Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 12-12-2016, 04:37 PM

Elune

Default Dunkirk Movie Thread

A military movie by Nolan? I am excited. I wonder how Nolan is going to portray a WWII battle especially one where Allied forces are in retreat.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:55 PM

Elune

Bravo Nolan.

Semi-relevant.

Old 12-12-2016, 04:56 PM

Elune

Eh, knowing Nolan I'm afraid of it ending up too stylish to sell tickets for IMAX. Eastern Front or proper WW1 movie when?
Old 12-13-2016, 08:57 AM

Hon hon hon

Is the role of the French army recognized, or is it one more English grandstanding revision of history ?
Old 12-13-2016, 09:14 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korath View Post
Is the role of the French army recognized, or is it one more English grandstanding revision of history ?
Yeah they're all stood at the maginot line wondering where the Germans are.
“Children are dying." Lull nodded. "That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words.”
Old 12-13-2016, 09:21 AM

Poor Soldier
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insipid_Lobster View Post
I say the next World War II movie someone makes we put in the part where we gotta kill French soldiers in North Africa. If we wanna be historically accurate.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:41 AM

Eternal

Perfidious Albion strikes again tehe
“Children are dying." Lull nodded. "That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words.”
Old 12-13-2016, 09:43 AM

Hon hon hon

So it's more anglo-saxon revisionism. Good, it'll save me some money.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:46 AM

Poor Soldier

Quote:
Perfidious Albion strikes again tehe
At least we can always bond over the silliness of the Frenchies.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:19 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnahar View Post
At least we can always bond over the silliness of the Frenchies.
It's pretty silly to judge how revisionist a movie is when only posters and a single trailer exist!!!
Old 12-13-2016, 10:31 AM

Elune

Quote:
To be fair, the entire point of the Maginot Line was to make Germans move through Belgium, so that worked out just as planned.
What didn't work out is that the Germans tried to move through the Ardennes all sneaky-like, while it was expected they'd go further north (where there was indeed a German diversionary strike). If the French had caught wind of the German advance in the Ardennes, the latter would have been screwed.
At least, that's how i understood it.

Last edited by ijffdrie; 12-13-2016 at 10:34 AM..
Old 12-13-2016, 10:52 AM

Poor Soldier

Quote:
It's pretty silly to judge how revisionist a movie is when only posters and a single trailer exist!!!
His brain revises the amount of innocent bodies occupying mass graves in Cuba under Fidel Castro, so there's not much to reason with.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:58 AM

Elune

But Frenchies say madame, merci, and bonjour!
Old 12-13-2016, 11:01 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

I'm not a big Nolan fan (Dark Knight was the only film of his I liked all that much--Inception was okay), but the nature of the story might force him to be more disciplined.

Personally, I'd like to see more films (or even games) about the lesser-known theaters of the war. The Burmese Theater, or the Aleutian Islands campaign. Something with the Yugoslav partisans might also be interesting.

When he was in college, my dad worked for a guy who had been a royalist Serb partisan during World War 2. He told my dad some stories that would have made interesting (albeit absolutely horrifying) subject matter.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 12-13-2016, 11:23 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
I'm not a big Nolan fan (Dark Knight was the only film of his I liked all that much--Inception was okay), but the nature of the story might force him to be more disciplined.

Personally, I'd like to see more films (or even games) about the lesser-known theaters of the war. The Burmese Theater, or the Aleutian Islands campaign. Something with the Yugoslav partisans might also be interesting.

When he was in college, my dad worked for a guy who had been a royalist Serb partisan during World War 2. He told my dad some stories that would have made interesting (albeit absolutely horrifying) subject matter.
I am still saddened we have so few (to the point of almost none) World War I movies. I think it's also an era fit to get cinematic, and certain areas, like the Eastern Front, the Balkans, Africa, Italy would be very interesting.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:34 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Looks purdy. I'll probably see it.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:36 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
I am still saddened we have so few (to the point of almost none) World War I movies. I think it's also an era fit to get cinematic, and certain areas, like the Eastern Front, the Balkans, Africa, Italy would be very interesting.
It's a somewhat obscure conflict outside of Europe, unfortunately. Too many folks see it as the hipster World War 2. Maybe Battlefield 1 will renew interest.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 12-13-2016, 01:17 PM

Eternal

Warhorse is a good WW1 movie, it's not really partial to either side really as it's about, well. A horse (p.s there will be women cutting onions near you through the last quarter of the movie).
Old 12-13-2016, 02:44 PM

Eternal

Quote:
It's a somewhat obscure conflict outside of Europe, unfortunately. Too many folks see it as the hipster World War 2. Maybe Battlefield 1 will renew interest.
Do you think it is (partially) because the US involvement was rather limited compared to the second one? Or is it just that the kids find the WW II gear cooler?
Old 12-13-2016, 03:02 PM

Elune

Quote:
Do you think it is (partially) because the US involvement was rather limited compared to the second one? Or is it just that the kids find the WW II gear cooler?
WWII is easier to understand because it can be boiled down to America/Russia vs Nazis. The first one is more complex.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:09 PM

Elune

Quote:
I think the more limited US involvement is part of it. As Smoke says, World War 1 also had somewhat murkier origins (at least, superficially). Trench warfare lends itself more to suspense than conventional war action (though you saw more mobile warfare in the eastern front).

Old 12-13-2016, 03:14 PM

Elune

The first world war has a lot of iconic imagery, but not really a lot of iconic moments. The one big exception is the Christmas truce (or rather, a very particular christmas truce), which is why that gets an inordinate amount of focus.

WWII, by contrast, has not just the imagery, but the moments as well, in both the war itself, and the lead-up to it.

I wouldn't say lack of US involvement is a problem. Hollywood is plenty willing to just stick a random American in.

Something that would be an issue is that, well, no world war I movie can have a happy ending. War might be innately terrible, but at least WWII was a war that ends in a great big triumph. The good guys win, the soldiers go home to have kids, Germany reforms into a diplomatic peaceful power, Japan goes on to make cartoons and electronics, and everyone goes to enjoy the swinging sixties. Sure, there was that whole 'cold war' mess, but that never really got hot.
By contrast, everyone who survives World War I gets to go back home to the Prohibition Era, followed by the great depression, followed by the nazi rise to power, followed by World War II.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:27 PM

Poor Soldier

Quote:
To be fair, I not long ago listened to a shit load of podcasts by a few different people about World War 1. When they start getting into the numbers, and describing the imagery, it gets depressing pretty quickly.

There's a pretty alright show on Netflix called "Our World War", about WWI. It's alright, the CGI is sometimes... Lucas levels though.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:31 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnahar View Post
To be fair, I not long ago listened to a shit load of podcasts by a few different people about World War 1. When they start getting into the numbers, and describing the imagery, it gets depressing pretty quickly.

There's a pretty alright show on Netflix called "Our World War", about WWI. It's alright, the CGI is sometimes... Lucas levels though.
That too.

Never heard of that show, but I'll check it out. I actually am pretty interested in World War 1 as a historical subject.

There's also a YouTube channel where a guy details World War 1 week by week. I haven't gotten through the entire thing myself, but it seems pretty well researched, and he has some standalone videos as well.

Last edited by HlaaluStyle; 12-13-2016 at 06:36 PM..
Old 12-13-2016, 06:41 PM

Elune

I like how George Carlon described it in his podcast. A bullet pointed at the skull of the old world. These are French soldiers at the start of the war wearing uniforms from the Napoleon years. Marched with pride only to be slaughtered by artillery.

Or Verdun becoming a real life Mordor.

Tags
entertainment, history