Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 10:35 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
well yeah.. legion is basically the alliance fist pump expansion.
It was more of an Elf expansion.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:37 AM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
Eh which one?
Khadgar here says that he could not find the two after the explosion of Draenor, but there are dialogues between Arator, Danath and a Honor Hold priest that suggest that Turalyon & Alleria spent some years on Outland before disappearing.

Oh and of course the Beyond the Dark Portal novel has Turalyon, Khadgar and Alleria returning together to Honor Hold right after the destruction.

Last edited by Mordecay; 08-11-2017 at 10:40 AM..
Old 08-11-2017, 10:38 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
It was more of an Elf expansion.
Super depressing one, brotates.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:47 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
I just saw your post on MMO-Champion (included below for people who haven't seen it)

They've all be updated semi-regularly, I'm not sure if this is how GoDaddy works, but maybe Blizzard reserves them under different names and updates them once the expansion title is decided upon?

Though one thing that makes me unsure about the name is that it has "Shadows" in it, now that we know 7.3 is called "Shadows of Argus." It seems weird and unusual to use the same adjective in a patch and a expansion one after the other.
If that name was anchored to any other leak I'd be more gung ho about believing it, but the Veil of Shadows one was just... bad. And the release date is absolutely nonsensical.

Still, the domain was registered in 2013 and the coincidence between that and the other expansion domains makes me side eye it hard. It exists, and that's all we've got so far. It's tangible.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:48 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordecay View Post
Khadgar here says that he could not find the two after the explosion of Draenor, but there are dialogues between Arator, Danath and a Honor Hold priest that suggest that Turalyon & Alleria spent some years on Outland before disappearing.

Oh and of course the Beyond the Dark Portal novel has Turalyon, Khadgar and Alleria returning together to Honor Hold right after the destruction.
Possibility 1: Retcon #1908
Possibility 2: Khadgar may be just simplifying things.

Edit: I searched the exact exchange between Danath, Arator and the priest, but it does not say anything about when or how Turalyon was lost. So, Khadgar's speech does not contradict it.

It does contradict the novel, of course, but the novel does not even hint at Arator existing, so you could say the novel has been retconned already.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).

Last edited by Deicide; 08-11-2017 at 10:54 AM..
Old 08-11-2017, 10:52 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
If that name was anchored to any other leak I'd be more gung ho about believing it, but the Veil of Shadows one was just... bad. And the release date is absolutely nonsensical.
This. Sit down and read this quote from it. Not the content, but the composition. Missing words, typos, commas where there shouldn't be. It's really bad, no professional would write this.
Quote:
The Tidestone of Golganneth has been acquired by Queen Azshara’s forces, and she has risen her ancient kingdoms from the depths, and in the new dawn of the Nazjatar Empire, Azshara’s experiments have created new life among the Naga in the light of her perfection. But, Tidestone’s might is not what is once was since it was, and Azshara’s wrath can still yet hope to be stopped. Her new armies storm the shores of our homes, and the Tidestone will have the energy for devastation soon. Even without the pillar, the theat Queen Azshara poses could rupture the foundations of our known world.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:06 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
This. Sit down and read this quote from it. Not the content, but the composition. Missing words, typos, commas where there shouldn't be. It's really bad, no professional would write this.
Beyond simple grammar, it's also devoid of storytelling focus. Try to make a short sentence of every expansion, then from this VoS leak.

"Deathwing has returned and caused a Cataclysm that shattered the world."
"Amid the war between Alliance and Horde, journey to the mysterious land of Pandaria."
"Orc lords from Draenor attack Azeroth throught the Dark Portal, forcing us to invade their world to stop the invasion"
"The Legion has returned, and we must gather our forces to stop them"

Against:

"Queen Azshara raised her kingdom. Magni has gone corrupt and formed an army beneath Blackrock Mountain. Infinite Dragons have returned. Zandalari plan on resurrecting Hakkar in the Hinterlands. Odyn does something stupid."

The story is all over the place, there's no clear main threat, no specific place we are going to visit. There's five different plots with completely different themes linked together only because of the ominous VOID(!).

Even the features make little sense. Why make ships for players to comandeer if the expansion is not even centered on the seas?

People are only taking it seriously because: (1) they like at least one of the plots, (2) they like some feature there or (3) they have swalled the whole VOID(!) threat and really believe Blizzard will delve directly into it next.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:22 AM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
Possibility 1: Retcon #1908
Possibility 2: Khadgar may be just simplifying things.

Edit: I searched the exact exchange between Danath, Arator and the priest, but it does not say anything about when or how Turalyon was lost. So, Khadgar's speech does not contradict it.

