Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 06-26-2017, 04:13 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

The tears were starting to show even by everyone's favorite Wrath (hi Muradin's survival and not even getting into the Draenei even earlier) but everything being constantly retconned even within its own expansion slowly erodes consistency and investment. Why care about anything when there's an ever-increasing chance it'll just be retconned away? Gameplay at a high level only goes so far before the endless repetition wears thin. Each new expansion invalidates all your work in the last. In Return of the Lich King or whatever we're getting next we'll be replacing Ashbringer, Bane of the Scourage, Ender of Arthas, Slayer of a Hundred-Thousand Undead with a Scout's Jagged Claymore because it has better stats.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:45 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
I'm in that same boat. I grew out of Star Wars loooong ago. Begun to lose interest in WoW around late MoP, though was originally optimistic about WoD and Legion. Never liked 40K but loved Fantasy, it's a shame they killed the latter off. Was never interested in Harry Potter.

But LotR still grips me. Still inspires me. Still captures my imagination, as you yourself put it. It's like an old friend you can always go back to when times get rough. LotR, Conan, and Berserk, are mostly what I draw inspiration from these days. (Aside from my DnD games, which also tend to be a very good source of inspiration.)

Also, I feel like I should say: no matter how far WoW falls, there will always be a place in my heart for Warcraft III. That is the one game, the one piece of Warcraft, that will never fade for me. Even if WoW continues to become a bad fanfiction, WC3 will always be a masterpiece. For me, WC3 cannot be tainted by what WoW does.
It helps that Tolkien and RE Howard were both heads and shoulders above their imitators.

One problem is that any long-running franchise will either change to the point where you no longer care about it, or just take a drastic dip in quality. It's one reason I wish there was more willingness to just let a franchise gracefully fade out once it concluded. Otherwise, you get these unrecognizable franchise zombies that keep shuffling forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
In the grand scheme, I can rewatch Warcraft without hating myself, as opposed to trying to rewatch something like the BFG (which actively made me want to strangle Spielberg).

But back on topic, disinterest in the current lore seems to be a question of multiple factors. Is it the direction? Are you just bored and moving on? Do you not have time to keep an interest? Etc.

If you're coming back to Scrolls, what percentage of each (and other pertinent questions) are people really dealing with? Is there something that would bring back interest? If not, and the big question I've been leading into, what interests/sections should be expanded in SoL that you believe will have significant traction in the future?
Good God, was BFG boring.

WoW lore left me behind a long time ago. Cata killed the magic, and nothing can really bring it back for me. Personally, I'm pretty happy just talking about other video games, movies, TV shows, etc.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 06-26-2017, 06:25 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuber8900 View Post
The tears were starting to show even by everyone's favorite Wrath (hi Muradin's survival and not even getting into the Draenei even earlier) but everything being constantly retconned even within its own expansion slowly erodes consistency and investment. Why care about anything when there's an ever-increasing chance it'll just be retconned away? Gameplay at a high level only goes so far before the endless repetition wears thin. Each new expansion invalidates all your work in the last. In Return of the Lich King or whatever we're getting next we'll be replacing Ashbringer, Bane of the Scourage, Ender of Arthas, Slayer of a Hundred-Thousand Undead with a Scout's Jagged Claymore because it has better stats.
Haven't seen you for a while.

I think BC was the worst part of the lore and the true turning point.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:20 PM

Banished

The Draenei would have fit better if they hadn't made the Lich King into just Arthas with a metal hat.

I second the claim TBC was the beginning of the end. Yeah, Vanilla had its issues (namely for the faction roster and how it includes the Forsaken) but TBC was the expansion that turned Kael'thas and Illidan into memes before killing them off underwhelmingly, made other established characters into raid fodder, introduced the train wreck who is Garrosh, shoehorned the Blood Elves into the Horde for a higher playerbase yet whitewashed them (see how apparently only Kael'thas' gang knew they were snorting demon crack) before getting them another Sunwell, introduced a neat concept (Playable Eredar) but didn't bother doing much with them until way later (among other problems)...

I can't honestly say any of Blizzard's Expansions afterwards were anything better than hit-and-miss. WotLK made Arthas lose all that made him Arthas, turned Varian into a mouthpiece to push faction fighting, and introduced There Must Always Be A Lich King. Catalysm had the Forsaken go full supervillain without any way to let them have consequences for it, had the adventures of Metzen's Mid-Life Crisis, and had a bleh villain in Deathwing. Mists of Pandaria had an interesting setting that was scarred by the faction war, totally transformed Jaina into a strawman Horde basher, and managed to finish said faction war in a way that offends both sides. Warlords of Draenor demonstrated that Kosak and Co. need to let go of Warcraft 1-2. Legion isn't done yet but I know enought to know it's not going to end well.

