Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Old 03-01-2017, 08:30 AM

Arch-Druid

Mana

Grackle, you should give up lint for lent!
Old 03-01-2017, 09:02 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekinah View Post
Grackle, you should give up lint for lent!
Cleanliness is next to godliness, right?

But yeah, I'm looking forward to the season this year. It's been really convoluted recently. I've been more distant and cynical than I've been in years. A bit of a shower will feel really nice.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:37 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

So, I was reading through the old religion thread, and started to think about approaching my children with it. My husband is a practicing Catholic, but I am not. Strictly speaking, yes, I'm Catholic (I was baptized, but never took communion), but I do not practice Catholicism and pretty much go to mass to honor my husband (yeah, I know) and to ensure that the kids get baptized, since it's important to him.

Now, I don't consider baptism in and of itself to be forcing religion onto children. It's a simple ceremony to me, nothing more or less. Then I thought about how we're enrolling my son into pre-school this fall, and it will be at a Catholic school. The school he's going to isn't my first choice, but with a couple of closings that happened due to lack of funding, it's where he's going. I was sitting here for a while, wondering if this was the right decision I was making for him, instead of sending him to the public school literally a block away or at the ball charter school here. Then I read this.

Hallelujah?
Old 04-11-2017, 07:40 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Since when were you under the impression that there isn't lead in catholic schools?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:42 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

So you're making your kids full Catholic despite not believing in it yourself? Weird.

Be sure to keep track of the garbage they'll fill your kids' heads with so you can try to teach them real science instead of Jesus riding dinosaurs or the evils of masturbation and condoms or whatever.
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 04-11-2017 at 07:44 PM..
Old 04-11-2017, 07:47 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Since when were you under the impression that there isn't lead in catholic schools?
It's holy water!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas
So you're making your kids full Catholic despite not believing in it yourself? Weird.

Be sure to keep track of the garbage they'll fill your kids' heads with so you can try to teach them real science instead of Jesus riding dinosaurs or the evils of masturbation and condoms or whatever.
Believe it or not, science, including evolution (micro and macro), are taught in Catholic schools. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if half the population of the Catholic high school here was atheist. Public schools here are that bad.

And it's important to my husband, so I just shrug and go about my day.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:48 PM

Elune

This thread seems risky.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:52 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
This thread seems risky.
You seem risky.
Member #14
Old 04-11-2017, 07:53 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
You seem risky.
That's what she said.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:56 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
You seem risky.
I am a trouble maker.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:21 PM

Elune

Quote:
That's what she said.
Risky, risqué, same difference.

Quote:
I am a trouble maker.
Yeah you are.
Member #14
Old 04-11-2017, 11:43 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
So, I was reading through the old religion thread, and started to think about approaching my children with it. My husband is a practicing Catholic, but I am not. Strictly speaking, yes, I'm Catholic (I was baptized, but never took communion), but I do not practice Catholicism and pretty much go to mass to honor my husband (yeah, I know) and to ensure that the kids get baptized, since it's important to him.

Now, I don't consider baptism in and of itself to be forcing religion onto children. It's a simple ceremony to me, nothing more or less. Then I thought about how we're enrolling my son into pre-school this fall, and it will be at a Catholic school. The school he's going to isn't my first choice, but with a couple of closings that happened due to lack of funding, it's where he's going. I was sitting here for a while, wondering if this was the right decision I was making for him, instead of sending him to the public school literally a block away or at the ball charter school here. Then I read this.

Hallelujah?
Catholic!Grackle wants you to explore your husband's faith because I believe that the more you investigate, the better it looks to you. But seriously, holy water isn't necessarily cleaner, so watch out!

Cynic!Grackle scoffs that you shouldn't worry because all educational institutions are nightmares, and if your children learn to associate Catholicism with school then they'll probably leave the faith like many of the people I know who suffered in schools that happened to be Catholic. My children go to public school because I don't want them to carry that association.

Absolutist!Grackle agrees with Kakwakas and cannot fathom how you can live in a house divided against what you know and believe. Decisive battle! Conflict! Blood! Triumph for the truth!

Family!Grackle kind of gets excited in general everytime he's reminded there are other people with spouses and children in these forums. And it's even more exciting because the stress in your post DOESN'T seem to indicate tension with your husband, which is terrific because you guys are unbeatable when you look out for each other!

. . .

But anyway, what's the direction of this conflict for you? Are you atheist, agnostic? I ask because I'm curious where the strongest common ground is.

Quote:
This thread seems risky.
It probably fits better in the newly reopened Halls. Things are generally civil here, but the topic gets intertwined with things like politics and education.

EDIT: The bizarre epiphany of realizing that Family!Grackle feels uncannily like Buzzed!Grackle.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 04-11-2017 at 11:48 PM..
Old 04-11-2017, 11:48 PM

Elune

Also be sure not to leave your children alone around Christian authority figures for obvious reasons.
Member #14
Old 04-11-2017, 11:56 PM

Echo of the Past

^ Unless your husband becomes a lay teacher or a Knight of Columbus, or something. You can probably leave your kids alone with him.

