Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 12-04-2009, 12:08 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

The "possession" thing isn't a possession that controls the body. The spirits would be like small advisors that appear in the shoulder of the ogre.

Of course, that doesn't mean the ogres ever realize they have them up there. I could see one smashing his own head while shouting "me smash tricky bird" or something.

Also; a new shape doesn't mean you change their personality. The "new" arakkoa could still be dark and sinister.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 12-04-2009, 03:49 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
The "possession" thing isn't a possession that controls the body. The spirits would be like small advisors that appear in the shoulder of the ogre.
What about some kind of Apexis AI construct that downloaded right into their minds? A one-time plot device. Having the model of an Arakkoa on your shoulder that /whispers to you seems a little far fetched for a playable race.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:38 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
What about some kind of Apexis AI construct that downloaded right into their minds? A one-time plot device. Having the model of an Arakkoa on your shoulder that /whispers to you seems a little far fetched for a playable race.
It would play much like the hobgoblin bank the goblins have. You summon it when you want, but while playing it's only a voice in your head.

Although, to be sincere, I prefer arakkoa to be their own playable race. Ogres, imo, don't work too well as a race, and we already have tauren as the "big" Horde race.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 12-05-2009, 06:28 AM

Eternal

I completly agree that Arakkoa would be better then Ogres as a race.

In the final expansion with Titan and Legion planets and maybe even some Azj'aqir world I think Arakkoa would fit very nicely with the Alliance and the popular Ethereal with the Horde.
Ethereal: Warrior, rogue, mage, warlock, priest, hero classes
Arakkoa: Warrior, mage, priest, paladin, hunter, hero classes

My idea for the Arakkoa is basically that they are the descendants of the Apexis. The Apexis were once Rukhmars choosen servants. They were the elities of their society and the Mages. Rukhmar clashed with the Gronn god Nath and the Arakkoa and the Orges were at war.
Rukhmar and Nath fought for many years. Ruhkmar with his knowledge and wisdom and Nath with his brute strength and stamina. '
Eventually, they both died. The Apexis lost their purpose in the world and slowly they left the world. The playable Arakkoa would be the descendants of the Apexis. They would live on an isolated but large isle west or northwest of Blades Edge Mountains and the playable Ethereal would want to steal their Apexis shards.
Rukhmars son, Terokk, led the Arakkoa to damnation.

edit: The Apexis shards could contain the essence of Rukhmar.

Last edited by RobLore; 12-05-2009 at 11:57 AM..
Old 12-05-2009, 06:57 AM

Arch-Druid

i'd prefer to have it other way around, arakkoa for horde and ethereals for alliance.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:02 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stackattack View Post
i'd prefer to have it other way around, arakkoa for horde and ethereals for alliance.
As long as they have a good story behind it. Right now I don't see why any arakkoa would pick a side. With the ethereals, well I also don't see why they would pick any side at the moment although if they joined the Horde, then the Horde would have like 2 races that like to buy and sell goods.

Last edited by Rolandius; 12-05-2009 at 07:14 AM..
Old 12-05-2009, 07:13 AM

Arch-Druid

well i think arrakoa could get tied in with orcs and old horde heritage somehow, and ethereals would be counterbalance to goblins in a way, along with consortium's good standing with A'dal, and thus indirectly with Draenei.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:27 AM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stackattack View Post
I don't think arakkoa will go to horde.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:28 AM

Elune

Personally i'd love to see a Eagle/Hawk humanoid race in Warcraft someday. I never saw anything awesomen in the Arakkoa meself. Just some chubby ravens with cool magic. I like my Bird men MANLY like BRIAN BLESSED!
Old 12-05-2009, 07:40 AM

Eternal

The Skettis exiles already have strong faith in the Light so I thought that they would fit better then the Alliance plus they could have been in war with the Orcs long ago.

Gnomes are already the Goblins counterpart. I dont see why Ethereals and Goblins wouldnt be able to cooperate plus the Alliance already have their completly alien race, the Draenei.

