Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 11-18-2010, 04:08 PM

Elune

Default Dev Chat with Brack and Chilton

Hey guys, I'm in the dev chat right now. I'm going to be posting questions and answers here. Note that I'm going to be updating this as fast as I can, excuse any typos and the like.

Q. Will the heirloom items scale to 85?
A. The current plan is to have heirloom items stop at level 80 at the moment.

Q. I was wondering what new and exciting mounts there will be and what your favorite so far is?
A. Not surprisingly there are all kinds of new mounts, we have spectral wolf/horse mounts, a dark phoenix, a camel, the new alchemy mount that turns you into a drake can ride, among others. Also a scorpion for the horde and a lion for the alliance.

My favorite has to be the camel though...I mean, who doesn't want to be a camel jockey?! (All answers have been from Chilton thus far, this included)

Q. Right now, up to 50% of ignite damage disappears due to the technical limitations of spells critting within certain timeframes. This has implications for Mage DPS and the value of Mastery as a stat. Is overall damage being balanced to compensate and can we expect a solution in the near future?
A. We're resolving that by rolling up any "lost" ignite damage into the next ignite that overwrote it.

Q. Has blizzard considered adding a "Tabards Tab" to the UI, so that tabard collectors can switch out tabards more effectively without having to take up bank and bag space?
A. hi, we have talked about adding a tabard tab. We've talked about doing a closet tab to handle it. It isn't something w are adding for Cataclysm though. (Brack)

Q. Will it be as long of a wait to fight Deathwing as it was for Lich King
A. Hopefully not, we definitely have a goal to get our content patches out more quickly than we have in the past, without sacrificing quality of course, we plan for Deathwing to be the most amazing encounter we've ever made!

Q. Are there any plans to potentially add queuing to the rated battlegrounds instead of it having to be a pre-made raid team? I was excited when I first heard about this feature, but after reading the FAQ I was a bit disappointed with that design.
A. We're currently looking into the possibility of having players in the honor battleground queue be able to be called to action by groups that aren't quite full but we're going to see how the current queuing works out first. So that isn't something that would be available just yet.

Q. Will you allow players to fill their quest log with say, 25 dailies, and then turn them in right after Midnight on 12/7 to get a quick boost towards 85? This is how it worked in beta, but some players are confused on whether it will work on Live.
A. Regarding 25 daily quests to turn in when the expansion goes live, this is something players have been able to do for the last 2 expansions and we aren't talking about changing it now.

Q. is hit rating intended to tramp all other stats but Str for Fury till the 27% hardcap? Seems excessive.
A. Generally speaking, we do balance hit rating to be the "best" stat until you are at the hit rating cap.

Q. I understand the decision from an economic perspective but I was wondering if the developers were disappointed in the decision to allow race changes immediately following the release of the expansion.
A. Regarding allowing race/faction changes on day one. Actually this wasn't an economic decision at all. This was a decision that the leadership team made. Our priority as a dev team is to allow players to play the game with their friends the way the want to. We also talked about the fact that this is a week one problem, so we made the decision to not restrict anything....but now that Deathwing is doing his thing it makes much more sense than it used to!
(Gods, my fingers are getting a serious workout with this! - me)

Q. Will darnassus be rebuilt to be a real tree or will it always look like a dead stump with trees on top?
A. Deathwing hates trees (Zarhym)

Q. A lot of players I know are trying ot plan out what characters to roll for the new expansion, and the big question is: Will there by ANY new realms tagging along with the release of Cataclysm? Some point to low pop realms as a reason against but surely with the redux'd 1-60 experience adn the droves of returning players desiring clean slates, there has never been ab etter time for a fresh realm or two?
A. We haven't decided exactly what the new realm decisions are yet, but we open new realms when there is player demand for them. One thing we can't do is plan all realms for day one. The goal is for realms to have good concurrency so everyone has a great game/matchmaking experience.

Q. Could you comment on the plan for raids in Cataclysm? If i remember it was said that there would be smaller raids in cata but more of them. Would that mean like two small raids per patch or more patches in total?
A. The idea is that we'll have more raid environments, but fewer bosses in each environment, but a similar total number of raid bosses overall...if that makes sense

So, for cataclysm launch we have the skywall environment, the twilight bastion environment, and blackwing descent. versus having almost all the bosses in one environment like we did with naxrammas. (Chilton)

Q. With the changes to the game environment itself, what new computer requirements will be optimal to run the game smoothly?
A. One of the things that is really important ot us is a great gaming experience regardless of your hardware. While the system requirements do go up over time, we do want the experience on slower machines to be great. We do this by trying to add a lot of graphical options to allow players to control the experience from "Runs fast" all the way to "looks great."

