Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 06-05-2018, 09:04 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacofonix View Post
If being iconic prevented character removal than Arthas and Kael'thas would have never died. Alleria's hardly iconic anyway considering how her only appearences before recently have been a WC2 expansion pack with a novel version of that expansion pack.
Alleria has barely been reintroduced, however. And she just got a "new" race "based" on her that really needs development. It's not like Arthas or Kael'thas were offed by the end of their respective WC3 campaigns.

I really doubt they introduced Alleria with the "I control the Void" twist, just to make her lose control of the Void and turn villainous in the very next storyline.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 06-05-2018, 09:16 PM

Ranger

I mean, not even being a faction leader with no other living Troll characters being as notable saved Vol'jin from kicking the bucket.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:32 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacofonix View Post
I mean, not even being a faction leader with no other living Troll characters being as notable saved Vol'jin from kicking the bucket.
Vol'jin didn't end up as a raid boss, and his story is still being told even beyond the grave. I wouldn't doubt him becoming the "Loa of the Horde" or the substitute of Rezan in Zandalar.

Both Garrosh and Sylvanas were built up as villains over time. Nathanos, too. Alleria isn't. Pulling the void card to justify it without a proper long build up would feel forced.

Last edited by Deicide; 06-06-2018 at 04:34 AM..
Old 06-06-2018, 07:25 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Vol'jin is certainly becoming Loa of the Horde, given that he's been ritualistically worshipped nonstop from the instant he died. I can see him attaining an orisha ascension of sorts.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:13 AM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Alleria could just as easily go mad, turn Raid Boss, and we save her. We don’t kill all our Raid Bosses. Of course, I don’t want to see Arator go down, and that would be Alleria’s trigger point.

A huge fight between the Sisters, with poor not Dark Magic empowered Vareesa caught in the middle, could be an interesting fight. We attack the Dark Ranger of the opposite faction, and the goal is to knock that one down before ours goes down. Both will channel increasingly dangerous amounts of Dark Magic, possessing us from time to time, lots of collateral damage, friendly fire etc. Not necessarily looking at a fatality at the end, but not ruling it out either.

Last edited by Menel'dirion; 06-06-2018 at 08:40 AM..
Old 06-06-2018, 09:56 AM

Faerie Dragon
Send a message via MSN to Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
I'm wondering if we will see updates to the already released allied races in prepatch...

We have had a lack of new art assets (models, mounts and even for the new allied races) for quite some time, so I hope the art team is working on improving the four initial allied races. All of them were very rushed in order to get released with the preorder. None requires a ton of work, so I hope some improvements are being done to them.
The best improvement they can do with them is to remove those from the game.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:09 AM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
The best improvement they can do with them is to remove those from the game.
Yeah, cause removing people’s characters from game, after many have already been leveled to max/boosted/race-changed will go over so well.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:12 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Blizzard is going to have a WoW lore panel at E3, hosted by Steven Danuser, Terran Gregory, and Christie Golden.

Join members of the World of Warcraft team as they break down the tricks to bringing the World of Warcraft universe alive through story. From books, to video, to in-game storytelling, the rich narrative of WoW unfolds for fans across multiple forms of media as the team expands on the personalities that fans have come to care about. Whether you are for the Alliance, or for the Horde, stop by to get insight on the story that is still wowing people even after 14 years.

Interesting choice, I didn't think E3 was that kind of convention where the attendees would care. Then again they did start being open to the public these past few years.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:35 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
Blizzard is going to have a WoW lore panel at E3, hosted by Steven Danuser, Terran Gregory, and Christie Golden.

Join members of the World of Warcraft team as they break down the tricks to bringing the World of Warcraft universe alive through story. From books, to video, to in-game storytelling, the rich narrative of WoW unfolds for fans across multiple forms of media as the team expands on the personalities that fans have come to care about. Whether you are for the Alliance, or for the Horde, stop by to get insight on the story that is still wowing people even after 14 years.

Interesting choice, I didn't think E3 was that kind of convention where the attendees would care. Then again they did start being open to the public these past few years.
Seems like Blizz stopped going doing E3 a decade ago...... Maybe they feel like putting in the effort again.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:24 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
Seems like Blizz stopped going doing E3 a decade ago...... Maybe they feel like putting in the effort again.
Which is an interesting statement by itself.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:37 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ganishka #1520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
I don't see crazy Alleria ever happening because it would be counter to all of her development in 7.3 about how you can use the Void and not be a babbling insane person. It'd make Mac'Aree and the audio drama pointless.
I don't see it as completely unlikely. They do seem to like to mention Arator being her "anchor" a lot. The audio drama really, really stressed how much Alleria loves Arator, and how he was her main motivation for continuing to fight against the Burning Legion. The ending seemed to cement this, with the Void trying to show her visions of her killing her son, and that being the thing that taught how to see past the Void's half-truths, as well as her hatred of the Eredar assassin who knew her son's name and was a threat to his life.

