Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 10:09 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
It's unfortunate but making new races for a single patch would have been a complete waste of resources.
Hmm, that sounds almost like maybe something as gigantic in scope and lore implications as the final battle against the Legion that finally ends its Burning Crusade across the cosmos that's shaped the entire history of the WarCraft universe as we know it shouldn't be crammed into something as small as a patch...
Old 07-26-2017, 10:21 PM

Elune

Naaru become void when they die, right? Would it be possible that the void lords allowed themselves to turned into Naaru to travel to the physical universe?
Old 07-26-2017, 10:33 PM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
Naaru become void when they die, right? Would it be possible that the void lords allowed themselves to turned into Naaru to travel to the physical universe?
Naaru never usually 'die'. Whenever they're fatally wounded they enter a state of near-death where they begin to exude/bleed Void instead of Light and need some time (a thousand years maybe) to regenerate to their Light state.
Naaru in their void state can degenerate even further when damaged even more, transforming into 'void gods', from which there was no known way to return until Saa'ra was purified.

There's only two naaru who have died. M'uru who left a spark of Light that Velen used to reignite the Sunwell and now Xe'ra.

I don't remember if it was ever said in an official way as to why a being called 'possibly the purest expression the Light can take in the physical universe', made of shards of fragmented Light, starts bleeding Void when damaged. I guess it has something to do with the motto of 'without light there's no shadow'.

About the void lords we only know that they cannot enter the physical universe without seeping into nothingness. And only the strongest of them. Even their echoes, like Dimensius, need to constantly absorb matter and energy to continue existing, and the only thing they do is create minor portals from which the Void bleed into the physical universe. Maybe it's possible for beings like this to masquerade as a naaru. But I don't know about actually transforming into Light for any period of time.

Last edited by Whitrix; 07-26-2017 at 10:41 PM..
Old 07-26-2017, 10:38 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
It's unfortunate but making new races for a single patch would have been a complete waste of resources. I guess at the very least there could have been humans and some elves that came with Alleria and Turalyon.
Using them for just the one patch would've been dumb too, have some visit/settle on Azeroth, have them help us fight the old gods or study places here in scenarios.

Etc...

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 07-26-2017, 11:15 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitrix View Post
Naaru never usually 'die'. Whenever they're fatally wounded they enter a state of near-death where they begin to exude/bleed Void instead of Light and need some time (a thousand years maybe) to regenerate to their Light state.
Naaru in their void state can degenerate even further when damaged even more, transforming into 'void gods', from which there was no known way to return until Saa'ra was purified.

There's only two naaru who have died. M'uru who left a spark of Light that Velen used to reignite the Sunwell and now Xe'ra.
Well, three have died actually; since we killed its void god form like M'uru's, AU K'ure is presumably dead in a similar fashion.

Last edited by ARM3481; 07-26-2017 at 11:18 PM..
Old 07-26-2017, 11:17 PM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Well, three have died actually; since we killed its void god form like AU M'uru's, AU K'ure would is presumably dead in a similar fashion.
Yes. My mind tends to forget that WoD existed.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:38 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Hmm, that sounds almost like maybe something as gigantic in scope and lore implications as the final battle against the Legion that finally ends its Burning Crusade across the cosmos that's shaped the entire history of the WarCraft universe as we know it shouldn't be crammed into something as small as a patch...
I mean, its not? Its an expansion.

The final fight is the raid.

The patch is just the end
Old 07-27-2017, 01:22 AM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post

Going from almost being utterly destroyed by the Legion to utterly destroying the Legion in the span of one expansion is retarded and the reason why I never liked Legion to begin with.

Whoever is in charge of Warcraft's story at the moment should be ashamed of himself (or herself).
Old 07-27-2017, 01:27 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster View Post
Going from almost being utterly destroyed by the Legion to utterly destroying the Legion in the span of one expansion is retarded and the reason why I never liked Legion to begin with.

Whoever is in charge of Warcraft's story at the moment should be ashamed of himself (or herself).
Well, lets be honest.. We didnt go from almost utterly destroyed to kicking ass.

We went from kicking the legions teeth in, them getting in a super critical surprise attack and that led us to regroup, pull out the big guns, gather the forces other than the horde and alliance, and then return to kicking the legions teeth in.

Like, seriously, there. biggest campain was Red Dawned by god damned crack elves suffering from withdraws. The Legion wasnt ever a threat.

