Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 11-12-2013, 09:54 AM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,802

Default

I'd like the Horde building to be more Mag'har style, but with better graphics. That would suit Draenor the most, imho.

Still, I'm happy with the WC3 style.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 11-12-2013, 09:54 AM
Eillas Eillas is offline

Arch-Druid
Eillas's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,275

Default

I hope they at least have innkeepers, guards, and random npcs. like footmen, riflemen, and sentinels.4
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 11-12-2013, 09:59 AM
Insane Guy of Doom Insane Guy of Doom is offline

Time-Lost Proto Nerd
Insane Guy of Doom's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,956

Default

I wonder who the followers will be. The example UI just had a bunch of pun-name people, so they're probably not the final versions. I wonder if some of the followers could be lore characters who don't have much to do.

Imagine having Chen as a follower, or Johnny Awesome, or Lorewalker Cho, or Zen'kiki, or Lunk, or Linken, or Elizabeth Birdsong...
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 11-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Odok Odok is offline

Arch-Druid
Odok's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,987
BattleTag: Odok#1101

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
I wonder who the followers will be. The example UI just had a bunch of pun-name people, so they're probably not the final versions. I wonder if some of the followers could be lore characters who don't have much to do.

Imagine having Chen as a follower, or Johnny Awesome, or Lorewalker Cho, or Zen'kiki, or Lunk, or Linken, or Elizabeth Birdsong...
They're just supposed to be NPC facsimiles of players, with permadeath, so I doubt it.
__________________
Head Canon: The Deathwing Gambit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowtide View Post
For playing a fantasy game, some of you have a really withered imagination.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 11-12-2013, 10:06 AM
MisterCrow MisterCrow is offline

Eternal
MisterCrow's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,421

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odok View Post
They're just supposed to be NPC facsimiles of players, with permadeath, so I doubt it.
Permadeath? Where did Permadeath come up as a mechanic?

Seriously, this is an important part of the analysis I'm doing.
__________________
Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix


Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 11-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Sonneillon Sonneillon is offline

Lord of the
Assassin's League
Sonneillon's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canadaland
Posts: 9,982
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Default

It'd be sort of cool if they did a racial blend with the buildings showing varied aspects of all the factions races within the architecture
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 11-12-2013, 10:38 AM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,031

Orb of Venom

I don't really expect the followers to have any real character, regardless of the way it's going to be played.

I figure it'll be something like marriage in Skyrim, ie mostly pointless.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 11-12-2013, 10:42 AM
Gurzog Gurzog is offline

Elune
Gurzog's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14,030
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Default

Didn't kosak say that we would have Heroes visiting our Garrison?
__________________
Btag is Hulk#23939
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 11-12-2013, 11:23 AM
MisterCrow MisterCrow is offline

Eternal
MisterCrow's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,421

Default

I've start my first of many analyses of the Garrisons systems on PW:R. I'd appreciate any discussion you all would like to have about it, whether here or in the comments on the blog.
__________________
Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix


Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 11-12-2013, 12:19 PM
Odok Odok is offline

Arch-Druid
Odok's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,987
BattleTag: Odok#1101

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
Permadeath? Where did Permadeath come up as a mechanic?

Seriously, this is an important part of the analysis I'm doing.
Just in the normal discussion. Think Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, if you've ever played it. More difficult missions have a chance of killing a follower. I assume it's a % chance modified by various factors.
__________________
Head Canon: The Deathwing Gambit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowtide View Post
For playing a fantasy game, some of you have a really withered imagination.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 11-12-2013, 05:36 PM
Eillas Eillas is offline

Arch-Druid
Eillas's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,275

Default

Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 11-12-2013, 07:28 PM
Caith Caith is offline

Demon Hunter
Caith's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: California
Posts: 440

Default

Sweet right off the bat! How much are you all estimating gold wise total? I am thinking 50-100k total. I feel they are really trying to remove some gold out of the economy with gems, enchants, and this.
__________________
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
-Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 11-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Volkrin Volkrin is offline

The Digger
Volkrin's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 9,019

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caith View Post
Sweet right off the bat! How much are you all estimating gold wise total? I am thinking 50-100k total. I feel they are really trying to remove some gold out of the economy with gems, enchants, and this.
The problem with a gold sink like that is that it won't hit the people with millions of gold who really fuck up economies, while stonewalling the folks who keep 1-2k on them. The removal of enchants and gems may reduce their capacity to accrue more gold, but ultimately you'll still be stuck with some pretty massive wealth disparity in-game, which can make it really hard to balance features like this.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 11-12-2013, 07:39 PM
Caith Caith is offline

Demon Hunter
Caith's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: California
Posts: 440

Default

What I have found is that the people with a million gold will upgrade garrisons for all 10 of their alts as well for the benefits. 3 people(in my own guild no less for shame) have already stated as much.
__________________
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
-Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 11-12-2013, 07:48 PM
Volkrin Volkrin is offline

The Digger
Volkrin's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 9,019

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caith View Post
What I have found is that the people with a million gold will upgrade garrisons for all 10 of their alts as well for the benefits. 3 people(in my own guild no less for shame) have already stated as much.
Even then, that raises the issue of the garrison itself being a source of income. If anything, shelling out for the full package on all of your alts may be an investment.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 11-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Caith Caith is offline