But only for short periods. You don't want them to forget to feed the pets or accidentally burn the house down. We husbands, left to our own devices...
Old 04-12-2017, 12:01 AM

World Builder

I'll never understand how the Knights of Columbus exist in the modern age, Columbus was a dick.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 04-12-2017, 12:05 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
I'll never understand how the Knights of Columbus exist in the modern age, Columbus was a dick.
From my understanding it was an unfortunate accident. U.S. Catholics were looking for an important figure in American history who was Catholic. Columbus fit the bill - he was taught in all schools just as much as George Washington. People didn't consider him a monster yet.

Nowadays, it's a positive group with (imo) a terrible namesake.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 04-12-2017 at 12:07 AM..
Old 04-12-2017, 12:24 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Huh, surprised this thread is still around.

Quote:

Hallelujah?
Speaking as an agnostic... kids can get pretty good educations at Catholic schools. Though I can see what BaronGrackle means about people losing their faith because of Catholic school, though that'd probably be more a concern of your husband's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
From my understanding it was an unfortunate accident. U.S. Catholics were looking for an important figure in American history who was Catholic. Columbus fit the bill - he was taught in all schools just as much as George Washington. People didn't consider him a monster yet.

Nowadays, it's a positive group with (imo) a terrible namesake.
I thought it was done specifically by Italian-Americans seeking to bolster their image in a time when they faced significant discrimination. Though it always seemed questionable to me, since Columbus lived and died long before the US was a thing. Name recognition matters, I guess.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 04-12-2017, 06:20 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
I thought it was done specifically by Italian-Americans seeking to bolster their image in a time when they faced significant discrimination.
There's probably a whole lot of overlap here, since a lot of Italian-Americans were Catholic. Though it is worth noting that the founder, Michael McGivney, was Irish-American.

(I was a little weirded out when I rewatched Rocky II in adulthood and first noticed all of the Italian flags hanging out windows during his training-running montage. I hadn't realized Italian flagwaving was something Italian-Americans ever did in recent history.)

Quote:
Though it always seemed questionable to me, since Columbus lived and died long before the US was a thing. Name recognition matters, I guess.
Every kid is going to learn about Columbus in American history class, and in the 1880s it was all going to be positive stuff. U.S. history claims him like we claim the Pilgrims.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:50 AM

Arch-Druid

Mana

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle
But anyway, what's the direction of this conflict for you? Are you atheist, agnostic? I ask because I'm curious where the strongest common ground is.
The general conflict lies in the school itself. On the one hand, it was the same school my husband had a very difficult time with when he was a student there. On the other hand, there are teachers there from a school he went to that teach there, so I'll just have to keep a close look and all that.

I respect and admire my husband's dedication to his faith. It shows a lot of discipline, something that I find lacking these days. I dunno what he sees in me, though.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:34 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
The general conflict lies in the school itself. On the one hand, it was the same school my husband had a very difficult time with when he was a student there. On the other hand, there are teachers there from a school he went to that teach there, so I'll just have to keep a close look and all that.
With the bold part - is it that they're really good teachers that he thinks make the school better, or is it that you're concerned about the teachers?

Quote:
I respect and admire my husband's dedication to his faith. It shows a lot of discipline, something that I find lacking these days. I dunno what he sees in me, though.
Well, based on your comments to your pregnancy earlier and the gushings about your family/husband, there's more dedication and discipline to you than you probably give yourself credit for.

It also sounds like you share concerns about the school that are unrelated to religion. You and he can keep an eye on that together, without having to worry about "threatening" his faith.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:37 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

He thinks that good teachers make for a good school. And while that's true, there are other things to consider (nutrition or lack thereof, class sizes, extra curriculars...).

If our son absolutely hates it beyond the whole "I hate school" phase that kids go through, we'll have to discuss other options, but that's a long ways out.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:28 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Yeah, I recall that Italian-American groups held up Columbus as this founding figure in American history who happened also to be Italian at a time when Italian-Americans were facing serious discrimination. And hey it worked! Is it a worthy trade-off? Enshrine a evil fucker as an important cultural figure, but you get to reduce the prejudice against an entire ethnicity? It's an interesting question.

In any case, I'm one of those people who would be very excited if Columbus Day were changed to a national holiday honoring Native Americans.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:30 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
Yeah, I recall that Italian-American groups held up Columbus as this founding figure in American history who happened also to be Italian at a time when Italian-Americans were facing serious discrimination. And hey it worked! Is it a worthy trade-off? Enshrine a evil fucker as an important cultural figure, but you get to reduce the prejudice against an entire ethnicity? It's an interesting question.

In any case, I'm one of those people who would be very excited if Columbus Day were changed to a national holiday honoring Native Americans.
That'd annoy a lot of Italian-Americans. It'd be better to have a separate Native American day, and simply swap out Columbus for an actual American of Italian descent.

Or we can just do away with ethnic-themed Federal holidays and months altogether.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 04-12-2017, 08:33 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
That'd annoy a lot of Italian-Americans. It'd be better to have a separate Native American day, and simply swap out Columbus for an actual American of Italian descent.

Or we can just do away with ethnic-themed Federal holidays and months altogether.
Don't you want a government holiday for Asian-American day?
Old 04-13-2017, 07:28 PM

Elune

Quote:
Don't you want a government holiday for Asian-American day?
Not particularly.

Tags
realspace, serious business