The Iron Horde was a bigger threat than the Legion.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:41 AM

Loremaster

Quote:

Taking down something as vast as the Legion should be built up as the plan to take them down, not spontaneously dumped on our heads in the penultimate patch by Illidan's shenanigans in the midst of a desperate bid to fend them off.

The point of this expansion was to drive out the Burning Legion and permanently seal the portal at the Tomb. Yet suddenly it's turned into ending the Legion's Crusade by invading their pathetically under-defended homeworld that they've left bizarrely under-conquered for 25,000 years and finding out that apparently even Sargeras himself has been so unconvinced of the Legion's ability to do the one thing he made it to do that he's been screwing around with this Dark Pantheon scheme instead. Seriously, the emerging theme of Legion seems to be that the Burning Legion is and always has been really bad at being the Burning Legion.

Ending the Legion here feels like if Frodo had stumbled across another way to destroy the One Ring during the last twenty minutes of The Two Towers. It feels like they're in such a hurry to move onto other things that they're hastily wrapping up the Legion just to get it out of the way.

They've spent nearly this whole expansion systematically downgrading them as a threat, all the while hyping up the idea that these demons were never that big a deal in the first place because there's something nastier they're looking to sell us as the real Big Bad. And now we're headed toward essentially finding out by accident how to put an end to their Crusade once and for all.

2017 is feeling like a year of hurriedly constructed sloppy endings, and Legion's shaping up to join that club. The first and only time we've ever taken the fight to the Burning Legion on their own turf, and it ends them. Really? That's shameful. That's pathetic. That's a waste.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:44 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Did you expect more than 1 and a half expansions dealing with the Legion or something? Or just another 'oh the Legion was beat maybe we'll get back to this in an eventual WC4?'. Since there's no way the playerbase would be ok with even more expansions of green and black and more demons. The shits been played out and its time for something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Using them for just the one patch would've been dumb too, have some visit/settle on Azeroth, have them help us fight the old gods or study places here in scenarios.

Etc...
Yes let's put random new races in future content instead of the ones we already have. Warcraft already has racial overload there's no reason to add (more) aliens when we'll get the inevitable new races wherever we're going next.

Last edited by Leviathon; 07-27-2017 at 01:48 AM..
Old 07-27-2017, 02:05 AM

Elune

Quote:
2017 is feeling like a year of hurriedly constructed sloppy endings, and Legion's shaping up to join that club. The first and only time we've ever taken the fight to the Burning Legion on their own turf, and it ends them. Really? That's shameful. That's pathetic. That's a waste.
Why? Why would Argus be heavily guarded and fortified? It takes a magic stone to get there. Even so, whos going to go against the legion, whos incredible offensive power had been unmatched? Even further, they send all their best fighters and leaders to conquer.

Overwhelming offense is literally all the Legion has ever had. And with Azeroth, its failed every time. Only with Azeroth.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:16 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

I mean I get people wanting things to feel more drawn out but the reality of MMO's is that most players want to move on to something more new and don't want to have to wait multiple years to feel like they've accomplished something. Even FF14, which handles doing a story a thousand times better than Blizzard, had the players liberate 2 damn city states from the Garlean Empire which was played up as being this giant unstoppable thing with the intro story of Stormblood. Obviously they've been given shit for that though I get they wanted to move towards other things like the politics for both liberated city states and other behind the scenes things that have been getting hinted about for years rather than drag out a liberation story.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:17 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

An Emerald Dawn.

An emerald sun dawns in the vault of the heavens, but casts no shadow.

The world lifts her voice in terror, but only one can hear her cries.

From the space that is everywhere and nowhere, the crooked serpent feasts on stars.

It has no eyes to see, but it dreams of infinite endings and beginnings.

<Strange glyphs and writing in an unknown language cover the rest of the scroll.>

THE END OF ALL THINGS

The crooked serpent with no eyes is watching from the endless sky.

Forked tongues flicker through the black pits in dead stars.

The veil between dream and dreamer slides away like skin from bone.

And even the darkness howls for the light it once despised.

<The rest of the note is illegible, covered in strange glyphs and scribbles.>

>Crooked serpent in the sky
>Blizzard can't do subtle

Old 07-27-2017, 06:44 AM

Eternal

Quote:
O'ros was killed too.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:36 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
The Void state is supposed to be super rare. But more than that we know for a fact how the naaru came to exist from Chronicle, they were shards of light that gathered together in the beginning of the universe.
Quote:
I don't remember if it was ever said in an official way as to why a being called 'possibly the purest expression the Light can take in the physical universe', made of shards of fragmented Light, starts bleeding Void when damaged. I guess it has something to do with the motto of 'without light there's no shadow'.
Well, the Void is the literal absence of the Light. In the beginning of time it was formed in places where the ocean of Light left. A naaru leaking Light going Void makes sense when looked at it like that.

