Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 12-05-2009, 03:20 PM
HalfElfDragon HalfElfDragon is offline

The draconic Titleless - Mod
HalfElfDragon's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 15,545
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Although I would prefer the playable arakkoa to be "new", yours' a rather good idea, HalfElfDragon. I didn't have any idea for Blasted Lands' coast, and it being the sanctuary of forces fleeing from Outland is just fine.
I'm not such a big fan of a long lost empire reappearing, so that's why my idea took the route it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urth View Post
Wow you're actually going to phase all of Terrokar and HFP for only 6 levels? LOL Brazen!
Probably not all. I'm thinking that there will be a lot of barricades constructed by the Naaru to help with the migration. Impassible barricades
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urth View Post
I was going to suggest toss some Arrakoa on a floating island between HFP and SMV. Make it kind of a Hrothgar's Landing surprise location.
That could work
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urth View Post
And I'm not going to go too far with pushing Druids until I see Omacron's research. I like the majority of the classes though. Warrior, definately. Not sure about Warlock, did we fight any in Sethekk? I think we saw Shaman... but didn't those Shamans summon shadow elementals? Mage and Priest are good. Rogue too. Paladin is an interesting choice, but I'm sick of pallies after all the Undead/Tauren/Worgen/Gnome arguments.
I just think druids fit well with Arakkoa. In my opinion, pretty much every class could work for Arakkoa. I just didn't give them Paladins and Hunters because I couldn't give them every class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urth View Post
Personally I'm more interested in races with fewer class choices, makes them more obscure and feel "rougher". Like, I'm cool with no new Death Knights you know? That slaughterhouse lodge in New Avalon will be getting very crowded.
I don't Blizzard is though, as shown by the retroactive introduction of worgen and goblin death knights and the expansion of race/class combinations
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 12-05-2009, 03:43 PM
RobLore RobLore is offline

Eternal
RobLore's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sweden!
Posts: 4,164

Default

Wouldnt a Hunter make more sense then a Warlock? As far as I know, there are no Arakkoa Warlocks in-game.

Also we need lore like why do they join the X faction and why do they leave Outland (if thats what we are going with).
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 12-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Revenant Revenant is offline

Revenant - Moderator
Revenant's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,278

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
About the arakkoa lore, I want lore for them. Introducing these new guys would come with a whole new story involving the totality of the race, including TBC's arakkoa and any other arakkoa around.

It's like draenei: we didn't know nothing of the lost ones, and suddenly they introduced draenei and broken, and gave lore to the 3.
Ok. I'll get my 'perhaps too much fan fiction' on. Here is how I see it:

In the beginning, there was Rukhmar. He was the god/ancient of the arakkoa. His form among the arakkoa was the hero known as Terokk. High above the forest, Terokk built Skettis. He was dark and evil, but not the most dark and evil.

Many years later, a group of arakkoa was contacted by an Old God (this Old God was the one that was killed in Darkshore, and is the one in the Emerald Dream). The Old God spoke through the raven spirit know as Anzu. The Old God promised them untold power and status in the cosmos. It had helped Anzu kill the other bird spirits before hand. This raven cult gained power, but was still heretics in the eyes of Skettis, and hid in the Blade's Edge Mountains.

At some point, a group consisting of a heretical arakkoa that worshipped Anzu, a crystal giant, a land stalker (whatever warp stalkers were before Outland came to be), and a wind serpent stood against Terokk. The heretical arakkoa wanted to kill him in the name of the Old God, and was only using the other three as pawns. The other three hated Terokk for his cruelty and conquest. The group was defeated, but its members lived on and its members had children.

During the rise of the Horde, the arakkoa were losing ground. The orcs were killing everyone, not just the draenei (while Rise of the Horde does not touch on this, the Warcraft II manual does), and Terokk/Rukhmar was not doing too much about it. It was then the raven cult made its move. It showed the arakkoa of Skettis the power of Anzu. The arakkoa of Skettis then turned their back on Rukhmar, and Terokk left the world.

The now-mainstream Old God cultists formed the Dark Concave, and marched to Shadowmoon Valley to stop the Horde. They lost. Years later, they as ghosts would use the powers of Outland to try and summon their Old God back to life on another world, but that was stopped.