Q. Will there be more than one legendary weapon in Cata? Will there be a caster DPS legendary?
A. It's likely there will be more than one legendary weapon, although its too early to say for sure. We do, however, have a plan to do a caster staff soon.

Q. Where did Uldum come from (SERIOUSLY?! - me)
A. Egypt (Chilton)

The idea with Uldum is that it has always been there, cloaked from the eyes of the players, blah blah blah (we've heard this before)

Q. With resource systems now broadened to include focus, rage, energy, and ruinic power as well as mana, and there being conditionals like engrages, holy power, combo points, and runes, will classes that just use mana be getting similar treatment or remaining as they are?
A. Really the decision is made on a class-by-class, tree-by-tree basis. If we feel like the talent spec in question needs a broader resource management, then we do it, but if we don't like to unnecessarily complicate a spec's resource management if it isn't absolutely necessary.

Q. Is the moonkin form for troll and worgen on the beta nad ptr the final form or is just a placeholder?
A. Final!

Q. Why is it that we are not able to use Archaeology before the expansion? I thought it was really cool how you guys released inscription last time and would love to have the opportunity to level it before the expansion drops (*groan* - me)
A. Using arch. before the expansion was something we talked about, but ended up adding everything about the profession to the "post sundered" world. Thus, you won't' be able to us arch. before the sundering happens.

Q. The first tier of cataclysm raiding has 3 separate instances to tackle. Are you guys planning on keeping the TBC model (SSC/TK, BT/Hyjal) and having multiple instances per raid tier? Will Deathwing have to share the spotlight with some other instance?
A. We'll evaluate that on a tier by tier basis. When we have awesome ideas that we can successfully make happen we'll do multi environs, but it won't be necessary the case

We do have a super cool idea for the Deathwing tier though...we hope

Q. Are there any plans for a new Lock mount?
A. One of the things we look at with mounts is broad appeal. While we do specific class mounts from time to time, most of the time we look to have mounts that all classes can use.

Q. What happened with the Worgen district in Stormwind? (Yay, my question!)
A. We decided it didn't really fit very well, it was looking kind of awkwardly forced into the city. Plus, Deathwing would have destroyed it anyway (boo - me)

Q. As the world of Azeroth is changing, I was wondering if the DK zone will stay the same or will it also be affected by the Cataclysm?
A. no changes.

Q. I have been confused with the different posts for tier gear. Will there be 3 levels within each tier still or just heroic and normal and in either case will you just be getting them with points or will you still have to get certain things off drops off certain bosses to get higher more heroic versions of the tier gear (ugh, seriously, it isn't that hard to figure out... - me)
A. There is still just normal and heroic difficulty for the raid/dungeon content, and the heroic gear has a higher item level than the corresponding normal gear (...)

Q. Do you feel faction imbalance is a problem at the moment? My queue is around 10-15 minutes at prime time as a member of the Horde and I know this is the case on at least two other battlegroups. If so, do you think the Worgen will fix the problem? And if they do not, will free faction changes ever be a possibility in the future on battlegroups or servers with a major problem?
A. We are working on some technology to further combine the pvp queues at server sites. This has been going on behind the scenes for a few weeks now in preparation for Cataclysm. Queue time is one of those things that gets a lot of attention and time, but will change significantly post Cata.

Q. What would you say was the hardest/easiest parts of developing this expansion? After all, many are saying this is the best expansion to date...so what was the biggest challenge/easiest feat?
A. There have been huge challenges with this expansion, unlike any we've seen in the other two. The scale of Cataclysm is huge for us, and something we didn't really expect at the start of development. But we certainly feel like the effort has been worth it and this is the best expansion thus far.

Q. Why does the scorpion mount not have a guild flag where the lion does? I was hoping to see Hordes of scorpions from our guild walking around with our tabard hanging from the tail like a flag behind them.
A. When riding a scorpion mount, your character display's holding a large standard with your guild symbol on it.

