Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 12-17-2013, 03:56 PM

Elune

BC was full of them
Old 12-17-2013, 04:00 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferlion View Post
BC was full of them
I might be remembering incorrectly, but most of the BC outposts seemed to be racial outposts rather than Alliance ones.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:01 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

I want more flavour customization. Hate the derp lion? Put the L or the red fist there instead! Etc. It's the little things that matter.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 12-17-2013, 04:05 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthad View Post
I like going with one style better. Hopefully, there ends up being more than just Orc and Human themes though.

I think going with a mismatch of racial buildings would look disjointed and ugly.

And despite what all you chucklekfucks think, the human building look absolutely gorgeous, hopefully if Stromgarde is ever restored it uses this architecture.

And anyone who says that human styled building aren't also Alliance styled is being ignorant. The Alliance has consistently built that way from the start.
Humans have received fantastic architectural design upgrades over the years, especially if you were to count Gilneas in that mix. But I would LOVE to see what Blizzard could do about updating dwarven architecture.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:21 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Humans have received fantastic architectural design upgrades over the years, especially if you were to count Gilneas in that mix. But I would LOVE to see what Blizzard could do about updating dwarven architecture.
As much as I would like to see that, I think a race like the Night Elves deserves to receive Garrison architecture before them.

If I were to rank the order that I'd to see racial Garrison themes done in it would be this.

Alliance:
Human
Night Elf
Dwarf
Worgen
Pandaren*
Draenei
Gnome

Horde:
Orc
Troll
Forsaken
Blood Elf
Pandaren*
Tauren
Goblin

*Pandaren would be at the bottom, but because it could be mirrored across the factions I think they ought to be done before some races.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:44 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Odok#1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
I certainly hope Blizzard intends to keep the Garrison feature going in future expansions, because frankly, it's one of the neatest things I've seen in a long time, and I feel like it could tie into both lore and gameplay very nicely, introducing new characters (it'd be nice if NPCs we recruit existed out in the world and did stuff when we run into them), mechanics, as well as visual resources galore.
Unless it falls flat on its ass I have a hard time imagining that they wouldn't, especially since they're making it a system and not just a feature in WoD. I think the real question is: what will the next iteration be like?

Personally I think it'd be REALLY FUCKING COOL if Garrisons in 7.0 ended up being WC3 style bases. Like you literally just start out with some builder units, follow an RTS tech tree, and have pitched battles against NPC attackers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowtide View Post
For playing a fantasy game, some of you have a really withered imagination.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:50 PM

The sneaky Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odok View Post
Personally I think it'd be REALLY FUCKING COOL if Garrisons in 7.0 ended up being WC3 style bases. Like you literally just start out with some builder units, follow an RTS tech tree, and have pitched battles against NPC attackers.
I very much hope they keep expanding on it. It's so good for the game in being something logical and in-keeping with theme. I mean really, we've been adventuring for however many years. You'd think we'd have the resources and renown to own a piece of land. Unlike pet battles which are fun but a little silly this just opens up so many avenues for Blizzard to use their considerable RTS-making skills and offers so much more variety in possible endgame content with the battles as you said, really I'll support anything that gets more pitched battles in Warcraft. Garrisons even open up room for more character development; You could make your garrison a mercenary fortress or take on the role of a minor noble in your faction with your own estates.

I think the system has so much potential and I know Blizzard has only so many resources and must wrestle with a very much ageing engine but I think Garrisons could be a really great thing for the game if they make it a focus of future development.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:13 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Unless it falls flat on its ass I have a hard time imagining that they wouldn't, especially since they're making it a system and not just a feature in WoD. I think the real question is: what will the next iteration be like?

At the very least, scenarios like NPC attacks on your Garrison or Missions where you get to lead your followers would be pretty cool.