Demon Hunter
Caith's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: California
Posts: 440

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
Even then, that raises the issue of the garrison itself being a source of income. If anything, shelling out for the full package on all of your alts may be an investment.
And thus we are back to square one. Hurray status quo!
__________________
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
-Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 11-12-2013, 07:57 PM
Volkrin Volkrin is offline

The Digger
Volkrin's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 9,019

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caith View Post
And thus we are back to square one. Hurray status quo!
Even more so. You'll have the really rich folks passively making bank on their eleven max-level garrisons, while a lot of folks will be lucky to manage that once.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 11-12-2013, 08:00 PM
MisterCrow MisterCrow is offline

Eternal
MisterCrow's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,421

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
Even more so. You'll have the really rich folks passively making bank on their eleven max-level garrisons, while a lot of folks will be lucky to manage that once.
The upgrades aren't going to be governed by gold investment. Players will still need to get plans off certain locations in order to get fully upgraded.
__________________
Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix


Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 11-12-2013, 08:05 PM
Volkrin Volkrin is offline

The Digger
Volkrin's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 9,019

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
The upgrades aren't going to be governed by gold investment. Players will still need to get plans off certain locations in order to get fully upgraded.
That won't be much of an impediment to wealthy players though, as they're no less capable of going to get those plans as anyone else. Basically, the only people who are gonna stumble on the garrisons are the poorer players, i.e. the ones who would benefit the most from the services offered by the feature. This can be circumvented if the gold costs aren't applied to the money making facilities, but it's a thing I could see exacerbating a preexisting issue.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 11-12-2013, 08:15 PM
MisterCrow MisterCrow is offline

Eternal
MisterCrow's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,421

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
That won't be much of an impediment to wealthy players though, as they're no less capable of going to get those plans as anyone else. Basically, the only people who are gonna stumble on the garrisons are the poorer players, i.e. the ones who would benefit the most from the services offered by the feature. This can be circumvented if the gold costs aren't applied to the money making facilities, but it's a thing I could see exacerbating a preexisting issue.
It still ultimately serves the purpose of players playing the game and Blizzard having goldsinks to try and combat the goldcapped players manipulating the economy. I don't expect garrisons themselves are going to be a goldsink for their functionality; the goldsinks are going to be in the form of vanity items, like paying to get a gold statue of the PC in the town square.

Poorer players will get everything out of the garrisons that the design intends.
__________________
Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix


Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 11-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Trickster Trickster is offline

Elune
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Trickster's Mighty Keep
Posts: 7,356

Default

Someone on the official forums suggested to have our alts appear in our garrison. For the alts in the same faction, obviously.

I think it's a great idea.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brojar View Post
i literally just shit my pants with rage
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 11-12-2013, 08:25 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,134

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhinyAlly View Post
Someone on the official forums suggested to have our alts appear in our garrison. For the alts in the same faction, obviously.

I think it's a great idea.
So long as you can control that or not, since when I played I know my Tauren wouldnt have let my belf warlock into his house.
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 11-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Trickster Trickster is offline

Elune
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Trickster's Mighty Keep
Posts: 7,356

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
So long as you can control that or not, since when I played I know my Tauren wouldnt have let my belf warlock into his house.
Maybe adding an interface with the names of eligible alts. Check their name if you want to see them there.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brojar View Post
i literally just shit my pants with rage
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 11-12-2013, 08:56 PM
MisterCrow MisterCrow is offline

Eternal
MisterCrow's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,421

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odok View Post
Just in the normal discussion. Think Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, if you've ever played it. More difficult missions have a chance of killing a follower. I assume it's a % chance modified by various factors.
https://twitter.com/mumper/status/400471886376620032

So yeah, doesn't look like they're doing permanent death.
__________________
Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix


Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 11-13-2013, 12:09 AM
Commander Rotal Commander Rotal is offline

Sha of Disappointment
Commander Rotal's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,092

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
I wonder who the followers will be. The example UI just had a bunch of pun-name people, so they're probably not the final versions. I wonder if some of the followers could be lore characters who don't have much to do.
Since they are ripping off* STO's DOFF-system i'd say that the mock up is pretty accurate; in STO, DOFFs get a unique name (though one can have more than one copies of the same DOFF) and features (swap "Orcbane" to "Warpgeometry Analyst"). Most of them are completely random dudes and gals with no relevance to the story, but every now and then you get a DOFF that's representing a character you just met in the mission you got him from (like there's a guy called Law on Nimbus 3. If you do all the missions involving the local Tal Shiar threat you will eventually get him as a quest reward. He reduces your Torpedo-cooldown.) so getting minor NPCs as followers isn't out of the question. The two biggest difference between the two systems is probably that our followers will be resurectable (DOFFs can land in sickbay to recover from injuries, but when they die on a mission they're gone) and that we will actually see our followers on duty. Which is awesome.



*i cannot stress how much i approve of this, but it is what it is even the UI looks pretty damn close ^^
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
for khalimdor mah sistahs, gameplay, human architecture rocks, human architecture sucks, night elf tears, warlocks of draenor

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.