Last edited by Almed; 06-28-2017 at 11:26 PM..
Old 06-26-2017, 09:50 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almed View Post
The Draenei would have fit better if they hadn't made the Lich King into just Arthas with a metal hat.

I second the claim TBC was the beginning of the end. Yeah, Vanilla had its issues (namely for the faction roster and how it includes the Forsaken) but TBC was the expansion that turned Kael'thas and Illidan into memes before killing them off underwhelmingly, made other established characters into raid fodder, introduced the train wreck who is Garrosh, shoehorned the Blood Elves into the Horde for a higher playerbase yet whitewashed them (see how apparently only Kael'thas' gang knew they were snorting demon crack) before getting them another Sunwell, introduced a neat concept (Playable Eredar) but didn't bother doing much with them until way later (among other problems)...

I can't honestly say any of Blizzard's Expansions afterwards were anything better than hit-and-miss. WotLK made Arthas lose all that made him Arthas, turned Varian into a mouthpiece to push faction fighting, and introduced There Must Always Be A Lich King. Catalysm had the Forsaken go full supervillain without any way to let them have consequences for it, had the adventures of Metzen's Mid-Life Crisis, and had a bleh villain in Deathwing. Mists of Pandaria had an interesting setting that was scarred by the faction war, totally transformed Jaina into a strawman Horde, and managed to finish said faction war in a way that offends both sides. Warlords of Draenor demonstrated that Kosak and Co. need to let go of Warcraft 1-2. Legion isn't done yet but I know enought to know it's not going to end well.
Also, very few characters on the good side had been killed to show how menacing the villains were. Many good characters had to be stored after the focus was shifted.

I;m not asking for something like Diablo 1, but kill off enough characters rather than let the villains become a joke.

Last edited by Slowpokeking; 06-26-2017 at 09:58 PM..
Old 06-28-2017, 08:19 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
I'm not talking about tons of other films, just one, and judging it on it's own merits. It's bad. You just said it "isn't good". How is that not the literal definition of "objectively bad"?
I think there is a rule that video game movies can't be good.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:48 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
I think there is a rule that video game movies can't be good.
Prince of Persia was fun to watch once.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:06 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Prince of Persia was fun to watch once.
Funny you say that because I hold up Prince of Persia as the quintessential gold standard for the bland, uninspired, mediocre, completely forgettable action movie based on video games. Every time I see a new video game movie in the works, I think "please don't be another Prince of Persia!" But of course, it always is.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:09 AM

Elune

Comic book movies used to be bad once. I wonder if we will have a video game movie renaissance in the future when some competent company picks them up.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:10 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Funny you say that because I hold up Prince of Persia as the quintessential gold standard for the bland, uninspired, mediocre, completely forgettable action movie based on video games. Every time I see a new video game movie in the works, I think "please don't be another Prince of Persia!" But of course, it always is.
What if you pray that, and it turns out to be another Street Fighter?
Old 06-28-2017, 12:09 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
What if you pray that, and it turns out to be another Street Fighter?
When a turd like Mortal Kombat 2 exists, Prince of Persia starts to look like the cream of the crop. I can see where you're coming from.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:22 AM

Eternal

The first cracks for me were: 1) They made the Lich King 100% Arthas, and 2) "There must always be *crash of thunder* a Lich King!"

I thought Cata's story was pretty weak on the whole, but I excused that since they basically remade all of Azeroth instead of a single expansion continent. It also suffered for me personally because I was reading the Travelogue at the time, which was infinitely better than WoW's actual story.

I enjoyed MoP a lot, and in hindsight I think it's easily in the top two expansions for the game.

Then came WoD. It was this steaming turd that stomped on the neck of my lore interest. The fact that the expansion took place in an alternate universe's past was too much. It was extremely obvious that it was done solely because the devs thought it would be cool to see the old Horde characters again. The narrative that had been building through Wrath, Cata and MoP crashed into a wall. It proved to me that Blizz didn't give a shit about telling a good story. Rule of Cool was more important.

My lore interest went off a cliff and never really recovered. I enjoyed the Chronicle books and found them interesting, but once I was finished with them that was it. Now with Legion, I'm enjoying it a lot as a game. But as a story it's pretty bare bones, and I don't really care anymore.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:50 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilgath View Post
The first cracks for me were: 1) They made the Lich King 100% Arthas, and 2) "There must always be *crash of thunder* a Lich King!"

