Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 05-01-2018, 03:38 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe Stormstout View Post
Kakapo!

Yay!

Anyway when it comes to pterosaurs, isn't there a raising your own mount one of it too? Maybe we can get one from that.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:08 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakiba View Post
Anyway when it comes to pterosaurs, isn't there a raising your own mount one of it too? Maybe we can get one from that.
There was an early datamined rep for one back when alpha first started, but I'm pretty sure the mount models for it were exactly the same as the rep rewards. Combined with not seeing or hearing anything of that rep since its initial datamine, and I'd say it probably doesn't exist anymore.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:23 PM

Arch-Druid

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 05-02-2018, 03:53 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Well least it seems I'm not really missing anything of value not really looking at SoL anymore.
Same.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:32 AM

Arch-Druid

I'm disgusted by what they're doing with shandris !!
Old 05-02-2018, 06:37 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhllor View Post
Why?

I like that she's doing something at last. She never did anything in-game until now. And it even seems that Blizzard is trying to promote her, by stating her past achievements. Her interaction with the tortollan seems fun.

Her role in these quests already seems more interesting to me than Alleria's.

Why are people so upset that she's interacting with Keeshan?

Last edited by Deicide; 05-02-2018 at 06:41 AM..
Old 05-02-2018, 07:02 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
Why?

I like that she's doing something at last. She never did anything in-game until now. And it even seems that Blizzard is trying to promote her, by stating her past achievements. Her interaction with the tortollan seems fun.

Her role in these quests already seems more interesting to me than Alleria's.

Why are people so upset that she's interacting with Keeshan?
because it sucks
it's a very annoying stereotype
Old 05-02-2018, 07:10 AM

Elune

Quote:
because it sucks
Seems the future is half-elves, every elf female is into humans
Old 05-02-2018, 07:15 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Seems the future is half-elves, every elf female is into humans
Is self-insertion of the writers because they do not write about a human woman in love with a draenei man?
Old 05-02-2018, 07:18 AM

Arch-Druid

Is the datamined dialogue between Halford Wyrmbane and Mathias Shaw a clue they are having gay sex? No, it's not.

Shandris and Keeshan interacting does not mean romantic relationship, just respect for past achievements.

Blizzard seems to be pairing a lot of named characters so they interact during BfA, and that's nice.

And yay for Alliance camaraderie and its non-racist elves.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:27 AM

Treant

Quote:
because it sucks
I actually quite liked it, it is rare these days in warcraft to have the interactions between characters take into account the racial and cultural differences. It also shows character growth for the Night Elves and Alliance chemistry that is miles better compared to the travesty in MoP between Tyrande and Varian.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:38 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Is self-insertion of the writers because they do not write about a human woman in love with a draenei man?
Dude, she just said he was a good soldier, after having him say she's a better soldier.

Turn off your shipper brain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:12 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Night Elf Icon (War3)

Quote:
Why? Night elves aren't your standard haughty elves who believe themselves to be above humans, like most high/blood elves were.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:55 AM

Arch-Druid

If the San'layn join the horde, I hope the red blade (vampyr human) can be join the alliance

Old 05-02-2018, 10:20 AM

Sha of Disappointment

I feel like giving me a Beta invite was a bit of a waste but at least it lets me experience the GCD-changes early. I reject them completely, utterly and entirely. I could live with them if they at least let me bound spells into macros but my Thunder Clap / Demo Shout macro will no longer be useable. So instead of giving us new and exciting options they just fuck up the ones we have, and i have no idea what Avatar is doing being baseline for Prot Warriors. I already have carpal tunnel i don't need five new keys to smash every fifteen seconds. Speaking of which, whose idea was it to cut the amount of action bar keys? They're already full as fuck, anyone know if there's a way to return that to normal?
Old 05-02-2018, 11:49 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
I feel like giving me a Beta invite was a bit of a waste but at least it lets me experience the GCD-changes early. I reject them completely, utterly and entirely. I could live with them if they at least let me bound spells into macros but my Thunder Clap / Demo Shout macro will no longer be useable. So instead of giving us new and exciting options they just fuck up the ones we have, and i have no idea what Avatar is doing being baseline for Prot Warriors. I already have carpal tunnel i don't need five new keys to smash every fifteen seconds. Speaking of which, whose idea was it to cut the amount of action bar keys? They're already full as fuck, anyone know if there's a way to return that to normal?
Make a /castsequence Thunder Clap, Demoralizing Shout

Alternative: Gnome Sequencer Enhanced
Old 05-02-2018, 11:59 AM

Sha of Disappointment

edit: actually, nevermind, it cocks up with longer cooldowns. might be useful with similarly cd'd ones, though. I'll fiddle around with it.