Then there's that whole "At the hour of her third death, she will usher in our coming." thing. Since Alleria's first two "deaths" were "when we were presumed lost on Draenor, and again when gripped by the shadow of the fallen naaru.", the "third death" would have to be something utterly mind-breakingly horrible. And since Alleria constantly talks about her son and how her love of him helped her survive for a thousands years just to get back to him, only for him to die, would shatter her mind. Nothing is more painful to a parent than losing a child, especially a mother who loves her son so completely as Alleria does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Baras
A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowordfun
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.

Last edited by Ganishka; 06-06-2018 at 11:55 PM..
Old 06-07-2018, 07:54 AM

Arch-Druid

If we are delving into full speculation mode, maybe Alliance does invade Quel'thalas near the end of the expansion. Something happens and Alleria loses control, having her "third death". Void-possessed Alleria corrupts the Sunwell, which explodes, transforming half the population of Quel'thalas into void elves, and the last raid is a Sunwell Plateau 2: Now against the Void.

Then next expansion is a sort of "WoW 2", with new versions of EK and Kalimdor, completely changed by the events of BfA.

Yeah.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:25 AM

Faerie Dragon
Send a message via MSN to Hades

The new comic showed a very relevant thing, how the void voices are afraid of some death Lords who sylvanas serve. Seems the death faction is going to win spotlight in the future.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:44 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

*Shadowlands Intensifies*

Also, remember that the vrykul in Northrend joined the Scourge because they thought the Lich King was their "Death God." What if that was an actual entity (assuming it's not just Helya though it would be kind of weird to mistake her for Arthas, especially with kvaldir around in Northrend)? It would further explain the undead's hatred of self-proclaimed God of Death Yogg-Saron.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:09 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
The new comic showed a very relevant thing, how the void voices are afraid of some death Lords who sylvanas serve. Seems the death faction is going to win spotlight in the future.
My take on that is that Shadow strives for ultimate unrestrained amoral freedom, and Light tries to cement the ultimate united moral order. One follows infinite roads, the other seeks the one true path.

But Death is no path at all. Death is stagnation, the end of growth, the destruction of potential.

That does not mean there are "Death Lords" or things like that oppose the Void Lords. It's just that, by its very nature, Void fears Death.

Last edited by Deicide; 06-07-2018 at 09:14 AM..
Old 06-07-2018, 10:16 AM

Eternal

Undead Icon (War3)

I think it depends on whether or not the Shadowlands is more than the place we’ve been running around in order to respawn.

If there is more to it, whether she lives or dies Sylvanas could lead us there for an expansion. Meeting some old friends like Lothar, Varian, maybe even Tyr. Maybe Thrall could finally reconnect his people to their ancestors, talk to real dad, Durotan as well as Ogrim, Grom, Drek’thar (is he dead yet?).

I don’t know anything about a “Death Lord” tho it’s worth noting that not all the Troll Loas are Wild Gods. If the Wild Gods are spirits of life, it would stand to reason there are spirits of Death as well.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:21 AM

Loremaster

I think people might be overlooking an obvious reason the Void would despise Sylvanas and what she represents. Because she doesn't really serve Death. Death is natural. Death is supposed to happen as part of the universal cycle that allows for new Life. Her actions serve neither. Her actions serve undeath.

And if the world becomes undead, then nothing will truly die any more, meaning it's all denied to the Void. Which could explain the animosity between the Scourge and Yogg-Saron, and why the voices from the Void seemed to freak out about Sylvanas in particular. In he universe as it's meant to be even Light and Life ultimately must yield to Void and Death, and vice-versa, but undeath in many ways directly opposes both because it perpetually halts the necessary cycle between the two. If the Scourge or Sylvanas were to spread undeath across the face of Azeroth and claim everything, than neither the forces of Light nor Void could prevail there.

It's not too hard to imagine that even moreso than the Light it's fought since the beginning, the Void's denizens might consider an even greater enemy to be the threat of themselves and the Light's champions both being rendered irrelevant. After all, the Light technically facilitates the existence of Void just as Void facilitates Light, but undeath by its very nature prevents either one from doing what it's supposed to do.

Last edited by ARM3481; 06-07-2018 at 10:33 AM..
Old 06-07-2018, 11:15 AM

Troubadour

I'm very happy with this

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/...page=2#post-33

If only they could bring 2h Frost and keep Cold Heart for BFA, then it would be perfect.

Also Frostwyrm and Frostscythe on separate rows.

Quote:
I don’t know anything about a “Death Lord” tho it’s worth noting that not all the Troll Loas are Wild Gods. If the Wild Gods are spirits of life, it would stand to reason there are spirits of Death as well.
Loa are worshipped entities.

Last edited by Krainz; 06-07-2018 at 11:18 AM..
Old 06-07-2018, 11:34 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
I think people might be overlooking an obvious reason the Void would despise Sylvanas and what she represents. Because she doesn't really serve Death. Death is natural. Death is supposed to happen as part of the universal cycle that allows for new Life. Her actions serve neither. Her actions serve undeath.