I think the system has a lot of potential. I think they intend to see how it works in a live environment first and then look at how it could be expanded. They did say that interaction between you, your garrison and other players is something they might look at as they further develop the feature.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:42 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthad View Post
I think Human architecture is just generally the most efficient for what it does. It's some of the sturdiest construction, yet you don't need to carve out an entire mountain for it.
To be fair, yeah, I'll give you that. Very insightful comment. I remember a bit of the dialogue in BtDP regarding VanCleef and the Stonemasons being akin to the talent of Dwarfs but with Humans own twists. As you say, Humans are indeed much more efficient as a race than any of the other races in the Alliance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Agreed. I adored Gilneas architecture, it's the main reason it's such a shame Gilneas/Worgen have been left in limbo by the Developers. Such an utter waste of wonderful art assets.

And yes please, you know how much I love the Dwarfs and everything about them, but the buildings are really starting to show their age at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutinz View Post
I think the system has a lot of potential. I think they intend to see how it works in a live environment first and then look at how it could be expanded. They did say that interaction between you, your garrison and other players is something they might look at as they further develop the feature.
Exactly. They didn't expect Pet Battles to be anywhere near as succesful as they have been (Citation needed, I know, but I'm 99% I read something to that effect in a Blue post/tweet) and have thus developed them accordingly post launch.

I hope it will be the same with the Garrison system. For all the testing in the world they won't really know how best to expand and tune the system until it's actually out there and we're playing with it.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:42 AM

Arch-Druid

what buildings and followers will everyone take?
Old 12-18-2013, 07:43 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eillas View Post
what buildings and followers will everyone take?
We're not really sure yet what all the available ones are, but if they can be taken, I'm going for as many of the shado-pan as possible.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:11 AM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:

Baby steps Odok, baby steps.

Let them get the basic features in WoD, and if it's half as successful as we all seem to think it'll be, they'll likely expand on all the stuff you can do with it. Now, while your suggestion kind of reminds me of Brütal Legend's combat system which, which I found a rather clunky and un-intuitive blend of mechanics, I could see certain elements being pulled from the RTS games and plopped into Garrisons.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:18 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
Baby steps Odok, baby steps.

Let them get the basic features in WoD, and if it's half as successful as we all seem to think it'll be, they'll likely expand on all the stuff you can do with it. Now, while your suggestion kind of reminds me of Brütal Legend's combat system which, which I found a rather clunky and un-intuitive blend of mechanics, I could see certain elements being pulled from the RTS games and plopped into Garrisons.
Keep in mind how the progression of stuff went here. Blizzard implemented Sunsong Ranch partly to see if it would placate the folks what wanted player housing but partly because they to try and make farming for mats into something of a mini-game. It was a real "dip your toe in the water" kind of test, but the part where Blizzard's decided to double-down on it with Garrisons demonstrates that it worked.

Whatever happens with Garrisons in 7.0 (whether you're able to take it along to the next expansion area, or get new building options, or GvG combat scenarios, or a mobile app for managing your garrison from outside the game client) it's going to be because of the feedback they get and what they feel they can do to keep it interesting and cogent to the game. The reason why it took so long to implement player housing in any form was because Blizzard didn't just want to bend over backwards to create a system that didn't have any gameplay to it. Sunsong Ranch and the Garrison were wholly designed to bring about gameplay, and the fact that this construct happens to also hit a lot of the player housing buttons is almost coincidental.

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:51 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

They were going to have "Defend your Garrison" minigames right? That could be alot of fun.
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 12-18-2013, 02:10 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Nyarsz#1553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
They were going to have "Defend your Garrison" minigames right? That could be alot of fun.
Especially if they make it like that "plants vs zombies" quest in Hillsbrad :3

Just imagine: You and your alts (you controlling them all RTS style) get together using towers, demos and some other random stuff to defend your garrison from demons, ogres, or even the opposite faction :3
Old 12-18-2013, 02:12 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
I would love to be able to challenge friends or use a PvP finder to attack/defend garrisons.

Warcraft 4 in WoW? Yes Pls!
Old 12-18-2013, 02:14 PM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
I hope so. I wouldn't mind it being like the tactical quests in Uldum.

I would also enjoy debriefing followers the way we did in Jade Forest. The epic romance between Riko and Shademaster Kiryn was quite possibly the best in all of Warcraft.

Last edited by Menel'dirion; 12-30-2013 at 02:32 PM..

Tags
for khalimdor mah sistahs, gameplay, human architecture rocks, human architecture sucks, night elf tears, warlocks of draenor