Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 10:05 AM

Arch-Druid

Old 04-18-2014, 10:07 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

I wouldn't mind a new yeti model, though.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:31 PM

Elune

Draenor and Azeorth share so many animals already I don't see a problem with yetis too.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:36 PM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignac View Post
Draenor and Azeorth share so many animals already I don't see a problem with yetis too.
Yetis are a race, not an animal though.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 04-18-2014, 12:38 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Yetis are a race, not an animal though.
Don't forget, Draenor apparently had Makrura just like Azeroth does, so there is precedent for a humanoid race to be present on both worlds.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:41 PM

Eternal

So both Makura and Lobstrok could be from Lobster ancients from Azeroth/Draenor.

Yetis are what, ram-people?
Old 04-18-2014, 12:42 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
They're humanoids, really stupid humanoids, but they aren't animals. Really, they should stop with this homogenization alrea... No... Leave me... I don't want to believe in the Light, I will never believe that Titans created all life in the universe! Elune isn't a Naaru! Let me go! NO! N-N-O-O-O-O!!!

...Homogenization is the only way towards good storytelling in Warcraft. Homogenization is the answer. Join us. Meet the future, that Lorken, the son of Kosak, foretold eons ago.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
So both Makura and Lobstrok could be from Lobster ancients from Azeroth/Draenor.

Yetis are what, ram-people?
Horned gorillas.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:47 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiraser View Post
They're humanoids, really stupid humanoids, but they aren't animals. Really, they should stop with this homogenization alrea... No... Leave me... I don't want to believe in the Light, I will never believe that Titans created all life in the universe! Elune isn't a Naaru! Let me go! NO! N-N-O-O-O-O!!!

...Homogenization is the only way towards good storytelling in Warcraft. Homogenization is the answer. Join us. Meet the future, that Lorken, the son of Kosak, foretold eons ago.
Complete homogenization is bad.

Getting things organized into one coherent cosmology and such is less so.

We do know the Titans visited Draenor, but we also know that they didn't stay long.

Clearly the Titans who visited Draenor were caught unawares by a Flesh Curse trap left there to spite them by the Old Gods, and they mutated into a deformed Trogg-like state that we may know as the Fomor.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:49 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakhed View Post

We do know the Titans visited Draenor, but we also know that they didn't stay long.

Clearly the Titans who visited Draenor were caught unawares by a Flesh Curse trap left there to spite them by the Old Gods, and they mutated into a deformed Trogg-like state that we may know as the Fomor.
I really need to start using different color text, when I'm joking.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I knew it!
Old 04-18-2014, 12:51 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakiba View Post
Don't forget, Draenor apparently had Makrura just like Azeroth does, so there is precedent for a humanoid race to be present on both worlds.
But as far as we can tell, makrura are far more advanced race, while bogstrok aren't even able to speak. And at the very least, they look differently.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:58 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Don't evade the point.

Draenor is obviously a holding facility for the mutant Titan casualties from Azeroth until they could be successfully cured.

Orcs are therefore descendants of the actual Titans, rather than mutations of their creations.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:24 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Don't evade the point.

Draenor is obviously a holding facility for the mutant Titan casualties from Azeroth until they could be successfully cured.

Orcs are therefore descendants of the actual Titans, rather than mutations of their creations.
I approve of this, Lorken mentioned trap too.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:42 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Quote:
Humanoids are animals too!
Old 04-18-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
Humanoids are animals too!
Not necessarily. Remember the sprites.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:05 PM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:

Oh god please no,

I dont want the orcs origins to be thematically opposed to theiir modern selves, this would rob them of any unique history

My Worldbuilding:
Old 04-21-2014, 05:27 PM

Elune

Arakkoa Archaeology. The Arakk mentioned in the first round of datamining appears to have been scrapped, though now it begs the question if Rukhmar is the sun god then how come the darkness arakkoa who follow Terokk are opposed to him, if Terokk supposedly is Rukhmar?

Dreamcatcher - When Terokk returned from exile he was broken and flightless. Rumors of his cursed state swept like wildfire through the Arakkoa, giving rise to superstitious charms and cures. Dreamcatchers endure as one of the most clung-to icons of safety, for the Arakkoa believe the curse will entangle itself in the dreamcatcher and fade in the morning sunlight.

Burial Urn - In death all Arakkoa seek to join the Sun-God Rukhmar in the skies above Draenor, thus cremation is vastly preferred to burial. Some have their ashes scattered high in the skies, others are collected in ornate urns and placed in crypts.

Decree Scrolls - The incomplete writings here seem to indicate a decree of a sort of martial law, and reminders to be vigilant for signs of the curse amongst neighbors and friends.

Solar Orb PH - Central to High Arakkoan culture is reverence of Rukhmar and the sun. Hundreds of Solar Orbs are scattered around [Explosion Town], which cast a never-ending light so no Arakkoan need go without the sun's warmth, even on a cold and overcast day.

