Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 12-02-2017, 04:01 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mending View Post
Like what?
the void elves studied forbidden magic even when rommath told them to stop, they follow the teachings of darkhan !! and its magic put in danger to the sunwell, alleria almost destroys the sunwell! Lorthemar let her go but she was rude and says goodbye with a threat that she will return even though her only presence could destroy the sunwell !!

never a mutant of the void can put a single tentacle in quelthalas !! The sunwell must be protected!
Old 12-02-2017, 04:02 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster View Post
That's like 5 people.
We all know that they will be many more than 5 people many many more!
Old 12-02-2017, 04:25 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Elf, please.

But more importantly, please don't double post.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:21 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakhed View Post
Honestly, who the fuck knows by now? Why is Sylvanas Warchief? Does she actually have that many Horde fans? I'm a Forsaken fan, and I know she sure as hell shouldn't be Warchief unless you decide that's the kind of leader the Horde needs. A fraud.

When it comes to the Forsaken, it's pretty obvious Sylvanas doesn't really care about them. But pretending to care about them fulfills all of their needs. Her bullshit gives them a sense of purpose and a feeling of acceptance, even though it's been shown she generally sees them all as disgusting and pathetic. But as long as she's forced to pretend and cater to them like that, it's almost as good as if she actually does care.
Sylvanas has a lot of fans.

If being a fan means that said character you're a fan of needs to be concerned about your own character, then I really believe you are in need of some sorts of counseling.

"Sylvanas doesn't care about you Hordies and yet you all have your dicks hard when she screams for the horde!!!"

I don't give a damn whether she cares or not about my Horde toons. Even so because that's a concern that would never really matter. It's pointless. Also showing too much self-insertion in a fictional story.

Also, like I (and many others) have said, she's proven to be a quite formidable conqueror, on par with Blackhand and Doomhammer. As a Horde fan, she is sure showing that she deserves the mantle, at least to me.

"But she's a Mary Sue and has plot armor!!!"

Thrall was just as big of a Sue and today people talk about him in so many great ways. I mean, wake up sheeple.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:06 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post

If being a fan means that said character you're a fan of needs to be concerned about your own character, then I really believe you are in need of some sorts of counseling.

"Sylvanas doesn't care about you Hordies and yet you all have your dicks hard when she screams for the horde!!!"

I don't give a damn whether she cares or not about my Horde toons. Even so because that's a concern that would never really matter. It's pointless. Also showing too much self-insertion in a fictional story.

Also, like I (and many others) have said, she's proven to be a quite formidable conqueror, on par with Blackhand and Doomhammer. As a Horde fan, she is sure showing that she deserves the mantle, at least to me.

Thrall was just as big of a Sue and today people talk about him in so many great ways. I mean, wake up sheeple.
Everybody hates Thrall, so that argument is invalid.

Also, not caring about PCs isn't the problem. The problem is a Warchief that doesn't care about her actual subjects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:23 PM

Keeper of the Grove
BattleTag: MelosEgo#1512

I find it absurd that people like Saurfang are just willingly going along with Sylvanas. That is going beyond Mary Suedom - That's like, Godess-Empress at that point, which I am pretty sure will happen in the lifetime of Battle for Azeroth.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:38 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melorandor View Post
I find it absurd that people like Saurfang are just willingly going along with Sylvanas. That is going beyond Mary Suedom - That's like, Godess-Empress at that point, which I am pretty sure will happen in the lifetime of Battle for Azeroth.
I don’t think Saurfang is opposed to the war, just needless killing. We still don’t know how he’s going to work with Sylvanas in the novel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:42 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:

Not even what I'm talking about. Sylvanas is a good leader for the Forsaken, because the Forsaken are opportunistic sociopaths for a large part. kick a puppy. Use human hosts to farm spider eggs. should we rescue this human or bash his skull in with a shovel? Maybe mix it up a bit? These are all morally equivalent choices in the Forsaken experience. It's the same quest reward either way.

But that's the Forsaken. As a fan of the Forsaken, I appreciate Sylvanas. As a fan of the Horde, I realize she's a poor fit. Perhaps she's a formidable conqueror. Is that all the Horde should value? Are we reducing the Horde to that one metric, as what should represent its values above all else?

Then fuck it. If we're going to claim ourselves as outcasts and underdogs, we may as well rename the whole faction to the Forsaken and crown Sylvanas as our Queen. We don't need the lessons the Orcs should have learned from their past. We don't need whatever ideals they supposedly shared with Trolls and Tauren.

Let us cast off everything and simply accept the reality. We are all just a merry band of psychopaths working together because we are stronger together. Our common cause is power. None of us have any illusions about where we stand with one another or with our Queen, but we keep up the masquerade knowing what its purpose is and will always be.

We are the Forsaken, and we will slaughter anyone who stands in our way.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:10 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Have you read the prologue of Before the Storm?

Saurfang is in permanent if you misstep even a bit ill cleave you in tiny pieces.

Something must happen in the novel that will make Saurfang approve of this war.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:24 PM

Troubadour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Everybody hates Thrall
Not what I usually see around SoL.