In many ways, the Ethereals would be the opposite of the pure Draenei.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:32 AM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

You know, the current racestorm is still Ogre If you want to racestorm about Arakkoa, then vote for them! (note I'm taking all your posts about arakkoa as vote for them, unless you say otherwise)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urth View Post
Isn't the problem with wowwiki that there's a ridiculous amount of fanwank all over it? I acknowledge this information would be adding to the pile. Is there a section that's mainly suggestion submissions? And how/where do you sign up for an account?
You can make subpages of your user page and put whatever you want on it. Thatway its not fanwank but just a place to collect your idea for view by fellow Warcraft enthusiasts
Old 12-05-2009, 12:27 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
You know, the current racestorm is still Ogre If you want to racestorm about Arakkoa, then vote for them! (note I'm taking all your posts about arakkoa as vote for them, unless you say otherwise
I'd say we should just steer the wheel HED and start working on Arrakoa. Seems we got a bigger reaction with them anyway. My problem with them is that they're seemingly impossible to generate a player race from, so I'm interested in what creative results might occur.

Mostly what interests me is that Arrakoa exhibit Azerothian elements and involvement without physically ever being on the planet. Things like Forestlord Ancients might in fact be a natural development for worlds in Warcraft, but that the Arrakoa questlines mention the Emerald Dream speaks of a "backdoor" to Azeroth that the Burning Legion, Draenei or Blood Elves never acknowledged. The prevalence of Druidic stuff is interesting too. "Raven" this and raven that... even bird-like totems grant Druid powers to Lost Ones in Zangarmarsh. That alone would give me the impetus to try building an Arrakoa druid.

And then there's the whole "Outland" thing that I think is important to the Arrakoa —preserving their relative outsider status, and proving that appeal comes from not being in the spotlight, or being part of the accepted norm. Dropping the Arrakoa into an Azeroth starting zone is why I'm adverse to Lon's Zul'Aman suggestion. We already had a race "crash land" and settle on Azeroth soil with the Draenei. Let's try something new.

So, we've established that Outland exists somewhat between dimensions and planes of reality. What if a chunk of Draenor slipped to far into a destablization and lodged itself in the Emerald Dream? You'd have Arrakoa and Ogres and other various Outlandish creatures coping with new astral physics. If this "inbetween" zone was able to relay information between Arrakoan spirits, it could be used to explain the Old God in Shadowmoon and the Forestlords, not to mention Anzu's conquest.

In any case, it's rather Morrisonian to think out a physical landmass completely transubstantiating into an imaginal realm, and having a culture of humanoids dealing with that. It's a little graduate school. Dive in!
Old 12-05-2009, 12:35 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Arakkoa only know of the ED due to interacting with the old gods. Now, how the old gods contacted them is the real question- was there also an OG on Outland, can the OGs sent telepathic messages to Outland or did the servants of the OGs go to Outland and indoctrinate the Arakkoa?
Old 12-05-2009, 12:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
I'd say we should just steer the wheel HED and start working on Arrakoa. Seems we got a bigger reaction with them anyway. My problem with them is that they're seemingly impossible to generate a player race from, so I'm interested in what creative results might occur.
Done and done. It was obvious they would win anyways
Old 12-05-2009, 12:52 PM

Elune

Well, Urth, it's not a crash at all. It could be an invasion, for example, although my favorite idea is them fleeing from conflict at the Emerald Dream and arriving at Zul'Aman's forests.

Of course, their 1-6 instanced zone could be at the Emerald Dream.

For the conflict, I myself would choose it to be against worgen. You know, arakkoa and worgen fight each other, some arakkoa flee to Zul'Aman. Their city could have been hidden, but the worgen, pushed by the Nightmare or maddened by it, would have found it.

Later, the city could become a battleground, like Gilneas city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Personally i'd love to see a Eagle/Hawk humanoid race in Warcraft someday. I never saw anything awesomen in the Arakkoa meself. Just some chubby ravens with cool magic. I like my Bird men MANLY like BRIAN BLESSED!
This. The reason I say "Apexis arakkoa" instead of "arakkoa" is that, well, remember back when they said "draenei" were going to be playable and they had nothing to do with the draenei we already knew? Something like that.