Last edited by Commander Rotal; 05-02-2018 at 12:05 PM..
Old 05-02-2018, 01:03 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
I know this went down the ship road, but if I could add on to this... two points.

The "potential of humans" line invokes shades of faction homogenization, and suggests that the Night Elves are holding humans up, on an individual basis, to be superior to them, like they are a sort of secret weapon. You can read it otherwise, but in an environment where many if not most Night Elf fans are justifiably paranoid about being subsumed into a human dominated narrative, nixing this line should be a no-brainer.

Her comment that humans and elves are equal I suppose is better by comparison but it's still a strange thing to include, especially when the playable race that has been made to feel inferior by years of writing decisions intended to do that isn't humans, but Night Elves. This line should be nixed too.

This dialogue has Golden's fingerprints all over it. So with that in mind, new rule: before being allowed to write any piece of night elf content, Christie Golden must explain why Night Elf fans would actually want to play it.

Last edited by Kyalin V. Raintree; 05-02-2018 at 01:13 PM..
Old 05-02-2018, 01:44 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin V. Raintree View Post
The "potential of humans" line invokes shades of faction homogenization, and suggests that the Night Elves are holding humans up, on an individual basis, to be superior to them, like they are a sort of secret weapon. You can read it otherwise, but in an environment where many if not most Night Elf fans are justifiably paranoid about being subsumed into a human dominated narrative, nixing this line should be a no-brainer.
What? Potential is what one can achieve but hasn't achieved. To me, it's the exact opposite: it's the long-lived, experienced race seeing a younger race as capable of rising above its limitations. It's like a parent trying to make a child grow up good to achieve its potential.

Quote:
Her comment that humans and elves are equal I suppose is better by comparison but it's still a strange thing to include, especially when the playable race that has been made to feel inferior by years of writing decisions intended to do that isn't humans, but Night Elves. This line should be nixed too.
Look at the context of the scene. Shandris is facing two undead blood elves (the Prince and the Dark Ranger). The Dark Ranger belittles Shandris for being allied with a human.

Shandris, on the other hand, replies that humans have great potential (i.e.: they can rise up to elven standards).

When Keeshan ends up being the sole survivor of the group (the others seem to all be elves), he laments and says that any other would be more worthy than him. Then Shandris replies that elves and humans are equal in value.

The entire scene is about humans being bellow elves. One elf (the dark one) thinks humans are a terrible thing. The other (Shandris) sees the potential in humans and defends them. By the end, Shandris shows she sees humans as equals. Or, in other words, as worthy companions.

To me, it's a nice scene. It's about an elf not being an ass and seeing the good things in humanity. Which is why I'm extra happy that Keeshan was chosen to be feature in that, since the human in question is a sociopath that does not see himself as worthy of anything.

Quote:
This dialogue has Golden's fingerprints all over it. So with that in mind, new rule: before being allowed to write any piece of night elf content, Christie Golden must explain why Night Elf fans would actually want to play it.
I really disagree. This dialogue is the first thing with great potential that I'm looking forward in the war campaign, and really makes Shandris stand out in my eyes. I always thought that SHE should be Supreme Commander of the Alliance army, so having her treating Keeshan well is a plus in my eyes. I hope the quests and events enhance it even further.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:57 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Lyvef1re#1109

I'm honestly flabbergasted Blizzard doesn't seem to be aware how giving the one Night Elf who hasn't been consistently poorly written or devolved to a human sidekick, lines about how wonderful humans are might be seen very poorly....

Seriously, Keeshan has plenty of admirable attributes that aren't a fucking factional minefield. This isn't fucking hard.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:24 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Darkmoon Card: Portals

@Deicide

It occurs to me, reading what you wrote, that I was too kind to the problem. The entire scenario is the issue. The decision to contrive a scenario for Shandris to validate humans is the issue. The only thing that separates it in my mind from "A Little Patience" is that the Night Elf being used for nothing other than to make humans feel better this time is already on board with it and hopefully doesn't have a grating accent.