Q. Why did you decide to make 310% mount speed purchasable in 4.0? it's a huge price for such a tiny speed upgrade, and used to work well as a just-above-vanity perk for people who complete the toughest ach.
A. The primary reason was to equalize the awesome vanity mounts players had and change the mechanic to one where you used the mount you were most excited about using. We wanted players to be able to see the mount players want, without considering the speed differential as a factor.

Q. Will you allow players to change the login screen?
A. No. (condensed answer here, but it equals "No")

Q. How would a person get a guild mount? Would it be guild rep? If so how would that be calculated or obtained? (*Groan*)
A. Once your guild, blah blah blah we know this.

Q. Will heirlooms work for goblins/worgens leveling 1-80?
A. Yes (Again, *groan*)

Q. Has there been any discussion of changing the heirloom items to true BoA instead of the bind on server limitation it has currently?
A. That is something we would like to do. Currently the servers mail carriers refuse to work together, and haven't worked out the economic terms from transferring mail from one server to another. One day we hope to resolve the union issues.

(God I need some music to help me not rage at some of these idiots...)

Q. Will the option ever be available to change ones class, contingent upon what's currently available to the race restrictions at the time? (Huh, used "contingent." Some intelligence!)
A. Never say never, but we don't currently have plans to do that.

Q. There's any through about making account wise achievements? It is a problem keeping some from rerolling alts. (I am not typing the rest of what he said, its all boils down to the above)
A. We do have plans to solve this problem, as it is limiting people from rerolling for sure. That is something we want to solve, but don't have a good solution at this time.

Q. Was there anything you guys regret not being able to include at launch? Possibly something that didn't have enough polish to it that we may seeing the future? You don't have to mention the Dance Studio at this point, really, its ok.
A. Well, there is the dance studio There are of course always things we'd hope to get into any patch/expansion that gets pushed out until later. One example would be the idea to have a built-in atlas. We're not super happy about the fact that the first time anyone encounters a boss, the only way to learn about it (aside from looking it up online) is to charge in and die a lot.

("It's great to see how engaged you all are with this seriously rad game series!" Best Buy person quote. Ugh)

Q. Do honor points/badges roll over into Cata?
A. Yes. (oy vey)

Q. is there any talks of maybe some faction cooperative campaigns? (Condensed question, no fucking way I'm typing up all those ideas)
A. This is a common request, but not something ware looking to do. While there is a singular main bad guy this expansion, Horde/Alliance have their own unique challenges and agendas, and typically don't look to team up. This is world of warcraft, not world of peacecraft.

Q. When designing expansions and content patches, do you have a list of new features to choose from that are planned out in advanced or is there more of a brain storm sessions?
A. The feature set for each patch is determined by a combination of doing things/finishing things that we've been wanting to do for a while along with completely new ideas that emerge as a result of the immediate needs of the game.

Q. What kinds of things won't you be able to do if you don't upgrade? (GRAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHH)
A. Fly, worgen/goblins, new areas, level 85.

Q. Will the 80-85 experience be closer to the 18 hour mark or the 5 day mark that was 70-80?
A. That totally depends on the player to be honest, you'd be amazed by the differences in play patterns. That being said, somebody usually finds a way to level up very quickly.

Q. What new feature(s) in Cata are you most proud of?
A. I would have to say the 1-60 revamp, its a ton of fun to play through the zones and an incredible amount of new content (Chilton)

I'm most happy with the Worgen/Goblin starting experiences (Brack)

I'm most proud of J. and Tom (Zarhym)

Q. Why not have this latest expansion as a new territory like a "Southrend" similar to Northrend or a moon body like outlands instead of destroy azeroth and kalimdor? Were there limitations to expanding outwards or was this just to facelift the original game (I am pretty sure we've had the answer to this for ages, man!)
A. We make decisions on a case-by case basis, old world needed an overhaul, blah blah blah.

Q. Can you clarify and confirm what will be available to players when 4.0.3a hits and will be unavailable until 12/7? (Seriously?)
A. 4.0.3a has 1-60 leveling and new class/race combos (duh)

Q. Is there an alternative mount for worgens that other races can ride?
A. Worgen can ride other mounts, they're not limited to their feral run (That wasn't the question, Tom...)

