more difficult to find than a unique phrase. I think you can't even copyright something as "Legion".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Targaryen View Post
I doubt that "Kul Tiras" will be in the title of the expansion. It probably won't be more than a zone or a hub.
If it is the focus of the expansion, it will be in the title, it does not matter if it's just one of the zones.

Quote:
Not at all. It would probably be "Something (Shadows/Waves/Tides/Seas) of Kul Tiras" or "The Something (Pirates/Admirals/Conquerors/Dangers) of Kul Tiras".

Old 08-07-2017, 10:10 AM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

The Kul Tiras robes seemed like questing gear to me. That somewhat rules out a hub, though not absolutely (I'd love to see more urban combat). It strikes me as more like leveling gear, which could either mean a starting new area or as a high level expansion zone (or a series of zones for the expansion).

Personally I'd prefer for KT to either be a starting zone or the first zone of an expansion, from which you launch out on an adventure of naval exploration, warfare, and colonization.

The more I think about it, the more I feel we truly are due for another Cataclysm Effect. Not unlike with WotLK, I feel like the World of Warcraft will not be the same after this. I'm not expecting to blow up the world again. Perhaps more of a mending.

I'd say the theme that has been there throughout the expansion, emphasized in 7.3 and that is seeding for next expansion is Titan stuff. In WoD we followed Khadgar as he hunted Gul'Dan. In this, the correlation would be the Pillars of Eternity. 7.3 is bringing back Aggramar as a corrupted shadow of himself, having us work with Eonar, and identifying Argus as a World Soul. I'd say that's even bigger than the Void stuff from Alleria.

Last edited by Menel'dirion; 08-07-2017 at 10:22 AM..
Old 08-07-2017, 10:12 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
A single-word title like "Legion" is a lot more difficult to find than a unique phrase. I think you can't even copyright something as "Legion."
Yeah, while other expansions just had their names trademarked alone, Legion was trademarked as "World of Warcraft:Legion," presumably for that reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Targaryen View Post

It's probably going to be part of the title for a simple reason. The fact that the armor is called "kultirasquest." Leveling armor for an expansion uses the naming scheme "(snippet of expansion's name)quest." For example, Broken Isles leveling gear is called "legionquest," not "brokenislesquest" (WoD's is "draenorquest").

Thus, unless they've changed the naming scheme, the expansion's name is something like (Blank) of Kul Tiras.

Last edited by Insane Guy of Doom; 08-07-2017 at 10:15 AM..
Old 08-07-2017, 10:16 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Joeygiggles#1104

I cannot really think of any reason Kul Tiras will be in the Expansion name. It will most likely be something with regarding the Seas in a way. The only Expac we have gotten with the continent name is Mists of Pandaria. Pandaria was the focal point, I dont think KT will be anything more than a zone or zone/hub for the start of the expac. Just my opinion

Edit:and after seeing IGODs reason Ok theres that lol

Last edited by Joeygiggles; 08-07-2017 at 10:21 AM..
Old 08-07-2017, 10:21 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeygiggles View Post
I cannot really think of any reason Kul Tiras will be in the Expansion name. It will most likely be something with regarding the Seas in a way. The only Expac we have gotten with the continent name is Mists of Pandaria. Pandaria was the focal point, I dont think KT will be anything more than a zone or zone/hub for the start of the expac. Just my opinion
I think either Kul Tiras will be the main enemy (as in, an invasion force that needs to be defeated), a max-level hub or, if it's the Alliance starting area, the origin of the name of whatever landmass we will be in ("Something of Kul Tiras" or "Tirassian Something".)

As for that landmass, it could be that several islands have been draw together by the Cataclysm. Kul Tiras, Balor, Zul'Dare and Plunder Isle, almost certainly. Maybe also Zandalar, Kezan and/or Tel'Abim. Maybe even a raised landmass, like Nazjatar.

Or maybe Kul Tiras is invading Lordaeron, it is a new zone in Eastern Kingdoms, and this is a Lordaeron expansion, with Kul Tiras being max-level content.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:26 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Wonder if they're aiming to release 7.3 during the week of Gamescom rather than a week later given the end of season announcement.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:53 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Joeygiggles#1104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Wonder if they're aiming to release 7.3 during the week of Gamescom rather than a week later given the end of season announcement.
If they released 7.3 during that week then we can probably go ahead and say they will announce either the expac or the upcoming patch
Old 08-07-2017, 10:54 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

If 7.3 does come out then, which given the end of season announcement is looking pretty likely, the patch trailer and cinematics will already be out (aside from the raid one(s)) so there shouldn't be anything for Terran Gregory to be hyped about...
Old 08-07-2017, 11:07 AM

Demon Hunter

Okay this is probably a really dumb thought, but I wonder if anything special went into the phasing tech of the Vindicaar "moving" to different locations. Its probably same old phasing tech, or just changing the viewing port? Trying to think if theres anything unique about it that they could be developing for a system for us moving naval ships back and forth between different islands in a south seas type expansion. I guess that would be pretty lame though if that were the only method of travel between different zones on a new expansion "continent".
Old 08-07-2017, 11:13 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sift View Post
Okay this is probably a really dumb thought, but I wonder if anything special went into the phasing tech of the Vindicaar "moving" to different locations. Its probably same old phasing tech, or just changing the viewing port? Trying to think if theres anything unique about it that they could be developing for a system for us moving naval ships back and forth between different islands in a south seas type expansion. I guess that would be pretty lame though if that were the only method of travel between different zones on a new expansion "continent".
At least according to the minimap, there are actually three separate vindicaars, once in each zone. "Moving" the ship just teleports your character to the selected zone's copy of the vindicaar.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:31 AM

Warden

I expect everything from wow. Even an entire expansion centered around the chain of isles of Kul Tiras. Remember the Broken Isles. They were elven ruins with lots of coral back in Wc3 and, while in the lore they keep being simple islands, ingame they're continent-sized. I can easily see Kul Tiras as the same. Being in the map with the size of, I don't know, Arathi or Tirisfal but ingame as a continent with the stock snowy mountains, stock forest, etc.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:44 AM

Elune

Quote:
Not necessarily. Whether intended or not, Legion's trademark didn't appear til after the expansion was announced. If I had to armchair copyright lawyer to speculate, it's probably because they couldn't trademark "Legion" itself -- they had to file for "World of Warcraft: Legion", which was a first for expansion names.

So.. if we are going to see a filing, it's either going to happen soon, or not at all.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:51 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
Not necessarily. Whether intended or not, Legion's trademark didn't appear til after the expansion was announced. If I had to armchair copyright lawyer to speculate, it's probably because they couldn't trademark "Legion" itself -- they had to file for "World of Warcraft: Legion", which was a first for expansion names.

So.. if we are going to see a filing, it's either going to happen soon, or not at all.
I know that, commented about it above. If it has "Kul Tiras" in it, thought, they'll need to copyright it.

I wouldn't doubt if we get a "World of Warcraft: X of Kul Tiras" copyright before Gamescom (if it's announced there, of course). With all the files naming "Kul Tiras", they have less need to keep the secret.

Closed Thread

Tags
world of warcraft, wow legion