Meanwhile, complaints of faction homogenization have been with us for years, as has the railing against content designed to make Night Elves look incompetent, and BfA has already made a lot of that worse.

I don't want to see Night Elves spitting on humans or calling for separatism. I do want them standing on their own two feet as a playable race rather than being seen as being dependent on or inferior to another. This scenario does the opposite. It may not have intended that, and if we weren't coming off of eight years of nearly uninterrupted content that was designed to make Night Elf fans feel awful about the race they chose to play, it might be different, but we are.

Last edited by Kyalin V. Raintree; 05-02-2018 at 02:47 PM..
Old 05-02-2018, 03:19 PM

Arch-Druid

!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
What? Potential is what one can achieve but hasn't achieved. To me, it's the exact opposite: it's the long-lived, experienced race seeing a younger race as capable of rising above its limitations. It's like a parent trying to make a child grow up good to achieve its potential.

Look at the context of the scene. Shandris is facing two undead blood elves (the Prince and the Dark Ranger). The Dark Ranger belittles Shandris for being allied with a human.

Shandris, on the other hand, replies that humans have great potential (i.e.: they can rise up to elven standards).

When Keeshan ends up being the sole survivor of the group (the others seem to all be elves), he laments and says that any other would be more worthy than him. Then Shandris replies that elves and humans are equal in value.

The entire scene is about humans being bellow elves. One elf (the dark one) thinks humans are a terrible thing. The other (Shandris) sees the potential in humans and defends them. By the end, Shandris shows she sees humans as equals. Or, in other words, as worthy companions.

To me, it's a nice scene. It's about an elf not being an ass and seeing the good things in humanity. Which is why I'm extra happy that Keeshan was chosen to be feature in that, since the human in question is a sociopath that does not see himself as worthy of anything.

I really disagree. This dialogue is the first thing with great potential that I'm looking forward in the war campaign, and really makes Shandris stand out in my eyes. I always thought that SHE should be Supreme Commander of the Alliance army, so having her treating Keeshan well is a plus in my eyes. I hope the quests and events enhance it even further.
I had forgotten about that point! Three night elves die but the super human leaves safe and sound

Last edited by Rhllor; 05-02-2018 at 03:22 PM..
Old 05-02-2018, 11:13 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Night Elf Icon (War3)

Considering whom they are working with, neither of those undead elves should even be criticising Shandris for associating with humans (and the other Alliance races).

I agree completely with Deicide and have absolutely no issues with her responses. However, what I have issues with is that she was even put in this situation, and on that, it seems, I agree with Kyalin.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:28 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin V. Raintree View Post
@Deicide

It occurs to me, reading what you wrote, that I was too kind to the problem. The entire scenario is the issue. The decision to contrive a scenario for Shandris to validate humans is the issue. The only thing that separates it in my mind from "A Little Patience" is that the Night Elf being used for nothing other than to make humans feel better this time is already on board with it and hopefully doesn't have a grating accent.

Meanwhile, complaints of faction homogenization have been with us for years, as has the railing against content designed to make Night Elves look incompetent, and BfA has already made a lot of that worse.

I don't want to see Night Elves spitting on humans or calling for separatism. I do want them standing on their own two feet as a playable race rather than being seen as being dependent on or inferior to another. This scenario does the opposite. It may not have intended that, and if we weren't coming off of eight years of nearly uninterrupted content that was designed to make Night Elf fans feel awful about the race they chose to play, it might be different, but we are.
I am usually with you on most topics Kyalin but I think you are going overboard here. Kishan literally says that he thinks Shandris is better and more valuable than him in every way to which Shandris says he is alright too. They are just affirming respect for each other and it's ok unless they try to have them have some contrived romance.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:57 AM

Eternal

To me it's just the line itself that sounds corny and gives off a dumb 'humans are the chosen ones' vibe. And even that's more because overall that's how Blizzard seems to have viewed things since Warcraft started.

ffs I'm the only one who cares aren't I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
And that is the Drama to being part of the Horde. There are people out there who want you dead. You honestly can’t blame them. Do you lie down and die for them? No. You enjoy the challenge. You keep your head up and move forward.

Tags
alliance whining, azeroth literally dying, battle for azeroth, for the whored, gilgoblins, mop 2.0 sucks, mop sucks, more like cata 2.0 sucks, quilboar bias, world of warcraft