Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 08-17-2016, 09:45 AM

Eternal

Baine would have been the most reasonable choice, provided they would finally give him his book personality.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:45 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

This is what happens when Horde fans are too passive.

Alliance fans are still fighting the High King idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:50 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
This is what happens when Horde fans are too passive.
I'd rather say that is what happens when a large deal of the Horde fans are cucks who consider Sylvanas their waifu, and Blizzard listens, but who really knows.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:04 AM

Arch-Druid

Killing off Vol'jin after one expansion of doing nothing as Warcheif is just huge misstep in writing. Sylvannas replacing him because "the spirits" told him too is just the icing on the shit cake.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:16 AM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

We just saw the opening 5 minutes of a 3 hours movie, in terms of story. Some things may make more sense later on.

Ugh, and here I was thinking I'll come here to take a break from the utterly toxic MMO-C Shaman forum.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:21 AM

Banished

Blasphemous thoughts only strenghten the TRUE QUEEN, THE ONCE AND FUTURE WARCHIEF, Our Dark Mother.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:23 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
We just saw the opening 5 minutes of a 3 hours movie, in terms of story. Some things may make more sense later on.

Ugh, and here I was thinking I'll come here to take a break from the utterly toxic MMO-C Shaman forum.
Got more details Miffy?
“Children are dying." Lull nodded. "That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words.”
Old 08-17-2016, 10:26 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avon View Post
Killing off Vol'jin after one expansion of doing nothing as Warcheif is just huge misstep in writing. Sylvannas replacing him because "the spirits" told him too is just the icing on the shit cake.
Because a leader must do something of value before dying unexpectedly, otherwise it's bad writing. Half the medieval rulers would be delighted to learn their fate was nothing but work of a terrible writer, I am pretty sure.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:27 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Stncold#1786

I'm just waiting for it to wind up that it was actually KJ or a dreadlord fucking with Vol'jin and telling him to make Sylvanas warchief with the idea that a Sylvanas warchief would fracture the Horde. In the end, however, their plan winds up backfiring because Sylvanas is just that infallible.

An unlikely scenario all things considered but I wouldn't put it past Blizz.

Last edited by Yorenec; 08-17-2016 at 10:29 AM..
Old 08-17-2016, 10:28 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insipid_Lobster View Post
Got more details Miffy?
Nope.
And if it ends up never being brought up again, like not seeing Vol'jin's spirit or vision, and nothing ever happening with this again, I'd agree it's pretty weak.

But somehow I strongly doubt that. Like I said, we're not even in the opening act of an entire expansion yet.

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Because a leader must do something of value before dying unexpectedly, otherwise it's bad writing. Half the medieval rulers would be delighted to learn their fate was nothing but work of a terrible writer, I am pretty sure.
No story wasted as much potential as that of reality.

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Real life ain't a video game. You don't build up characters to do nothing with them but I guess GoT has got everyone clamouring for main characters to drop like flies in order to feel realistic..
Old 08-17-2016, 10:32 AM

Elune

Quote:
Real life ain't a video game. You don't build up characters to do nothing with them but I guess GoT has got everyone clamouring for main characters to drop like flies in order to feel realistic..
Actually that makes more fleshed-out storylines feel meatier and gives them more weight in the overall structure, imo.
Else you run into predictable redundancies over and over again if you close the book on the possibility of a character simply unceremoniously passing away sometimes. WoW is not a theater piece, it does not have acts and not all of its characters require fleshed-out arcs or even goals. It's supposed to simulate a world to immerse in.

That being said, I will again state that it's too early to tell if that was all she wrote on the matter of Vol'jin's death and Sylvanas' ascension.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:40 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
Actually that makes more fleshed-out storylines feel meatier and gives them more weight in the overall structure, imo.
Else you run into predictable redundancies over and over again if you close the book on the possibility of a character simply unceremoniously passing away sometimes. WoW is not a theater piece, it does not have acts and not all of its characters require fleshed-out arcs or even goals. It's supposed to simulate a world to immerse in.

