Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #476  
Old 10-16-2011, 05:44 AM
Lon-ami Lon-ami is offline

Elune
Lon-ami's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Spain
Posts: 12,559
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gortrash View Post
Varian totally needs more scars on his face... specifically, his chin. I'm just saiyan.
__________________


Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Reply With Quote
  #477  
Old 10-16-2011, 10:34 AM
Nimbosa Nimbosa is offline

Demon Hunter
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 456

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
We have confirmation from Wolfheart from straight the horse's mouth.

While running through Ashenvale, Varian notes he's running much faster than he possibly could, ever. Even if that speed only affects his legs, that translates into some amount of combat advantage.
i COULD counter with "well maybe goldrinn only boosted his speed before the fight because he wanted to let varian fight by himself" but as you say

Quote:
a character's strength is in direct corrolation with how strong the plot requires him to be.
Reply With Quote
  #478  
Old 10-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Shaman Shaman is offline

Site Staff - Admin
Shaman's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The Barrens
Posts: 12,448

Default

Stop this! You people stop this right now!
Reply With Quote
  #479  
Old 10-16-2011, 11:02 AM
Frostwolf Frostwolf is offline

Elune
Frostwolf's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7,442

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbosa View Post
i COULD counter with "well maybe goldrinn only boosted his speed before the fight because he wanted to let varian fight by himself"
Except there was nothing to indicate that Goldrinn's blessing had worn off during the battle. Actually, the story seems to indicate the opposite.
Reply With Quote
  #480  
Old 10-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Royalpimp Royalpimp is offline

Eternal
Royalpimp's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,577

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
Stop this! You people stop this right now!
OH NO THE HOEROR.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
And Lordaeron

ffs I'm the only one who cares aren't I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
And that is the Drama to being part of the Horde. There are people out there who want you dead. You honestly can’t blame them. Do you lie down and die for them? No. You enjoy the challenge. You keep your head up and move forward.
Reply With Quote
  #481  
Old 10-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Euphemialibritannia Euphemialibritannia is offline

Hypersensitive
Euphemialibritannia's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,866

Default

Fight my children, FIGHT!!!1!!1!
__________________
"Just the completely unfounded and irrational fear that one day *this* is going to happen!"
Reply With Quote
  #482  
Old 10-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Nimbosa Nimbosa is offline

Demon Hunter
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 456

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmictimelion View Post
Except there was nothing to indicate that Goldrinn's blessing had worn off during the battle. Actually, the story seems to indicate the opposite.
it is ENTIRELY POSSIBLE that goldrinn removed the speed part and left varian with just stamina. YOU CAN'T PROVE ME WRONG~
Reply With Quote
  #483  
Old 10-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Erthad Erthad is offline

Elune
Erthad's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Stromgarde
Posts: 9,543

Footman

Ok I think this is stupid now.

Well does anyone else think that we will see more from the other characters in the story like Marcus?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #484  
Old 10-16-2011, 12:26 PM
HalfElfDragon HalfElfDragon is offline

The draconic Titleless - Mod
HalfElfDragon's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 15,545
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Default

Doubtful. I think we just saw them in this story because it took place in Stormwind City, not because they'll be used in the future.
__________________
Quote:
Lucio Benado be wanting to say, Hey, what's up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Reply With Quote
  #485  
Old 10-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Saranus Saranus is offline

Elune
Saranus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 5,695
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Default

Or to put it another way: they may be used in the future, but it won't be because of this story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
[IMG]
Also, l2meme.
__________________
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Reply With Quote
  #486  
Old 10-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Frostwolf Frostwolf is offline

Elune
Frostwolf's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7,442

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbosa View Post
it is ENTIRELY POSSIBLE that goldrinn removed the speed part and left varian with just stamina. YOU CAN'T PROVE ME WRONG~
Sure, it's possible.

Is it likely? "Heehee, I'm going to bless him then remove 25% of the blessing and let him keep the other 75% heeehee I'm Goldrinn heehee."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphemialibritannia View Post
Fight my children, FIGHT!!!1!!1!
Yes, My Rordu!

Arru Heirru Burritannia!
Reply With Quote
  #487  
Old 10-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Euphemialibritannia Euphemialibritannia is offline

Hypersensitive
Euphemialibritannia's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,866

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmictimelion View Post
Yes, My Rordu!

Arru Heirru Burritannia!
__________________
"Just the completely unfounded and irrational fear that one day *this* is going to happen!"
Reply With Quote
  #488  
Old 10-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 22,046
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

It's totally because Goldrinn gave it to a human that doesn't know how to use it over a potential Worgen leader *cough cough* that actually KNOWS his own damned connection with the wolf beast and can channel his rage much better.

The only thing I wonder is if anyone would call mary sue on a Worgen possessing such blessings over a human.
Reply With Quote
  #489  
Old 10-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Frostwolf Frostwolf is offline

Elune
Frostwolf's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7,442

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimtale View Post
It's totally because Goldrinn gave it to a human that doesn't know how to use it over a potential Worgen leader *cough cough* that actually KNOWS his own damned connection with the wolf beast and can channel his rage much better.

