Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #5976  
Old 07-24-2017, 12:51 PM
Lon-ami Lon-ami is offline

Elune
Lon-ami's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Spain
Posts: 12,552
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Can't blame him at his age, really. Though I guess this ultimately boils down to whether you believe that an author is obliged to finish his work or not.
As a fan, I feel like he owes his work the respect. It's kinda grown above him. ASoIaF is more important than him in the big picture.

From a writer perspective, who the fuck cares. He should do whatever he wants with his life. It's no good if he's out of shape or apathetic either, since the quality would drop. Who cares if its disrespectful to himself or his fans.

If you can blame him for something, is if things go wrong and he hadn't prepared a proper emergency ending summary; assuming he already planned an ending, of course. That's something all authors should do, and publishers should enforce it.

I don't care too much about ASoIaF anymore. It became too big and too fat, too long, too overcomplicated. I feel like it lost its way during books 4 and 5, with too many side plots and filler, instead of getting to the point.
__________________


Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Reply With Quote
  #5977  
Old 07-24-2017, 02:07 PM
Reinhardt Reinhardt is offline

Arch-Druid
Reinhardt's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,059

Default

Quote:
"50 years from now, nobody is going to care how frequently the books came out,” Martin said. “They will care if the books are as good as they can possibly be, if the books stand the test of time. That’s what I struggle with as I write.”
Turns out that if he can't write the books, people will remember it as this fantasy series that was never finished.
Reply With Quote
  #5978  
Old 07-24-2017, 03:56 PM
Ma Caque Attaque Ma Caque Attaque is offline

Elune
Ma Caque Attaque's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In your mind
Posts: 12,687

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
Shame about Yara, though. I like her...
She's not dead. So cheer up old chap.

I thought she was as well, hanging from the prow, but it turns out it was the sneks.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5979  
Old 07-25-2017, 08:56 AM
spidey1980 spidey1980 is offline

Eternal
spidey1980's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,305

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque View Post
She's not dead. So cheer up old chap.
I know she didn't die. I just don't think she's gonna live.
Euron needs to kill her ASAP due to the simple fact that she is a contender for his throne.
__________________
Quote:
Teenagers (or older) at a Left wing indoctrination camp*
Nothing of value was lost.
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Reply With Quote
  #5980  
Old 07-27-2017, 02:37 PM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,234

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
The direction in the sea battle scenes this episode was horrific. Shakey cam with split second cuts, it was Michael Bay-style bullshit, you could barely make out what was happening.

While I appreciate more footage of Missandei, as she's hot as hell, it was an utter waste of about 3-5 minutes in an already shortened season. I can't believe they keep wasting airtime on meaningless titties and lesbo scenes. It's like some producers are insisting on shoving in nudity, because branding.

Euron is hilariously bad and cringeworthy. He's hamming it up so hard it's just embarassing. Also, bad direction. Oh and ofc we just had to have a "fuck the patriarchy!" shot of a Snek ramming a dagger in an Ironborn's crotch. Please.

Good: the North, Sam and Arya. King's Landing is alright. This episode was mostly dragged down by unbelievably shitty Sneks vs Euron and "titties for the eunuchs".

Please refrain from mentioning leaks or anything, I'd like to avoid reading any by accident.
Pretty much this.

Though I am surprised you of all people were more triggered by the crotch stab shot than me. I didn't feel it was political though I disliked it because it was gratuitous and kinda lame/cringey.

PS. Anyone else wanna bet that Sam will get some of that disgusting yellow puss on his face while operating on Jorrah? Just the way he goes about it seems haphazard and he is clumsy.
Speaking of possible deadly conditions, got a thread to bump.
Reply With Quote
  #5981  
Old 07-29-2017, 03:37 AM
miffy23 miffy23 is offline

Elune
miffy23's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 10,096
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Pretty much this.

Though I am surprised you of all people were more triggered by the crotch stab shot than me. I didn't feel it was political though I disliked it because it was gratuitous and kinda lame/cringey.

PS. Anyone else wanna bet that Sam will get some of that disgusting yellow puss on his face while operating on Jorrah? Just the way he goes about it seems haphazard and he is clumsy.
Speaking of possible deadly conditions, got a thread to bump.
Not triggered at all, just thought it was dumb, like pretty much everything involving the Sneks. Hey, you're fighting for your life against multiple opponents - OF COURSE you take the time to drop to your knees and plunge your dagger into one of the guys' crotch with both hands. Makes total sense

I don't think there's any political agenda nor would i care if there were, it's just as you say, incredibly dumb and cringey.
__________________
El. Psy. Congroo.
Reply With Quote
  #5982  
Old 07-29-2017, 02:12 PM
Yorenec Yorenec is offline

Arch-Druid
Yorenec's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,228
BattleTag: Stncold#1786

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Pretty much this.

