Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 03-12-2012, 02:20 PM

Banished

Loot Bag Dirty Business

The man's gait was patient, his tread carefully measured. He was dressed in a faded Frostweave business suit. At his side was a dark brown briefcase. His footsteps echoed against stone walls as torches flickered in their sconces.

He stopped in front of a weathered oak door. Taking a key from his jacket pocket, he turned the lock and stepped inside.

The small paneled room was lit by a single lantern hanging from an old chain above the square cherry table. A tall grandfather clock stood against one wall. The man closed and locked the door behind him and took a seat. He opened his briefcase and removed a sheaf of paper, uncorked a pot of ink and wet the tip of a quill pen.

Clearing his throat, he asked the handcuffed man across the table "Can I confirm that I am speaking to Daniel Freewinter?"

The handcuffed man nodded. He had a thick mop of oily brown hair and a scruffy beard that indicated some time had passed since he had last shaved. He is dressed in the tattered remnants of what might once have been a set of leather armor.

The interviewer carefully wrote something on the first sheet of paper. Then, in a voice as calm and patient as the ticking of the clock, said "Now Mr Freewinter, I believe that you understand what I am here for. My colleagues and I are interested in the events surrounding the Perenolde Incident. We have gathered as many data as we can on the matter, and have assembled a rough outline of what may have happened, but we would like you to confirm and elaborate on some areas about which we are not certain."

"Let us begin at the beginning." He produced a folder from the briefcase and retrieved a stack of files. "You worked with three other highly trained intelligence agents. Rebecca Mistmantle, codenamed Thistle, Sergeant in the Gilnean Secret Police. Durin Hillthorn, Dwarf operative codenamed Sparkfly during his time in SI:7, refused orders and disappeared," here the clerk turned over a few pages, "when commanded to assassinate a rival Dark Iron operative with whom he seemed to have formed a cooperative relationship. Interesting story. Last, there was Thomas Thornby, Captain of the Lordaeron Royal Guard, who went missing and was presumed dead seven years ago. And of course, as you have confirmed, you are Daniel Freewinter, master thief wanted for crimes against the crown in five kingdoms." The folder was placed back inside the case.

"Understand that it is our desire to help you, and that in order to do so we need to know the full story." The interviewer wrote a few words at the top of a blank piece of paper. "Please tell me what you were hired to do."

Last edited by Mustrum; 03-13-2012 at 07:53 PM..
Old 03-12-2012, 08:31 PM

Priestess of the Moon
BattleTag: Samael#1487

You didn't learn your lesson from last time?
Old 03-13-2012, 01:24 PM

Elune

My job... was to kill the Manbat.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:39 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Kill yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 03-13-2012, 03:44 PM

Elune

Rat out your accomplice, a man known as "the half-elf dragon." Give them his address, his work schedule, and tell them he's got a bomb and is going to blow up the Cathderal.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:58 PM

Banished

Loot Bag

Freewinter shifted in his seat, his chains clanking at his wrists. "I was laying low over in Kul Tiras after a hit went sour back in Dalaran. This fucking half-elf maniac tried to screw me over. Kept ranting about dragons or something. Had to slit his throat. Fuck. I barely got out of there with my life." The interviewer gave a small cough. "Right, you don't want to hear about that, do you? You want to know about the Alterac business. Right, well I was in Kul Tiras, like I said." The interviewer began writing. "These guys came up to me in a tavern. Gave me this big old sack of gold and told me they had business for me. I thought what the hell, you know? Probably just gonna be a snatch job for some royal jewels or something. So I went with them, they took me down to their boss's room in the cellar. Didn't really get a good look at him, he was all hooded and robed and shit. Might've been a Gnome. I don't know. Anyway, he told me that he needed someone dead."

The interviewer continued to scribble. "He wanted you to kill the Manbat."

"That's right. I mean, I'd heard rumors. Some masked freak running around Alterac causing trouble for thieves and rogues. It's the reason I'd been avoiding that city. Didn't really know whether to believe it, but I thought I'd play it safe, you know? But this guy, he's offering me a ton of gold to take him out, and he said I'd be working with those three others you mentioned, said they were the elite of the elite when it came to this sort of thing."

