Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #201  
Old 01-07-2018, 01:13 PM
Aneurysm Aneurysm is offline

Problemsolver
Aneurysm's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Here, there, and everywhere.
Posts: 9,311

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
So everyone who likes this movie thinks that all Star Wars films are kinda terrible, so it doesn't matter if this film is bad or not - it's still "enjoyable".
Not at all. I think the Star Wars films are pretty awesome, and have always done so. But they were never especially deep, nor were they very original. They're highly enjoyable pieces of pulp fiction entertainment. And that's fine, it doesn't need to be more than that.

Granted I don't know very much about the extended univserse, if it goes deeper into the philosophies of the Jedi and the Force, and fleshes out the stories told in the movies in any significant matter.
Reply With Quote
  #202  
Old 01-07-2018, 01:52 PM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,162

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
Not at all. I think the Star Wars films are pretty awesome, and have always done so. But they were never especially deep, nor were they very original. They're highly enjoyable pieces of pulp fiction entertainment. And that's fine, it doesn't need to be more than that.

Granted I don't know very much about the extended univserse, if it goes deeper into the philosophies of the Jedi and the Force, and fleshes out the stories told in the movies in any significant matter.
The old extended universe was somewhat optional. It was there if you wanted it, but it was never as "real" as the actual films.

Now, it feels like there are huge questions we'll never be able to answer (e.g. Republic vs. Resistance, what is a Snoke) without reading up the new EU.
Reply With Quote
  #203  
Old 01-07-2018, 01:57 PM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 30,980

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
Alright, so I've finally seen it. It wasn't great. It also wasn't horrible. Most of it was pretty enjoyable, to be fair. It's not like the Star Wars franchise has ever been anything but pulp entertainment. But it's set in space, and they got lasers and shit, so it's dope. Benicio Del Toro's character was my favourite.
You are right. On it's own it's a pure dumb pop corn movie you can enjoy for 3 hours, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
Granted I don't know very much about the extended univserse, if it goes deeper into the philosophies of the Jedi and the Force, and fleshes out the stories told in the movies in any significant matter.
The people in charge of SW promised a new cohesive canon this time except it all went in the same direction as Warcraft lore, rule of cool trumps logic and established facts (Ghost Yoda summoning lightning or hologram Luke's clothing flowing in the wind despite not being solid). Hell, TLJ retconned TFA in the same vein WC3 retconned WC 1&2. There's also backlash because the pre-Disney expanded universe was probably one of the most diverse franchises out there, you could find anything from fart jokes to commentary on war and life.... While the new Disney expanded universe is very safe and obviously held back by the movies which are the big events now, you can't have the old republic with huge ass wizard wars and stuff, that's for Disney to milk money from movie audiences and only then will they allow extra material for books and such.
Reply With Quote
  #204  
Old 01-07-2018, 02:17 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,380

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Hm. It seems that most of the people that liked TLJ are casual fans. They've seen the movies once or twice and that's about it. It makes sense that Disney would appeal to them since they're a far bigger market.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #205  
Old 01-07-2018, 02:27 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,133

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
Hm. It seems that most of the people that liked TLJ are casual fans.
As opposed to the hardcore fans who hate everything and have pronounced Star Wars a dead franchise?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #206  
Old 01-07-2018, 04:03 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,380

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
As opposed to the hardcore fans who hate everything and have pronounced Star Wars a dead franchise?
No, just people who have seen the movies more than a couple times and know that Vader never says "Luke, I am your father" in ESB despite popular belief.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #207  
Old 01-07-2018, 04:41 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,133

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
No, just people who have seen the movies more than a couple times and know that Vader never says "Luke, I am your father" in ESB despite popular belief.
Is that a badge of pride or something? Anyway, who has time to watch movies more than twice these days?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #208  
Old 01-07-2018, 05:25 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,380

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Is that a badge of pride or something? Anyway, who has time to watch movies more than twice these days?
Usually if you like a TV show or movie, you'll watch it once in a while. I think I do a run of the Star Wars movies like once a year.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #209  
Old 01-07-2018, 05:47 PM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,162

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
As opposed to the hardcore fans who hate everything and have pronounced Star Wars a dead franchise?
Like WoW fans. It didn't used to be that way.

EDIT: Sure, OT fans often hated the prequels. But they still had the old EU to draw on and enjoy. They had an enormous, full universe of canon.


Last edited by BaronGrackle; 01-07-2018 at 06:33 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #210  
Old 01-08-2018, 01:35 AM
Aneurysm Aneurysm is offline

Problemsolver
Aneurysm's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Here, there, and everywhere.
Posts: 9,311

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
The people in charge of SW promised a new cohesive canon this time except it all went in the same direction as Warcraft lore, rule of cool trumps logic and established facts (Ghost Yoda summoning lightning or hologram Luke's clothing flowing in the wind despite not being solid). Hell, TLJ retconned TFA in the same vein WC3 retconned WC 1&2. There's also backlash because the pre-Disney expanded universe was probably one of the most diverse franchises out there, you could find anything from fart jokes to commentary on war and life.... While the new Disney expanded universe is very safe and obviously held back by the movies which are the big events now, you can't have the old republic with huge ass wizard wars and stuff, that's for Disney to milk money from movie audiences and only then will they allow extra material for books and such.
I can understand that disappointment, sure. And I agree with a lot of the critisism about this movie people have put forth. It was weirdly paced. It didn't answer many questions. The Weasley-brother guy was a laughably bad and whiny villain. They might've crammed a bit too much fan-service into it. But not once was it so bad that it took me out of the movie (except for the moment with Luke brushing his shoulder after being bombarded by walker cannons).

I guess I'm not expecting much depth from the franchise. Between Lucas screwing up his own product by messing around with it 20-30 years after release, as well as releasing that completely garbage prequel-trilogy, and Disney purchasing the rights to the entire franchise, it's pretty obvious Star Wars is never going to be what it was (which, again, wasn't really that great to begin with, afaic). Star Wars is nothing but a flashy a cash cow, and has arguably been since the original trilogy (remember Ewoks?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
Hm. It seems that most of the people that liked TLJ are casual fans. They've seen the movies once or twice and that's about it. It makes sense that Disney would appeal to them since they're a far bigger market.
Capitalism, baby.

Last edited by Aneurysm; 01-08-2018 at 02:33 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #211  
Old 01-08-2018, 08:47 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,380

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #212  
Old 02-14-2018, 07:14 PM
Slowpokeking Slowpokeking is offline

Not Sure If Trolling...
Slowpokeking's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,015

Default


THIS, THIS, THIS is 100000000 times better than the original movie.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
entertainment, star trek

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.