Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 05-01-2010, 02:29 PM

Elune

Default Cataclysm Screenshot of the Day

Welcome back, SoL. Figured something that would be of interest to talk about would happen when this place was down.

Better late than never, though.

Anyway, I'm sure most of you have seen how Blizzard is using the Screenshot of the Day venue to show off some shots of Cataclysm.

First up was the Gilgoblin
. Nothing earthshattering, I think, but nice to look at.

But then yesterday's was what Bornakk said to be some part of the Blasted Lands. Personally, I think he's just joking (wouldn't be the first time a Blue has given what seems to be a real answer only for it to be a joke. Remember "ICC has 31 bosses"?). Was wondering what you all think. The lamps are definitely Gilnean in design (you can see similar in other screenshots) and I think it is somewhere in Gilneas. For it to be the Blasted Lands...I just can't fathom it. Even with similar places, like Desolace, becoming all full of life, I don't see how that could be the Blasted Lands.

Anyway, to wrap this up, there's this shot of somewhere in Tirisfal (the elven statue interests me) and a shot of the Swamp of Sorrows.

Wonder if they'll show off the new druid skins or female worgen through this, too.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:47 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

I doubt the new one is really somewhere in the Blasted Lands. It looks rather similar to the Wetlands to me. The gilgoblin looks cool. Can't wait to kill a ass-load of them. The Tirisfal one looks like it's near Brill. Nothing special, really. Same for Swamp of Sorrows.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:47 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakiba View Post

First up was the Gilgoblin
. Nothing earthshattering, I think, but nice to look at.
I think the GG’s appearance in the sunken city and the generally ragged look about them implies the theory that they are goblin evolutionary offshoots that we’re only now discovering. Too bad, I like my theory about genetic engineering.

Quote:
But then yesterday's was what Bornakk said to be some part of the Blasted Lands. Personally, I think he's just joking (wouldn't be the first time a Blue has given what seems to be a real answer only for it to be a joke. Remember "ICC has 31 bosses"?). Was wondering what you all think. The lamps are definitely Gilnean in design (you can see similar in other screenshots) and I think it is somewhere in Gilneas. For it to be the Blasted Lands...I just can't fathom it. Even with similar places, like Desolace, becoming all full of life, I don't see how that could be the Blasted Lands.
I do recall hearing about a Worgen area in the Blasted Lands. This may be it.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:53 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil View Post
I do recall hearing about a Worgen area in the Blasted Lands. This may be it.
I do recall that, but, memory serves, it is supposed to be in the Tainted Scar. I can expect it to be cleaned up a bit, but to be changed from the annihilated, desolate wasteland it is now to that, I just have a hard time buying it. Guess I'll have to wait to find out for sure.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:09 PM

Elune

Quote:
I do recall that, but, memory serves, it is supposed to be in the Tainted Scar. I can expect it to be cleaned up a bit, but to be changed from the annihilated, desolate wasteland it is now to that, I just have a hard time buying it. Guess I'll have to wait to find out for sure.
Well, the tainted scar is in the Blasted Lands, after all.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:48 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

from mmo champion forums

Old 05-01-2010, 04:51 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Really no reason why Bornakk would lie about it. They mentioned during the dev chat that some zones would be unrecognizable and Blasted Lands was marked as a red zone.

The Swamp of Sorrows screenshot is a bit disappointing since it shows nothing new. You wouldn't even be able to tell it's a Cataclysm screenshot it if weren't for the water.

Last edited by Leviathon; 05-01-2010 at 05:15 PM..
Old 05-01-2010, 04:56 PM

Arch-Druid

Yeah. I think the mean reason for the misbelieve, is the fact that the the zone has changed greater than everyone has expected. On the other hand, I don't think this will be the last big surprise to see. Remember, this world isn't the same anymore.

By the way:

http://www.wow-europe.com/cataclysm/...echoisles.html

Only for completion of new screenshots. Can`t really say muvcch about it, since I play alliance, but I think troll fans will rejoice.

Last edited by Vineyard; 05-01-2010 at 05:02 PM..
Old 05-01-2010, 05:31 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
from mmo champion forums
Huh. Ok, that got me then. Damn, the Blasted Lands really does get modified.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:42 PM

Elune

Well, the Blasted lands used to look like the Swamp of Sorrows when it was the Black Morass. It was the Dark Portal that screwed it all up. They may have finally secured it, and they have probably got some control on the demon infestation in the area. If the Cataclysm drops some fresh water into the region, its conceivable that it could start to spring up again – like Desolace.

Of course, they could pull the “it was always like that” card. Didn’t you know Akama always looked like a Broken?
Old 05-01-2010, 05:50 PM

Elune

I suppose so. I guess given how green Desolace looked, I shouldn't be surprised that even the Blasted Lands could be reverted. Just didn't expect it to happen anytime soon, heh.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:01 PM

Eternal

So it seems the Black Morass is back.
Xie wants YOU to check Wulfang brainchild RIGHT NOW. SO click on this text
Old 05-01-2010, 06:47 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

I hope it still looks 'Blasted' for most of the zone, and that that's just the Tainted Scar's new look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 05-01-2010, 07:24 PM

Elune

Trees sure grow fast on Azeroth when water is introduced.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:51 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandius View Post
Trees sure grow fast on Azeroth when water is introduced.
The Worgen DO have druids, ya'know. They could've easily regrown those trees.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:03 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
The Worgen DO have druids, ya'know. They could've easily regrown those trees.
If they are really going to be in that area it is possible.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:48 AM

Arch-Druid

Quite frankly, I believe Bornakk (and the above mountains are a proof that he's telling the truth). I think the reason why most are in denial is because nobody expected the zone to go from uniform texture random height terrain to Nagrand mk.II.

