Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
The Yeah Toast guy.

https://youtu.be/SHptn_3RyYE
Some who apreciates culture
Old 08-18-2017, 04:49 PM

Guru of Gilneas

I can't say that I'm familiar with him. Shocking, I know. White people are supposed to love our musical comedies.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:21 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

The only reason I know of him is because I lived somewhat near Ann Arbor for like 10 years and he ended up on morning radio shows sometimes.
Member #14
Old 08-19-2017, 02:35 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
I can't say that I'm familiar with him. Shocking, I know. White people are supposed to love our musical comedies.
Hes like a tame and extra white Weird Al.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:17 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
Hes like a tame and extra white Weird Al.
How is that even possible? Weird Al is already a tamer than a service dog and whiter than crustless Wonderbread.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:56 AM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
How is that even possible? Weird Al is already a tamer than a service dog and whiter than crustless Wonderbread.
I mean, technically Weird Al's gotten political in his subject matter at times, since, off the top of my head, he's made at least one song on internet piracy (Don't Download This Song), and one of his songs explicitly references the US's use of torture (Party in the CIA).

And to bring things back around, he's also discussed religious themes in his music!

Old 08-21-2017, 02:56 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Yes, basically it allows religious nonprofits to be politically active while secular ones still can't. Which is bad.
A quick solution is to let secular nonprofits be politically active. If that's unacceptable, you'll have to just remove the tax-free status of religious/ideological groups.

I think forcing religious groups to be nonpolitical is completely untenable, much in the same way most of you view abstinence-only sex ed. It already happens. Everybody does it. You can't stop it.

"Give to beggars." Bam, political support for panhandling. "Pay taxes to Caesar." Bam, political support of federal-strengthening parties. "Do not kill, ever." Bam, political support against capital punishment/etc.

Politics touch everything, so all things are political.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 08-21-2017 at 03:08 PM..
Old 08-21-2017, 03:25 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Politics touch everything, so all things are political.

I mean, yeah?

Also, what game's that from?
Old 08-21-2017, 03:32 PM

Elune

I think this opens up the fun possibility of foreign religious organizations moving in. There's one out there right now that actually does a lot of neat stuff. They run hospitals and soup kitchens and help the poor a lot. They're even fighting Daesh. Maybe when they come to the US, they can start endorsing their own political candidates and get more programs like that running. Hezbollah would be a fine addition, would it not?
Member #14
Old 08-21-2017, 04:49 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
I mean, yeah?

Also, what game's that from?
Victoria II. The Paradox game that starts with the Texas Revolution and ends on the eve of WWII.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:43 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
I think this opens up the fun possibility of foreign religious organizations moving in. There's one out there right now that actually does a lot of neat stuff. They run hospitals and soup kitchens and help the poor a lot. They're even fighting Daesh. Maybe when they come to the US, they can start endorsing their own political candidates and get more programs like that running. Hezbollah would be a fine addition, would it not?
Al Capone actually started one of the first soup kitchens in 1931. Truth is stranger than fiction.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:37 PM

Elune

Why isn't Joel Osteen opening up his Houston megachurch arena to help people affected by the floods?
http://www.nova-magazine.net/houston...ood-survivors/

[edit] Looks like he caved into the pressure.
https://twitter.com/cmclymer/status/...924610/photo/1
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 08-28-2017 at 10:23 PM..
Old 08-28-2017, 05:36 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

Quote:
Why isn't Joel Osteen opening up his Houston megachurch arena to help people affected by the floods?
http://www.nova-magazine.net/houston...ood-survivors/
There needs to be room for cameras and microphones!
Old 08-31-2017, 01:25 AM

Echo of the Past

http://www.businessinsider.com/kkk-l...terview-2017-8

Quote:
When the journalist asked him how he planned to "burn out" 11 million immigrants, he responded: "We killed 6 million Jews the last time. Eleven million is nothing."

Mr Barker is the grand wizard of the Loyal White Knights faction of the KKK, which participated in the "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville, Virginia last weekend.

One person at the rally died, and dozens were injured, when a man allegedly mowed down a group of counter-protesters with his car. The Loyal White Knights proceeded to praise the driver for "running over nine communist anti-fascists".

"When a couple of them die, it doesn't bother us," Mr Barker told WBTV. "They're always attacking and messing with our rallies."

In his interview with Ms Calderón, Mr Barker referred to her as a "n-----" and a "mongrel". He also claimed that his organisation was a Christian group, not a hate group, and that he did not consider himself a racist.

Ms Calderón said she had not expected the level of vitriol she encountered.

"My team told me that I would be insulted, and I knew, but I never imagined the level," she told Univision. "...At that time I was really felt very afraid for my safety and the safety of my team."
Seems unfair that I'm not supposed to call my priests father, while he gets to be a grand wizard. I mean, Leviticus had the Israelites stoning wizards.