Last edited by Asterisk; 07-27-2017 at 07:53 AM..
Old 07-27-2017, 10:14 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
>Crooked serpent in the sky
>Blizzard can't do subtle

I'd assume the Emerald Sun is Argus, but what are you implying about this Crooked Serpent? Disembodied Sargeras as a smoke cloud?

Last edited by Krakhed; 07-27-2017 at 10:17 AM..
Old 07-27-2017, 10:25 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Why? Why would Argus be heavily guarded and fortified? It takes a magic stone to get there. Even so, whos going to go against the legion, whos incredible offensive power had been unmatched? Even further, they send all their best fighters and leaders to conquer.

Overwhelming offense is literally all the Legion has ever had. And with Azeroth, its failed every time. Only with Azeroth.
Evidently it's guarded and fortified enough to withstand and then beat the crap out of Turalyon's Army of the Light before we get there.

Moreover, evidently it's been defended well enough that the Void and its servants are only now managing to infiltrate the place during the chaos of our invasion after thousands of years of trying and not being able to.

Killing Kil'jaeden - and for real this time - is huge; that's the sort of note an expansion like Legion should have ended on. This stuff afterward on Argus comes across as thematically tacked on, to the point that we don't even bring the stuff we've been building up on the Broken Isles throughout the expansion with us to do it (and no, adding a few Garrison missions doesn't count as meaningfully bringing out Class Orders with us.) We're done with the Pillars, we're done with the portal, we're done with everything we went into this expansion intending to do. It feels like a shoddily handled "twist" ending. Like content from a different Legion expansion stapled onto the end of this one that just doesn't bother to utilize most of what we've been building up along the way.

It also feels like they're trying to hastily infodump a bunch of Legion cosmology stuff all at once in-game so they can put Chronicle behind them. In the same short time that the characters in-universe are finally learning what we've learned about the Legion from Chronicle, they're ending the Legion so most of it won't matter any more. And they're taking what's been the story of all of Azeroth fighting back against the Legion and slashing it down to a story about basically just the draenei going back to Argus. A whole expansion building up forces and gathering allies, and it culminates in chucking all that to spend the finale with this Army of Light that we only just met.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:29 AM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilgath View Post
O'ros was killed too.
Right!

What is this thing about a crooked serpent devouring stars? Something found in some ruins in Argus?
Old 07-27-2017, 10:54 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

I'm actually not 100% clear what we did with the Pillars in the Tomb, and I've run the raid like 5 times.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:29 AM

Sentinel Queen
BattleTag: Jaggler#2762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I'm actually not 100% clear what we did with the Pillars in the Tomb, and I've run the raid like 5 times.
We place them around the tomb to unlock the passage into the depths of the tomb, where the Avatar is contained to stop the Legion from unleashing him at full power.

We don't do anythingt with the Eye of Aman'thul though.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:33 AM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Someone, Khadgar or Magni (I don't remember, maybe Alodi), told us to get the pillars because for some reason they could close the portal in the tomb, the Felstorm.
We learned that the Highborne used them to stop the second portal the Legion tried to open in Suramar in the WotA and when we have them we store them in Dalaran because we don't know how to use them.

Once inside the tomb, an hologram of Aegwynn tells us that we have to place the pillars in different parts of the tomb to reactivate the wards that Aegwynn (and I guess the Highborne before her) had installed there to stop the Legion and seal the avatar of Sargeras.

But of course Kil'jaeden only realizes the potential of the fallen avatar once he's cornered and wakes him up as a last attempt to stop us before fleeing to his ship.

Last edited by Whitrix; 07-27-2017 at 11:36 AM..
Old 07-27-2017, 11:42 AM

Arch-Druid

Isn't the eye used to close KJ's portal after we follow him through?
Old 07-27-2017, 12:26 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
Isn't the eye used to close KJ's portal after we follow him through?
Yes, yes it is.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:31 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
Yes, yes it is.
Whenever I see your avatar I think you're Melorandor.
Closed Thread

Tags
world of warcraft, wow legion