The only thing I wonder is if anyone would call mary sue on a Worgen possessing such blessings over a human.
I think a demigod "favoring" any specific mortal and granting them superhero powers is a tad Sue-ish. Thrall is literally best friends with the Aspects. I'm not happy about that, either. I wish all these stupid demigods, immortals, and dragons, would just drop dead and leave the fate of the world in the hands of mortals, as Medivh said it has always been.
Reply With Quote
  #490  
Old 10-16-2011, 01:51 PM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 22,046
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

Well, I personally don't think Goldrinn is THAT powerful. He's probably the closest to the most grounded Ancient of the bunch and given that he's the black sheep I would say he takes that up in stride. He also has a lot of flaws that make him seem less sue-ish, such as giving in to his own rage. Not to mention that Hyjal showed how easy he was to subdue.

I've always viewed him as an Ancient that's more about using cunning, strategy, wit, and a warrior's honor to overcome an enemy over using sheer power. It's only too bad that he's been written more as a raging berserker who just kills things 24/7. (Of course I'm mostly just getting the whole cunning and wit thing from the descriptions given from his admirers, these traits do mark a good warrior in battle.)
Reply With Quote
  #491  
Old 10-16-2011, 04:24 PM
Nimbosa Nimbosa is offline

Demon Hunter
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 456

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmictimelion View Post
Sure, it's possible.

Is it likely? "Heehee, I'm going to bless him then remove 25% of the blessing and let him keep the other 75% heeehee I'm Goldrinn heehee."
well, if goldrinn wanted him to continuously prove himself, helping him too much would hinder that. like "ok, i helped with the non-warrior part in getting you here, now go kick ass."

in any case, i reject your speculation and substitute my own.
Reply With Quote
  #492  
Old 10-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Frostwolf Frostwolf is offline

Elune
Frostwolf's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7,442

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbosa View Post
well, if goldrinn wanted him to continuously prove himself, helping him too much would hinder that. like "ok, i helped with the non-warrior part in getting you here, now go kick ass."

in any case, i reject your speculation and substitute my own.
Pretty sure Varian already "proved himself" to Goldrinn. Kind of the reason he was blessed in the first place.

I'm not speculating, though. You are.
Reply With Quote
  #493  
Old 10-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Ganishka Ganishka is offline

Elune
Ganishka's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Richland, WA
Posts: 8,297
BattleTag: Ganishka #1520

Default

The story was okay. I liked most of it, outside of the references to in-game abilities, which was groan inducing.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Baras
A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowordfun
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.
Reply With Quote
  #494  
Old 10-16-2011, 05:32 PM
Ancai Ancai is offline

Huntress
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 47

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmictimelion View Post
Pretty sure Varian already "proved himself" to Goldrinn. Kind of the reason he was blessed in the first place.

I'm not speculating, though. You are.
Maybe he'll want Varian to *keep* proving himself. I wonder if being too non-ragey/non-aggressive would lose him favour?
__________________
Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam. - I have a catapult. Give me all the money or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.
Reply With Quote
  #495  
Old 10-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Frostwolf Frostwolf is offline

Elune
Frostwolf's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7,442

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancai View Post
Maybe he'll want Varian to *keep* proving himself. I wonder if being too non-ragey/non-aggressive would lose him favour?
Meh, I doubt it. You can't find a reference to Goldrinn without a mention of his awe-inspiring fury! Rawr!
Reply With Quote
  #496  
Old 10-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Ganishka Ganishka is offline

Elune
Ganishka's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Richland, WA
Posts: 8,297
BattleTag: Ganishka #1520

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmictimelion View Post
Meh, I doubt it. You can't find a reference to Goldrinn without a mention of his awe-inspiring fury! Rawr!
That, or the fact that he is voiced Tigetron.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Baras
A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowordfun
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.
Reply With Quote
  #497  
Old 10-17-2011, 01:07 AM
Molakar Molakar is offline

Archer
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 33

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganishka View Post
The story was okay. I liked most of it, outside of the references to in-game abilities, which was groan inducing.
That's almost my opinion too. If they could have polished the fight scene a little more and leave out the references to in-game abilities I'd rank it higher than I do now. Right now it's a tie between Varian and Baine in the "what racial leader has the worst short story"-contest.
Reply With Quote
  #498  
Old 10-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Nimbosa Nimbosa is offline

Demon Hunter
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 456

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmictimelion View Post
Pretty sure Varian already "proved himself" to Goldrinn. Kind of the reason he was blessed in the first place.
did i forget the "continuously"?

...nope, it's in there

Quote:
I'm not speculating, though. You are.
your speculation is more likely, but it's technically still speculation. you yourself said it's possible and that's all i need.
Reply With Quote
  #499  
Old 10-17-2011, 09:15 AM
Frostwolf Frostwolf is offline

Elune
Frostwolf's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7,442

Default

Yes, it's possible in the sense that Varian shits out gnoll heads every time he goes to take a dump.
Reply With Quote
  #500  
Old 10-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Cantus Cantus is offline

Ethermancer - Admin
Cantus's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MD, U.S.
Posts: 11,127
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Not that I expect you to actually listen to any of this, what with being a fanboy.
Fojar, how about we play nice...as in I'm nicely asking you to stop with the ad hominem crap for a final time. You and I both know it's polite flaming, so you and I both know it's still not allowed.
__________________

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.