Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Old 11-08-2014, 10:01 PM

World Builder

Y'know what I don't feel like having this discussion with you.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
I don't think all female characters need to be like Pharah.

There is a balance between a burka and being naked.
That's not even what is being discussed.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 11-08-2014, 10:03 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
That's not even what is being discussed.
What is being discussed then?
Old 11-08-2014, 10:04 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ganishka #1520

Quote:
Blizzard doesn't have to take the feedback if they don't want to but they seem intent on doing so. I don't think all female characters need to be like Pharah. I think Tracer is completely fine. Women have wider hips, curvier bodies, breasts and butts, it is biology. If you wear sweatpants or a swim suit you can see the shape of these things. There is a balance between a burka and being naked.
There are times I wish this board had a "like/dislike" system for posts. This is one of those times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Baras
A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowordfun
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:07 PM

World Builder

Quote:
What is being discussed then?
Some people would like female characters with different silhouettes.

Widowmaker, Symmetra, Mercy, and Tracer, when compared with Reinhardt, Trojdwarf, Hanzo and Winston, represent a far more narrow range of choices and bodies.

And so literally all that is being said is "It'd be nice if some female characters in the future broke that mold"

And Gani and Smoke threw a fit for reasons I literally cannot fathom.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 11-08-2014, 10:47 PM

Poor Soldier
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Some, maybe, but it isn't in the interest of Blizzard to use dev time to create characters people won't be attracted to playing. It's just a fact in society that fat roley poley women aren't attractive aesthetically to play. They may make some amazons later, but it just isn't smart to start your game off and use time to create characters only a niche of humanity will play.

Last edited by Ragnahar; 11-08-2014 at 10:49 PM..
Old 11-08-2014, 11:00 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Quote:
Some people would like female characters with different silhouettes.

Widowmaker, Symmetra, Mercy, and Tracer, when compared with Reinhardt, Trojdwarf, Hanzo and Winston, represent a far more narrow range of choices and bodies.

And so literally all that is being said is "It'd be nice if some female characters in the future broke that mold"

And Gani and Smoke threw a fit for reasons I literally cannot fathom.
Dude, one is a motherfucking gorilla! Of course it won't use the normal human body!
Old 11-08-2014, 11:22 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnahar View Post
Some, maybe, but it isn't in the interest of Blizzard to use dev time to create characters people won't be attracted to playing. It's just a fact in society that fat roley poley women aren't attractive aesthetically to play. They may make some amazons later, but it just isn't smart to start your game off and use time to create characters only a niche of humanity will play.
I think more people would play these characters than you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster View Post
Dude, one is a motherfucking gorilla! Of course it won't use the normal human body!
I don't get your point.

EDIT:

To clarify... So what?

The point stands the female characters have a pretty narrow silhouette range when compared to others and people would like that to change.

The reaction to this desire has been generally unreasonable, ranging from literally claiming it's about guilt tripping the devs to saying that anyone who wants a character that doesn't have an hourglass figure must hate sexy/beautiful people.

My Worldbuilding:

Last edited by Mutterscrawl; 11-08-2014 at 11:24 PM..
Old 11-08-2014, 11:25 PM

Poor Soldier

Quote:
I think more people would play these characters than you think.

I doubt it. McIntosh is, and will always remain a dishonest jackoff.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:31 PM

World Builder

Quote:
I doubt it. McIntosh is, and will always remain a dishonest jackoff.
I literally don't know who that guy is beyond that one tweet and don't really understand what he has to do with the rest of the population of the gaming community?

Women gamers, or hell, gamers male and female alike who play female characters in games that happen to fall outside the skinny hourglass design don't have to make up a majority to somehow justify their existence.

It's not like people tabulate how many people are gonna play X robot or Y alien bug character in games.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 11-08-2014, 11:32 PM

Arch-Druid

It is now my headcanon that Bastion identifies as female, but cannot express herself because all she can do is beep.

Seriously, though. We have a surprisingly diverse cast of characters, both male and female, with varied and interesting back stories. None of the female characters are trying to smuggle watermelons in their tops - shit, I'd argue that Widowmaker is the only one really showing off any cleavage, and she's probably on the lower end of the boob scale - and of the two who seem to be the most... divisively dressed (Widowmaker and Symmetra), one is a sniper who probably doesn't want to be wearing bulky armor or something that would hinder her mobility, and the other is a genius level scientist whose choice in attire is most likely cultural, and who can create barriers of hard light to protect herself.

And let's be goddamn honest for a second. If we had the token curvy chick or - Godzilla forbid - a huskier woman, people would be even more angry about them than they are over similar body shapes now. One would exist solely to be "objectified", and the other would be seen as a joke character who exists to shame women of size. Even if neither were the case.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:40 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakitori View Post
It is now my headcanon that Bastion identifies as female, but cannot express herself because all she can do is beep.

