Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2014, 11:17 AM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Lightbulb Over a year since Great War? -> New Project

Title says a lot. Some of you may know what the Great War of Lordaeron is/was. It was most surely the largest Warcraft fan project to date, spanning four years of community writing and encompassing enough words to make up what would likely be many books. It was a blast.

Since then, I started a forum RPG as an experiment, in a unique setting, called Shatterbridge. For various reasons that didn't quite work out. It also made me realise what elements of Great War's formula made it a success. I'm currently running a little horror story RP on a little forum of my own, with current and former SoL members participating.

Punchline.

At university I am being asked to undertake a small project in which I demonstrate organisational capabilities. I had a eureka moment where I realised my writing projects most definitely qualify for this, given the examples of other students' projects my tutor gave me.

So here's the deal. I plan on launching a new Forum RPG sometime soon. It will have all the best bits of Great War, on a smaller and more manageable scale. I'd like to recruit and advertise on Scrolls, though I may host the game itself on my little writing website, for multiple reasons. Amongst these reasons are that my writing projects no longer have anything to do with Warcraft, and also that since I am going to submit my work to university, I would like it to be on a website that is managed by me.

-

We're welcome to discuss just what kind of game we'd like to play, with some ground rules set by myself in advance. I plan on setting the game in a unique pre-designed setting, but what that setting is exactly isn't that important, because you'll be able to enter the game with no more than two or three paragraphs of introductory text. You don't need to read any histories or whatever to get involved. You'll play from an uncomplicated perspective, and the world can be fleshed out and explored as we go along.

It will be a human only fantasy-esque setting, but not necessarily stereotypical either. I'm not a fan of plain and boring.

I'd also like all players to more or less start together and pursue an overall similar if not identical goal, to keep things cohesive. An example would be a mercenary company, but you're all free to make suggestions.

Anybody interested enough to discuss it here?
Old 10-15-2014, 12:29 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

I'm game if I can find the spare time. I only have spare time this late in the evening as I'm either working or renovating. The drywalls aren't screwing themselves, you know.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 10-15-2014, 12:37 PM

Eternal

Kept hearing about this. How did this Great War worked anyway?

Watch my Warcraft 3 stuff in either YouTube, BitChute, DailyMotion, DTube, or FruitLab.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:39 PM

Elune

I'd be interested for sure.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ujimasa Hojo View Post
Kept hearing about this. How did this Great War worked anyway?
The thread is still there in the Warcraft RTS subforum, for reference. I think it can do a better job of explaining itself.

Thanks for the expressions of interest. I can guarantee you quality, discipline and dedication from my part. I've come a long way since Great War, though even then, things were a lot of fun.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:13 PM

Elune

I'm curious and potentially interested.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:19 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

*Shuffles awkwardly into the room, where he stands in the corner avoiding eye contact.*
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
*Shuffles awkwardly into the room, where he stands in the corner avoiding eye contact.*
Oh look, it's teenage me.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:42 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Can I join?
Old 10-15-2014, 04:23 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

You will die, drowned on your own fluids, and your lie of a god won't save you this time.

The admiral never forgets. You will pay for Star Vana.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 10-15-2014, 04:27 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

I'm thinking about set the background in the future of WC universe if we want to do a WC one? Or purely original background?
Old 10-15-2014, 06:30 PM

Eternal

Good luck on your upcoming project.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
I'm thinking about set the background in the future of WC universe if we want to do a WC one? Or purely original background?
Not going anywhere near Warcraft again.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:53 AM

Eternal

Im your man now and always Timo <3

Mercenaries have always had a special place in my hearth, Zaeed and the Black Company only reinforced that matter so you can count on that to color your expectations
Megatron: You've forgotten something else: I am your prisoner. I've been granted conditional bail while we look for the Knights of Cybertron. Where in my bail terms does it say—where precisely does it say—that I have to risk my life to save a handful of strangers? Where does it say that?

Skids taps Megatron's Autobot badge.

Skids: Right. There. What does that badge even mean to you? How has wearing it forced you to modify your behaviour? I'm serious! How has being an Autobot in any way prevented you from doing exactly what you want? Because if the answer is "it hasn't"—then nothing you've said or done in the last six months counts for anything.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:05 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

I can help, if I find the time. Probably won't be that of a major contributor, though.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:13 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timolas View Post
Not going anywhere near Warcraft again.
What if i hold your hand? We can go together
Old 10-17-2014, 09:54 AM

Not Sure If Trolling...

So humans only?
Old 10-17-2014, 10:45 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
So humans only?
All hail Emperor Wyrnn.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:14 AM

Blue Tome

So, let's get started.
I want you to contribute to the creative process.

What you will get to world build individually are the provinces from which your characters come, including, if you like, region-specific customs, noble houses and histories.

First, a brief introduction/guideline:
  • You are a subject of the realm of Otticia. Otticia is not a centralized state. Otticia is a mishmash of different duchies, principalities and even a few kingdoms, much like the Holy Roman Empire - except without a single head of state. In fact, the cultural analogue for Otticia is Germanic and Eastern European. As a starting location, this will give you, as writers, a sense of familiarity, though we may explore foreign lands that are both exotic and original.
  • The religion of Otticia is heavily centred around ancestor worship, and the belief that there is a Heaven. However, there are no gods in this religion, only ancestor spirits. The nobles rule by a divine mandate, which they believe is theirs by virtue of descent from an ancient High King, who had once succeeded in uniting Otticia into a single country with the guidance of Heaven. The histories differ on what happened after, but it is commonly agreed his children bickered and split up the kingdom, though their descendants always try to unite the country once again. So far none have succeeded.
  • Society is somewhat feudal, but there are many cities, towns and villages run by a burgeoning merchant class of Free Men, who maintain their autonomy by paying their taxes on time.