Back at Skettis, the Sethekk saw Auchindoun blow up and went there. The Sethekk worship Terokk and Anzu/the Old God, but not Rukhmar. They thought that the Dark Conclave had been successful there. The Sethekk cult tried to use the powers of Outland and their God to attack the Emerald Dream with Anzu and his ravens, but they too were stopped by heroes, and the Old God's plans were foiled.

Now Terokk, looking down from wherever, felt it was time to return. He waged war against the Light by speaking through this talonpriests. Rather than use new talonpriests, he used ones from the past, brought to the future. The non-Sethekk arakkoa settlements of Terokkar united under him. To prove their loyalty, the arakkoa had to kill the four descendants of the four heroes that stood against him all those years ago when the stars are right. Unfortunately for him, the Skettis exiles have exclamation marks above their heads.

Here is where the playable race comes in.

What was left of the arakkoa of Skettis turned away from the Old God and Anzu. They once again looked toward Terokk, but this time it was a different Terokk. Not the Terokk that they were trying to summon, not a kinder and gentler Terokk, but one with green name floating above his head. He has stolen the secrets of the Light. Just kidding. This Terokk was still the cruel hero of old, but he had battled the Old God in Shadowmoon Valley. He was scarred, and had a different look about him. This being had dared turn his own flock against him. They would pay.

He called to the shadows and opened a portal to Azeroth. He would lend his arakkoa to what ever side of the silly Horde/Alliance war that would have him. The Horde seemed more shadowy. He brought all of Skettis through the portal, landing it on a pool of exposed lava in Kalimdor brought about by the Cataclysm. Fused the Azeroth's crust, Skettis was not a perminant part of Azeroth. Terokk began warping the surrounding land to more resemble their shadowy, terocone-filled home, but the humiliated Old God of the Emerald Dream fought back. Their energies clashed forming not a safe arakkoa haven, but a shadowy nightmare. Now, the surviving arakkoa must face the many new threats of this world, and aid their new "allies", if only to eventually gain revenge on the Old Gods that ruined their civilization.

Last edited by Revenant; 12-05-2009 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: Tweaks.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 12-05-2009, 04:55 PM
HalfElfDragon HalfElfDragon is offline

The draconic Titleless - Mod
HalfElfDragon's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 15,545
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLore View Post
Wouldnt a Hunter make more sense then a Warlock? As far as I know, there are no Arakkoa Warlocks in-game.

Also we need lore like why do they join the X faction and why do they leave Outland (if thats what we are going with).
My version of the arakkoa keep their present darkness. I just think warlock would be a very good fit for them. Technically, we never saw any Worgen warlocks either, but worgen are getting warlocks. Meanwhile, Arakkoa just don't strike me as the hunter type.

In my version, they leave Outland because they realize that its most likely doomed. Thy join the Alliance due to the light-following Skettis Exiles and the Druids (I still see druidism as a very Night Elven thing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post


He called to the shadows and opened a portal to Azeroth. He would lend his arakkoa to what ever side of the silly Horde/Alliance war that would have him. The Horde seemed more shadowy. He brought all of Skettis through the portal, landing it on a pool of exposed lava in Kalimdor brought about by the Cataclysm. Fused the Azeroth's crust, Skettis was not a perminant part of Azeroth. Terokk began warping the surrounding land to more resemble their shadowy, terocone-filled home, but the humiliated Old God of the Emerald Dream fought back. Their energies clashed forming not a safe arakkoa haven, but a shadowy nightmare. Now, the surviving arakkoa must face the many new threats of this world, and aid their new "allies", if only to eventually gain revenge on the Old Gods that ruined their civilization.
May I ask wheree this Skettis is located in Azeroth?

Last edited by HalfElfDragon; 12-05-2009 at 05:01 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 12-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Revenant Revenant is offline

Revenant - Moderator
Revenant's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,278

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
May I ask where this Skettis is located in Azeroth?
You may. I just said Kalimdor, but I was thinking southeastern Feralas. Somewhere with trees. In that big gap southwest of the Thousand Needles border.

Edit: What did you think of the rest?

