Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 01-14-2011, 06:55 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScytheRexx View Post
I think they did a really good job transitioning him from "old stubborn Genn" to his much more humble personality. I think the parts with his son were the best.
Seemed like a parallel to the little arguments between Varian and Anduin about how to best do things also.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:03 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by emperium View Post
Yes i know he left shortly after the third war.

I still consider it one of the Alliance darkest hours because of the fact the Alliance was already falling apart at the time. If it wasnt for the support of Magni, Proudmoure, Varian and Antonidas the Alliance may very well not exist any more!
Anyway, again it was not their darkest hour, as the nations were still up and running (sans Alterac) at that point. Most kings operated under the assumption that the Alliance was just a temporary affair to address the Orcish Horde. But the Alliance is still in tact without Gilneas, correct? So they did not need Gilneas to maintain the Alliance.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:30 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyard View Post
Great story.

Actually I'm not surprised. I also wonder if (even if it seems that it was formed by Arugal) Relaar was also involved with the Wolfcult in Northrend.
I don't think thats what it means. I think its a wolfcult that broke out from Relaars.

But, I don't know. We will have to see the comics.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:35 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferlion View Post
I don't think thats what it means. I think its a wolfcult that broke out from Relaars.

But, I don't know. We will have to see the comics.
That could be confusing. There are two known wolf cults, which may or may not be linked: Arugal's and Relaar's. Arugal was definitely anti-Scourge (prior to forced resurrection) and anti-Forsaken. Relaar claims in Issue #1 to be pro-Genn Greymane and is a known worgen-supremacist ("purity of essence").
Old 01-14-2011, 07:36 PM

Elune

The thought of Genn and them entering Darnassus amuses me.

'Yea see that purple light? Just walk into that to enter the city. Just trust me you'll be fine!'.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:42 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
That could be confusing. There are two known wolf cults, which may or may not be linked: Arugal's and Relaar's. Arugal was definitely anti-Scourge (prior to forced resurrection) and anti-Forsaken. Relaar claims in Issue #1 to be pro-Genn Greymane and is a known worgen-supremacist ("purity of essence").
Certainly true, but if you recall, the wolf cult was executing a traitor in the first issue.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:48 PM

Elune

Quote:
Certainly true, but if you recall, the wolf cult was executing a traitor in the first issue.
The traitor was the one doing the killing and he said it was a rebel sympathizer.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:57 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
The traitor was the one doing the killing and he said it was a rebel sympathizer.
Right. Which means there ARE people who disagree with the way Relaar was doing things, so its possible that by rebel wolf cult he meant another wolf cult. Especially since Relaar supported Greymane (according to the comics, and of course, that needs to take into account his own plans)
Old 01-14-2011, 08:07 PM

Elune

Quote:
Right. Which means there ARE people who disagree with the way Relaar was doing things, so its possible that by rebel wolf cult he meant another wolf cult. Especially since Relaar supported Greymane (according to the comics, and of course, that needs to take into account his own plans)
And if he was telling the truth.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:16 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
The thought of Genn and them entering Darnassus amuses me.

'Yea see that purple light? Just walk into that to enter the city. Just trust me you'll be fine!'.
I lol'd. Out loud.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:44 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
I lol'd. Out loud.
You laughed out loud, out loud?

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:47 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

I'm beginning to think that almost all of Silverpine was actually Gilnean land, not Lordaeronian. At the very least it seems the border was somewhere around the Sepulcher.

I do hope this story explains to people why Gilneas did not support the internment camps: time and time again I've pointed out that Genn had never even seen an orc, and only objected to remaining in the Alliance for economic reasons, and I'm so tired of people expecting him to hate the orcs.

Finally, this does make me wonder: if Genn refers to the "harvest witches" as "druids", and if he didn't know Belrysa before the Worgen invasion, I must wonder where they came from.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:05 PM

Demon Hunter

I really liked this short story.
But I must ask something : Do you think Genn will play a major role in the retaking of Lordaeron? I mean, in the end of this novel, Genn finally agreed with his son that he had to help his former allies who needed his crucial support to fight the Scourge, and it is hinted that he will be very usefull for the Alliance in the future. As he later appears in Stormwind, we can suppose his role will take place in the Eastern kingdoms. So to me, he will want to repair his errors in memory of Liam, doing the exact opposite he did when his kingdom was part of the Alliance of Lordaeron : try to unify the human kingdoms.
It is known that Isiden Perenolde took refuge in Gilneas when the armies of the Alliance marched across Alterac in order to destroy it. He could surely play a role in this zone with Isiden.
As well for Stromgarde.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:14 PM

For fuck's sake.