"So you took the job. You agreed to assassinate the Manbat."

"That's right. Fuck me, I took the job."

"What price were you promised?"

"Light, I can't even remember anymore..."

"Please try."

"Fuck...Five hundred thousand gold, I think it was."

"Thank you." The interviewer scratched a few more words on the page before looking up. "We understand that you rendezvoused with your accomplices in an establishment known as the Sleeping Mare, located in a small hamlet on the southern border of the Kingdom of Lordaeron."

"Yes, that's right."

"Can you tell us how you all reacted to one another?"

Last edited by Mustrum; 03-14-2012 at 06:21 PM..
Old 03-13-2012, 04:01 PM

Elune

The dwarf wouldn't stop hitting on me and feeling me up. On more than one occasion, I had to punch his lights out. Gay dwarves, man. Rebecca was smoking hot. Big tits, tight leather outfit, stunning golden hair. She totally wanted me. Thornby... ah... Thornby... he was a bit of a lone wolf. Never showed his face. Smelled like death. We all suspected he was undead, but didn't question it.

Last edited by Frostwolf; 03-13-2012 at 04:04 PM..
Old 03-13-2012, 04:50 PM

Banished

Loot Bag

"Well Durin, the dwarf...he was a pain in the ass from the start. He wouldn't stop talking, for one thing. I don't think anyone really liked him that much. You know, I'm half-convinced he was...well, you know. Spent a bit too much time with the Elves, know what I'm saying? Heheh." The interviewer's expression remained emotionless. "Heh? Right. The others. Okay. Ahem." Freewinter gave a nervous cough. "Then there was Rebecca. She was amazing, seriously. Beauty and brains, like they say. She had the most gorgeous figure you've ever laid eyes on. Those Gilnean uniforms, by the Light. Oh, man. And sharp as a fucking tack. We got along great. I swear, she was into me." He shook his head. "You know the most tragic thing about this whole damn mess? I was honestly ready to give it all up for her. I was going to quit the thieving and the murder, move to Gilneas, hell, maybe even join up with the Police, just to be with her."

The interviewer wrote a note in the margin of his paper. "Yes, we understand that she didn't make it out of the city."

"Yeah. Well, I know that's business as usual in my line, but damn that hurt. More than it should have."

The interviewer allowed a polite pause before continuing. "And Captain Thornby? We are very interested to hear about him."

"Oh yeah. That guy." Freewinter looked uncomfortable. "I...don't know what to say, really. I mean, he was good at what he did. A real killer. Stone cold. Yeah, that's...that's the word for him. Cold. You know what I'm saying? Didn't really show any emotion. I mean, how could he, he never took off that damn helmet, did he? But he...felt off, you know? Something wasn't right about him. Something about...the air? Mostly we left him alone. He never really talked much, mostly just...killed people. Rebecca was always the one with the plans."

"Interesting." A line was drawn. "And did she have a plan ready when the four of you met in that tavern?"
Old 03-13-2012, 06:36 PM

Elune

Rebecca and I decided to draw up the plans together in a more.... intimate setting. We decided to stage a fake robbery in hopes to lure out the Manbat. That's where it all went sour...
Old 03-13-2012, 06:51 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Crossed Swords (War2)

Tell him this is where you lost the eye, and how rage is a hell of anesthetic.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:22 PM

Banished

Loot Bag

"Not already thought up, no. That's what we spent the first night working on." Here Freewinter gave a wry smile. "Well. Some of it, anyway. We decided to send Hillthorn in to get the lay of the land. Scout out some of the prominent thugs and pigs. Whatever else I'll say about that dwarf, he must have been a damn good spy. He had this way of just blending in - when you could get him to shut up, anyway."

"Did he find anything interesting?"

"Ha! You wouldn't believe some of the shit that was going down in Alterac City. You know that the Manbat was trying to take out the corrupt nobility and their goons, right? From what we saw, he wasn't doing that great a job. He'd take out...keystones, you see? Like, he'd put away some big name and that would leave this power vacuum that let all kinds of shit rise to the top. The Perenolde's were the worst, though."

