Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 02-08-2010, 01:55 PM

Elune

Default The fate of Frostmourne?

So we got a first Lich King kill tonight by one of the best guilds on the server on 10-men so I was wondering, is this blade attached to the statue in the middle of Dalaran the real Frostmourne or some replica?

I know it seems odd that the Kirin Tor would leave a soul-stealing blade in the middle of the city for everyone to see and touch but still... Blizzard's awkward decisions know no bounds recently.

Also, below I'm including screenies from my guild's first night of attempts at the Lich King on 10-men (no, we didn't kill him). I'm sure most of you have already seen the Frozen Throne and know what's up there, but for those who haven't yet, be advised:

Spoilers! Click at your own risk!

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/419...0610220600.jpg

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/5914/...0610220456.jpg

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2...0610220443.jpg

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/503...0610220424.jpg

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/295...0610235737.jpg
Old 02-08-2010, 01:56 PM

Arch-Druid

That sword looks a little big to be the real thing, I think. Most likely it's a replica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Thank goodness Golden handled Rise of the Horde, or it might have started with the tale of the Eredar leaders Archie and Jay being seduced by the power of the Dark Titan Gary while their close friend Lenny fled Argus to escape the corruption.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:00 PM

Elune

Congratulations!

Not to sound like the begging slut which i am, but any chance you could take more pictures of the actual statues? :p
Old 02-08-2010, 02:02 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid View Post
That sword looks a little big to be the real thing, I think. Most likely it's a replica.
That's because I took the screenie with the camera on a very close close-up, that's why it looks very big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Congratulations!

Not to sound like the begging slut which i am, but any chance you could take more pictures of the actual statues? :p
Aye, I will, later in the night when less people are online. Right now there are shitloads of noobs around it coming to see it, that you can barely see anything.

Last edited by Gortrash; 02-08-2010 at 02:08 PM..
Old 02-08-2010, 02:08 PM

Loremaster

Frostmourne was shattered at the tip, but was still nearly whole otherwise. That is pretty much only the hilt with barely any blade left. Plus, it looks way to golden, though that might just be the light playing tricks on it.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:13 PM

Elune

Well, the whole statue is made of gold, so it only makes sense that the blade is golden too. As I said I'll take more screenies so you can have a pretty good idea of what you're looking at, but right now the center of Dalaran is fucking crowded.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:19 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Maybe Fordring broke the rest of it before he shipped it off to Dalaran. Also, the whole thing may not be to scale, and just be made do people can see it.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:22 PM

Elune

Exclamation

Nothing says that the sword was an entity. Why is that always repeated?
Old 02-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Slowpokeking

Frostmourne. This at least he knew, and intimately. The sword whirled end over end, as if Arthas has tossed it into the air. A second sword rose to meet it—long, inelegant but powerful, with the symbol of a skull embedded in its fearsome blade. A name—“Ashbringer,” a sword and yet more than a sword, as was Frostmourne. The two clashed—

Arthas blinked and shook his head. The visions, tumbled, chaotic, heartening, and disturbing—were gone.

The orc chuckled, the painted skull on his face stretching with the gesture. He had once been named Ner’zhul, had once had the gift of true visioning. Arthas did not doubt that all he had seen, though imperfectly understood, would indeed come to pass.

Maybe Ner'zhul was not betrayed totally unware, but used Arthas for some purpose.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:23 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post

Maybe Ner'zhul was not betrayed totally unware, but used Arthas for some purpose.
One can only hope
Megatron: You've forgotten something else: I am your prisoner. I've been granted conditional bail while we look for the Knights of Cybertron. Where in my bail terms does it say—where precisely does it say—that I have to risk my life to save a handful of strangers? Where does it say that?

Skids taps Megatron's Autobot badge.

Skids: Right. There. What does that badge even mean to you? How has wearing it forced you to modify your behaviour? I'm serious! How has being an Autobot in any way prevented you from doing exactly what you want? Because if the answer is "it hasn't"—then nothing you've said or done in the last six months counts for anything.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:27 PM

Elune

Quote:
Frostmourne. This at least he knew, and intimately. The sword whirled end over end, as if Arthas has tossed it into the air. A second sword rose to meet it—long, inelegant but powerful, with the symbol of a skull embedded in its fearsome blade. A name—“Ashbringer,” a sword and yet more than a sword, as was Frostmourne. The two clashed—

Arthas blinked and shook his head. The visions, tumbled, chaotic, heartening, and disturbing—were gone.