Q. Heirloom question, mikewho3, don't ask please. The answer is damn obvious.

Q. Ach. points being used to purchase perks?
A. No plans. Ach. are badges of honor only.

That's it!

Last edited by Arakiba; 11-18-2010 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: Typos should be corrected now
Old 11-18-2010, 04:10 PM

The Digger

Uggh, I should have seen those first two questions coming a mile away. One must wonder why it is that the WoW community is doomed to suffer the dumbest individuals to have the loudest voice?
Old 11-18-2010, 04:13 PM

Arch-Druid

Why would anyone ask the heirloom question? It has been answered a hundred times. You think anyone who would be dedicated enough to get in a select group developer chat would have taken the time to read WOWInsider or MMOChamp occasionaly.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:15 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Ask if Lor'themar eye scar is going to be in the in-game model

Lol you probably won't
Old 11-18-2010, 04:17 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
Ask if Lor'themar eye scar is going to be in the in-game model

Lol you probably won't
My first question, about Stromgarde, seems to have been passed over, and the second queue filled up damn quick. I'l try to ask after my next shot.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:17 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakiba View Post
My first question, about Stromgarde, seems to have been passed over, and the second queue filled up damn quick. I'l try to ask after my next shot.
Ohh thanks
Old 11-18-2010, 04:19 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Ask about the poor worgen world presence.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:23 PM

Elune

Sorry to be annoying but could you also ask if the blue child will be going to be in-game skies sometime soon?

I won't abuse my luck any further, all my other questions are lore questions and i won't dwell into that

edit: someone asked a legendary question *GROAN

Last edited by Ashendant; 11-18-2010 at 04:25 PM..
Old 11-18-2010, 04:30 PM

Arch-Druid

questions are retarded as fuck, as usual...
Old 11-18-2010, 04:31 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stackattack View Post
Oh fuck god that i don't believe in THIS EXPRESSES MY FEELINGS PERFECTLY

Finally a good question
Old 11-18-2010, 04:32 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Quote:
You expected something else?

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

*sigh* these questions :x

A question that's been asked many times, but never answered, is whether or not they'll allow use to fly in Quel'thalas and Azuremyst?
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.

Elune

good question got a stupid answer
That input queque stay opened for like 1 second
Old 11-18-2010, 04:34 PM

Elune

Damn that queue fills up god damned fast. In the span of like 2 seconds it seemed 131 questions blew in.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:35 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakiba View Post
Damn that queue fills up god damned fast. In the span of like 2 seconds it seemed 131 questions blew in.
Did you manage to put any question?
Old 11-18-2010, 04:35 PM

Arch-Druid

i'm raging hard at these questions. oh god what a retarded world are we living in?
Old 11-18-2010, 04:36 PM

Elune

Quote:
i'm raging hard at these questions. oh god what a retarded world are we living in?
gais wil we rayd bolfar lk in kataclism?11 lol

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Elves are bad.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:38 PM

Arch-Druid

Oh, come on, people still have questions about the DK starting area! Do these people even play WOW? These questions have been answered so many different times in so many different places it's ridiculous. How about something that actually makes news (the raid tier questions brought out some interesting info at least).

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
Did you manage to put any question?
I tried. I thought my previous question didn't go in but it did, so I am not 100% sure on this one. But I'll keep trying.

Arch-Druid

"guise, i danno lal, but this heroik an normal is komplikated 4 me, any chens yu guyz add super heroik mood so mai guld ken get higer loot? thnx"
Old 11-18-2010, 04:39 PM

Elune

A good mount question

A retard stupid mount question

OMG WALL BANGER MOUNT QUESTION
Old 11-18-2010, 04:41 PM

Elune

Did the guy just ask HOW he'd obtain a guild mount!?

Elves are bad.

Arch-Druid

lol@players not able to change login screens.

pre 4.0, i've been using classic screen with some tweaky program. it got broke in 4.0 but i'm sure someone will make a new one.

edit:
"gaize, were do yu get skorpan? mai guld has over 9000 expariens and i kent buy it lol"

Elune

Moar Heirloom Question Rawr

MY I.Q. IS SUFFERING

MY MIND IS DESCENDING
Old 11-18-2010, 04:43 PM

Arch-Druid

+1 heirloom question answered 9001 times already.

edit:
change class? retarded fuck

Last edited by Stackattack; 11-18-2010 at 04:45 PM..