"The royal family opposed the Manbat?"

"Oh yeah. You'd be surprised. They put on a good face, yeah, but secretly they were fighting as hard as they could to take him out. Turns out they were taking cuts from most of the major gangs he shut down. They had the Guard hunting the Manbat as a disturber of the King's peace. For awhile there, I thought that Aiden Perenolde himself might have been our employer."

"You began to question this hypothesis, I would presume, when his men ambushed you in the alley off of Turnspoke Street."

"Ha ha! You found out about that, did you? Yeah, that's where I lost my eye. But I gave more than I got and took the King's name from the last man before cutting his throat."

"Why do you think they were sent to kill you?"

Freewinter shrugged. "Dunno. I guess because Perenolde thought we were as much of a threat as the Manbat. We had three ex-operatives from other Kingdom's intelligence agencies."

"Interesting." The interviewer finished a paragraph before continuing. "So your initial plan was to use Mr Hillthorn to test the waters, as it were. What then?"

"Well that was all we had before we entered the city. We decided to make a more detailed strategy once we knew the lay of the land." He smiled again. "So Rebecca and I had to find other ways to entertain ourselves that night."

"I'm sure. Once you entered the city, how long was it before you discovered enough data to make a plan?"

"Five days. Durin, Rebecca and I would visit all the bars and clubs, listening and talking to people. Thornby...didn't...do much, during this time. We had a room in some rundown inn in the darkest heart of the city. Not even sure it had a name. Thornby would just sit in the corner, reading that damn book."

"Book?"

"Oh, sorry. Yeah. He had this big book that he carried everywhere. Looked sort of like a spellbook, but bigger. Had this crazy metal binding on the cover. It might have been holy. I don't know. He never let anyone else see it."

"Very interesting." More lines were written. "And so after those five days what did you decide to do?"

"Heh. It...seemed like such a good idea at the time. We decided to draw out the Manbat by staging a big hit. We...heheh, oh Light save me...we decided to hit the palace. Figured both Perenolde and Manbat might be caught off-guard. You know - since he's the last person who'd expect a criminal attack. The confusion might buy us the opportunity, we figured."

"But it went wrong."

"Right." Confusion furrowed Freewinter's brow. "I don't get it. We planned out the attack perfectly. Thornby took out the first two layers of guards, no problem, but somehow Aiden Perenolde and the Manbat were both waiting for us when we reached his private chambers. They had...what, a dozen elite soldiers with him? In the chaos someone, I think it was Rebecca, knifed the King and suddenly the entire Guard was coming down on our heads. We tried to run. Most of us made it."

"But Rebecca was cut down."

"Yeah. It just...yeah."

After a pause, the interviewer continued. "Can you describe the Manbat?"

"Uh...yeah...um, he was...shorter than I expected, but built like a steam tank. Dressed all in black. With lots of spikes. Glowing eyes."

Interest stirred behind the interviewer's impassive eyes. "Fascinating. What kind of weapon was he using?"

"He had a pair of these curved swords."

"Curved? Swords?"

"Yeah."

"Very interesting indeed." This time it was a minute before the scribe looked up from his writing. "What did you do next?"

Freewinter gave him a mournful look. "We fled the city. Hid out in Southshore for awhile. I remember Thornby seemed upset. He mentioned something about dragons and mystic bullshit about time. I don't know. I wasn't interested in hearing any of his shit."

"Can you remember what he said?"

"No. I can't."

"Very well. You did not abandon your contract at this point, however."

"No. Durin and I were pretty much pissed off at the world. I didn't really like the guy, but we were together on this."

"You resolved to wipe out the Perenolde line and kill the Manbat."

"Yeah. I'm not sure why Thornby agreed to continue."

"So then what did you do?"
Old 03-13-2012, 08:42 PM

Elune

Footman

Went to Stromgarde to meet up with some old contacts.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:49 PM

Elune

On our trip to Stromgarde, however, we were ambushed by assassins. We managed to survive, but Durin suffered a nasty wound. Thornby did something very unexpected and very dangerous, which resulted in the death of all the remaining assassins.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:05 PM

Banished

Loot Bag

"We went to Stromgarde. I know - I knew some guys there. My cousin Benjamin, for one. He ran a group of bandits. But on the way, we were ambushed by more assassins."