I thought Cata's story was pretty weak on the whole, but I excused that since they basically remade all of Azeroth instead of a single expansion continent. It also suffered for me personally because I was reading the Travelogue at the time, which was infinitely better than WoW's actual story.

I enjoyed MoP a lot, and in hindsight I think it's easily in the top two expansions for the game.

Then came WoD. It was this steaming turd that stomped on the neck of my lore interest. The fact that the expansion took place in an alternate universe's past was too much. It was extremely obvious that it was done solely because the devs thought it would be cool to see the old Horde characters again. The narrative that had been building through Wrath, Cata and MoP crashed into a wall. It proved to me that Blizz didn't give a shit about telling a good story. Rule of Cool was more important.

My lore interest went off a cliff and never really recovered. I enjoyed the Chronicle books and found them interesting, but once I was finished with them that was it. Now with Legion, I'm enjoying it a lot as a game. But as a story it's pretty bare bones, and I don't really care anymore.
Lich King being just Arthas is kinda lame, but it would have been fine, had he been Arthas in the first place, and not a retarded emo kid with horse problems. Most of the W3 characters lost their personality completely in WoW.

I agree TBC was the beginning of the end, but you could still salvage it. WotLK was their first "unfinished game release", something Blizzard had never done before. The story itself went over the point of no return with Cataclysm. No matter what they did later (MoP was kinda decent, though awfully connected to the rest of the world), the lore was already ruined. WoD only further confirmed they never cared about the lore, and it was all PR talk.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 06-30-2017, 09:04 AM

Elune

I also think that MoP was surprisingly good, especially considering that the pandaren were a joke race. The way I always explained it to doubters was that pandaren are silly like hobbits, not silly like gungans.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 06-30-2017, 09:59 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
I also think that MoP was surprisingly good, especially considering that the pandaren were a joke race. The way I always explained it to doubters was that pandaren are silly like hobbits, not silly like gungans.
Its problem is it was disconnected from WoW. I think Zandalar (2-3 zones) should have been part of the expansion too, and the Zandalari-Pandaren war should have been more important. Maybe even include Kezan in there.

The plot should have been something like "the Zandalari are attacking us, let's ask for help" and then both the Alliance and the Horde try to gain their favor. No Wandering Isle, it's one of the biggest bullshits of the franchise. Scrap it and replace it with a decent pandaren neutral capital city.

I don't like the neutral race approach too much either. Pandaren should have been Horde, with aqir/mantid or some other race (saurok?) playable for the Alliance. In this case, pandaren would ask for help, and side with the Horde. The Alliance would then find new allies to keep a foothold in Pandaria.

The rest of the story would be similar. If we get playable aqir, they would struggle to remain free from the Old Gods, while the pandaren don't trust them and want to see them imprisoned. If we go with saurok, they could be slaves to the mogu, while the pandaren hoard most of the continent's wealth. In both cases, the situation would be a mirror of the relationship between orcs and humans after the second war, only that in reverse, which could lead to interesting conflicts. A faction of dominant pacifist pandaren (ruling Pandaria and all its races) would stay neutral, and welcome everyone into their neutral capital city. Alternatively, they could have some sort of council of different races. In either cases, they would be corrupt politicians and not do their job.

The Zandalari and the mogu would be defeated, either at Pandaria, or at Zuldazar, if Zandalar is included in the expansion. I don't like the idea of the evil Zandalari too much, so I'd go with some "evil prophet stole the throne", and then free the Zandalari. Vol'jin could become emperor, get a seat there, or whatever.

Garrosh would still use the Old Gods for power, enslaving the mantid and turning them into mindless monsters (or just allying with them if they are not playable). So, the Horde would technically win the war in Pandaria, but their methods would be so disgusting they would lead to a civil war, and after it, a return to the status quo in Pandaria, with the racial differences solved.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 06-30-2017, 11:16 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Its problem is it was disconnected from WoW. I think Zandalar (2-3 zones) should have been part of the expansion too, and the Zandalari-Pandaren war should have been more important. Maybe even include Kezan in there.

The plot should have been something like "the Zandalari are attacking us, let's ask for help" and then both the Alliance and the Horde try to gain their favor. No Wandering Isle, it's one of the biggest bullshits of the franchise. Scrap it and replace it with a decent pandaren neutral capital city.

I don't like the neutral race approach too much either. Pandaren should have been Horde, with aqir/mantid or some other race (saurok?) playable for the Alliance. In this case, pandaren would ask for help, and side with the Horde. The Alliance would then find new allies to keep a foothold in Pandaria.