Last edited by Revenant; 12-05-2009 at 05:13 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 12-05-2009, 06:07 PM
HalfElfDragon HalfElfDragon is offline

The draconic Titleless - Mod
HalfElfDragon's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 15,545
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
You may. I just said Kalimdor, but I was thinking southeastern Feralas. Somewhere with trees. In that big gap southwest of the Thousand Needles border.

Edit: What did you think of the rest?
If they go Alliance, how about the Isle of Dread? Its rather pointless as it stands

And for your idea in general... its good, but they seem a bit too evil to be a player race, more so than the forsaken ever did. Perhaps Terokk is overthrown over the course of the expansion or something
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 12-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Urth Urth is offline

Eternal
Urth's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,914

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
I just think druids fit well with Arakkoa. In my opinion, pretty much every class could work for Arakkoa. I just didn't give them Paladins and Hunters because I couldn't give them every class.
Oh me too, I also think Arrakoan Druids would be cool. The Druid class is so wrought with specific lore that the mystery of Anzu and how Outland and the Emerald Dream connect is woohoo interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
I don't Blizzard is though, as shown by the retroactive introduction of worgen and goblin death knights and the expansion of race/class combinations
Well yeah, but Goblin and Worgen are far more easily explained for the Death Knight class. And are we Blizzard all of a sudden? If we're just being creative, class limits don't even have to be limited to 8... is our goal to be as close to realistic as possible, or what? The Ogre/Helf Hero Race thing started as a 2 class only idea for me.

With authentic possibilities in mind, what would the "Alliance Arrakoa" Horde counterpart be? —cause if we're examining Druid potential, the list for an opposing Druid shortens the list dramatically.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 12-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Revenant Revenant is offline

Revenant - Moderator
Revenant's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,278

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
If they go Alliance, how about the Isle of Dread? Its rather pointless as it stands
Sure, but it would need to be bigger. The Cataclysm and Skettis' landing are good enough plot devices for that. I was thinking that their second zone be in the nightmare, so it does not have to fit onto/into Kalimdor exept for a small entrance part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
And for your idea in general... its good, but they seem a bit too evil to be a player race, more so than the forsaken ever did. Perhaps Terokk is overthrown over the course of the expansion or something
I was thinking at first that Terokk would become less evil because of his people turning his back on him, him getting killed at Skettis, and his duel with the Old God. However him 'softening' because of that and whatever else makes him see wimpy, so I changed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urth View Post
Oh me too, I also think Arrakoan Druids would be cool. The Druid class is so wrought with specific lore that the mystery of Anzu and how Outland and the Emerald Dream connect is woohoo interesting.
I agree.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 12-05-2009, 09:52 PM
HalfElfDragon HalfElfDragon is offline

The draconic Titleless - Mod
HalfElfDragon's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 15,545
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urth View Post
Oh me too, I also think Arrakoan Druids would be cool. The Druid class is so wrought with specific lore that the mystery of Anzu and how Outland and the Emerald Dream connect is woohoo interesting.
I agree


Quote:
Originally Posted by Urth View Post
Well yeah, but Goblin and Worgen are far more easily explained for the Death Knight class. And are we Blizzard all of a sudden? If we're just being creative, class limits don't even have to be limited to 8... is our goal to be as close to realistic as possible, or what? The Ogre/Helf Hero Race thing started as a 2 class only idea for me.
I tend to act like Blizzard when I determine classes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urth View Post
With authentic possibilities in mind, what would the "Alliance Arrakoa" Horde counterpart be? —cause if we're examining Druid potential, the list for an opposing Druid shortens the list dramatically.
I have a Expansion plan where Drakonid are a new race. Given the Green Dragonflight connection, they could be druids, but I'm hesitant to give them to the Horde.

Other possibilities are furbolg and pandaren. There is precedent for the former I believe, but not the latter, but I think it would fit the pandaren.

If arakkoa go Horde and get druid, then I say give druid to the draenei.

Of course, we could just make druid unavailable as a player class choice
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 12-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Rolandius Rolandius is offline

Elune
Rolandius's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: United States of America
Posts: 6,588

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
I agree

I tend to act like Blizzard when I determine classes

I have a Expansion plan where Drakonid are a new race. Given the Green Dragonflight connection, they could be druids, but I'm hesitant to give them to the Horde.

Other possibilities are furbolg and pandaren. There is precedent for the former I believe, but not the latter, but I think it would fit the pandaren.