And if the world becomes undead, then nothing will truly die any more, meaning it's all denied to the Void. Which could explain the animosity between the Scourge and Yogg-Saron, and why the voices from the Void seemed to freak out about Sylvanas in particular. In he universe as it's meant to be even Light and Life ultimately must yield to Void and Death, and vice-versa, but undeath in many ways directly opposes both because it perpetually halts the necessary cycle between the two. If the Scourge or Sylvanas were to spread undeath across the face of Azeroth and claim everything, than neither the forces of Light nor Void could prevail there.

It's not too hard to imagine that even moreso than the Light it's fought since the beginning, the Void's denizens might consider an even greater enemy to be the threat of themselves and the Light's champions both being rendered irrelevant. After all, the Light technically facilitates the existence of Void just as Void facilitates Light, but undeath by its very nature prevents either one from doing what it's supposed to do.
It’s a good point, and would explain the rivalry between the Lich King and Yogg Saron as well.

Still, I do wonder where Troll Death Loas fit into this. Do Loa like Bwomsamdi preserve souls from the Void? Ku’re was the reason Orcish Shamans could commune with their ancestors, but when Ku’re went dark he devoured their souls. There’s a fair number of instances of void oriented entities eating souls. On the other hand when facing death, Sylvanas and Arthas saw “only Darkness.” Sylvanas defied the Void by cheating death multiple times. Maybe, the Loa think she can help them fight back the Void in the Shadowlands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post

Loa are worshipped entities.
Obviously, but equally obvious is that some of them come from classes of being that we do not know or understand yet. Bwomsamdi? Hakkar the Soulflayer? How does Vol’jin end up as an actual Loa? Ones like Hireek are designated as Wild Gods, spirits of life. But there’s a significant number of Death oriented Loa, and I wonder if they piss off the Void the way Sylvanas does.

Last edited by Menel'dirion; 06-07-2018 at 11:41 AM..
Old 06-07-2018, 03:00 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

So it looks like night elves are getting heritage armor maybe:

Seems to be a one to one translation of the armor the night elf in the original WoW cinematic used.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:21 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
So it looks like night elves are getting heritage armor maybe:

Seems to be a one to one translation of the armor the night elf in the original WoW cinematic used.
I don't like it.

I mean, I love the idea, but the gear itself feels bland. I think the problem are the colors, they make your character seem naked from afar. Maybe they should be gold/purple so they are more easily noticiable?

I understand that it is an homage to the Vanilla cinematic, but art in a cinematic don't look so nice in-game, where everything around you is bright and colorful. That gear feels out of place, clashing with the rest of the world.

Compare Huntress Kasparian. IMO, it's way better (talking about the colors, not the gear itself).

https://wow.zamimg.com/uploads/scree...mal/602652.jpg

Also, don't count it as heritage armor yet. It lacks a headpiece, and may just be NPC gear, at least for now.

Last edited by Deicide; 06-07-2018 at 03:39 PM..
Old 06-07-2018, 03:37 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
Also, don't count it as heritage armor yet. It lacks a headpiece, and may just be NPC gear, at least for now.
I just don't see why they'd add a new set of NPC armor based on one of the night elves most iconic outfits when the night elves have virtually no role or appearance in the expansion post Teldrassil/Lordaeron content (so far there's just Shandris in the war campaign and a single night elf camp in Vol'dun that has a flight master and no other NPCs).

I agree though that something needs to be done about the color. It looks kind of creepy right now.

Also, I think Kyralin will be happy about this!

Old 06-07-2018, 03:58 PM

Elune

Quote:
Jeremy Feasel has confirmed that Havenswood (the Gilnean island expedition shown off a Blizzcon) has been scrapped. It ended up being "too complicated," but there is a possibility it might return in some form as patch content.

https://twitter.com/Muffinus/status/1002764369690628096
God, what is it with Gilnean stuff? The Gilnean quarter, this...ugh. Pity.

Anyway, seems they changed some of the achievement mount rewards. Spectral phoenix is now one of those Broken Isle unicorn dreamrunner things. I was kinda baffled by the spectral phoenix anyway, what I saw of it it looked almost identical to the dark/shadow phoenix guild mount.

And the red stone sky stallion thing is now a fel green version of the fire bird mount (the one that you can get from Alysrazor).
Old 06-07-2018, 04:59 PM

Troubadour

Quote:
Obviously, but equally obvious is that some of them come from classes of being that we do not know or understand yet. Bwomsamdi? Hakkar the Soulflayer? How does Vol’jin end up as an actual Loa? Ones like Hireek are designated as Wild Gods, spirits of life. But there’s a significant number of Death oriented Loa, and I wonder if they piss off the Void the way Sylvanas does.
As all Loa should, they probably ascended through worshipping.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:33 PM

Arch-Druid

This was posted in the discord, and I think it's originally from the story forum. Arathi Highlands open world update: https://imgur.com/a/IkQ7L3x

Tags
alliance whining, azeroth literally dying, battle for azeroth, for the whored, gilgoblins, mop 2.0 sucks, mop sucks, more like cata 2.0 sucks, quilboar bias, world of warcraft