It does contradict the novel, of course, but the novel does not even hint at Arator existing, so you could say the novel has been retconned already.
The priest says that the two got lost "after a battle" (which could be the one when Draenor was blown, we don't know what he referred to) and Danath specifically mentioned years: "I am afraid that I do not, Arator. I have not seen or heard from your father in 15 years." That should be Year 11 or so. That would mean that they spent approx 3 years on Outland. So maybe even this shouldn't be taken literally, but still...
Old 08-11-2017, 12:03 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post

Still, the domain was registered in 2013 and the coincidence between that and the other expansion domains makes me side eye it hard. It exists, and that's all we've got so far. It's tangible.
The release date part is what showed it as fake to me. The Argus raid won't even open till December or January so obviously the expansion isn't in January.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:04 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
The release date part is what showed it as fake to me. The Argus raid won't even open till December or January so obviously the expansion isn't in January.
Well, if we're sticking to the 77 day trend, it'll be Nov 14th.

But, still, yeah. There's no way in hell the final tier of Legion lasts all of 2 months. That's just fucking nonsense.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:18 PM

Huntress

Personally, I'm still thinking Kul'Tiras will be a continent in itself, Broken Isles and Pandaria were, before their respective expansions, only ever considered possible as part of the 'South Seas' expansion, after all.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:26 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
"Deathwing has returned and caused a Cataclysm that shattered the world."
"Amid the war between Alliance and Horde, journey to the mysterious land of Pandaria."
"Orc lords from Draenor attack Azeroth throught the Dark Portal, forcing us to invade their world to stop the invasion"
"The Legion has returned, and we must gather our forces to stop them"

Against:

"Queen Azshara raised her kingdom. Magni has gone corrupt and formed an army beneath Blackrock Mountain. Infinite Dragons have returned. Zandalari plan on resurrecting Hakkar in the Hinterlands. Odyn does something stupid."

The story is all over the place, there's no clear main threat, no specific place we are going to visit. There's five different plots with completely different themes linked together only because of the ominous VOID(!).
Odyn and Helya
Xavius and the Emerald Nightmare
Kil'jaeden at the Tomb
Elisande and Thalyssra
Dargrul
Old 08-11-2017, 12:40 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
Odyn and Helya
Kil'jaeden at the Tomb
Elisande and Thalyssra
Dargrul
All of those are on the same expansion-specific landmass...
Old 08-11-2017, 12:49 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
Odyn and Helya
Kil'jaeden at the Tomb
Elisande and Thalyssra
Dargrul
Every expansion has subplots, but having subplots and sideplots is different than selling all of them at once. All of those above can in some way be classified within "and we must gather our forces to stop them".

Go back to the Legion reveal site and check how much attention is given to those subplots. Xavius and Dargrul are given some attention, but Xavius is a known Legion agent. There was no mention of Odyn, Skovald or Helya, nor of anything related to Suramar. (It's still strange that they mentioned Dargrul at all)

These subplots and sideplots are made to give more substance and variety to the expansion, but are not selling points. As important as Elisande, Dargrul or Xavius were, it was clear that they'd be threats under the Legion.

Veil of Shadows has none of that. It sells details for each story without connecting them whatsoever. The only common theme is the "Void", which is an amorphous, unknown, absent higher enemy without any substance.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:50 PM

Druid of the Claw

It makes little sense to have a Void themed expansion right after a Legion themed one. The Void exists solely to give us a cosmic level threat now that the Legion is gone. If we address the Void next expansion, they'll just need to replace the Void with something else.

The Void is something to address down the line, ten years from now. Next expansion should be a MoP style, flesh out the world, introduce new races type expansion.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:55 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idolatry View Post
It makes little sense to have a Void themed expansion right after a Legion themed one. The Void exists solely to give us a cosmic level threat now that the Legion is gone. If we address the Void next expansion, they'll just need to replace the Void with something else.

The Void is something to address down the line, ten years from now. Next expansion should be a MoP style, flesh out the world, introduce new races type expansion.
Yep, agree on everything.

-------------

New leak from MMO-C!

11/10, would buy.

Hope this is the one true leak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athelstan123
Azeroth has been saved! The tyrannical forces of the Legion have been defeated. Sergeras, the dark titan, has been imprisoned by the Pantheon with Illidan as his eternal jailer. Our heroes return only to find the Bronze Dragon Aspect Nozdormu trying to contain the Timeways that have broken from the Caverns of Time. With it come an endless stream of Furbolg's ready to reclaim the world and claim their destiny.