Humanity's hegemony over the Eastern Kingdoms has ended. They're not going to retake Lordaeron during WoW's lifetime as they're not going to fuck over Forsaken players.

I am getting sick and tired of people flapping their gums about "reclaiming humanity's legacy" and what have you. Throughout the entire Warcraft series, humanity has been on a decline. That's practically what defines them, that their society is falling apart at the seams.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:20 PM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
For fuck's sake.

Humanity's hegemony over the Eastern Kingdoms has ended. They're not going to retake Lordaeron during WoW's lifetime as they're not going to fuck over Forsaken players.

I am getting sick and tired of people flapping their gums about "reclaiming humanity's legacy" and what have you. Throughout the entire Warcraft series, humanity has been on a decline. That's practically what defines them, that their society is falling apart at the seams.
I know that Lordaeron won't be retaken by the Alliance, it's a fact.
And I didn't mention Lordaeron the kingdom, but Lordaeron the continent. You know how to read, don't you?

Edit : and humanity's legacy over Lordaeron hasn't ended at all. Gilneas proves the contrary. As well for Stromgarde which has good chances to be retaken by the Alliance and Danath.

Last edited by Moonrunner; 01-14-2011 at 09:30 PM..
Old 01-14-2011, 09:37 PM

Hope springs eternal, bud. They're not going to simply "give" Stromgarde to either side, it's going to be, at best, a perpetual battlefield and, most likely, ignored for the rest of WoW's lifespan. One dude coming back from outland wont change that.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:41 PM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
They're not going to simply "give" Stromgarde to either side, it's going to be, at best, a perpetual battlefield and, most likely, ignored for the rest of WoW's lifespan.
Yeah we all saw that with Andorhal.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:05 PM

Guru of Gilneas

There is a Celestine of the Harvest, but she refers to her order as druids. It's Gwen Armstead who refers to the Gilnean druids as "harvest witches."

The Winds Know Your Name... Apparently
Quote:
Most of us made it here alive... but there are worgen on this side of the city as well.

We're going to continue heading south once everyone's accounted for.

That reminds me, someone was asking about you. It was that harvest-witch, Celestine; she said the winds spoke your name.

You'd best hurry, <name>. We're going to need you to get back to the worgen-smashing once you're done conversing with nature.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:56 AM

Site Staff - Admin

It was definitely a cool story, yeah. I liked the flashbacks with Archibald, Ashbury, Arugal et cetera. I love seeing Genn's interaction with all the different characters. The only parts of the story that I didn't enjoy were the ship sections. I dunno, they just seemed kinda dull to me. It would have been kinda nice seeing Genn talk with Malfurion and Varian, but it's still a great little story.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:59 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Awesome story, this is the way to follow, Blizzard. Tell a good story, with new good lore and explanations to everything.

Loved how they explained Gilneas Brigade, Ambermill and Pyrewood, night elves appearing recently and not being there since always, etc.

As for the industrial thing, well, they were pretty selfish, so they wouldn't want to buy dwarf technology, forcing them to develop their own industry.

I'm sad they didn't mention Lord Walden, but they mentioned Lord Marley, a new noble, so I'm ok with it.

As for druidism, well, druids were mentioned to exist at Caer Darrow, so it may be a known art between humans, just that it wasn't practiced too much.

The best of all is how they've developed Genn while respecting his previous lore. I just love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
I also have one thing to add, i cannot even begin to state how some/most/all of the arguments for protectionism and against joining alliance is so similar to the same arguments used by British eurosceptics against the European Union
QFT, lol xDDD.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 01-15-2011, 08:14 AM

Ranger

so mia and tess aren't worgen?

that could cause problems in the future for gilneas between the worgen and the remaining humans
Old 01-15-2011, 08:41 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
You laughed out loud, out loud?
It's a quote from an episode of Monk, where Mr. Monk gets addicted to the Internet.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:30 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by reader of truths View Post
so mia and tess aren't worgen?

that could cause problems in the future for gilneas between the worgen and the remaining humans
Maybe one day they will gladly to take the curse themselves. I think there're some of the Gilneans getting used to the worgen forms and they embrace it.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:01 AM

That's something I really don't like about the way Worgen are portrayed: there's practically no downside to having the worgen curse, since you also retain your human appearance.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:32 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
night elves appearing recently and not being there since always, etc.
Well, to be fair all we know is that Genn only became aware of them recently. We still donít know when Alpha Prime showed up or how the agrarian folk knew about Druidism. It didnít completely rule out a longer Night Elven presence.