Though I am surprised you of all people were more triggered by the crotch stab shot than me. I didn't feel it was political though I disliked it because it was gratuitous and kinda lame/cringey.

PS. Anyone else wanna bet that Sam will get some of that disgusting yellow puss on his face while operating on Jorrah? Just the way he goes about it seems haphazard and he is clumsy.
Speaking of possible deadly conditions, got a thread to bump.
If this were the books I'd say no because as GRRM's self-insert I've always considered Sam one of the safest characters to make it all the way to the end but who the fuck knows with D&D. They change shit just to do it.

And crotch attacks are stupid in any circumstance that's not in a comedic manner or it's the only thing available to attack. Someone going out of their way to do it in the middle of a battle is beyond cringe.
Reply With Quote
  #5983  
Old 07-30-2017, 07:44 PM
Leviathon Leviathon is offline

Elune
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 21,434
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Default

Even though I knew what would happen due to the spoilers it still amuses me how they wrote the army of Highgarden being destroyed by the Lannisters when the Tyrell army should still be at full might and the Lannisters forces should be heavily reduced from the War of the Five Kings. Kevans death should have affected them as well since Jaime and Cersei are not tactical geniuses.

Last edited by Leviathon; 07-30-2017 at 07:48 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #5984  
Old 07-30-2017, 08:27 PM
ARM3481 ARM3481 is offline

Loremaster
ARM3481's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,568

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Even though I knew what would happen due to the spoilers it still amuses me how they wrote the army of Highgarden being destroyed by the Lannisters when the Tyrell army should still be at full might and the Lannisters forces should be heavily reduced from the War of the Five Kings. Kevans death should have affected them as well since Jaime and Cersei are not tactical geniuses.
Everyone's pulling armies out of their asses just to keep Cersei relevant when her supporters should be extremely underpowered. So we have a gargantuan Lannister army being fed and paid with food and money she doesn't have, Euron zeroing in on the enemy flagship in the middle of the night without having to cut through the rest of the fleet first (which would, incidentally, be a really bad idea for his fleet as well as theirs. Naval battles on the open sea in the middle of the night with fog would be suicidal for all parties involved. As would latching onto a burning enemy ship to board it.)

Remember back in Season 1 when the prospect of Daenerys showing up with just Drogo's Khalasar was deemed a threat to the Seven Kingdoms as unified under the Iron Throne?

Funny how now that she's shown up with all of the Khalasars at her command, three dragons, the Unsullied, Dorne and the Tyrells, somehow Cersei's pittance of allies by itself is more than enough to fight back.

The Iron Bank thing is nonsense too. "Lannisters always pay their debts"; yeah right, they should've defaulted five times over by now. It's like they've decided to conveniently apply how long it takes to watch the episodes to this plot point in order to ignore that in-story the Crown has left the Iron Bank hanging for the better half of a decade without paying up. This isn't some bill that just came due; they've been broke for years yet somehow there just aren't any consequences to that. They're up to thier eyeballs in debt and winter is here; how aren't the people in King's Landing at least as hungry and pissed off as they were under Joffrey?

This is stuff the earlier seasons (and books) would have readily accounted for. It's like a child is writing this season. It's all spectacle and no substance. The pacing is a complete clusterfuck (Euron starts the episode in King's Landing, and has sailed around the entire continent to Casterly Rock by the middle, while each intermission to the Jon/Daenerys segments seems to only span a day or two, if not all happening in the same day) and nothing has any logical consequences any more because they're out of preexisting source material and in such a hurry to just get this thing done. The showrunners clearly have no idea what they're doing without the actual books providing them with a blueprint.

Considering it has no shortage of food and material, it should have taken many months if not years for Highgarden's walls to fall regardless of how much better Jaime's soldiers are at fighting man-to-man. Why is it suddenly assumed that stone castles can be besieged and taken in mere hours? One of the biggest advantages the defenders have in such situations is that a veritable skeleton crew can hold off a far larger army for a really long time. A point emphasized immediately prior at Casterly Rock, where a fraction of the Lannister army were easily holding back the Unsullied outside the walls. They're pulling Samurai Jack ending bullshit here; the same logic used to justify one half of a thing is dismissed as irrelevant for the other half of the same thing.

This show isn't just becoming dumb; it's becoming boringly so, because even the dumb stuff is done so rapidly that each event has no buildup to make me anticipatory about what ends up being a lackluster payoff. And it's all because after everything in Seasons 1-6 should have had Cersei severely unerpowered, so all that hype about Daenerys' ralying of allies is shat upon and ripped up in amateur fashion to make it seem like Cersei is somehow immensely powerful as she squats in the bankrupt, underfed sliver of the kingdoms that's still under her control. Jaime even keeps telling her how little she holds of the Seven Kingdoms, and she has no rational response. Instead she just sneers and says "nuh-uh, feels and dead kids and enemies and blah blah blah the writers are on my side right now so I'm gonna win for no reason."