Quote:
Also, not caring about PCs isn't the problem. The problem is a Warchief that doesn't care about her actual subjects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Is it not?
Old 12-02-2017, 03:01 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Grunt

Quote:
Not what I usually see around SoL.
Are you serious, mate? Literally everybody on this site hates Thrall.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-02-2017, 03:18 PM

Troubadour

Quote:
Are you serious, mate? Literally everybody on this site hates Thrall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
And even then it will be hard to topple Thrall. He started with a single small orc clan and, when he retired, the Horde was at its peak, with orcs freed and restored, an orc nation, shamanism restored, trolls, tauren, Forsaken, blood elves. Even goblins, while joining during Garrosh's reign, were added thanks to Thrall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
If Vol'jin isn't coming back then Thrall really is the best outcome. I'd say Lor'themar but it doesn't feel right having the Warchief be from the EK Horde.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexander View Post
I hate to say it, but I hope Thrall ends up Warchief by the end of the expansion. Golden always did good work with him, right? I bet she could write him as a Good Warchief for the Horde again. Much like she seems to be working on redeeming Jaina. Or at least saving her, since she really doesn't need redemption so much as help.

These guys apparently don't.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:23 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
These guys apparently don't.
Well, they're wrong. And if you think it's okay for a Mary Sue to be warchief, then you're wrong too.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-02-2017, 03:25 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Me, 2015:

Me, 2018:

Why does this always happen? Is the Horde just a phase that people grow out of?
Old 12-02-2017, 03:41 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagrid View Post
Why does this always happen? Is the Horde just a phase that people grow out of?
I don't think Dwarfs grow out of anything.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:04 PM

Keeper of the Grove
BattleTag: MelosEgo#1512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
Have you read the prologue of Before the Storm?

Saurfang is in permanent if you misstep even a bit ill cleave you in tiny pieces.

Something must happen in the novel that will make Saurfang approve of this war.
I did. I am hoping we get more insight leading into BfA. Doesn't make it all the less weird of whats going on between Saurfang and Sylvanas. If anything; I'd like to see Eitrigg, Saurfang and Baine stand up and openly challenge Sylvanas. The former two more so.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:11 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
I did. I am hoping we get more insight leading into BfA. Doesn't make it all the less weird of whats going on between Saurfang and Sylvanas. If anything; I'd like to see Eitrigg, Saurfang and Baine stand up and openly challenge Sylvanas. The former two more so.
You can hope. I still think we're getting this!

Couldn't not... couldn't not... couldn't not... couldn't not!

(In all seriousness, I think that Horde players have a right to be pissed that they're probably going to be cast as villains again purely because that's easier for Blizzard to write... I can't not laugh at this stuff though.)
Old 12-02-2017, 06:30 PM

Echo of the Past

(looks at thread title)

1) Warchief Sylvanas is evil and ruining the Horde.
2) Sylvanas came from the Alliance.
3) Hence, the Alliance has actively infiltrated the Horde and is sabotaging it to this very day.

What's not to loathe?
Old 12-02-2017, 06:34 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
(looks at thread title)

3) Hence, the Alliance has actively infiltrated the Horde and is sabotaging it to this very day.

What's not to loathe?
I find this argument quite compelling.

The Horde is fighting the Alliance in an attempt to force the Alliance to take back their awful warchief.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-02-2017, 08:03 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin V. Raintree View Post
Couldn't not... couldn't not... couldn't not... couldn't not!

(clicky clicky)

Edit: One more. WTF this is too easy.

Last edited by Hagrid; 12-02-2017 at 08:15 PM..
Old 12-02-2017, 08:19 PM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhllor View Post
the void elves studied forbidden magic even when rommath told them to stop, they follow the teachings of darkhan !! and its magic put in danger to the sunwell, alleria almost destroys the sunwell! Lorthemar let her go but she was rude and says goodbye with a threat that she will return even though her only presence could destroy the sunwell !!

never a mutant of the void can put a single tentacle in quelthalas !! The sunwell must be protected!
...Your avatar and sig have demon hunters on them. Are you not seeing the hypocrisy here?
Old 12-03-2017, 02:41 AM

Troubadour

Quote:
(looks at thread title)

What's not to loathe?
Ruining? How? By conquering more masses of land than Vol'jin or Garrosh ever did?
Old 12-03-2017, 06:01 AM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Well, they're wrong. And if you think it's okay for a Mary Sue to be warchief, then you're wrong too.
Not to defend Thrall, but... Who else is there, really?
Old 12-03-2017, 08:47 AM

Troubadour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagrid View Post
Not to defend Thrall, but... Who else is there, really?
Vol'Jin was the best warchief we never had.

Shadow Hunter, Monk, rebel leader.

I also hate that Battlefield Barrens content was removed. I never got to see the guy growing as a character.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:04 AM

Warden

Old wounds, cyclical hatred, us vs. them mentality, bla bla bla. There are plenty of logical reasons for members of the Horde to fight representatives of the Alliance, but there isn't much reasonable justification for the majority, much less entire nations.

Regarding the Sylvanas controversy - as if anything concerning her isn't - her status as Warchief is hardly surprising, neither is the Horde's willingness to accept her authority despite history suggesting otherwise. She's been building a cult of personality since Frozen Throne, and it's been so successful that "Forsaken" is now synonymous with Sylvanas. Her significance has become so arbitrarily bloated it overshadows any alternative personalities within the Forsaken, to the point that the only undead who become noteworthy are either attached to her hip, if not deeper, such as Nathanos, or outright opposing her, like Putress. Becoming Warchief is just the next step in completely redirecting any attention within Warcraft entirely.

I mean, at this point, we can't have a thread about the Horde without bringing her up. For better or worse - which should be painfully obvious - Sylvanas'/Blizzard's scheme is working.

In the end, we all worship the Dark Lady.

Last edited by Apep; 12-03-2017 at 09:08 AM..

Tags
alliance, critical thinking, horde, sylvanas, world of warcraft