Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #176  
Old 03-01-2017, 08:30 AM
Shekinah Shekinah is offline

Arch-Druid
Shekinah's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: On a pale horse
Posts: 2,423

Mana

Grackle, you should give up lint for lent!
__________________
I like to cook. Here's a thread on how it relates to Warcraft.
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 03-01-2017, 09:02 AM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,166

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekinah View Post
Grackle, you should give up lint for lent!
Cleanliness is next to godliness, right?

But yeah, I'm looking forward to the season this year. It's been really convoluted recently. I've been more distant and cynical than I've been in years. A bit of a shower will feel really nice.
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 04-11-2017, 07:37 PM
Shekinah Shekinah is offline

Arch-Druid
Shekinah's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: On a pale horse
Posts: 2,423

Mana

So, I was reading through the old religion thread, and started to think about approaching my children with it. My husband is a practicing Catholic, but I am not. Strictly speaking, yes, I'm Catholic (I was baptized, but never took communion), but I do not practice Catholicism and pretty much go to mass to honor my husband (yeah, I know) and to ensure that the kids get baptized, since it's important to him.

Now, I don't consider baptism in and of itself to be forcing religion onto children. It's a simple ceremony to me, nothing more or less. Then I thought about how we're enrolling my son into pre-school this fall, and it will be at a Catholic school. The school he's going to isn't my first choice, but with a couple of closings that happened due to lack of funding, it's where he's going. I was sitting here for a while, wondering if this was the right decision I was making for him, instead of sending him to the public school literally a block away or at the ball charter school here. Then I read this.

Hallelujah?
__________________
I like to cook. Here's a thread on how it relates to Warcraft.
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 04-11-2017, 07:40 PM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,692
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

Since when were you under the impression that there isn't lead in catholic schools?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 04-11-2017, 07:42 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,387

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

So you're making your kids full Catholic despite not believing in it yourself? Weird.

Be sure to keep track of the garbage they'll fill your kids' heads with so you can try to teach them real science instead of Jesus riding dinosaurs or the evils of masturbation and condoms or whatever.
__________________
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 04-11-2017 at 07:44 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #181  
Old 04-11-2017, 07:47 PM
Shekinah Shekinah is offline

Arch-Druid
Shekinah's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: On a pale horse
Posts: 2,423

Mana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Since when were you under the impression that there isn't lead in catholic schools?
It's holy water!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas
So you're making your kids full Catholic despite not believing in it yourself? Weird.

Be sure to keep track of the garbage they'll fill your kids' heads with so you can try to teach them real science instead of Jesus riding dinosaurs or the evils of masturbation and condoms or whatever.
Believe it or not, science, including evolution (micro and macro), are taught in Catholic schools. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if half the population of the Catholic high school here was atheist. Public schools here are that bad.

And it's important to my husband, so I just shrug and go about my day.
__________________
I like to cook. Here's a thread on how it relates to Warcraft.
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 04-11-2017, 07:48 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

This thread seems risky.
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 04-11-2017, 07:52 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,387

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
This thread seems risky.
You seem risky.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 04-11-2017, 07:53 PM
Shekinah Shekinah is offline

Arch-Druid
Shekinah's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: On a pale horse
Posts: 2,423

Mana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
You seem risky.
That's what she said.
__________________
I like to cook. Here's a thread on how it relates to Warcraft.
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 04-11-2017, 07:56 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
You seem risky.
I am a trouble maker.
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 04-11-2017, 08:21 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,387

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekinah View Post
That's what she said.
Risky, risqué, same difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
I am a trouble maker.
Yeah you are.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 04-11-2017, 11:43 PM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,166

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekinah View Post
So, I was reading through the old religion thread, and started to think about approaching my children with it. My husband is a practicing Catholic, but I am not. Strictly speaking, yes, I'm Catholic (I was baptized, but never took communion), but I do not practice Catholicism and pretty much go to mass to honor my husband (yeah, I know) and to ensure that the kids get baptized, since it's important to him.

Now, I don't consider baptism in and of itself to be forcing religion onto children. It's a simple ceremony to me, nothing more or less. Then I thought about how we're enrolling my son into pre-school this fall, and it will be at a Catholic school. The school he's going to isn't my first choice, but with a couple of closings that happened due to lack of funding, it's where he's going. I was sitting here for a while, wondering if this was the right decision I was making for him, instead of sending him to the public school literally a block away or at the ball charter school here. Then I read this.

