Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 11-08-2016, 06:39 AM

Darkmoon Card: Portals

So, it's been just pointed out to me: there is also artwork of a female ogre in the book:

I am handclaw and this is my favorite thread on Scrolls of Lore!... oh wait, nope... Just another bitching thread.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:40 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

She looks like an orc with rounder ears, which kinda makes sense, I suppose.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:04 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorenec View Post
One thing I forgot to mention before that I just noticed while skimming through the book is that Traveler makes note of time zones for quite possibly as far as I know the very first time in the franchise. At one point while it's the middle of the night in Feralas, Aram is being homesick and thinking about Lakeshire and making note of how it's probably morning there and his stepfather has just started his work at the forge.

I thought it was pretty neat and it was a stark reminder of how badly I tend to forget about time zones in my own RP/writing.
Have they handled travel time reasonably?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 11-08-2016, 08:15 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
She looks like an orc with rounder ears, which kinda makes sense, I suppose.
IRC, she isn't adult yet. So maybe adult females are bigger.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:49 AM

Keeper of the Grove

How fucked would it have been if the Quilboar and Centaur camp was some kind of reservation?

I'm willing to bet these ponce outposts all get burned by the Legion.

Anyway...

Sounds like this is a great idea, but it's not the best execution. I am glad that Blizzard is trying harder with it's lore, though. MFW I've been using the same heart-to-head greeting in tauren roleplay for years.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:19 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Stncold#1786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Have they handled travel time reasonably?
As of the start of the book, Aram has been with them for 6 months. He came from Lakeshire an they departed from Stormwind. So six months later they are roughly off the coast of Desolace. It doesn't state if it took them six months to get from SW to off coast of Desolace, only that's how long Aram has been with them. The whole journey mighta been 6 months, they may have stopped elsewhere.

After the pirates take over the Wavestrider, Aram and Makasa row on a dinghy for 3 days until they reach Feralas. Makasa states they should go north toward Feathermoon Stronghold and seek help, but Aram's magic compass is pointing southeast. After some arguing, they start following the compass toward the southeast. They walk through the jungle for roughly 14 days, most of it uphill and through barren areas of devoid of water sources which seemed to slow them down, before running into Murky. I tried to make a few attempts to get a good idea of their locations on the game map, but it's been tricky and I'm not sure I'm accurate. My rough estimate is they run into Murky around the Tower of Estulan area, but that's just a guess.

After that mentions of travel times mostly stop, but given the occasional mention to daytime, nighttime, the position of the sun or White Lady, it all seems pretty reasonable. I have no problems with them at all. In regards to lore scale I think the book does a pretty solid job of respecting it overall.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:03 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiraser View Post
IRC, she isn't adult yet. So maybe adult females are bigger.
Yeah, they narrative also keeps pointing out how small she is by ogre standards. Another line if I remember said that females were generally around 7 feet tall.

I just finished the book today and, it completely blew away my expectations. I really like the story and slightly more heartfelt take on Warcraft. Aram's determination to befriend murlocs and gnolls and wyverns instead of killing them is so refreshing compared to the kill first ask questions never approach our characters have. I'd love if we had more options like that in game, it would at least break up the monotony of the ubiquitous "kill x quests."

The writing does have some issues though. I found it weird just how much it focuses on how clarifying how tall characters are in relation to each other or how much they weigh (makes sense for things like saying how big the ogres are or One-Eye the wyvern, but it does for almost everyone in the first few chapters), and Aram and Makasa's relationship, though very sweet, seemed a bit too sudden (He calls her "sister" once and suddenly all their differences are gone and they're inseparable surrogate siblings).

I'm very curious to see where the series goes, especially with all the naaru stuff implying it might have a bigger impact on Warcraft lore than initially let on. Since they're headed to Gadgetzan, I'd love for that book to take a page out of Hearthstone's expansion.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:38 PM

Hippogryph Rider

Literally Aram
Old 11-09-2016, 02:43 PM

Eternal

So if I've heard right, this actually has wyverns being super smart like the WC3 manual said but we never actually saw before?
Old 11-09-2016, 03:43 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

I'm tempted to buy this book, even though I don't play WoW any longer.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 11-09-2016, 04:23 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Stncold#1786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
Aram and Makasa's relationship, though very sweet, seemed a bit too sudden (He calls her "sister" once and suddenly all their differences are gone and they're inseparable surrogate siblings).
I do think it was slightly too sudden as well given how utterly antagonistic Makasa was toward him in the beginning of the book and the prior 6 months of the journey. However, it is easily explained away by several factors though, a couple of which Weisman highlights.