"Do you know who sent them?"

"No. They just appeared out of nowhere on the road just past Thoradin's Wall. They gave Durin a nasty cut with something poisoned. I killed a few but we would have all died if Thornby hadn't intervened."

"What did he do?"

"I don't really know. Something with that book of his. He said a few chants over it and then suddenly disappeared. And then...he...reappeared. Behind all of the assassins at the same time. He killed them all before I got the chance to question them."

"Interesting. We gather that Durin died of his wound some time later."

"Well. Yes and no. He would have died of his wound, if Thornby didn't cut his throat first."

"I see. And the two of you continued to Stromgarde alone?"

"Yeah. We met up with Ben and bought his little band. Thornby cut him in on a quarter of his pay. I gave him all of mine."

"Why such selflessness?"

"It wasn't about the money for me. I just...I wanted revenge. I wanted to pay the bastards back for Rebecca."

"You would say that you cared deeply for Miss Mistmantle?"

"I would have died for her. I don't know what it was. I mean, the stunning good looks certainly helped, but...it was more than that with her, you know?"

"Hmm." A few notes were scrawled in the margin of the page. "So you and Benjamin Freewinter marched north with his bandits?"

"Well. Marched. We made our way back to the city. Skirting villages and avoiding the roads. But yeah."

"And then?"
Old 03-13-2012, 10:02 PM

Elune

Suddenly forest trolls. Forest trolls EVERYWHERE. !
Old 03-13-2012, 10:13 PM

Elune

Footman

Do something badass.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:32 PM

Banished

Loot Bag

Freewinter sighed. "Then the Trolls attacked."

"Trolls? Where was this?"

"A mile or so east of Thoradin's wall. Suddenly they were everywhere. Giant, hairy green monsters. They tore us apart. Seriously, there must have been a hundred of the damn things."

"How many of you survived?"

"Seven. Thornby and I, Ben and four of his bandits."

"But you managed to defeat the Trolls?"

"Eventually. I had to dust off my third and fourth knives, but we beat them back. Killed enough to scare them off. Only cost us a few dozen men and women." These last words were laced with bitterness.

"Hmm." The interviewer scratched a note on the next page. "And what did you do then?"
Old 03-14-2012, 01:03 PM

Elune

Arrived in Stromgarde, only to be arrested and thrown in the dungeon.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:24 PM

Banished

Loot Bag

"Well, we talked it over. A couple of Ben's guys wanted to quit. One of them got violent. Thornby killed him. We decided to keep going."

"Why?"

"Officially? We said we were doing it for the money. I'd guess that was true for Ben. His lot fell in because they were terrified of Thornby. Hell, I was terrified of Thornby by this point. And me? Well, I was still sore about what happened to Rebecca. I wanted revenge, I guess. But I wanted answers, too. I wanted to know what was going on. I wanted to know why she had to die. What the Manbat was playing at, why he was with Perenolde, how they knew that we were coming. The only way I could go was forward. Or at least, that's how it seemed at the time."

"And could you guess what Thornby's motivation was?"

"Fucked if I know. He didn't talk much. But he seemed determined to see this through. Whatever the hell this is."

"Interesting. So you made your way to Alterac with four Stromgardian bandits in tow. What did you hope to accomplish with numbers so small?"

"Ah, well, you see I had been thinking. We'd take it slow, right? We'd establish a power base in the Alterac underground. Make a few allies and so on. Once we got enough of a presence we'd start making strikes against the Perenoldes."

"You were committed to a long campaign, then."

"Yeah. Not that it fucking matters, of course. We got nabbed as soon as we set foot in the city. I don't fucking get it! They always seemed to know where we were going to be!"

"So you were all imprisoned?"

"Yeah."

