Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 11-12-2013, 09:54 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

I'd like the Horde building to be more Mag'har style, but with better graphics. That would suit Draenor the most, imho.

Still, I'm happy with the WC3 style.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:54 AM

Arch-Druid

I hope they at least have innkeepers, guards, and random npcs. like footmen, riflemen, and sentinels.4
Old 11-12-2013, 09:59 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

I wonder who the followers will be. The example UI just had a bunch of pun-name people, so they're probably not the final versions. I wonder if some of the followers could be lore characters who don't have much to do.

Imagine having Chen as a follower, or Johnny Awesome, or Lorewalker Cho, or Zen'kiki, or Lunk, or Linken, or Elizabeth Birdsong...
Old 11-12-2013, 10:04 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Odok#1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
I wonder who the followers will be. The example UI just had a bunch of pun-name people, so they're probably not the final versions. I wonder if some of the followers could be lore characters who don't have much to do.

Imagine having Chen as a follower, or Johnny Awesome, or Lorewalker Cho, or Zen'kiki, or Lunk, or Linken, or Elizabeth Birdsong...
They're just supposed to be NPC facsimiles of players, with permadeath, so I doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowtide View Post
For playing a fantasy game, some of you have a really withered imagination.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:06 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odok View Post
They're just supposed to be NPC facsimiles of players, with permadeath, so I doubt it.
Permadeath? Where did Permadeath come up as a mechanic?

Seriously, this is an important part of the analysis I'm doing.

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:10 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

It'd be sort of cool if they did a racial blend with the buildings showing varied aspects of all the factions races within the architecture
Old 11-12-2013, 10:38 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

I don't really expect the followers to have any real character, regardless of the way it's going to be played.

I figure it'll be something like marriage in Skyrim, ie mostly pointless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:42 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Didn't kosak say that we would have Heroes visiting our Garrison?
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 11-12-2013, 11:23 AM

Eternal

I've start my first of many analyses of the Garrisons systems on PW:R. I'd appreciate any discussion you all would like to have about it, whether here or in the comments on the blog.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:19 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Odok#1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
Permadeath? Where did Permadeath come up as a mechanic?

Seriously, this is an important part of the analysis I'm doing.
Just in the normal discussion. Think Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, if you've ever played it. More difficult missions have a chance of killing a follower. I assume it's a % chance modified by various factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowtide View Post
For playing a fantasy game, some of you have a really withered imagination.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:36 PM

Arch-Druid

Old 11-12-2013, 07:28 PM

Demon Hunter

Sweet right off the bat! How much are you all estimating gold wise total? I am thinking 50-100k total. I feel they are really trying to remove some gold out of the economy with gems, enchants, and this.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:32 PM

The Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caith View Post
Sweet right off the bat! How much are you all estimating gold wise total? I am thinking 50-100k total. I feel they are really trying to remove some gold out of the economy with gems, enchants, and this.
The problem with a gold sink like that is that it won't hit the people with millions of gold who really fuck up economies, while stonewalling the folks who keep 1-2k on them. The removal of enchants and gems may reduce their capacity to accrue more gold, but ultimately you'll still be stuck with some pretty massive wealth disparity in-game, which can make it really hard to balance features like this.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:39 PM

Demon Hunter

What I have found is that the people with a million gold will upgrade garrisons for all 10 of their alts as well for the benefits. 3 people(in my own guild no less for shame) have already stated as much.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:48 PM

The Digger

Quote:
What I have found is that the people with a million gold will upgrade garrisons for all 10 of their alts as well for the benefits. 3 people(in my own guild no less for shame) have already stated as much.
Even then, that raises the issue of the garrison itself being a source of income. If anything, shelling out for the full package on all of your alts may be an investment.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:54 PM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
Even then, that raises the issue of the garrison itself being a source of income. If anything, shelling out for the full package on all of your alts may be an investment.
And thus we are back to square one. Hurray status quo!
Old 11-12-2013, 07:57 PM

The Digger

Quote:
And thus we are back to square one. Hurray status quo!
Even more so. You'll have the really rich folks passively making bank on their eleven max-level garrisons, while a lot of folks will be lucky to manage that once.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:00 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Even more so. You'll have the really rich folks passively making bank on their eleven max-level garrisons, while a lot of folks will be lucky to manage that once.
The upgrades aren't going to be governed by gold investment. Players will still need to get plans off certain locations in order to get fully upgraded.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:05 PM

The Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
The upgrades aren't going to be governed by gold investment. Players will still need to get plans off certain locations in order to get fully upgraded.
That won't be much of an impediment to wealthy players though, as they're no less capable of going to get those plans as anyone else. Basically, the only people who are gonna stumble on the garrisons are the poorer players, i.e. the ones who would benefit the most from the services offered by the feature. This can be circumvented if the gold costs aren't applied to the money making facilities, but it's a thing I could see exacerbating a preexisting issue.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:15 PM

Eternal

Quote:
That won't be much of an impediment to wealthy players though, as they're no less capable of going to get those plans as anyone else. Basically, the only people who are gonna stumble on the garrisons are the poorer players, i.e. the ones who would benefit the most from the services offered by the feature. This can be circumvented if the gold costs aren't applied to the money making facilities, but it's a thing I could see exacerbating a preexisting issue.
It still ultimately serves the purpose of players playing the game and Blizzard having goldsinks to try and combat the goldcapped players manipulating the economy. I don't expect garrisons themselves are going to be a goldsink for their functionality; the goldsinks are going to be in the form of vanity items, like paying to get a gold statue of the PC in the town square.

Poorer players will get everything out of the garrisons that the design intends.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:17 PM

Elune

Someone on the official forums suggested to have our alts appear in our garrison. For the alts in the same faction, obviously.

I think it's a great idea.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:25 PM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhinyAlly View Post
Someone on the official forums suggested to have our alts appear in our garrison. For the alts in the same faction, obviously.

I think it's a great idea.
So long as you can control that or not, since when I played I know my Tauren wouldnt have let my belf warlock into his house.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 11-12-2013, 08:30 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
So long as you can control that or not, since when I played I know my Tauren wouldnt have let my belf warlock into his house.
Maybe adding an interface with the names of eligible alts. Check their name if you want to see them there.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:56 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odok View Post
Just in the normal discussion. Think Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, if you've ever played it. More difficult missions have a chance of killing a follower. I assume it's a % chance modified by various factors.
https://twitter.com/mumper/status/400471886376620032

So yeah, doesn't look like they're doing permanent death.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:09 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
Since they are ripping off* STO's DOFF-system i'd say that the mock up is pretty accurate; in STO, DOFFs get a unique name (though one can have more than one copies of the same DOFF) and features (swap "Orcbane" to "Warpgeometry Analyst"). Most of them are completely random dudes and gals with no relevance to the story, but every now and then you get a DOFF that's representing a character you just met in the mission you got him from (like there's a guy called Law on Nimbus 3. If you do all the missions involving the local Tal Shiar threat you will eventually get him as a quest reward. He reduces your Torpedo-cooldown.) so getting minor NPCs as followers isn't out of the question. The two biggest difference between the two systems is probably that our followers will be resurectable (DOFFs can land in sickbay to recover from injuries, but when they die on a mission they're gone) and that we will actually see our followers on duty. Which is awesome.

*i cannot stress how much i approve of this, but it is what it is even the UI looks pretty damn close ^^

Tags
for khalimdor mah sistahs, gameplay, human architecture rocks, human architecture sucks, night elf tears, warlocks of draenor