Seriously, though. We have a surprisingly diverse cast of characters, both male and female, with varied and interesting back stories. None of the female characters are trying to smuggle watermelons in their tops - shit, I'd argue that Widowmaker is the only one really showing off any cleavage, and she's probably on the lower end of the boob scale - and of the two who seem to be the most... divisively dressed (Widowmaker and Symmetra), one is a sniper who probably doesn't want to be wearing bulky armor or something that would hinder her mobility, and the other is a genius level scientist whose choice in attire is most likely cultural, and who can create barriers of hard light to protect herself.

And let's be goddamn honest for a second. If we had the token curvy chick or - Godzilla forbid - a huskier woman, people would be even more angry about them than they are over similar body shapes now. One would exist solely to be "objectified", and the other would be seen as a joke character who exists to shame women of size. Even if neither were the case.
The diversity is a good and cool step in the right direction. Hell the game's getting some good feedback from a lot of people.

http://scribbles-and-sobs.tumblr.com...ve-to-look-the

Their silhouettes are still pretty much the same and all people are saying is that they'd like that to not be the case in the future I cannot understand why this is such a big deal.

I don't think that's the case, I think people would be happy, given that reception to the game is ALREADY pretty positive and it's folks here who are so thin-skinned that the slightest commentary represents a veritable tide of "Evil SJW Hate" on the game and Blizzard.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 11-08-2014, 11:43 PM

Poor Soldier

Quote:
I literally don't know who that guy is beyond that one tweet and don't really understand what he has to do with the rest of the population of the gaming community?

Women gamers, or hell, gamers male and female alike who play female characters in games that happen to fall outside the skinny hourglass design don't have to make up a majority to somehow justify their existence.

It's not like people tabulate how many people are gonna play X robot or Y alien bug character in games.
He's a feminist with a bigger platform than you, and game companies do, very rigorously keep track of what characters get played and why. It's very important for business. Especially if this game does use the F2P style, and you have to unlock characters, the game companies want to create characters people will want.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:47 PM

World Builder

I think it's really dumb to act like no one could ever wanna play a female character with a different body type than the existing ones.

http://chefhuang.tumblr.com/post/102...atch-5-women-4

http://the-meggo.tumblr.com/post/102...thank-blizzard

http://idrawboobs.tumblr.com/post/10...nce-they-kinda

My Worldbuilding:
Old 11-09-2014, 12:05 AM

Elune

Quote:

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. Very few people find playing a hambeast as attractive aesthetically. Pandaren don't count, as they are still physically attractive while being chubby, and they don't look like this (NSFW). The truth is, is that most people want to play something attractive or powerful, as it is a form of power fantasy fulfillment.

If people want to play walking blobs of fat and cellulite, than they should make their own company and try to sell it. There is a reason that that kind of thing does not exist, and that is that being hideously obese or skeletally thin is not attractive on a biological level. And, yes, they DO have to make up a majority (or at least a sizable minority) in order to justify devoting time to making it, because than they lose massive amounts of profit (and thus effort) on making something that very few people want.

Quote:
Quote:
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:15 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganishka View Post
I'm sorry, but you are wrong. Very few people find playing a hambeast as attractive aesthetically.

Pandaren don't count, as they are still physically attractive while being chubby, and *dumb link* The truth is, is that most people want to play something attractive or powerful, as it is a form of power fantasy fulfillment.

If people want to play walking blobs of fat and cellulite, than they should make their own company and try to sell it. There is a reason that that kind of thing does not exist, and that is that being hideously obese or skeletally thin is not attractive on a biological level. And, yes, they DO have to make up a majority (or at least a sizable minority) in order to justify devoting time to making it, because than they lose massive amounts of profit (and thus effort) on making something that very few people want.
Y'know Gani it's kinda sad you're so narrowminded you have to refer to anyone that doesn't fit a weird fictional archetype as a hambeast.

So why is it when I point out people are asking for something outside the archetype we've seen so far, and I've literally brought up a Panda type model earlier in the thread, you somehow exclude panda's from the concept?

Why is it you think I'm asking for morbidly obese people and not... literally anything else?

I mean hell, male characters get to be gorillas, or to use some other games as examples, blobs of actual slime or voidbeasts.

Why is that so out of bounds for a female character?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 11-09-2014, 12:18 AM

Poor Soldier

I have been in some horrible places on this earth, and i've never heard the term hambeast. I'm stealing it.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:22 AM

World Builder

Quote:
I have been in some horrible places on this earth, and i've never heard the term hambeast. I'm stealing it.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hambeast

But in all seriousness, What Horror, truly no one could ever want to play as something resembling such a creature

My Worldbuilding:
Old 11-09-2014, 12:27 AM

Poor Soldier

Ick.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:28 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Just keep in mind that the difference between a fat person and a hambeast is entirely on whether or not they also act like gigantic pieces of shit. If they're chill people who happen to be overweight, they're cool.