Hallelujah?
Catholic!Grackle wants you to explore your husband's faith because I believe that the more you investigate, the better it looks to you. But seriously, holy water isn't necessarily cleaner, so watch out!

Cynic!Grackle scoffs that you shouldn't worry because all educational institutions are nightmares, and if your children learn to associate Catholicism with school then they'll probably leave the faith like many of the people I know who suffered in schools that happened to be Catholic. My children go to public school because I don't want them to carry that association.

Absolutist!Grackle agrees with Kakwakas and cannot fathom how you can live in a house divided against what you know and believe. Decisive battle! Conflict! Blood! Triumph for the truth!

Family!Grackle kind of gets excited in general everytime he's reminded there are other people with spouses and children in these forums. And it's even more exciting because the stress in your post DOESN'T seem to indicate tension with your husband, which is terrific because you guys are unbeatable when you look out for each other!

. . .

But anyway, what's the direction of this conflict for you? Are you atheist, agnostic? I ask because I'm curious where the strongest common ground is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
This thread seems risky.
It probably fits better in the newly reopened Halls. Things are generally civil here, but the topic gets intertwined with things like politics and education.

EDIT: The bizarre epiphany of realizing that Family!Grackle feels uncannily like Buzzed!Grackle.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 04-11-2017 at 11:48 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 04-11-2017, 11:48 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,387

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Also be sure not to leave your children alone around Christian authority figures for obvious reasons.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 04-11-2017, 11:56 PM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,166

Default

^ Unless your husband becomes a lay teacher or a Knight of Columbus, or something. You can probably leave your kids alone with him.

But only for short periods. You don't want them to forget to feed the pets or accidentally burn the house down. We husbands, left to our own devices...
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 04-12-2017, 12:01 AM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,504

Default

I'll never understand how the Knights of Columbus exist in the modern age, Columbus was a dick.
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 04-12-2017, 12:05 AM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,166

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
I'll never understand how the Knights of Columbus exist in the modern age, Columbus was a dick.
From my understanding it was an unfortunate accident. U.S. Catholics were looking for an important figure in American history who was Catholic. Columbus fit the bill - he was taught in all schools just as much as George Washington. People didn't consider him a monster yet.

Nowadays, it's a positive group with (imo) a terrible namesake.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 04-12-2017 at 12:07 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 04-12-2017, 12:24 AM
HlaaluStyle HlaaluStyle is offline

Elune
HlaaluStyle's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tradegate, the Outlands
Posts: 12,465
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Default

Huh, surprised this thread is still around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekinah View Post
So, I was reading through the old religion thread, and started to think about approaching my children with it. My husband is a practicing Catholic, but I am not. Strictly speaking, yes, I'm Catholic (I was baptized, but never took communion), but I do not practice Catholicism and pretty much go to mass to honor my husband (yeah, I know) and to ensure that the kids get baptized, since it's important to him.

Now, I don't consider baptism in and of itself to be forcing religion onto children. It's a simple ceremony to me, nothing more or less. Then I thought about how we're enrolling my son into pre-school this fall, and it will be at a Catholic school. The school he's going to isn't my first choice, but with a couple of closings that happened due to lack of funding, it's where he's going. I was sitting here for a while, wondering if this was the right decision I was making for him, instead of sending him to the public school literally a block away or at the ball charter school here. Then I read this.

Hallelujah?
Speaking as an agnostic... kids can get pretty good educations at Catholic schools. Though I can see what BaronGrackle means about people losing their faith because of Catholic school, though that'd probably be more a concern of your husband's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
From my understanding it was an unfortunate accident. U.S. Catholics were looking for an important figure in American history who was Catholic. Columbus fit the bill - he was taught in all schools just as much as George Washington. People didn't consider him a monster yet.

Nowadays, it's a positive group with (imo) a terrible namesake.
I thought it was done specifically by Italian-Americans seeking to bolster their image in a time when they faced significant discrimination. Though it always seemed questionable to me, since Columbus lived and died long before the US was a thing. Name recognition matters, I guess.
__________________
See WoW in a way you've never imagined it.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 04-12-2017, 06:20 AM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,166

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
I thought it was done specifically by Italian-Americans seeking to bolster their image in a time when they faced significant discrimination.
There's probably a whole lot of overlap here, since a lot of Italian-Americans were Catholic. Though it is worth noting that the founder, Michael McGivney, was Irish-American.

(I was a little weirded out when I rewatched Rocky II in adulthood and first noticed all of the Italian flags hanging out windows during his training-running montage. I hadn't realized Italian flagwaving was something Italian-Americans ever did in recent history.)