The orc chuckled, the painted skull on his face stretching with the gesture. He had once been named Ner’zhul, had once had the gift of true visioning. Arthas did not doubt that all he had seen, though imperfectly understood, would indeed come to pass.
And yet, the vision itself is faulty since it was the Corrupted Ashbringer that had the symbol of a skull on it. The Uncorrupted Ashbringer has a hand on it instead (probably in reference to the Silverhand), and the Corrupted Ashbringer never clashed with Frostmourne.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:41 PM

Glaive Thrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil View Post
And yet, the vision itself is faulty since it was the Corrupted Ashbringer that had the symbol of a skull on it. The Uncorrupted Ashbringer has a hand on it instead (probably in reference to the Silverhand), and the Corrupted Ashbringer never clashed with Frostmourne.
Darion attempted to attack the lich king at the end of the DK starting chain with the Corrupted Ashbringer, so the vision could be about that.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:03 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by 343 View Post
Darion attempted to attack the lich king at the end of the DK starting chain with the Corrupted Ashbringer, so the vision could be about that.
If I recall, Darion charged him but got tossed away. I didn't think the blades clashed, but if ever I guess it would have had to be then, though Frostmourne wasn't whirling in the air or tossed end over end before that.

Quote:
Don't mess with details.
Ner'zhul said"And there's much more" since he could see what happened after Lich King awake, it's very possible that he knew Arthas' betrayal.
That’s a rather significant detail since it would depict entirely different times.

Its also possible to have visions of the future that are incorrect, or to only see small visions (as the ones that were shared with Arthas were). Look at Velen for example. He might see a glimpse into the future, but that doesn’t mean he knows every single detail of everything that’s going to happen ever.

Last edited by Gurtogg_Bloodboil; 02-08-2010 at 09:09 PM..
Old 02-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil View Post
Don't mess with details.
Ner'zhul said"And there's much more" since he could see what happened after Lich King awake, it's very possible that he knew Arthas' betrayal.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:10 PM

Glaive Thrower

It has to be said.
The final fate of Frostmourne can be summarized thusly:

Lady Jaina Proudmoore Receives [Abyss Crystal]x4
The Natherzim and Eredar corrupted Sargeras, NOT the other way around.
The "lost ones" are the real draenei, not the alliance race add in the Burning Crusade.
Azeroth is a kingdom, Garona is half human, and Nerzuhl does not have a dead wife.
If something in a novel contradicts warcraft, warcraft II or warcraft III, it is the NOVEL that is WRONG.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:09 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondirebear View Post
It has to be said.
The final fate of Frostmourne can be summarized thusly:

Lady Jaina Proudmoore Receives [Abyss Crystal]x4
Fail.

Frostmourne lies shattered atop the Frozen Throne, next to the decaying corpse of Arthas Menethil, formerly the Lich King, former paladin of the Silver Hand, former prince of Lordaeron.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:08 PM

Glaive Thrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
Fail.

Frostmourne lies shattered atop the Frozen Throne, next to the decaying corpse of Arthas Menethil, formerly the Lich King, former paladin of the Silver Hand, former prince of Lordaeron.
I'ts called a joke...learn to humor.
The Natherzim and Eredar corrupted Sargeras, NOT the other way around.
The "lost ones" are the real draenei, not the alliance race add in the Burning Crusade.
Azeroth is a kingdom, Garona is half human, and Nerzuhl does not have a dead wife.
If something in a novel contradicts warcraft, warcraft II or warcraft III, it is the NOVEL that is WRONG.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:16 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondirebear View Post
I'ts called a joke...learn to humor.
I know how to be funny; I get paid to do it in front of a live audience three nights a week. That wasn't funny; that was you being a fucktard. Oh yeah, I just called you a fucktard. Twat.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:20 PM

Elune

Jokes should be funny. Try this one: three CIA agents had just finished their training and were given a gun and their first mission: kill your significant other. One man has a girlfriend, one is a newlywed, and one has been married for ten years. The first two men come back crying, saying they couldn't do it. The last one comes back and says "Hey, the gun you gave me was loaded with blanks, so I had to beat her to death."