Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 06-15-2014, 05:45 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroombie View Post
Point still stands. If medicine is what it takes for someone to achieve what they want, then more power to them. In some ways, I almost wish I'd been prescribed certain drugs, because I've seen the effects with some friends and it is remarkable.
The problem is when the effects begin to weaken and you still are left with a dependency.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:55 PM

Elune

Old 06-15-2014, 06:38 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dithon1 View Post

I'd rather not end up a fat neckbeard who's too caught up in his own fantasies to make anything of himself.
If you don't want to end up like that, then why do you feel as such when you are not on this drug? What is the root of the lack of motivation you feel when not on the drug?
Old 06-15-2014, 07:11 PM

Needs A Hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagan View Post
If you don't want to end up like that, then why do you feel as such when you are not on this drug? What is the root of the lack of motivation you feel when not on the drug?
Something something brain chemistry.

Possibly undiagnosed depression. Runs in the family, after all.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:53 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dithon1 View Post
Something something brain chemistry.

Possibly undiagnosed depression. Runs in the family, after all.
There is always a root. Don't let yourself be abused by diagnoses, medicines and doctors. Mental health isn't the science that psychiatrists like to purport it is. You need to figure out why you feel how you feel, and you need to parry with that root until you can extricate it.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:43 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

How do people feel about e-cigs? Are they safer than cigarettes? Is it safer than smoking weed? Is it safe to use period?
Old 06-18-2014, 07:01 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

People with no medical background, telling a person with diagnosed ADD/ADHD to stop taking prescribed medicine because reasons, need to fuck off.

Dithon, have you spoken to the psychiatrist who prescribed the pills to you? It's not uncommon that patients have to change their medicine and/or dosage as time wears on, both because you might be habituated to them or because your life situation has changed. The medicine that worked for you when you were a 16-17 year old teenager might no longer be suited for you now, not only because of age, but because of various things having happened inside and outside of you, which may have altered how you process things. '

So fuck everyone on this forum and what they are saying (including me), and go see a medical professional.

Quote:
Mental health isn't the science that psychiatrists like to purport it is.
Oh, fuck you. This falls right into the don't vaccinate your children-crew.

Quote:
You need to figure out why you feel how you feel, and you need to parry with that root until you can extricate it.
This, on the other hand, I agree with. Medication isn't the automatic answer to everything - but that's a decision you need to discuss and take with yourself, your family and your doctor - not with strangers on the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
How do people feel about e-cigs?
I think they look pretty.

Quote:
Are they safer than cigarettes?
Yes.

Quote:
Is it safer than smoking weed?
Depends on what you put in it. You can smoke weed with them as well.

Quote:
Is it safe to use period?
Smoking is never safe. It's a safer alternative to normal cigarettes, because they're without tar. But they still have nicotine, and some flavouring chemicals might be unhealthier than others.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:23 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
People with no medical background, telling a person with diagnosed ADD/ADHD to stop taking prescribed medicine because reasons, need to fuck off.

Oh, fuck you. This falls right into the don't vaccinate your children-crew.

This, on the other hand, I agree with. Medication isn't the automatic answer to everything - but that's a decision you need to discuss and take with yourself, your family and your doctor - not with strangers on the internet.
My mother is a psychiatrist, and I have a lot of personal experience in this regard. If someone has polio, it is easy to figure out that they have polio. Polio has easily determined physical symptoms which can be observed without the subjective input of the patient. If someone is diagnosed with "depression", on the other hand, the basis for that diagnosis is usually based on what a patient says that they feel. This is not a criteria that is concrete, or tangible.

Mental health diagnoses are very subjective. Most mental health professionals only base their diagnoses on what the patient tells them. However, many patients have difficulty expressing themselves, to say the least, and of course much of what the patient says must be interpreted by the doctor. A doctor might say "you have depression", but it isn't really clear what that means. Throw the person on a few anti-depressants, or maybe anti-anxiety drugs, and that's that, they might say. But that never really works, and leads to a cycle of drug abuse, ignoring substantial problems that actually exist which cannot be solved by drugs.

It isn't at all comparable to "anti-vaccination" nonsense. Fundamentally, a psychiatrist doesn't know much more than anyone else, merely that they are given a book of subjective criteria that they must then apply to the subjective words of a patient's behaviour. There are some mental-health diagnoses that are less subjective, and which have more objective criteria. However, diagnoses like "depression", "anxiety", and "ADHD", are not clear, and quite unhelpful to the patients themselves.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:04 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
I'm not telling people to stop taking them as that should be up to the doctor decision. I'm however warning that there are negative consequences to them, and that I personally wouldn't want to take them.

Tags
eye of kilrog