Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 04-18-2017, 04:26 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default New short story starring Nathanos: Dark Mirror

Old 04-18-2017, 04:34 PM

Arch-Druid

Did we hear about this at any point before it was released? Should we expect more?
Old 04-18-2017, 04:40 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
Did we hear about this at any point before it was released? Should we expect more?
Hopefully, I thought the amount and pacing of short stories in Cataclysm was good. Was something I hoped they'd stick with.
“Children are dying." Lull nodded. "That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words.”
Old 04-18-2017, 04:49 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Nyarsz#1553

I was kind of happy they imply they fug after that memory of the past, but then I was sad when it also implied at the end, they never did it

I mean, like seriously, the other sisters get to taste human dick and she doesnt? lame =/
Old 04-18-2017, 05:05 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temo View Post
I was kind of happy they imply they fug after that memory of the past, but then I was sad when it also implied at the end, they never did it

I mean, like seriously, the other sisters get to taste human dick and she doesnt? lame =/
Well, they've both got mostly working parts, and I'm sure the Goblins could work their magic and create some kind of lubricant/embalming fluid combo. It may not be too late.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:08 PM

Eternal

I think it's still possible they did.

He just... Doesn't care to remember. Everything that happened before was to 'other people'.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:11 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
I think it's interesting the story basically explained that the less decayed the corpse is, the more alive they fill. Which makes sense as it means there's less shadow magic keeping it together and explains why Sylvanas and Arthas sometimes make/made obviously emotional decisions despite undeath.

I also love how despite trying and swearing to get rid of it (Lament of the Highborne event, Warcrimes), Sylvanas still feels affection. It adds some light layers to her dark ones. I don't think they will outright whitewash her like Xe'ra/Illidan but they'll keep a modicum of humanity for her (she cares for the ones she loves)
------------------------------------------------------------------

They did fuck but Sylvanas is alpha af so she was the one who made the calls. Nathanos refuses to believe that she still feels affection because in his original form, he could barely feel (something that changed after getting his new form). That's how i interpreted it.

Loved the SF/SoL "fan" club shoutout in the story
Quote:
Even among her hated rivals in the mortal kingdoms, he knew full well there were hypocrites who, while publicly decrying her reign and scorning the Forsaken, in private exchanged fascinated whispers about the Dark Lady.

Last edited by GenyaArikado; 04-18-2017 at 06:18 PM..
Old 04-18-2017, 06:56 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

Those wacky Windrunner girls and their choices in human men.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:06 PM

World Builder

I'm in an odd spot with Nathanos

In vanilla and until Cata he was cool and I wanted him alive

But the way they brought him back, basically by pretending he never got killed in vanilla (feigndeath joke lol) and then giving him a deathknight model... Just confirms what Blizz conveyed with the Thrall model and zandalari models

Horde models suck and the updates didn't fix the fundamental problems with them

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 04-18-2017, 09:18 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
I'm in an odd spot with Nathanos

In vanilla and until Cata he was cool and I wanted him alive

But the way they brought him back, basically by pretending he never got killed in vanilla (feigndeath joke lol) and then giving him a deathknight model... Just confirms what Blizz conveyed with the Thrall model and zandalari models

Horde models suck and the updates didn't fix the fundamental problems with them
Horde models are fine.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:06 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

This short story makes me think that Sylvanas wanted infinite val'kyr to restore all forsaken.

I have yet to see a comment defending Sylvanas on the basis of "she's good and misunderstood!"

As a fan of hers, I really like how she's portrayed, as well as like Nathanos' personality and the extra depth we are given into the Forsaken.

Yes, she is going full maniacal with these human captives and I see no problem with that. Even better, if instead of the Alliance, an Argent Crusader found out of what the Forsaken have been doing there, we could easily have one of theim going full hatred nuts and forming a new Scarlet Crusade of sorts.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:26 PM

Mountain Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Horde models are fine.
No, they're pretty awful.

There's nothing cool or heroic about running around like a goddamn arthritic caveman. It curves chestplates so you barely see them, makes pauldrons constantly bend at bad angles, and means headpieces don't so much sit on your head but awkwardly hang off it.

Any aesthetic that does work for the Horde would benefit from models that can actually stand up straight. It's -hilarious- that armor of any type looks better on a blood elf or a goblin then it does an orc or troll. And don't even start on the bone bags.

Speaking of, yeah, pretty good short story. Curious about the last line, "something something regret." It'd be pretty easy to say that the cousin killing is what pushed him over the edge... but you gotta wonder. His new form apparently had improved senses, guy was smelling his co-workers a lot better. Maybe the transformation jogged some more of those pesky emotions loose in the process too. Tighter connection between soul and body etc...

Could be an interesting twist.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:32 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Horde models are fine.
/slaps Levi across the face with a raw halibut.

Don't you say such vile lies to my face or it'll be pistols at dawn sir!

EDIT:

Holy cow, Hi Liuv how've you been?

My Worldbuilding:

Last edited by Mutterscrawl; 04-18-2017 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: Holy Cow Liuv is back.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:42 PM

Mountain Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post

Holy cow, Hi Liuv how've you been?
Been alright. Indeterminately creeping around this place. Y'all are way too salty for a direct infusion.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:11 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liuv View Post
No, they're pretty awful.

There's nothing cool or heroic about running around like a goddamn arthritic caveman. It curves chestplates so you barely see them, makes pauldrons constantly bend at bad angles, and means headpieces don't so much sit on your head but awkwardly hang off it.