Sundial - This delicately-engraved instrument, when positioned correctly, acts as both a sundial and an arakkoa seasonal calendar. The base of the instrument is covered with callouts for celestial events, most of which are accompanied by grave warnings. Interestingly, the device seems to have cryptically predicted the arrival of the draenei a century before it happened.

Talonpriest Mask - Believing they have been abandoned by the sun, cursed Arakkoa prefer to hide in the forests or beneath awnings during daylight hours. Talonpriests take this a step further and never show their faces to the sun, wearing ritual masks that act as a focus for their communes with Anzu.

Outcast Dreamcatcher - Outcast Arakkoa have repurposed the dreamcatcher not to ward off the Curse of Sethe, but to capture and harvest tiny amounts of essences from their lost gods. Rumors persist of an ever-growing mass of swirling energy buried deep beneath Skettis, whispering promises of power to any who will listen...

Apexis Crystal - Scattered in the most ancient of ruins on Draenor are fragments and whispers of the Apexis civilization, who attained a height of power during the Age of Order and then abruptly vanished. The arrival of the Iron Horde has prompted a secret but urgent escalation in retriving Apexis artifacts by the Adherents.

Apexis Hieroglyph - Brittle and ancient beyond measure, this stone tablet contains carvings that vaguely describe an engine of incredible power, claiming to harness the power of the sun.

Apexis Scroll - This battered scroll case has corroded shut, and the scroll within is barely readable with very careful examination. These appear to be plans and measurements for a glorious Temple in the Sky written in an ancient hand. It's unclear whether such a splendid structure was ever built.

Beakbreaker of Terokk - Eschewing traditional Arakkoan weaponry, Terokk carried this cudgel as a symbol of his fall from king to outcast heretic. Rumors have persisted for centuries that rather than employing traditional wing-cutting as a punishment, Terokk simply shattered the beaks of those who dared to oppose him.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:35 PM

World Builder

Runes

VERY interesting stuff there, particularly with mentions of anzu, a god underneath skettis, and other 'lost gods'.

EDIT:

I bet the Apexis all got into the Sky Temple when it was finished and that's why they 'vanished'.

My Worldbuilding:

Last edited by Mutterscrawl; 04-21-2014 at 09:38 PM..
Old 04-21-2014, 10:04 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
VERY interesting stuff there, particularly with mentions of anzu, a god underneath skettis, and other 'lost gods'.
Combined with what we know of their culture from BC, as seen on this page, and we can kind of piece together the arakkoa's story.

Originally they worshiped the sun god Rukhmar, and some proclaimed that Terokk was Rukhmar in physical form. The Curse of Sethe (nice tie-in to the Sethekk there, their unnamed master is probably one of the lost gods) is what clips arakkoa wings and transforms them into the BC appearance, and the cursed ones turned to Anzu and other lost gods, the naming of which seems to imply that they were the arakkoa gods before the worship of Rukhmar. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that Anzu created them in the same manner Agamaggan made the quilboar, or Ursoc and Ursol the furbolg. And even despite their exile and turning away of Rukhmar in pursuit of black magic, the cursed arakkoa still seem to venerate and idolize Terokk, as we see in BC when they work to revive him.

All that's left to see is why Terokk was declared a heathen and exiled if he was believed to actually be Rukhmar. I'd also like to learn why all the mobs in BC Skettis were "time-lost."

Quote:
I bet the Apexis all got into the Sky Temple when it was finished and that's why they 'vanished'.
It's probably something like that, yeah.Sky Temple just screams "arakkoa raid" to me. It could potentially be a very cool-looking zone.

With that said, goodbye.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:11 PM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
I'd also like to learn why all the mobs in BC Skettis were "time-lost."

It's probably something like that, yeah.Sky Temple just screams "arakkoa raid" to me. It could potentially be a very cool-looking zone.
I'd bet those things are related actually.

The Time-Lost Skettis Arakkoa may be in charge of finding the Apexis Sky Temple which wasn't in TBC because after it was completed it probably stuck itself in a time bubble to protect itself from the Apexis-Crystal empowered "Destroyers" (remember those colossi? Betting some Gronn ate Apexis Crystals along with some ogres and fucked up the Apexis).

The Sky Temple isn't in TBC because it's stil "Time Lost"

But NOW The whole of Draenor is "Time-Lost"

Now the Sky Temple will reappear.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 04-21-2014, 10:38 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
All that's left to see is why Terokk was declared a heathen and exiled if he was believed to actually be Rukhmar. I'd also like to learn why all the mobs in BC Skettis were "time-lost."
Actually it says heretic, not heathen. A heathen is basically a nonbeliever, while a heretic is a believer who violates the accepted tenets of his faith.

Which, when one thinks of it, could very well fit. Legends spoke of some arakkoa thinking Terokk was in fact Rhukmar himself in the flesh. Perhaps Terokk and his followers - other arakkoa who believed him to be Rhukmar - were cursed and cast out by those arakkoa who considered such a belief to be blasphemous.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:48 PM

Hon hon hon

What I find most intriguing is the fact that the Arakkoa posses a calendar which is able to predict the future, if only in a cryptic fashion. Somehow, I feel that Terrok and his followers will be the Klaxxi of this expansion, in a reversed sense of the term : the Klaxxi were protecting the "orthodoxy" of the Mantid Empire, while Terrok's follower will be the "Heretics" trying to forcefully change the Arakkoa. I could totally see us trying to retrieve other Sundials to try to read the future after Velen's death but before the coming of the main Factions in 6.1.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:59 AM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Combined with what we know of their culture from BC, as seen on this page, and we can kind of piece together the arakkoa's story.