I would love to have humanoid birds, who, in aspect, don't look twisted or evil, but in intentions can be anything they want, from good to evil.

More like a "superior feel" birds, who look like they are over anyone else, but they truly don't, since they are gentle and whatever. They are just rare, meaning they have cold emotions, and they are hard to understand.

Typical superior people who only want to do good stuff, but everyone sees them as potentially evil bastards. Fear for those superior, men.

They would have the size of a worgen, more or less. Yeah, they are tall, but part of that size is because of the feathers. Regarding the model, to avoid skirts like the arakkoa have, they would have a mantle of feathers in their back, their wings forming something like a cape, and then a good tail, to help them balance their body, cause their legs would be pretty avian.

Their musculature would be that of raptors, with the ability of making big jumps and hover a bit using their wings. The wings wouldn't serve for complete flying, cause their use of magic to levitate would have made them useless over time.

For the tail and raptor musculature, you can look at Anzu's model. About their wings being separate or not from their arms, I would make them be together, but have the wings start at an higher point of their backs.

Finally, the feathers would work pretty much like hair, meaning that when they equip bracers and leggings, the feather disappear under them. Pants could get weird with these, so we could transform it into a skirt of sorts.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:03 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Arakkoa only know of the ED due to interacting with the old gods. Now, how the old gods contacted them is the real question- was there also an OG on Outland, can the OGs sent telepathic messages to Outland or did the servants of the OGs go to Outland and indoctrinate the Arakkoa?
Could you give me some links? It's been a while since I did Blade's Edge or Druid Flight Form.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Could you give me some links? It's been a while since I did Blade's Edge or Druid Flight Form.
I'll look up some quests, but for now, I can give you a vague overview.

Basically, the Feralfen Lost Ones in Zangarmarsh have druids in their ranks that can turn into birds. It turns out they have been tricked by the Arakkoa, and actually worship them, taking on a bird form in tribute. Later, when you get to SMV, there are a group of Arakkoa attempting to summon an Old God in a lava pool. And if you get around to doing the Epic Flight Form quests, turns out a thought-to-be-dead-but-actually-hidden sect of the Arrakoa worship Anzu the Raven God, who is in the Emerald Dream, corrupting it, and messing with the Stormrage Barrow Dens.

Here's how I think it works, basically.

Arakkoa contacted by Old God>Anzu becomes minion of old god>Arakkoa get access to the Dream>Teach Feralfen druidism
Old 12-05-2009, 01:13 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Before the playable Arakkoa get lore, I want the Arakkoa in general to get lore. I do not see how it all fits.

The Sethekk serve "the master of all arakkoa". And there leader says he is Terokk reborn.

Terokk left when the arakkoa started venerating this "master" and not Rukhmar, so I do not see how a Terokk would serve the master (well, Ikiss is crazy).

The arakkoa who worship the Raven (Anzu) are heretics in the eyes of the Skettis arakkoa.

Even though the Terokk left the Skettis arakkoa when this "master" came around, the Skettis arakkoa are summoning him, and he seems to be going with it. Arakkoa from the past using magic on the present are somehow involved.

The Skettis exiles worship the Light, and hate Terokk and the Sethekk.

The Apexis were some advanced guys who liked Simon.

Did I miss anything? The Dark Conclave is summoning what looks like an Old God, but I do not know if that is their leader. Anzu may work for that Old God (it fits, and ties in the Nightmare). A timeline would help (much like the titans' lore).

Last edited by Revenant; 12-05-2009 at 01:16 PM..
Old 12-05-2009, 01:47 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Well, Urth, it's not a crash at all...
Ay yay yay. I don't want this to sound like an attack or a one on one flamewar because I admire your creativity and overall pleasant contributions Lon. But after reading all of your several suggestions, I only have one response: "but why?"

Draenei becoming vastly physically different had much to do with playability, yes, but it was also congruent with the overall story of the Burning Crusade. Arrakoa would have to be presented differently than they have been, that's true, but why? What's the whole story there?