Last edited by ARM3481; 07-30-2017 at 09:15 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #5985  
Old 07-30-2017, 08:41 PM
Leviathon Leviathon is offline

Elune
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 21,434
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Default

Do we even have any hints whatsoever that the Tarly's are chomping at the bit to betray the Tyrell's at the first sign of weakness in the books? Not that this would matter because there's more than 1 Tyrell son in the books.
Reply With Quote
  #5986  
Old 07-30-2017, 11:29 PM
Jon Targaryen Jon Targaryen is offline

Arch-Druid
Jon Targaryen's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,429
BattleTag: JulianPatel#1800

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Do we even have any hints whatsoever that the Tarly's are chomping at the bit to betray the Tyrell's at the first sign of weakness in the books? Not that this would matter because there's more than 1 Tyrell son in the books.
There are a couple of hints. Using spoiler tags because the thread specifically says "no book spoilers".

Laswell Peake of the Golden Company mentions that they still have friends in the Reach.

Also the crown giving Brightwater Keep to Garlan Tyrell after the Florents were attainted, even though the next in line is Randyll's wife Melessa Florent. That would give him a grudge against the Lannister/Tyrell alliance (which is still a going concern in the books).
Reply With Quote
  #5987  
Old 07-31-2017, 05:45 AM
miffy23 miffy23 is offline

Elune
miffy23's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 10,096
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Default

Rather liked this episode. No real wasted time, solid developments. I don't really have an issue with the armies ex machina, I thought the show explained it rather satisfactorily - what one must suspend one's disbelief on at this point are the frequent teleports and the disregarding of distance and travel time, and assume a [x time has passed] is implied.

I assume this also means we will never actually get to see a Dornish army in the show.
__________________
El. Psy. Congroo.
Reply With Quote
  #5988  
Old 07-31-2017, 05:59 AM
Jon Targaryen Jon Targaryen is offline

Arch-Druid
Jon Targaryen's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,429
BattleTag: JulianPatel#1800

Default

It's not just the teleporting armies. It's the fact that D&D don't seem to realize the fucking point of a castle.
Reply With Quote
  #5989  
Old 07-31-2017, 06:46 AM
miffy23 miffy23 is offline

Elune
miffy23's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 10,096
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Targaryen View Post
It's not just the teleporting armies. It's the fact that D&D don't seem to realize the fucking point of a castle.
How so?

The more blatant parts that throw me a little are, for instance, when Jon teleports from Winterfell to Dragonstone. Ofc it is implied for time to have passed, but at the same time we are going on a "last night" basis with Sam and Jorah.
__________________
El. Psy. Congroo.
Reply With Quote
  #5990  
Old 07-31-2017, 07:05 AM
Ujimasa Hojo Ujimasa Hojo is offline

Eternal
Ujimasa Hojo's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Philippines
Posts: 4,215

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Do we even have any hints whatsoever that the Tarly's are chomping at the bit to betray the Tyrell's at the first sign of weakness in the books? Not that this would matter because there's more than 1 Tyrell son in the books.
If anything the show might hint at what might happen in the books. Tarly currently has custody of Margaery after all.
__________________




Watch my Warcraft 3 stuff in either YouTube, BitChute, DailyMotion, DTube, FruitLab, or Brighteon.
Reply With Quote
  #5991  
Old 07-31-2017, 07:32 AM
Drusus Drusus is offline

Elune
Drusus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Greymane's Offensive
Posts: 8,699

Default

>unsheathes sword
>teleports an army behind you
>"psh... nothing personnel... tully"
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltongue View Post
you're the edgemaster 9000 with the leet memes who's close second to Gurzog in shitposting.
Reply With Quote
  #5992  
Old 07-31-2017, 10:11 AM
spidey1980 spidey1980 is offline

Eternal
spidey1980's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,305

Default

So Bran is a Vulcan now. That's cool i guess?
But that whole "You were beautiful the night you were raped"-thing was fucked up.
Does becoming the TER also wipe away tact along with all emotions?
__________________
Quote:
Teenagers (or older) at a Left wing indoctrination camp*
Nothing of value was lost.
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Reply With Quote
  #5993  
Old 07-31-2017, 10:14 AM
Leviathon Leviathon is offline

Elune
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 21,434
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
How so?