Originally they worshiped the sun god Rukhmar, and some proclaimed that Terokk was Rukhmar in physical form. The Curse of Sethe (nice tie-in to the Sethekk there, their unnamed master is probably one of the lost gods) is what clips arakkoa wings and transforms them into the BC appearance, and the cursed ones turned to Anzu and other lost gods, the naming of which seems to imply that they were the arakkoa gods before the worship of Rukhmar. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that Anzu created them in the same manner Agamaggan made the quilboar, or Ursoc and Ursol the furbolg. And even despite their exile and turning away of Rukhmar in pursuit of black magic, the cursed arakkoa still seem to venerate and idolize Terokk, as we see in BC when they work to revive him.

I think it is more that Anzu took the flightless arakkoa under his wing.

The other gods are lost because they got rid of them.

http://wowpedia.org/Quest:The_Raven_Stones

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:42 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Arakkoa Archaeology. The Arakk mentioned in the first round of datamining appears to have been scrapped, though now it begs the question if Rukhmar is the sun god then how come the darkness arakkoa who follow Terokk are opposed to him, if Terokk supposedly is Rukhmar?
Alpha is Alpha, and Archaeology is Archaeology and necessarily pertains to stuff as it once was and not necessarily as it is.

Nothing has necessarily been scrapped, but the information presented may not be the most up-to-date for either reason.

For instance, the archaeology doesn't present anything "Dread" about Rukhmar. If anything, it presents the Outcasts as corrupted, sinister, and evil. And maybe they are?

However, the High Arakkoa seem benign here. And maybe they were. But the mentions of martial law and other such things start telling us a certain tale of a people who had eventually been consumed by paranoia and zealotry in their rejection of all darkness. Their Solar Orbs mean they never have to go even a minute outside the Sun's light.

They've banished everything dark or shadowy from their society, and I think... I think they fucked up. Also. I think they may have fucked up big.

How else would Rukhmar become a Dread God?

Basically, I think they did something which seemed good at first, but the problems that resulted started to build up slowly until they couldn't.

We don't even know what originally got Terokk banished, as his transformation only really became known after he returned.

I think I can easily tell how Terokk could be Rukhmar.

He could be Rukhmar in a similar sense to how Arakk could be Rukhmar.

I think... I think that at some point the Arakkoa may have done something to their God. Something they didn't quite understand the consequences of, and likely done in the sincere belief that they were helping.

Anzu is presented to have mysterious origins separate from the rest of the fallen pantheon, and also seems flightless himself. From the sounds of it, he probably shares their curse though he promises that he and the faithful will fly once more...

So. My hypothesis.

At some point something happened, likely in rejection of darkness, and at first things were good. Perhaps they separated something darker from Rukhmar so he could continue to burn with pure light. But this darkness found new homes as it dispersed across the land, mingling with the essence of other beings and spirits to create Gods like Anzu. At some point, most of these Gods were destroyed, and their gathered darkness dispersed once more, this time finding homes in the Arakkoa themselves and Terokk in particular.

Terokk could then possibly be carrying around a significant amount of dark power that was once a part of Rukhmar, perhaps finding a large amount of it during his exile. Hell. Perhaps King Terrok was even the guy who killed the other Anzu-like entities and took in their collective darkness...

Whatever the case, some Arakkoa realized how they had fucked up, and that all the sacrifices and Christmas lights in the world wouldn't be anything more than treating a symptom. They figured that they would have to rectify whatever imbalance they had originally caused and reunite the darkness and light, despite how much their society hated darkness.

So, they followed what Terrok set out for them to do, as Terrok did come to be revered as a Prophet. Perhaps then he gained an understanding of what had gone wrong and what would be needed to rectify it when he absorbed his dose of the Curse of Sethe.

So, they faithfully gather up the remaining dark essence of their Gods to restore this darker side of Rukhmar, while in the meantime the other half of Rukhmar has been slowly degenerating. Unable to naturally restore or maintain itself, it now requires constant sacrifice to uphold its might and its personality has become unbalanced. As obsessed with maintaining purity and faith as its Adherents.

So. I guess... In short?

Both Terokk and Arakk could be considered to be Ruhkmar in some sense, just different and separated aspects of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
I think it is more that Anzu took the flightless arakkoa under his wing.

The other gods are lost because they got rid of them.

http://wowpedia.org/Quest:The_Raven_Stones
Those other Gods don't seem to have the same darkness ties as Anzu has, and are trapped in statues. I don't think they're likely to be the ones being Dreamcatchered and collected into a pile of dark powers.
Closed Thread

Tags
warlocks of draenor