Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 12-03-2016, 12:04 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
Am I the only one who finds Draenor more interesting than Azeroth? Legit a million times more hyped for vol 2 than I was for vol 1.
Draenor has a sense of mystery as we barely know* anything about it. I like them equally though.

*WoD doesn't count ; It never will!
Old 12-03-2016, 12:38 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Am I the only one who finds Draenor more interesting than Azeroth? Legit a million times more hyped for vol 2 than I was for vol 1.
I don't find Draenor more interesting than Azeroth, but I gotta say I love everything in WoW, so I'm really hyped for this volume, although not as much as the last one.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:05 PM

Drunk Assassin

let's hope it didn't take the horde a week or two to take over khaz modan entirely
Old 12-04-2016, 04:48 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
let's hope it didn't take the horde a week or two to take over khaz modan entirely
It shouldn't take too long either, the old RTS game implied that the Horde blitzkrieged through Khaz Modan.

Quote:
About the same. Frankly, I probably couldn't decide even if you put a gun to my head.

Nonetheless, I am also hyped for this volume more than I was for the previous one, but that's just me being a sucker for Warcraft I and II, the old Alliance, the old Horde and so on.

Last edited by Marthen; 12-04-2016 at 12:20 PM..
Old 12-04-2016, 03:06 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Azeroth is a hodgepodge array of Fantasy tropes.

Draenor is likewise, but at least it has more focus. Bring on neanderthal world!
Old 12-05-2016, 03:20 PM

Echo of the Past

I feel like the antler helmet dates him, but in a good way. It's like seeing WWI Germans with their spiked helmets.

The first time I saw Blackhand was the WCII manual, with Doomhammer holding his severed head. That stupid helmet even had a broken antler.

To me, that imagery really felt like a "changing of the guard" moment.

But that's likely the problem, yeah? They probably didn't want Blackhand to look goofy and dated in WoD, in the film, or in this Chronicle.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:39 PM

Eternal

Well, I think "changing of the guard" is now exemplified by Blackhand having the same kind of armor that Doomhammer and Thrall have, if a bit more crude and bulky (an older generation).

Though I am still not sure if the absence of the helmet on that art should really be interpreted as a retcon.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:00 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Well, I think "changing of the guard" is now exemplified by Blackhand having the same kind of armor that Doomhammer and Thrall have, if a bit more crude and bulky (an older generation).

Though I am still not sure if the absence of the helmet on that art should really be interpreted as a retcon.
Well I agree it's not a retcon, as far as we know.

EDIT: Also, the breasplate is an emphasis on continuity of the Horde. I was talking about the opposite.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 12-05-2016 at 04:12 PM..
Old 12-05-2016, 07:23 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I feel like the antler helmet dates him, but in a good way. It's like seeing WWI Germans with their spiked helmets.
How do you feel about the more practical armor of the Alliance troops compared to the Lego/very fantastical armor they wear these days?

In my RTS universe fan-concept I wrote that the horned helmets of the paladins/knights and footmen of Stormwind are inspired by the image of Tyr, who in turn was inspired by the Vrykul.

Last edited by SmokeBlader; 12-05-2016 at 07:26 PM..
Old 12-05-2016, 07:30 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
How do you feel about the more practical armor of the Alliance troops compared to the Lego/very fantastical armor they wear these days?

In my RTS universe fan-concept I wrote that the horned helmets of the paladins/knights and footmen of Stormwind are inspired by the image of Tyr, who in turn was inspired by the Vrykul.
Extra variety is generally a plus, right? Horned helmets on WC1 humans could have translated to horned helmets being a part of Stormwind-Azeroth's heritage, something that was lost after the First War.

But once again... I see that the problem in that depiction (especially for the most recent movie) is that Blizzard is trying to establish CONNECTION between the First War universe and the modern WoW universe, not too much distinction.

EDIT: Sadly, that's the same mindframe that replaced orc helmets with orc ponytails even in First War depictions like the recent film, even though most orcs still had helmets up through WC3.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:07 AM

Eternal

Quote:
EDIT: Also, the breasplate is an emphasis on continuity of the Horde. I was talking about the opposite.
Alright, I was genuinely confused by your WWI example, as the Pickelhaubes had been remplaced by the Stahlhelms during the said war as means of adaptation, so I interpreted your "changing the guard" more like "passing the torch".

Quote:
But once again... I see that the problem in that depiction (especially for the most recent movie) is that Blizzard is trying to establish CONNECTION between the First War universe and the modern WoW universe, not too much distinction.

EDIT: Sadly, that's the same mindframe that replaced orc helmets with orc ponytails even in First War depictions like the recent film, even though most orcs still had helmets up through WC3.
I am not sure of this. Actually, the movie had the orcs using these helmets en large, and so has a lot of modern art. I think it is more about;

1) Trying to modernise the artistic depiction, as they found that one simply way too outdated in the current world.

2) A different set of artists working on it. Instead of Samwise and Metzen we have Wei Wang and Peter C. Lee doing this stuff.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This one's for Mertico. We will learn how those two races interacted before the whole Horde ordeal.

Also, the Day of the Dragon events are Volume 3, as expected.

Last edited by Marthen; 02-12-2017 at 01:09 PM..
Old 12-11-2016, 09:08 AM

Elune

Nifty. Glad I clicked the thread.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:32 AM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
This one's for Mertico. We will learn how those two races interacted before the whole Horde ordeal.
This fills me with equal parts intrigue and dread.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:45 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
This fills me with equal parts intrigue and dread.
I think that could be said for everything concerning Chronicle. But Vol. 1 turned out great (or at least good enough, depends on whom you ask), so I am staying fairly positive.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:51 AM

Elune

The biggest concern is if it ends up being a summarized telling of WoD with some MU teaks here and there.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:00 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
The biggest concern is if it ends up being a summarized telling of WoD with some MU teaks here and there.
Doubtful. Check one of the tweets in the original post. The Lords of War contents will be mentioned and put into context, but they won't get much spotlight. And there are many other things confirmed to be in that did not get touched upon in Warlords of Draenor at all.

Edit: Though still possible, of course.

Last edited by Marthen; 12-11-2016 at 10:04 AM..
Old 12-11-2016, 12:02 PM

Keeper of the Grove

What was the original chronicle like? How in-depth did it get about this kind of stuff?
Old 12-11-2016, 12:56 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagrid View Post
What was the original chronicle like? How in-depth did it get about this kind of stuff?
You know you can buy it right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:18 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
You can also download it.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:21 PM

World Builder

Quote:
It's pretty good. Nice bit of detail especially on the stuff about Lordain and Lei-Shen's actual cause of death.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 12-11-2016, 02:23 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
You can also download it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:21 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
$27.76, huh? Wow, what a fucking bargain.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:43 PM

Eternal

Do you guys think the third volume will feature on the cover Kel'Thuzad in a blue tint?

We've had Medivh in red and now Gul'dan in green. Kel'Thuzad in blue seems clear.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:17 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
Do you guys think the third volume will feature on the cover Kel'Thuzad in a blue tint?

We've had Medivh in red and now Gul'dan in green. Kel'Thuzad in blue seems clear.
I think Illidan in purple is probably more likely, since it will also cover WoW+expansions.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:21 AM

Eternal

Quote:
$27.76, huh? Wow, what a fucking bargain.
That's a lot?

Quote:
I think Illidan in purple is probably more likely, since it will also cover WoW+expansions.
How about the Lich King in blue? (especially since Vol. 3 won't get as far as Legion goes).

Last edited by Marthen; 12-12-2016 at 01:25 AM..

Tags
lore, warcraft