New level cap 120

New race: Furbolg (Neutral)

New Race/Class combinations

Human Druid
Dwarf Druid
Gnome Druid
Draenei Druid
Pandaren Druid (Alliance Only)
Orc Druid
Undead Druid
Blood Elf Druid
Goblin Druid

Furbolg's can be the following:

Warrior
Paladin
Death Knight
Hunter
Shaman
Monk
Rogue
Demon Hunter
Warlock
Priest
Mage

5 New Zones:

The Timeways
Roots of Teldrassil
Caverns of time - Teldrassil
Furbolgonia
Kul Tiras (Because why not)

New Dungeons:

Sea of the Triamfurate
Abearsal's Maw
Uldabear
Zul'abear
The Vortex Pinecone.

Raids

The Tomb of Furbales

Blackwing's Bear.

New Features.

Pet Grooming.

Customize your pets with fancy new facial features. Hairstyles. Dances. Fashion accessories and more.

Artifact Mounts

Upgrade your favorite mounts. Unlock the power of your mount with Artifact Mount Power to earn rewards such as Fly Fishing. Increased mount speed. Learn to fly through the timeways back to an expansion you liked better.

Become The Warchief.

Your deeds have proven you a real champion of your faction. Rise above your exalted class leader status and take the mantle of the Horde/Alliance Take control of Orgrimmar/Stormwind, build your armies and upgrade your keeps in defense of the Furbolg Invasion. The feature improves classic Warlords of Draenor and Legion systems. More Missions. More Followers. More Buildings. More RNG. More Legendaries. Resurrect the spirits of Varian and Vol'jin to assist you on your travels.

And much much more...

The Furbolg invasion awaits heroes!

Old 08-11-2017, 01:12 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idolatry View Post

It's very easy to have a Void-themed expansion without going full cosmic with it It's possible to gradually build up to the Void, and even do it with a MoP style expansion. Plenty of adventure and exploration, with new landmasses and horrors rising from the depths.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:38 PM

Trade Baroness - Admin

It's not like Cata and BC ended the Void and Legion. Only Arthas was defeated in his first and only expansion.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:17 PM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:

-------------

New leak from MMO-C!

11/10, would buy.

PLAY-A-BLE FUR-BOLG?!

Old 08-11-2017, 02:27 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakhed View Post
It's very easy to have a Void-themed expansion without going full cosmic with it It's possible to gradually build up to the Void, and even do it with a MoP style expansion. Plenty of adventure and exploration, with new landmasses and horrors rising from the depths.
MoP style? What do you mean? MoP was an exploration/war expansion that ended up expanding Titan/Old God lore. That's very different from a Enemy-based theme.

I think you mean that the Void threat can be built further over other expansions. If it's that, I agree. Now, having a Void-themed expansion is different. You'd need to make the Void the center of the plot, the main, tangible threat. We are not ready for it yet. And we won't have a Void expansion any time soon.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:07 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
MoP style? What do you mean? MoP was an exploration/war expansion that ended up expanding Titan/Old God lore. That's very different from a Enemy-based theme.

I think you mean that the Void threat can be built further over other expansions. If it's that, I agree. Now, having a Void-themed expansion is different. You'd need to make the Void the center of the plot, the main, tangible threat. We are not ready for it yet. And we won't have a Void expansion any time soon.
We've had expansions where the forces of the Void were the main tangible threat before. We still have N'zoth around as a localized manifestation, that could be put to use just fine in a nautical themed expansion.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:41 PM

Elune

Quote:

-------------

New leak from MMO-C!

11/10, would buy.

I dont think I'd be able to bear dealing with Varian again
Old 08-11-2017, 04:00 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakhed View Post
We've had expansions where the forces of the Void were the main tangible threat before. We still have N'zoth around as a localized manifestation, that could be put to use just fine in a nautical themed expansion.
Cataclysm was centered on Deathwing. That does not make it a Void expansion, but a Deathwing expansion.

TBC had a lot of Legion. It wasn't centered on Legion, however. It was about Outland and its lord, Illidan, first and foremost. The Legion was just along for the ride.

Themes share links, but the focus of each is quite different. Understanding this is essential to tell (or sell) a good story.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:08 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
Cataclysm was centered on Deathwing. That does not make it a Void expansion, but a Deathwing expansion.
I think he was referring mostly to the Sha.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:26 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

I'll say this; no one would argue that Cata wasn't an "Old Gods" expansion. The question is whether or not the "Old Gods" count as a separate faction from the void.

Tags
world of warcraft, wow legion