"How did you escape? Or were you released?"
Old 03-14-2012, 04:45 PM

Elune

Thornby mindraped several guards, causing their heads to explode, before blasting a big fucking hole in our cell. It was the bloodiest prison escape in Stromgarde's history, maybe even humanity's. The guards did their best to suppress the rumors of the escape, but rumors of our daring spread as far as Stormwind.

After that, we managed to buy some supplies from the local Black Market dealers in the area. Bought several goblin explosives, swords, traps, the works. We were prepared for war.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:27 PM

Banished

Loot Bag

"Oh, we escaped. I immediately got to work trying to pick the lock, but it was Thornby who got us out. We were all in different cells, so I didn't see what happened at first, but all of a sudden there was a lot of noise from down where he was being held. Yelling and a few screams. Then there was this explosion. After a bit, Ben came over with the key to my cell and let me out. It was a mess outside. Blood everywhere, broken masonry...a few guys, it looked liked their heads had just...exploded. I don't know what that guy did, and I don't think I want to. He never said a word."

"I see." The scribe wrote a brief note. "It may interest you to know that despite Alterac's best efforts, rumors of that jailbreak have spread as far as Elwynn Forest."

"No shit? Not a surprise, I suppose. It was pretty ugly. Well we killed all the guards in the prison and freed a few of the other criminals. Some were happy to join our cause. Some were less than friendly, but those weren't hard to overpower. By then, of course, the entire city Watch had been alerted."

"Of course."

"We heard that they had sealed the city, later. It didn't matter to us. We had no desire to leave. We went for ground. A few of the escaped criminals ran interference while Ben, Thornby and I led the others to safety. Found an entrance to the sewers. We made our base there."

"What was your next move?"

"We contacted the Black Market. We made sure to be careful this time. Only one of us would leave at a time and we kept track of how long everyone would be gone. We bought some blades, a few guns. For the troops, mind you. Nothing on market was up to the standard of my knives. Ben got himself this wicked little crossbow."

"You intended to go forward with your long-term strategy?"

"No. We didn't have time to do any of the stuff I had wanted to. We decided that we would need to fight. We blew half the gold our boss had given us on weapons and armor to prepare for battle. Heh, we even managed to find some Goblin tech one day."

"Where did you find this?"

"It was only there the one day. I think it was a travelling caravan. Three Goblins all dressed as Gnomes and done up with facepaint. They were selling some useless junk in the corner of a market. One of our guys persuaded them to show us their secret inventory."

"Have you had extensive dealings with Goblins?" the interviewer asked as he wrote another note.

"Not really. I was always more of a fan of the Gnomish stuff, to be honest. Lasers and shit. But I know a grenade from a land mine, at least. We fixed ourselves up with some of both."

"What was your next move?"
Old 03-14-2012, 06:18 PM

Priestess of the Moon
BattleTag: Samael#1487

Angelo the Dark is pleased. I'm amazed at how smoothly you can weave the suggestions into the story. However, since I'm a grammar nazi, there was one thing that grated on me:
  • you don't want to hear about that, do you?
Old 03-14-2012, 06:23 PM

Banished

Loot Bag

The scribe gave a start, catching sight of a particular word on the previous page. "A moment, please." He carefully scratched something out and wrote a single word above it. "Terribly sorry. Please continue."
Old 03-14-2012, 07:07 PM

Elune

It was time to stalk... the Manbat. We began investigating the scenes of his most famous acts. We did our best to think like the Manbat, to try and follow the bits and pieces of evidence he'd left behind (which wasn't much, because he's a pro) and try to track down at least one of his lairs. We needed to find someone who knew more about the Manbat. We made a trip to one of the seedier pubs in town, the one the guards don't dare to go in.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:29 PM

Banished

Loot Bag

"We decided that the best thing to do would be to stalk the Manbat. Figure out how he did things, try to understand his methods and his weaknesses. We sent guys to look at the places where he'd busted high profile criminals. Our goal was to find his hideout. It was fucking hard, mind you. He isn't the sort of guy who lets himself be found easily. Eventually we found our way into a bar in the darker part of town. Me and Thornby went to check it out."

"What did you find?"

Tags
collaboration, storytelling