If they get angry because of a "One Free Sample" sign next to some cookies at a bakery, eat other people's food without asking them and get offended when called out on it, refuse to do anything because "muh condishuns", or who call larger people who might still be smaller than they are "too fat" while calling anyone skinny "an anorexic twig" or a "slut"? Hambeast.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:29 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Ick.
What, afraid you'll break a hip?

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakitori View Post
Just keep in mind that the difference between a fat person and a hambeast is entirely on whether or not they also act like gigantic pieces of shit. If they're chill people who happen to be overweight, they're cool.

If they get angry because of a "One Free Sample" sign next to some cookies at a bakery, eat other people's food without asking them and get offended when called out on it, refuse to do anything because "muh condishuns", or who call larger people who might still be smaller than they are "too fat" while calling anyone skinny "an anorexic twig" or a "slut"? Hambeast.
Be honest, do you think that's how Gani was using the term when he described what people want added as playable options in games?

EDIT2:

On top of everything else this is all really dumb.

Acting like the only way we can include female characters in the game is whether they're fuckable or not is dumb.

People can want to play characters that aren't sexually appealing.

Aside from nonhumanoids we've also got the potential for characters that fit other archetypes.

Lets use a LoL example: Same way no one wants to fuck / "be" zilean but he's still a champ despite not being built like Ezreal or Garen, same could apply to female characters.

My Worldbuilding:

Last edited by Mutterscrawl; 11-09-2014 at 12:33 AM..
Old 11-09-2014, 12:33 AM

Poor Soldier

Quote:
What, afraid you'll break a hip?
They are unattractive.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:39 AM

World Builder

Quote:
They are unattractive.
I think you have poor taste.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 11-09-2014, 12:40 AM

Elune

Quote:
Y'know Gani it's kinda sad you're so narrowminded you have to refer to anyone that doesn't fit a weird fictional archetype as a hambeast.
"Fictional"? HAHAHAHAHA! Yeah, I'm sure Lena Dunham will win Miss America 2015 because standards of beauty are just "a weird fictional archetype".

Quote:
So why is it when I point out people are asking for something outside the archetype we've seen so far, and I've literally brought up a Panda type model earlier in the thread, you somehow exclude panda's from the concept?
I wasn't even talking about Overwatch, but Metzen's idiotic comments and inserting feminism into it.

Quote:
Why is it you think I'm asking for morbidly obese people and not... literally anything else?
You keep bringing up "hourglass figures" and how they are some evil form of oppression or that they are sexist or something. That's why.

Quote:
I mean hell, male characters get to be gorillas, or to use some other games as examples, blobs of actual slime or voidbeasts.

Why is that so out of bounds for a female character?
It isn't? But, normally when it is done with women, it is done as a joke or they are not meant to be sexually or aesthetically attractive. Also, I would hardly call a giant robot or a voidbeast as "male". Winston is a gorilla, only furries would find him sexually attractive, and that is because they are freaks.

I say that no one wants to play disgustingly fat, ugly women. And you respond with cute, chubby women? I think you just shot your own argument in the foot.

None of those women are ugly or hideously obese. They are attractive in the way Pandaren women are attractive, minus being anthropomorphic pandas.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Ganishka; 11-09-2014 at 12:46 AM..
Old 11-09-2014, 12:42 AM

Poor Soldier

Quote:
I consider it more having standards.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:48 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganishka View Post
"Fictional"? HAHAHAHAHA! Yeah, I'm sure Lena Dunham will win Miss America 2015 because standards of beauty are just "a weird fictional archetype".

I wasn't even talking about Overwatch, but Metzen's idiotic comments and inserting feminism into it.

You keep bringing up "hourglass figures" and how they are some evil form of oppression or that they are sexist or something. That's why.

It isn't? But, normally when it is done with women, it is done as a joke or they are not meant to be sexually or aesthetically attractive. Also, I would hardly call a giant robot or a voidbeast as "male". Winston is a gorilla, only furries would find him sexually attractive, and that is because they are freaks.
Well I -am- talking about Overwatch when I mention hourglass figures, and I'm not saying they're wrong or evil I'm just remarking that currently they're the only female shape available and some people would like that to change with the introduction of future characters, I don't get how that's so wrong.

Cho'gath is male. The Buddhist robot whose name I can't spell is referred to with "he"

My point is female characters seem to be capable of using different equipment but are generally stuck in the same general physical shape and that sucks, while male characters aren't stuck in that "Must be fuckable" box and can thus be anything, whether it's a human or a gorilla or a robot or whatever the fuck.

Quote:
I consider it more having standards.

My Worldbuilding:

Tags
feminism, poisoned well, serious business