If arakkoa go Horde and get druid, then I say give druid to the draenei.

Of course, we could just make druid unavailable as a player class choice
The drakonid are connected to all the dragon flights.
__________________
"Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious."
George Orwell
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 12-05-2009, 10:12 PM
HalfElfDragon HalfElfDragon is offline

The draconic Titleless - Mod
HalfElfDragon's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 15,545
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandius View Post
The drakonid are connected to all the dragon flights.
I know that. The idea I have for drakonid is that they are Chromatic. The green blood in them allows some of them to be druids
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 12-05-2009, 10:21 PM
Rolandius Rolandius is offline

Elune
Rolandius's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: United States of America
Posts: 6,588

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
I know that. The idea I have for drakonid is that they are Chromatic. The green blood in them allows some of them to be druids
I am not sure I understand you. The playable race idea would be chromatic drakonid or are you saying all drakonid are chromatic? Plus aren't the chromatics bad guys to both sides?
__________________
"Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious."
George Orwell
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 12-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,378
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandius View Post
I am not sure I understand you. The playable race idea would be chromatic drakonid or are you saying all drakonid are chromatic? Plus aren't the chromatics bad guys to both sides?
Can you not read or something? Seriously. He's saying the playable characters would be chromatic, we KNOW that other dragonflights have their own drakonids, as exemplified by those in the CoT and at Wyrmrest.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 12-06-2009, 12:14 AM
Rolandius Rolandius is offline

Elune
Rolandius's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: United States of America
Posts: 6,588

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Can you not read or something? Seriously. He's saying the playable characters would be chromatic, we KNOW that other dragonflights have their own drakonids, as exemplified by those in the CoT and at Wyrmrest.
Someone is asking me if I can't read or something who himself misreads posts...
__________________
"Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious."
George Orwell
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 12-06-2009, 04:13 AM
Lon-ami Lon-ami is offline

Elune
Lon-ami's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Spain
Posts: 12,552
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
In the beginning, there was Rukhmar. He was the god/ancient of the arakkoa. His form among the arakkoa was the hero known as Terokk. High above the forest, Terokk built Skettis. He was dark and evil, but not the most dark and evil.
So Terokk was something like his champion, his blessed warrior. I always though that, so nice to see I'm not the only one to think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
Many years later, a group of arakkoa was contacted by an Old God (this Old God was the one that was killed in Darkshore, and is the one in the Emerald Dream). The Old God spoke through the raven spirit know as Anzu. The Old God promised them untold power and status in the cosmos. It had helped Anzu kill the other bird spirits before hand. This raven cult gained power, but was still heretics in the eyes of Skettis, and hid in the Blade's Edge Mountains.
I would make this happen way earlier, after the Dark Portal was opened. As for the Dark Conclave, we don't know if they had any relationship with any Old God from before what we saw at TBC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
At some point, a group consisting of a heretical arakkoa that worshipped Anzu, a crystal giant, a land stalker (whatever warp stalkers were before Outland came to be), and a wind serpent stood against Terokk. The heretical arakkoa wanted to kill him in the name of the Old God, and was only using the other three as pawns. The other three hated Terokk for his cruelty and conquest. The group was defeated, but its members lived on and its members had children.
Nice the Old God was behind this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
Back at Skettis, the Sethekk saw Auchindoun blow up and went there. The Sethekk worship Terokk and Anzu/the Old God, but not Rukhmar. They thought that the Dark Conclave had been successful there. The Sethekk cult tried to use the powers of Outland and their God to attack the Emerald Dream with Anzu and his ravens, but they too were stopped by heroes, and the Old God's plans were foiled.
So they worship Terokk, much like every forest trolls worshiped Zul'jin, no matter they didn't have the same goals? Since, well, if they don't worship Rukhmar, then the only reason to worship Terokk would be one based on nostalgia and his heroism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
He called to the shadows and opened a portal to Azeroth. He would lend his arakkoa to what ever side of the silly Horde/Alliance war that would have him. The Horde seemed more shadowy. He brought all of Skettis through the portal, landing it on a pool of exposed lava in Kalimdor brought about by the Cataclysm. Fused the Azeroth's crust, Skettis was not a perminant part of Azeroth. Terokk began warping the surrounding land to more resemble their shadowy, terocone-filled home, but the humiliated Old God of the Emerald Dream fought back. Their energies clashed forming not a safe arakkoa haven, but a shadowy nightmare. Now, the surviving arakkoa must face the many new threats of this world, and aid their new "allies", if only to eventually gain revenge on the Old Gods that ruined their civilization.
I love that "we're on Azeroth to kill that damn Old God and get ourselves clean of its influence" thing .