That being said, I will again state that it's too early to tell if that was all she wrote on the matter of Vol'jin's death and Sylvanas' ascension.
It can do. This instance just feels like the dev team just don't like Vol'Jin and have no idea what to do with him.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:42 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Except that is exactly what you do if you do not want your work to turn into a redundant, predictable show of characters that are virtually untouchable. Something Warcraft certainly turned into in the past few years, so this is actually a breath of fresh air.

And no, making up new characters so they can just die to prove death is still present or killing established characters once they complete their respective arcs does not do the trick either.

Last edited by Marthen; 08-17-2016 at 10:44 AM..
Old 08-17-2016, 10:51 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
That's weird. I get the warlock dialogue on all my horde characters except my horde demon hunter even though none of them are warlocks.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:55 AM

Banished

Quote:
It can do. This instance just feels like the dev team just don't like Vol'Jin and have no idea what to do with him.
Not really. I mean maybe the later applied but not the former. However his fate is a consequence of what they wanted to do in Legion. They wanted Sylvanas in power. Had Varian not died maybe he could have resigned or would have gotten incapacitated but since Varian died, they killed him off to open the way for Syl and make it even for the Horde
Old 08-17-2016, 10:56 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
That's weird. I get the warlock dialogue on all my horde characters except my horde demon hunter even though none of them are warlocks.

It's a bug apparently but idk if they're going to fix it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:03 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
Not really. I mean maybe the later applied but not the former. However his fate is a consequence of what they wanted to do in Legion. They wanted Sylvanas in power. Had Varian not died maybe he could have resigned or would have gotten incapacitated but since Varian died, they killed him off to open the way for Syl and make it even for the Horde
Eh I don't see killing off Varian who has been front and centre of the Alliance since WotLK and Vol'jin as being equal. If they wanted to be equal the would have killed off thrall. And being equal is a terrible way to write a story anyway.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:11 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Quaero#1875

With all this Jaina talk, I feel this is as relevant as it ever was.

Elune

Shadow Orb

Being equal is a terrible way to write a story, but one Blizzard keeps on using in its own, twisted manner. Like how they offed Taylor for no fucking reason beyond "Nazgrim is dead" or they considered Doomhammer like Maraad's equivalent in Talador even though it doesn't even make sense. And that's the problem with Blizzard, they should just stop pretending they make the writing equal, just write and who cares if that's not equal. But stop forcing parts of the story to pretend that it is.

On Vol'jin's death, I consider Warcraft to be super heroes in a fantasy world now, so of course him dying without doing anything doesn't make sense in that context.

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Thrall should be warchief again. Traitorous troll.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:12 AM

Elune

Why do people act like Jaina is morally ambiguous or grey? She's not.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:13 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

Thrall is shit.

Vote Lor'themar, vote for a guy who isn't really a prick and can turn a shitheap into something half-productive.
“Children are dying." Lull nodded. "That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words.”
Old 08-17-2016, 11:14 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster View Post
Being equal is a terrible way to write a story, but one Blizzard keeps on using in its own, twisted manner. Like how they offed Taylor for no fucking reason beyond "Nazgrim is dead" or they considered Doomhammer like Maraad's equivalent in Talador even though it doesn't even make sense. And that's the problem with Blizzard, they should just stop pretending they make the writing equal, just write and who cares if that's not equal. But stop forcing parts of the story to pretend that it is.

On Vol'jin's death, I consider Warcraft to be super heroes in a fantasy world now, so of course him dying without doing anything doesn't make sense in that context.
Voljin was Basically a MCU villain, he was important for 2 hours then he died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insipid_Lobster View Post
Thrall is shit.

Vote Lor'themar, vote for a guy who isn't really a prick and can turn a shitheap into something half-productive.
We are horde, we dont Vote. we kill each other for higher Positions.

Aside from that Lorthemar is an authoritarian Hitler Dicktator.

Tags
garrisons never change, leg expansion, world of warcraft, wow legion