That's all you need to know about the world's setting. The rest is up to you to decide, by customizing your province of origin, as well as your character's back story.

The final bit of information important to you before you make your character is that you need to take into account where you are going to be starting the game - as a member of a mercenary company.

I haven't decided the details about the mercenary company as of yet, though I do know what your first assignment in the grander plot arc will be. So, feel free to make proposals and suggestions within the given framework for both your character, his province, and the mercenary company he has come to be a part of.

One final guideline. Don't just steal foreign words without altering them in some way at least. I don't think it's a good move to directly rip off a foreign language by naming a guy something like Schwert (the word sword, in German, to use a random example). And as I said, Otticia doesn't have to just be Germanic, it can include other European cultures as long as they're from the same geographic proximity and make sense as being part of the Ottician cultural group.

Pictured below: Otticia. South of the mountains is a foreign land, but the giant island is included in Otticia's territory.

As a final note, it's not too late for new people to sign up. I'll probably recruit elsewhere too.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2014, 06:45 AM

Priestess of the Moon

To reiterate on what you guys need to do (and also tell you guys that I'm assissting Tim in making this, hi), in an easy to understand format:

Come up with your Character. Why is he/she in a mercenary company? What does he/she get out of it? You kill for a living, is it your duty, your passion, or are you simply desensitised from your violent everyday?

Consider your character's Region of origin. Where is it located? On the great island in the west, by the mountains? by the sea? In the south, close to the neighbouring nation? It is small or grand, heavily cultivated or a mining colony? What is the ruling noble house? Are they disconnected from the trials of the common man or are they compassionate and fair? Are they locked into feuds with various other houses or are they trying their best to bring peace to the region once and for all?

Discuss among you what kind of Mercenary Company you all work for. Is it a band of brigands and opportunits, ready to do the dirty work of the nobles? A former unit in a noble army whose province was lost in a civil war? Or is it simply the result of a region stuck in perpetual wars, leaving orphans with no choice but to fight in the next war to earn a livelihood?

Last edited by devius; 10-21-2014 at 03:30 PM..
Old 10-20-2014, 09:42 AM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Taking square 3 horizontal, 5 vertical. Starting from the upper left corner.

Basically the mountains crossing.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:12 AM

Warden

I don't have the time to participate but I'll be following this thread. Good luck.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:37 AM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Come up with your Character. Why is he/she in a mercenary company? What does he/she get out of it? You kill for a living, is it your duty, your passion, or are you simply desensitised from you violent everyday?
Because he needs to live and master his skill, at the same time find "useful" assets to achieve his ambition.

Quote:
Consider your character's Region of origin. Where is it located? On the great island in the west, by the mountains? by the sea? In the south, close to the neighbouring nation? It is small or grand, heavily cultivated or a mining colony? What is the ruling noble house? Are they disconnected from the trials of the common man or are they compassionate and fair? Are they locked into feuds with various other houses or are they trying their best to bring peace to the region once and for all?
He actually doesn't know much, he was raised by his mentor. The training took all cross the region. His mentor was an adviser of the noble house. They were rich, powerful and arrogant. Not close to cruel and savage but they don't treat common folks nicely, either. All they want is just rule this land and enjoy their life. In the end they were slaughtered by my character and his mentor for the wealth they had.

Quote:
Discuss among you what kind of Mercenary Company you all work for is it a band of brigands and opportunits, ready to do the dirty work of the nobles? A former unit in a noble army whose province was lost in a civil war? Or is it simply the result of a region stuck in perpetual wars, leaving orphans with no choice but to fight in the next war to earn a livelihood?
Business is business, usually we help whoever pays us, but a few too low requests might get refused.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:18 AM

Elune

What's the tech level?

What about history? In terms of really big events like a world war, that sort of thing?

Is there already a list of countries, or can we just make one up and then argue over where it's placed? lol

Character sheets/format?
Old 10-20-2014, 11:25 AM

I was thinking Iron Age technology, and history in Otticia is a long, tedious series of petty rivalries and conflicts between the 'states' of Otticia, since it was a unitary state under a High King, and even before that. I figure the Ottician people migrated into the region a long time ago, but have no real idea of their origins beyond that.

As a player you'll get to design a 'state' within Otticia. I've already got foreign countries planned out, so we won't be working on those. For example, south of Otticia is the nation of Bhakhtar, which Otticia often raids casually.

I haven't written a lot of information about history, culture and the like because I don't want this to be an information dump. It's much more fun for players to collaborate on the simple things, and then learn about the world via interacting with it, rather than reading a wall of text before they even start playing.

You don't really need a character sheet, but a general format could go along the lines of:

Name:
Physical description:
Fears:
Best memories in life:
Goals in life:
Birthplace: (Which you may invent, along with information about the place)
Position in the mercenary company: (Open to discussion)

EDIT: We can also invent more background lore for Otticia together - that includes history.

Last edited by Timolas; 10-20-2014 at 11:31 AM..

Tags
collaboration, storytelling