Good idea, over all.
__________________


Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 12-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Revenant Revenant is offline

Revenant - Moderator
Revenant's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,278

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
So Terokk was something like his champion, his blessed warrior. I always though that, so nice to see I'm not the only one to think so.
More or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
I would make this happen way earlier, after the Dark Portal was opened. As for the Dark Conclave, we don't know if they had any relationship with any Old God from before what we saw at TBC.
You mean way later, after the Dark Portal was opened?

I know we don't know. I made it up to make the story more complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
So they worship Terokk, much like every forest trolls worshiped Zul'jin, no matter they didn't have the same goals? Since, well, if they don't worship Rukhmar, then the only reason to worship Terokk would be one based on nostalgia and his heroism.
Right. He was a hero, he had a saga, and everyone knew him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
I love that "we're on Azeroth to kill that damn Old God and get ourselves clean of its influence" thing .

Good idea, over all.
Thanks.

Does anyone else have any more arakkoa ideas?

Last edited by Revenant; 12-07-2009 at 01:01 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 12-07-2009, 06:56 PM
HalfElfDragon HalfElfDragon is offline

The draconic Titleless - Mod
HalfElfDragon's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 15,545
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post

I was thinking at first that Terokk would become less evil because of his people turning his back on him, him getting killed at Skettis, and his duel with the Old God. However him 'softening' because of that and whatever else makes him see wimpy, so I changed it.
Wimpy is bad, but so is evil. I think a situation similar to what seems to be going on in the goblin starting zone would be interesting, ie he's their leader but they don't support him
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 12-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Urth Urth is offline

Eternal
Urth's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,914

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
Does anyone else have any more arakkoa ideas?
I kind of do, but each time I sit down I feel I need to go back and better understand the Veil differences, to see if they're more functionally different, subject to castes, or merely displaced. I know they're just dropped wherever, but if I can give them more meaning, that's my job. We already know the Skettis Exiles aren't fond of the other Terrokar flocks, but are they allies or at least Neutral with the Dark Conclave? Grishnath? Apexis? I know the game isn't this thorough —but I tend to be, regardless. I made Fiora Longears a moonwell smuggler; I look at bigger pictures.

One thing I'm struggling with is that I really don't think the Alliance would embrace them. The Draenei were taken in undoubtedly because of their nobility, faith, and cultural extremes: they're both gentle and draconian. Those are things the most stubborn Alliance can respect. The Worgen on the other hand, are Humans. Plus they mysteriously exhibit Night Elven characteristics. So of course the Alliance would re-absorb them.

Arrakoa on the other hand would need a significant amount of disenfranchisement and humility to be allowed into the ranks of the Alliance. I don't think Wrynn would share his dinner table with Arrakoans, and Fandral certainly wouldn't share the Dream with them. While I agree that the Skettis Exiles would find allegiance with the Draenei, I'm not certain the Draenei would express invitations on behalf of the Alliance, much less to a race that seethes in dark sorcery.

So would they join Horde? I'm not convinced of that option either. Arrakoa would be prejudiced against Orcs for their involvement in shattering Draenor. It's doubtful they would throw themselves into a crew on an alien world that is led by the same people that destroyed their previous one. Still, the personalities of the Horde are more compliant with a "dark and dangerously malevolent" Arrakoan race. Trolls have rituals like them, Blood Elves have a reliance on sorcery like them. Tauren may emerge the ultimate peacemaker if they see the Emerald Dream connection and do the majority of the reaching out. Bonus points if you see Tauren as WoW's version of the Mystics. Horde is slightly more plausible as they have a very christian history of taking in the homeless and afflicted, but ehhh it doesn't sing to me.