The more blatant parts that throw me a little are, for instance, when Jon teleports from Winterfell to Dragonstone. Ofc it is implied for time to have passed, but at the same time we are going on a "last night" basis with Sam and Jorah.
A siege of a castle like Highgarden should take months if not years as Arm said. The Game of Thrones universe has apparently been technologically stuck for the past several thousand years and doesn't have things like cannons (GRRM's love for big numbers is a pet peeve of mine when it comes to the series.).

This is especially true if the damn castle is built like this:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php...Highgarden.jpg

On the other hand there are at least dragons and the fact that Daenary's can just fly a damn dragon to the Red Keep and kill Cersei right there.

Last edited by Leviathon; 07-31-2017 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #5994  
Old 07-31-2017, 10:49 AM
spidey1980 spidey1980 is offline

Eternal
spidey1980's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,305

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
A siege of a castle like Highgarden should take months if not years as Arm said.
When did they say it was gonna be a siege?
When I attack castles in Total War, I bring some heavy equipment and start pounding on doors right away

Quote:
The Game of Thrones universe has apparently been technologically stuck for the past several thousand years and doesn't have things like cannons
That's par for the course with fantasy settings. When did Azeroth ever make technological breakthroughs? When did Middle Earth? Or Fantasy Warhammer? Or Tamriel? Faerun?
__________________
Quote:
Teenagers (or older) at a Left wing indoctrination camp*
Nothing of value was lost.
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Reply With Quote
  #5995  
Old 07-31-2017, 11:23 AM
miffy23 miffy23 is offline

Elune
miffy23's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 10,096
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
A siege of a castle like Highgarden should take months if not years as Arm said. The Game of Thrones universe has apparently been technologically stuck for the past several thousand years and doesn't have things like cannons (GRRM's love for big numbers is a pet peeve of mine when it comes to the series.).

This is especially true if the damn castle is built like this:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php...Highgarden.jpg

On the other hand there are at least dragons and the fact that Daenary's can just fly a damn dragon to the Red Keep and kill Cersei right there.
I think that's just another case of having to allow for a discrepancy in the passing of time between what is shown on-screen and what happens off-screen.

As for the dragons, they did address that. On the one hand they wish to avoid causing a massacre by having the dragons go nuts on King's Landing - she doesn't mind control them after all, they are beasts. On the other she needs to be directly riding them, putting herself in danger - also discouraged by her advisors this episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
So Bran is a Vulcan now. That's cool i guess?
But that whole "You were beautiful the night you were raped"-thing was fucked up.
Does becoming the TER also wipe away tact along with all emotions?
It reminded me more of the Tranquil in Dragon Age. It's a bit strange, seeing how the original Raven was definitely showing emotion and tact.
__________________
El. Psy. Congroo.

Last edited by miffy23; 07-31-2017 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #5996  
Old 07-31-2017, 11:29 AM
Aneurysm Aneurysm is offline

Problemsolver
Aneurysm's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Here, there, and everywhere.
Posts: 9,321

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
When did Azeroth ever make technological breakthroughs?
I didn't know the Night Elves had steam-powered siege machines and combustion engine explody wheels of death during the War of the Ancients.
Reply With Quote
  #5997  
Old 07-31-2017, 12:02 PM
spidey1980 spidey1980 is offline

Eternal
spidey1980's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,305

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
I didn't know the Night Elves had steam-powered siege machines and combustion engine explody wheels of death during the War of the Ancients.
That's because they hadn't met Dwarves and Gnomes yet (and dwarves and gnomes were kinda hibernating at that point). The tech did exist already. They just didn't have access to it.
__________________
Quote:
Teenagers (or older) at a Left wing indoctrination camp*
Nothing of value was lost.
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Reply With Quote
  #5998  
Old 07-31-2017, 12:05 PM
Jon Targaryen Jon Targaryen is offline

Arch-Druid
Jon Targaryen's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,429
BattleTag: JulianPatel#1800

Default

I once read a theory that Númenor had nuclear tipped ICBMs.
Reply With Quote
  #5999  
Old 07-31-2017, 12:15 PM
spidey1980 spidey1980 is offline

Eternal
spidey1980's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,305

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Targaryen View Post
I once read a theory that Númenor had nuclear tipped ICBMs.
That's Fake News. Phony stuff.
__________________
Quote:
Teenagers (or older) at a Left wing indoctrination camp*
Nothing of value was lost.
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Reply With Quote
  #6000  
Old 07-31-2017, 02:25 PM
Tilgath Tilgath is offline

Eternal
Tilgath's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,616

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Targaryen View Post
I once read a theory that Númenor had nuclear tipped ICBMs.
Ar-Pharazon literally did nothing wrong.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
a game of clans, cleganebowl, dwagon, entertainment, finally winter sheesh, game of thrones, happy father's day, oberyn has a headache, song of ice and fire, television, tywin lordaeron

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.