The rest of the story would be similar. If we get playable aqir, they would struggle to remain free from the Old Gods, while the pandaren don't trust them and want to see them imprisoned. If we go with saurok, they could be slaves to the mogu, while the pandaren hoard most of the continent's wealth. In both cases, the situation would be a mirror of the relationship between orcs and humans after the second war, only that in reverse, which could lead to interesting conflicts. A faction of dominant pacifist pandaren (ruling Pandaria and all its races) would stay neutral, and welcome everyone into their neutral capital city. Alternatively, they could have some sort of council of different races. In either cases, they would be corrupt politicians and not do their job.

The Zandalari and the mogu would be defeated, either at Pandaria, or at Zuldazar, if Zandalar is included in the expansion. I don't like the idea of the evil Zandalari too much, so I'd go with some "evil prophet stole the throne", and then free the Zandalari. Vol'jin could become emperor, get a seat there, or whatever.

Garrosh would still use the Old Gods for power, enslaving the mantid and turning them into mindless monsters (or just allying with them if they are not playable). So, the Horde would technically win the war in Pandaria, but their methods would be so disgusting they would lead to a civil war, and after it, a return to the status quo in Pandaria, with the racial differences solved.
Mostly, I just liked being able to explore an interesting new realm. Cata and WoD disappointed me since they were mostly revisiting places we'd already seen.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:39 AM

Banished

Quote:
I don't think the story itself was good at all, nah. It simply had a better way to tell the story.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:21 PM

Elune

My unpopular opinion is that WoW peaked with the Cataclysm Firelands patch. I enjoyed the premise of Cata and the much needed face lift to the old world zones. Also that cinematic was hype af. Everything was downhill after that. MoP had it's moments, but I was never motivated to do endgame stuff after reaching max level. Haven't touched the game since.

Last edited by Saranus; 06-30-2017 at 01:27 PM..
Old 06-30-2017, 01:26 PM

Banished

Quote:
My unpopular opinion is that WoW peaked with the Cataclysm Firelands patch. I enjoyed the premise of Cata and the much needed face lift to the old world zones. Also that cinematic was hype af. Everything was downhill after that. MoP had it's moments, but I was never motivated to do endgame stuff after reaching max level.
Cata wasn't truly the downfall of WOW lore, just the downfall of WOW's gameplay.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:42 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Actually, I would say that WoW's gameplay has never stopped improving and is far better now than ever before. It's true that there are some issues, some of them the consequence of trying to fix what wasn't broken, but overall, gameplay is in a better place.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:01 PM

Elune

Yeah, gameplay has only improved. That's ridiculous. Anyone who thinks gameplay was better in vanilla is either amnesiac or completely blinded by nostalgia. So many QoL improvements since then. I'll admit, I do kind of miss the "messiness" of it all, but again: pure nostalgia.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:21 PM

Elune

A franchise exists in three dimensions: It is a universe, a set of characters, and a type of stories.
What attracted me to warcraft was the first of those three, but it's what been emphasized less and less. Instead, it is point 2 that gets focused upon, but that one simply doesn't interest me as much, especially with how it's executed.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:13 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Torch#2569

Quote:
MoP's story came in two halves- the pandaren half was actually rather good. It was just marred by a faction story that amounted to "Alliance is only allowed to look good through Varian and you get blamed just as hard as the Horde, while the Horde have to work with cunts. Until you stop, in which case the cunts got angry".

Gameplay wise, all Blizzard had to do was make heroics harder and fix the stupid as balls faction story, and they had probably as perfect an expansion as they possible.

If I die, blame it on BfA
Old 06-30-2017, 03:38 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
MoP's story came in two halves- the pandaren half was actually rather good. It was just marred by a faction story that amounted to "Alliance is only allowed to look good through Varian and you get blamed just as hard as the Horde, while the Horde have to work with cunts. Until you stop, in which case the cunts got angry".

Gameplay wise, all Blizzard had to do was make heroics harder and fix the stupid as balls faction story, and they had probably as perfect an expansion as they possible.
Agreed, though story has never been a big part of WoW's draw for me. I just liked having a cool setting to explore, and MoP provided that in spades. One of my big problems with WoW's development is how story started to get in the way.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:44 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Actually, I would say that WoW's gameplay has never stopped improving and is far better now than ever before. It's true that there are some issues, some of them the consequence of trying to fix what wasn't broken, but overall, gameplay is in a better place.
It's not about "improving" compare to the previous versions, it's about not being able to catch players like WotLK anymore. MMO is going downhill overall, people want quick content without spending effort to form groups. I mentioned it many times on the SWTOR forum.

Again, WHY are you guys just keep talking about WC and ignore SC&Diablo?

Tags
lore, red alert, warcraft