Quote:
Though it always seemed questionable to me, since Columbus lived and died long before the US was a thing. Name recognition matters, I guess.
Every kid is going to learn about Columbus in American history class, and in the 1880s it was all going to be positive stuff. U.S. history claims him like we claim the Pilgrims.
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 04-12-2017, 07:50 AM
Shekinah Shekinah is offline

Arch-Druid
Shekinah's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: On a pale horse
Posts: 2,423

Mana

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle
But anyway, what's the direction of this conflict for you? Are you atheist, agnostic? I ask because I'm curious where the strongest common ground is.
The general conflict lies in the school itself. On the one hand, it was the same school my husband had a very difficult time with when he was a student there. On the other hand, there are teachers there from a school he went to that teach there, so I'll just have to keep a close look and all that.

I respect and admire my husband's dedication to his faith. It shows a lot of discipline, something that I find lacking these days. I dunno what he sees in me, though.
__________________
I like to cook. Here's a thread on how it relates to Warcraft.
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 04-12-2017, 09:34 AM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,166

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekinah View Post
The general conflict lies in the school itself. On the one hand, it was the same school my husband had a very difficult time with when he was a student there. On the other hand, there are teachers there from a school he went to that teach there, so I'll just have to keep a close look and all that.
With the bold part - is it that they're really good teachers that he thinks make the school better, or is it that you're concerned about the teachers?

Quote:
I respect and admire my husband's dedication to his faith. It shows a lot of discipline, something that I find lacking these days. I dunno what he sees in me, though.
Well, based on your comments to your pregnancy earlier and the gushings about your family/husband, there's more dedication and discipline to you than you probably give yourself credit for.

It also sounds like you share concerns about the school that are unrelated to religion. You and he can keep an eye on that together, without having to worry about "threatening" his faith.
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 04-12-2017, 12:37 PM
Shekinah Shekinah is offline

Arch-Druid
Shekinah's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: On a pale horse
Posts: 2,423

Mana

He thinks that good teachers make for a good school. And while that's true, there are other things to consider (nutrition or lack thereof, class sizes, extra curriculars...).

If our son absolutely hates it beyond the whole "I hate school" phase that kids go through, we'll have to discuss other options, but that's a long ways out.
__________________
I like to cook. Here's a thread on how it relates to Warcraft.
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 04-12-2017, 08:28 PM
Saranus Saranus is offline

Elune
Saranus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 5,682
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Default

Yeah, I recall that Italian-American groups held up Columbus as this founding figure in American history who happened also to be Italian at a time when Italian-Americans were facing serious discrimination. And hey it worked! Is it a worthy trade-off? Enshrine a evil fucker as an important cultural figure, but you get to reduce the prejudice against an entire ethnicity? It's an interesting question.

In any case, I'm one of those people who would be very excited if Columbus Day were changed to a national holiday honoring Native Americans.
__________________
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 04-12-2017, 08:30 PM
HlaaluStyle HlaaluStyle is offline

Elune
HlaaluStyle's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tradegate, the Outlands
Posts: 12,465
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
Yeah, I recall that Italian-American groups held up Columbus as this founding figure in American history who happened also to be Italian at a time when Italian-Americans were facing serious discrimination. And hey it worked! Is it a worthy trade-off? Enshrine a evil fucker as an important cultural figure, but you get to reduce the prejudice against an entire ethnicity? It's an interesting question.

In any case, I'm one of those people who would be very excited if Columbus Day were changed to a national holiday honoring Native Americans.
That'd annoy a lot of Italian-Americans. It'd be better to have a separate Native American day, and simply swap out Columbus for an actual American of Italian descent.

Or we can just do away with ethnic-themed Federal holidays and months altogether.
__________________
See WoW in a way you've never imagined it.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 04-12-2017, 08:33 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
That'd annoy a lot of Italian-Americans. It'd be better to have a separate Native American day, and simply swap out Columbus for an actual American of Italian descent.

Or we can just do away with ethnic-themed Federal holidays and months altogether.
Don't you want a government holiday for Asian-American day?
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 04-13-2017, 07:28 PM
HlaaluStyle HlaaluStyle is offline

Elune
HlaaluStyle's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tradegate, the Outlands
Posts: 12,465
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
Don't you want a government holiday for Asian-American day?
Not particularly.
__________________
See WoW in a way you've never imagined it.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
realspace, serious business

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.