So I'm stuck with the sad idea of trying to build a third faction from scratch and few phased islands floating over Draenor. And that's pretty boring because the innkeepers in every +25 zone would kill them in no time. And crap I have to go to work.... talk more later folks.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 12-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Lon-ami Lon-ami is offline

Elune
Lon-ami's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Spain
Posts: 12,552
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default

Well, Mystics would be the Apexis, in my opinion, being the non-evil version of the Arakkoa.

The Arakkoa have a lot of potential, but most of it was wasted (as usual -_-) and the lore we have about them is scattered across Outland.

So, what if we try, using all the sources we find, to gather everything related to the Arakkoa, from quests to in-game books, and build something readable about them?

We could use this some thread or open a new one, but I wouldn't open a new thread without people wanting to help research.
__________________


Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 12-08-2009, 02:29 PM
RobLore RobLore is offline

Eternal
RobLore's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sweden!
Posts: 4,164

Default

The Prophecy of the Raven God (Anzu)

From the darkest night shall rise again the raven, shall take flight in the shadows, shall reveal the nature of its kind. Prepare yourself for its coming, for the faithful shall be elevated to take flight with the raven, the rest be forgotten to walk upon the ground, clipped wings and shame.

Steel your minds and guard your thoughts. The dark wings will cloud and consume the minds of the weak, a flock of thralls whose feet may never leave the ground.

The Old blood will flow once again with the coming of the raven, the return of the darkness in the skies. Scarlet night, and the rise of the old.

The raven was struck down once for flying too high, unready. The eons have prepared the Dark Watcher for its ascent, to draw the dark cloak across the horizon.


From the darkest night shall rise again the raven, shall take flight in the shadows, shall reveal the nature of its kind. Prepare yourself for its coming, for the faithful shall be elevated to take flight with the raven, the rest be forgotten to walk upon the ground, clipped wings and shame.
- Anzu shall rise again. He shall take the flight to the shadows and reveal the nature of his kind/race. The Arakkoa should prepare themself for his comming and the faithful shall be elevated to take flight with Anzu (perhaps to the Emerald Dream?). The rest (the unfaithful) will remain onb the ground.
Speculation: Anzu has already been on Draenor in some form. Then he was banished or something. According to the prophecy Anzu will return and lift the faithful Arakkoa. Perhaps to assit the Old God to fight the Cenarius etc in the Emerald Dream.

Steel your minds and guard your thoughts. The dark wings will cloud and consume the minds of the weak, a flock of thralls whose feet may never leave the ground.
- The Arakkoa should steal their minds and guard their thoughts. Anzu will consume the minds of the weak and those that remain on the ground shall be a flock of thralls/slaves. It hints at an Old God related mind control/insanity.
Speculation: Those that remain shall be the slaves of the Old God/Anzu outside of the Dream.

The Old blood will flow once again with the coming of the raven, the return of the darkness in the skies. Scarlet night, and the rise of the old.
- The Old Gods blood (!) will flow once again with the coming of Anzu (the return of the darkness in the skies). Scarlet (blood) night and the rise of the Old God (is it meant to be plural?).
Speculation: The "Old" is the Old God in the Nightmare.

The raven was struck down once for flying too high, unready. The eons have prepared the Dark Watcher for its ascent, to draw the dark cloak across the horizon.
- Anzu was once on Draenor but struck down/defeated (by Terokk?). However, the eons have prepared the Dark Watcher (the nickname of the Old God or another name for Anzu?) for its comming. It will draw a dark cloak/darkness across the horizon.
Speculation: Eon might refer to billions of years (not likely) or just age in general (more likely). So I think the "translation" should be "The ages have prepared the Dark Watcher for his/her return, to draw darkness across the horizon.

So from this information we can asume that;

1. Anzu has been on Draenor before. Maybe not in his current form. But he was defeated.
2. Anzu/the Old God has a relation to the Raven Cult in Blade's Edge Mountains. The prophecy says that Anzu shall lift them up and they will join him in his flight. Perhaps the Raven Cult would assist the Old God in the Emerald Dream though it might also be useful to have some servants in the waking world.
3. Anzus return will bring darkness etc bla bla bla.
4. The Dark Watcher is either the Old God but more likely just another name for Anzu. Why would the Old God want to come to Draenor? Wouldnt it be more useful to take over the Emerald Dream and from there close all portals etc and then launch an assault to all the worlds connected to the Emerald Dream?
5. The Old might either refer to Anzu or the Old God. However, the "blood" hints at the Old God and the rise of the Old sounds typically "Old Godish" ("The Old Gods shall rise once again and bring a new age of chaos!")
6. Those that remain shall be the slaves for the Old God/Anzu and it will "consume" the minds of those that remain.

