Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 09-06-2012, 02:18 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
I think it's just a mistake to try to understand things like the Old Gods. Kinda like trying to understand the things they're based on.
The trouble is that, going by the default view, they're painfully easy to understand.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:24 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilizhra View Post
The trouble is that, going by the default view, they're painfully easy to understand.
Well you're weird already so maybe weird people can understand weird things.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:28 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
I think it's just a mistake to try to understand things like the Old Gods. Kinda like trying to understand the things they're based on.
It might be a mistake but it's fun and has a lot of potential. A lot of them just don't seem to be the sorts who want to just destroy Azeroth, they really have very little to gain from it. I imagine the Old Gods constantly striving for dominance and the achievement of their goals with those Old Gods with contrasting intentions serving to keep them in check.

Essentially this all results in eternal warfare as they might all be set up in such a way that no one Old God ever gets the upperhand.

I base this idea off of how the End Times contrasts with pre-imprisonment Azeroth. They're very different, but what makes them that way?

Well it seems rather obvious, the End Times were the result of a singular Old Gods return not the return of them all. It seems that the presence of all the Old Gods prevents any of them from successfully ending all life on Azeroth at the very least.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:30 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakhed View Post
It might be a mistake but it's fun and has a lot of potential. A lot of them just don't seem to be the sorts who want to just destroy Azeroth, they really have very little to gain from it. I imagine the Old Gods constantly striving for dominance and the achievement of their goals with those Old Gods with contrasting intentions serving to keep them in check.

Essentially this all results in eternal warfare as they might all be set up in such a way that no one Old God ever gets the upperhand.

I base this idea off of how the End Times contrasts with pre-imprisonment Azeroth. They're very different, but what makes them that way?

Well it seems rather obvious, the End Times were the result of a singular Old Gods return not the return of them all. It seems that the presence of all the Old Gods prevents any of them from successfully ending all life on Azeroth at the very least.
Eh I'd imagine Azeroth would look the same regardless of what one it was though maybe they all had their own domain that they'd kinda cover with how their area would slightly differ. I kinda took End Time to also be how Azeroth looked after Deathwing cast the final Cataclysm as well and not entirely just the Old God (even if it was with said Old Gods power that he had that ability most likely).
Old 09-06-2012, 03:07 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Eh I'd imagine Azeroth would look the same regardless of what one it was though maybe they all had their own domain that they'd kinda cover with how their area would slightly differ. I kinda took End Time to also be how Azeroth looked after Deathwing cast the final Cataclysm as well and not entirely just the Old God (even if it was with said Old Gods power that he had that ability most likely).
I've been assuming that as Yogg-Saron has claimed a domain they each likely had their own with the goals and desires those domains suggest.

Yogg-Saron would probably try to maximize the death rate if he ruled the world. Kill everything and there is no more death. Filling the world with incredibly fast breeding hyper-aggressive lifeforms that kill and die at as quick a rate as possible while still leaving enough to regrow to continue the cycle seems more what I imagine his ideal world to be.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:22 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakhed View Post
I've been assuming that as Yogg-Saron has claimed a domain they each likely had their own with the goals and desires those domains suggest.

Yogg-Saron would probably try to maximize the death rate if he ruled the world. Kill everything and there is no more death. Filling the world with incredibly fast breeding hyper-aggressive lifeforms that kill and die at as quick a rate as possible while still leaving enough to regrow to continue the cycle seems more what I imagine his ideal world to be.
Seems like the nerubians fit quite well for that example. Used to be very aggressive in WC3 and upon death the bigger ones spawned spiderlings as well as they seem to spawn like crazy.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:46 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabarax View Post
Seems like the nerubians fit quite well for that example. Used to be very aggressive in WC3 and upon death the bigger ones spawned spiderlings as well as they seem to spawn like crazy.
It seems to fit all of the Aqir quite well actually.

I'm actually beginning to think more deeply of them as a joint creation of the three. Not only do many of them share a method of reproduction that spawn an excessive number in such a way most won't reach adulthood but they also seem to all have strong scholarly elements to their society. Which leads me to the conclusion that one of their gods, likely C'thun, had a connection to that field.

Even C'thun's form as a giant eye sets himself up as the "Observer" of the lot, the gatherer of facts or knowledge. His whispers that contrast sharply with Yogg-Saron's blatant boasts or N'zoth's command of "Away!". Unlike the others who boast, threaten or command C'thun's words simply state things as if they were fact. Never does he take a boasting, threatening or commanding tone.

C'thun is the observer and stater of facts or what he wants others to see as facts.

And the Aqir likely made an excellent army for spreading violence and anger, sowing fear and doubt and all the rest as well.

Just looking at their features and traits they actually work surprisingly well filling all three theoretical roles.