Any aesthetic that does work for the Horde would benefit from models that can actually stand up straight. It's -hilarious- that armor of any type looks better on a blood elf or a goblin then it does an orc or troll. And don't even start on the bone bags.

Speaking of, yeah, pretty good short story. Curious about the last line, "something something regret." It'd be pretty easy to say that the cousin killing is what pushed him over the edge... but you gotta wonder. His new form apparently had improved senses, guy was smelling his co-workers a lot better. Maybe the transformation jogged some more of those pesky emotions loose in the process too. Tighter connection between soul and body etc...

Could be an interesting twist.
A reddit post way back summed up how I feel about people that whine about how they want Horde models to stand like humans. It was basically just the human model but in green, blue and etc. In the end I like the Horde models and it's alright for people to have different opinions than you.

Last edited by Leviathon; 04-19-2017 at 12:24 AM..
Old 04-19-2017, 12:12 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liuv View Post
Been alright. Indeterminately creeping around this place.

Y'all are way too salty for a direct infusion.
Ah cool.

This is true.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 04-19-2017, 02:44 AM

Banished

Quote:
Horde models are fine.
The Orcs and Forsaken -should- have the option of non-hunchback models.

Tauren need a fair bit more facial variety, and a few more Horn/Broken Horn/Nosering combos wouldn't be a bad idea. This also applies to the Forsaken's decay options, too many don't give the option of mixing and matching. (Races in general suffer this issue but it's most noticeable on Forsaken)

Goblins (and Worgen with them) do need updating to the level of everyone else.

So, no, tbh. They're really not fine.

Anyway back to the topic at hand:

One thing I really liked about this one was it highlighted something that, in-game, has been utterly glossed over/ignored outright for years: That the Forsaken are, ultimately, doomed. They continue to decay and rot, and the Val'kyr can't do what they've done for Nathanos for the rest, that's made absolutely clear, and Sylvanas wouldn't allow them to anyway given they are all that's stopping her from going to WoW-Hell.

In the short term, they can continue to raise the odd Human corpse that the Alliance don't cremate, that's true, but as we've already had established: Not every newly raised Undead will join the Forsaken (see their starting area) many kill themselves on the spot or flatly refuse to serve Sylvanas.

Long term? They can't keep their numbers up and have no means of stopping their own decay/final death.

It's not something we'll ever see addressed in WoW's lifetime, but I'm curious, way down the line, how Blizzard deal with them. I really hope they don't fall back on some shitty cliche "OH LOL IT'S FINE GUYS, MAGIC FIXED IT, THEY DON'T ROT ANYMORE!" but I wouldn't be suprised.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:01 AM

The Knight-Lord

I loved this short story. My only gripe is this: this story was a great opportunity to explain the red eye glow; and maybe even the general Forsaken's golden eye glow.

The story fed us a lot of clarification and answers on Forsaken biology, which was frankly WAY too overdue, but it skipped an explanation on the eyes.

Why do Sylvanas, all of her Dark Rangers and Nathanos' eyes glow red? What's the significance?

On another point, on the remote chance that Sylvanas' story is closer to its end than it is its beginning, and Nathanos does become the next leader of the Forsaken, then that changes everything for Lor'themar and the Blood Elves. Was the mention of Lor'themar essentially fan service, or is it foreshadowing things to come?

Sylvanas, deep down, seems to still hold strong feelings of stewardship for Quel'thalas. Nathanos, on the other hand, doesn't seem to care, and he personally hates the kingdom's current Regent Lord.

It could be a very interesting political landscape for the eastern horde, in years (or even months?) to come...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
I hope you get raped harder than an African woman during ethnic cleansing
- Noitora, "A Couple of Illidan Spoilers" Thread (Pg. 17; Post #339)

Last edited by Darkphoenix; 04-19-2017 at 05:13 AM..
Old 04-19-2017, 05:47 AM

Eternal

I like how the leadership at Quel'thalas is Sylvanas' bitch whether in life or undeath.

We need to have a story about the "spirits" supposedly telling Vol'jin to name Sylvanas Warchief. Maybe he was just smoking some weed mon.

Watch my Warcraft 3 stuff in either YouTube, BitChute, DailyMotion, DTube, FruitLab, or Brighteon.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:51 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Undead Icon (War3)

A little known fact is that Vol'jin always worshipped the ground Sylvanas walked on, for she was a spirit and deserved his complete devotion.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:11 AM

Eternal

I wonder which thought is scarier: that Blizzard will eventually "humanize" Forsaken models or that Lirath Windrunner also had a taste for Human MEN.

Watch my Warcraft 3 stuff in either YouTube, BitChute, DailyMotion, DTube, FruitLab, or Brighteon.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ujimasa Hojo View Post
I wonder which thought is scarier: that Blizzard will eventually "humanize" Forsaken models or that Lirath Windrunner also had a taste for Human MEN.
He could just have done what the other three Windrunner brothers did, get himself polymorphed into a Windrunner sister.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:47 AM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
I think it's still possible they did.

He just... Doesn't care to remember. Everything that happened before was to 'other people'.
Wow, that's actually fucking sad.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:55 AM

Arch-Druid

So, is Nathanos possessing his cousin's body or did his cousin's skin and organs get added to his own? I couldn't really tell.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
So, is Nathanos possessing his cousin's body or did his cousin's skin and organs get added to his own? I couldn't really tell.
I think it's the latter and he's some kind of chimera.

Tags
alien shadow ghosts, hot zombie action, literature, raw meat left in the sun, sylvanas is so hot, undead are not lordaeron, warcraft