Anyway.
I think it would be a nice twist if this Old God was a female for once!

The way I view it is that Anzu is an avatar of the Old God, sent down to "manipulate" the Arakkoa to help the Old God.
Then he seeks to get some "reinforcements" in the Arakkoa (and perhaps more races from them) within the Emerald Nightmare aswell as some servants in the waking world. Anzu is the Old Gods tool of manipulation and propaganda.

The Anzu and Druid story is really interesting and the Emerald Dream expansion is a perfect way to introduce two new Druid races (and then we have enough Druids in my opinion).
Though this would probably make the Emerald Dream the fifth expansion (the one after the Maelstrom/Sea) and Blizzard might think that we leave Azeroth to long if they do two "Plane/Otherworld" expansions in a row (asuming that the Twisting Nether comes after the Emerald Dream expansion, this would however make the Arakkoa story very good).

Last edited by RobLore; 12-08-2009 at 02:32 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 12-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Revenant Revenant is offline

Revenant - Moderator
Revenant's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,278

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Well, Mystics would be the Apexis, in my opinion, being the non-evil version of the Arakkoa.
What says the Apexis were good? The fact that Ogri'la is good? All we know is that they were advanced arakkoa who were killed by their constructs.

Sai'kkal the Elder and the other tribes in BEM makes me think they were powerful raven cultists.

http://www.wowhead.com/?npc=22932
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 12-08-2009, 06:15 PM
HalfElfDragon HalfElfDragon is offline

The draconic Titleless - Mod
HalfElfDragon's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 15,545
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
What says the Apexis were good? The fact that Ogri'la is good? All we know is that they were advanced arakkoa who were killed by their constructs.

Sai'kkal the Elder and the other tribes in BEM makes me think they were powerful raven cultists.

http://www.wowhead.com/?npc=22932
Nothing really says what their alianment was, but having them be good makes making them into playable races much easier
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 12-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Urth Urth is offline

Eternal
Urth's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,914

Default

Quote:
From the darkest night shall rise again the raven, shall take flight in the shadows, shall reveal the nature of its kind. Prepare yourself for its coming, for the faithful shall be elevated to take flight with the raven, the rest be forgotten to walk upon the ground, clipped wings and shame.

Steel your minds and guard your thoughts. The dark wings will cloud and consume the minds of the weak, a flock of thralls whose feet may never leave the ground.

The Old blood will flow once again with the coming of the raven, the return of the darkness in the skies. Scarlet night, and the rise of the old.

The raven was struck down once for flying too high, unready. The eons have prepared the Dark Watcher for its ascent, to draw the dark cloak across the horizon.
See this is the shit I'm talking about. A "prophecy" like this one SHOULD have revealed a great deal about the Arrakoa, and how the happenings of Blade's Edge interacted with the Arrakoa in Terrokar. But it's so oblique and references a "Dark Watcher" and you can't tell if Anzu is a good guy or a bad one to the author of the prophecy.

***

Ok rereading the "prophecy" I think the raven is code for the Arrakoan people. Dark Watcher might also mean the Arrakoa, or the special Arrakoa who are "faithful". The only thing that's throwing me off is the dark wings that cloud and confuse. A mass of dark wings would be a positive in this interpretation...

Ugh gimme some time. I really want a sinister and macabre paradigm for the Arrakoa and every time I manage to get them to joining a faction, they lose a LOT of malevolence for the sake of allegiance. They could lie, of course, but the end result would be humiliation.

Last edited by Urth; 12-08-2009 at 11:19 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 12-08-2009, 10:55 PM
HalfElfDragon HalfElfDragon is offline

The draconic Titleless - Mod
HalfElfDragon's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 15,545
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Default

Do people want to start voting for the next racestorm?
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 12-08-2009, 11:20 PM
Urth Urth is offline

Eternal
Urth's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,914

Default

I vote Furbolg, that's an easy one.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
collaboration, creative

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.