This shot is also interesing as it shows Tirisfall Glades (green) with new forsaken architecture.

In my opinion, this shows just how huge the Cataclysm changes will be in some zones and that even if a zone was tagged green, we should expect considerable changes.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:55 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Don't take mountain structure as a surefire sign of where things are. They've outright said they'll be changing everything including adding coastlines and breaking down some of the more forced barriers between zones. Think about it this way, the only reason they had mountains chains around every zone was to give people a leveling path and make sure people didn't get into areas they weren't supposed to. That said, now that there are flying mounts the devs can no longer rely on this artifice to keep things separate and will probably remove some of the more outright ugly barriers they've kept up for so many years.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:02 AM

Elune

It's good to be back, forum!

On a slightly related note: About the whole "barren zones becoming lush and full of life one again" topic brought up in this thread, this got me thinking and I remembered seeing a druid NPC roaming the Argent Tournament grounds (can't remember the name now, sorry, if I see him again i'll be sure to update my post with his name), basically saying something along the lines of "All life has long abandoned the Icecrown Glacier, but I'm sure that with enough effort vegetation can grow once again", indicating that there are plans already going on (lore-wise, not developer-wise ) to turn Icecrown green again (if it ever was). In my opinion, this shows 2 important things. First, given enough dedication, it seems druids can grow trees just about anywhere. And, second, more importantly, looks like Blizzard intend to keep modifying zones in the future as they become "old" and new expansions are released.
And btw, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't something similar attempted by the Earthen Ring shamans/Cenarion Circle druids at Light's Hope Chapel trying to restore the Eastern Plaguelands?
Old 05-02-2010, 11:07 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gortrash View Post
It's good to be back, forum!

On a slightly related note: About the whole "barren zones becoming lush and full of life one again" topic brought up in this thread, this got me thinking and I remembered seeing a druid NPC roaming the Argent Tournament grounds (can't remember the name now, sorry, if I see him again i'll be sure to update my post with his name), basically saying something along the lines of "All life has long abandoned the Icecrown Glacier, but I'm sure that with enough effort vegetation can grow once again", indicating that there are plans already going on (lore-wise, not developer-wise ) to turn Icecrown green again (if it ever was). In my opinion, this shows 2 important things. First, given enough dedication, it seems druids can grow trees just about anywhere. And, second, more importantly, looks like Blizzard intend to keep modifying zones in the future as they become "old" and new expansions are released.
And btw, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't something similar attempted by the Earthen Ring shamans/Cenarion Circle druids at Light's Hope Chapel trying to restore the Eastern Plaguelands?
gosh i hope not a frozen wasteland is not the ideal place to get plants growing..., now i'm starting to think druids are becoming obessed with defying nature...
Old 05-02-2010, 11:30 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
gosh i hope not a frozen wasteland is not the ideal place to get plants growing..., now i'm starting to think druids are becoming obessed with defying nature...
Even in a frozen tundra there should be some forms of life. I would imagine the druids would be interested in reviving the lifeforms that were removed by the scourge not by the cold.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:30 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Don't take mountain structure as a surefire sign of where things are. They've outright said they'll be changing everything including adding coastlines and breaking down some of the more forced barriers between zones. Think about it this way, the only reason they had mountains chains around every zone was to give people a leveling path and make sure people didn't get into areas they weren't supposed to. That said, now that there are flying mounts the devs can no longer rely on this artifice to keep things separate and will probably remove some of the more outright ugly barriers they've kept up for so many years.
They are still keeping a lot of the mountains it seems. The main areas where the mountains are disappearing is when there is a huge chunk of mountain and un-used area (Hi Stonetalon) or when they want to add in something new such as the Blasted Lands coastline. STV for example will probably extend into the mountain area that was meant for the original ZG zone (when it was going to be a leveling zone).

There may be flying mounts allowed in the old world now but it isn't like you will be able to fly at all when leveling in the old world for 1-60 so the mountains will still serve the same purpose. The exact matchup for the mountains gives it away instantly just since you'd have a hell of a time trying to find places that match that anywhere else considering how randomly Blizzard placed mountains in vanilla WoW.

Last edited by Leviathon; 05-02-2010 at 11:34 AM..
Old 05-02-2010, 12:25 PM

Eternal

Right now all those "should not be accessable" mountains are filled with holes and different and plain textures etc.

In the Tainted Scar screenshot you can see a Stranglethorn-styled tree in the background.

Also I didn't know ZG was supposed to be a leveling zone. :S
I do know that there was supposed to be the Tainted Lands and the Black Morass in WoW vanilla.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:33 PM

Treant

The Tirisfal Glades screenshot shows a fortified Brill. The elf statue and the temple looking thing in the distance are new and interesting. We might possibly see more co-operation between the blood elves and the forsaken in Cataclysm. Perhaps the temple in the distance is a part of the newly built ground side of the Undercity?
Old 05-02-2010, 01:40 PM

Eternal

The dome thing in the disance is part of the new Zeppelin tower. There is also a small tower from the Ruins of Lordaeron there.

Dark rangers will probably be related to Undead hunters so I am not suprised to see a Ranger statue.