One is that they go through an overall terrible and traumatic experience together. For a good 17 days they're completely on their own with nobody to talk to but the other person. A shared experience like that will bring anyone but the most hateful or completely different in personality of people closer to each other. You hear stories of it all the time, especially in ones of survival and war. Two people who don't like each other get shipwrecked or are in the same military unit. Only they are capable of watching out for each other and staying alive because of each other. As they go through this journey together they get closer and learn more about the other person, seeing past their differences and all. By the end of they're thick as thieves and see each other in a new light because they went through that shitty experience together and came out of it alive. Nobody but them.

Two is that one of the main reasons Makasa seems to dislike Aram is that she thinks he's squandering a precious and rare opportunity. She obviously loves Greydon and thinks of him as a father-figure, whereas Aram borderline despises him for abandoning their family. Aram for his part isn't even really antagonistic toward Makasa at all. He makes jokes and rolls his eyes at her, but there doesn't seem to be any dislike even though she kinda treats him like shit. It's pretty one-sided. As the story progresses and Makasa sees Aram hasn't entirely ignored everything Greydon tried to teach him, her views on him soften.

Third is that Makasa seems to be yearning for a family in a sense. Her brothers were killed by the Horde, and there is one line that implies her biological father either died when she was very young or was absent. At several times it's also noted that Aram is pretty homesick and missing his real family, but going back to them isn't much of an option.

When you combine those three factors, it's easy enough to see them becoming much closer than they originally were as a result. I think it would have been better had Weisman waited at least to the second book to start with the whole "brother/sister" thing, but this being a kids book I can understand why he chose to do it in the first one.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:15 AM

Arch-Druid

Tauren from the Flayer's Point have a weird sense of humour. One of them thought that gnoll-made meat was made from gnolls and not by them. Both Aram and his dad weren't sure that he was just joking. Lady Bloodhorn, the big tauren boss out there, said that boar jerky tasted just like quilboar.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:43 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Tauren from the Flayer's Point have a weird sense of humour. One of them thought that gnoll-made meat was made from gnolls and not by them. Both Aram and his dad weren't sure that he was just joking. Lady Bloodhorn, the big tauren boss out there, said that boar jerky tasted just like quilboar.
That's kind of an ominous name...

My Worldbuilding:
Old 11-19-2016, 11:04 AM

Hippogryph Rider

From my point of view the Tauren are evil.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:15 AM

Arch-Druid

Unholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
That's kind of an ominous name...
It's just a busy trading post in Desolace. But it started out as a skinning camp. It's mainly populated by tauren, centaur and quilboar. The Flayer's Point isn't marked on any map, but it's visited by some rare tradesmen. Aram saw there three goblins, a few humans and dwarves from another ship and a single high elf female.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:38 AM

World Builder

Quote:
It's just a busy trading post in Desolace. But it started out as a skinning camp. It's mainly populated by tauren, centaur and quilboar. The Flayer's Point isn't marked on any map, but it's visited by some rare tradesmen. Aram saw there three goblins, a few humans and dwarves from another ship and a single high elf female.
Fckin High Elves

My Worldbuilding:
Old 11-19-2016, 12:33 PM

Arch-Druid

Old 05-27-2017, 03:24 PM

Arch-Druid

At first I thought that it's vol.2, but it seems that it's just a different cover for german paperback edition. But maybe I'm wrong, dunno.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:48 PM

Yeah, that's just the German cover.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:07 AM

Arch-Druid

Old 07-22-2017, 08:00 AM

Why can't we get playable gnolls?

The female gnoll is far cooler than worgen could ever hope to be.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:31 AM

Arch-Druid

That's a much better cover than the first book's.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:14 PM

Sentinel Queen

Hackle looks really cute there.

Quote:
[IMG]

I still think about how cool your write up for playable gnolls is from the Recruit That Race Thread.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mending View Post
I still think about how cool your write up for playable gnolls is from the Recruit That Race Thread.
<3

If we ever get to play as gnolls, one of the things I'm worried about is that Blizzard might make them look more or too "refined". Worgen used to look like rabies carriers. Ravenous beast you'd rather stay away from. Now, worgen, while constantly looking angry, look far too dignified to really be scared of.

The same can be said about tauren, to some extent. Peaceful tribesmen they might have been even in Warcraft 3, but back then, you knew not to stand in the way of an enraged tauren bull.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that either of those races (or gnolls) can't also have a cute, peaceful or even cultured side, but those shouldn't come at the expense of their "spirit".

(The models are, of course, only partially responsible, but it would help if a worgen's clothes ripped when in werewolf form, like Genn and the Forsaken's.)

Last edited by Nazja; 07-23-2017 at 05:51 AM..
Old 07-23-2017, 09:06 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:

They'd have to be Horde so they wouldn't suck, and that would mean whatever other race Blizzard adds to the Alliance for parity would end up sucking.

Tags
literature, warcraft