But I'm just messing around. He probably sleeps in on Sundays and considers himself more "spiritual" than "religious".
Old 08-31-2017, 04:14 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
He probably sleeps in on Sundays and considers himself more "spiritual" than "religious".
*shudders* O be still, my deep contempt and loathing for the phrase "spiritual but not religious."
Old 08-31-2017, 07:42 AM

Elune

Quote:
*shudders* O be still, my deep contempt and loathing for the phrase "spiritual but not religious."
If it gives people comfort I don't see a problem with it.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:42 AM

Echo of the Past

Thumbs down

Quote:
Oh, I didn't realize we shared that dislike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
If it gives people comfort I don't see a problem with it.
With me, it's a case of semantic eyerolling. I consider any person with a high level of spiritualism to be "religious"; I consider any deeply religious person to be "spiritual".

I often hear the spiritual-not-religious distinction to mark someone who ascribes to a nonabrahamic belief, or someone who claims an abrahamic faith but does not worry about any scriptures or historic teachings. In conversation I can usually translate the phrase to understand it this way, but my linguistic parts reject it in my mind.

Or maybe I don't care for the implication that every mainstream believer is less "spiritual" than the "nonreligious" person. It's the idea that anyone trying to keep in continuity is somehow a traitor to his conscious, which would otherwise (naturally!) agree with the nonreligious spiritual person you are speaking with.

EDIT: But I've worked to temper my reactions. Naturally, a huge chunk of us believe we are more right than whoever we are arguing with, so it's nothing personal if the "spiritual" individual considers me hidebound and empty inside. We're just trying to guide each other, I suppose.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 08-31-2017 at 08:52 AM..
Old 08-31-2017, 09:40 AM

Guru of Gilneas

I'm of a similar mind. The phrase "spiritual but not religious" does a tremendous disservice to both terms involved. Its conventional use implies that religious piety is somehow less "spiritual," among other things, in comparison to "non-religious" ones. It's also a veiled insult at religious institutions and those who participate in them: "the religious." This is not to say that religious institutions or the religious are above criticism and reproach, but there is an inherent condescension to it. BaronGrackle's phrasing is apt: the religious are viewed as "a traitor to [their]* conscience." Here I would add that while "their" can refer to the religious person's conscience, but the implicit referrant is often the nonreligious' conscience. So its use entails a hushed condescending insult to the religious.

Also, I associate the phrase, at least by those who use it, with non-committal religious flakiness. As a phrase, it is empty, hollow, and mostly meaningless. There is no community. There is scarcely a belief, mostly a hodge-podge of quarter-baked ones. "Oh, we believe in something too. It's just the feeling that the world is...[insert generic feel good shit here]..."And for a "movement" defined by vague feelings in the divine, the something greater, or whatever, its self-described adherents scarcely have any strong feelings about any of it. It's so lukewarm. From my own discussions with my pastor/priest friends, they have more amiable conversations and hang-outs with atheists, since at least they can express convictions about something, even it's in a scientific materialism that denies the existence of their deity or the supernatural.

"Spiritual but not religious" is for flakey agnostics, atheists, and theists who don't won't to offend others by picking the "wrong" religion or denominations thereof. It's often for those who want to pick and choose as if the world religions were a salad bar but done in a manner that does a deep disservice to the integrity of the respective religions and their histories, traditions, or doctrines. It attempts to have text without any context or grounding. "Spiritual but not religious" frequently plays out as imperialistic cultural appropriation that promotes the shallow self-serving interests of their own me-generation egos. "Have it your way" at "Spiritual but not religious." But to appropriate the words of Ron Swanson, "spiritual but not religious" is like skim milk: it's water that's lying about being milk. But "spiritual but not religious" is a shallow, meaningless belief that lies about being deep and meaningful.

Last edited by Genesis; 09-01-2017 at 03:19 AM..
Old 08-31-2017, 10:02 AM

Echo of the Past

Not to be confused with "Jesus, not religion", which is just a phrase for some groups of evangelical protestantism.

I can eyeroll their semantics too, of course. I guess the word "religion" has a lot of negative historical baggage that its synonyms don't share.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 08-31-2017 at 10:05 AM..
Old 08-31-2017, 10:42 AM

Eternal

Quote:
I consider any person with a high level of spiritualism to be "religious"; I consider any deeply religious person to be "spiritual".
And if they are not? You tell them the are wrong to you?
Old 08-31-2017, 11:33 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
In real life, it's easy enough to smile and move on past the phrase to the meat of the topic.

On the internet, I'm ready to whip out dictionaries.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:54 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
You don't understand! The guy espouses beliefs that have been arbitrarily decided to be "unchristian."
Member #14
Old 08-31-2017, 01:51 PM

Eternal

Quote:
You don't understand! The guy espouses beliefs that have been arbitrarily decided to be "unchristian."
I don't care about that. I merely wanted to know how would Grackle react to someone who sports a high level of spirituality, yet is not religious.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:06 PM

Elune

Idk I think you guys are reading too much into it. I associate that term with people who believe there is more to life than what meets the eye but don't fit any religious group. Their beliefs may strongly influence the way they live their life, they can be some vague thought or feeling and yeah even some feelgood BS but so what? If it works for them why hate.

I am also amused that you Genesis of all people would be such a religious purist, elitist even, given how totally liberal you are.

Tags
realspace, serious business