After reading it all, I get that you don't even care for the Arrakoa as they presently exist in the game, and are just hungry for a race of feathered humanoids. "Feathered Humanoids" don't have a story to tell or to play out. Work on that first.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:47 PM

Eternal

I have two Arakkoa ideas myself.
One is that they are an Alliance race with Priests and Paladins in the last expansion. Then they wouldnt even start on Azeroth, but on some fragment of Draenor and be the descendants to the Apexis.

The other is they come as a race in the Emerald Dream expansion as Shamans and Druids. Probably as a Horde race that used the Emerald Dream to get somewhere on Azeroth.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:18 PM

Elune

Quote:
Ay yay yay. I don't want this to sound like an attack or a one on one flamewar because I admire your creativity and overall pleasant contributions Lon. But after reading all of your several suggestions, I only have one response: "but why?"

Draenei becoming vastly physically different had much to do with playability, yes, but it was also congruent with the overall story of the Burning Crusade. Arrakoa would have to be presented differently than they have been, that's true, but why? What's the whole story there?

After reading it all, I get that you don't even care for the Arrakoa as they presently exist in the game, and are just hungry for a race of feathered humanoids. "Feathered Humanoids" don't have a story to tell or to play out. Work on that first.
Ah, no, don't worry, I don' feel offense or nothing. I too don't want to repeat situations and plots, so the "crash" has nothing of accidentalness, unlike the draenei.

The choose Zul'Aman for a reason. Ancients/Loas could be one of them.

About the arakkoa lore, I want lore for them. Introducing these new guys would come with a whole new story involving the totality of the race, including TBC's arakkoa and any other arakkoa around.

It's like draenei: we didn't know nothing of the lost ones, and suddenly they introduced draenei and broken, and gave lore to the 3.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:31 PM

Rather than making a new story, how about we flesh out their current one, with their current look?
Old 12-05-2009, 02:36 PM

Arakkoa
Alliance/Horde

Classes: Rogue, Warlock, Mage, Warrior, Shaman, Priest, Druid, Death Knight

Stater zone(s): Terokkar Forest [phased] (1-3), Hellfire Peninsula [phased] (4-6), Apexis Coast (7-15)

After the events of the fight against Illidan, all the Arakkoa were left shattered. No organization was left standing. Amid the chaos, two rose to united the race. This group was composed of Rilak the Redeemed, and Skyvah the Verdant, a druid who managed to find the true, uncorrupted powers of the Emerald Dream despite the influence of Anzu. They unite the Arakkoa, and call the group the new Apexis, after the once great empire of long ago. Realizing Outland is dying, they set out to Azeroth, where they find allies in the Alliance. They settle along the coast of the Blasted Lands, protected by great mountains.
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2009, 02:38 PM

Elune

Although I would prefer the playable arakkoa to be "new", yours' a rather good idea, HalfElfDragon. I didn't have any idea for Blasted Lands' coast, and it being the sanctuary of forces fleeing from Outland is just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Rather than making a new story, how about we flesh out their current one, with their current look?
That one and the new one should be supposed to be the same one, or at least connected.

By no way I want all the previous established lore to get retconned. They should elaborate on the missing points, and add new ones.

Last edited by Lon-ami; 12-05-2009 at 02:41 PM..
Old 12-05-2009, 02:54 PM

Eternal

Wow you're actually going to phase all of Terrokar and HFP for only 6 levels? LOL Brazen!

I was going to suggest toss some Arrakoa on a floating island between HFP and SMV. Make it kind of a Hrothgar's Landing surprise location.

And I'm not going to go too far with pushing Druids until I see Omacron's research. I like the majority of the classes though. Warrior, definately. Not sure about Warlock, did we fight any in Sethekk? I think we saw Shaman... but didn't those Shamans summon shadow elementals? Mage and Priest are good. Rogue too. Paladin is an interesting choice, but I'm sick of pallies after all the Undead/Tauren/Worgen/Gnome arguments.

Personally I'm more interested in races with fewer class choices, makes them more obscure and feel "rougher". Like, I'm cool with no new Death Knights you know? That slaughterhouse lodge in New Avalon will be getting very crowded.

Tags
collaboration, creative