Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2017, 05:26 PM

Eternal

The games drought this summer was really bad. Only thing to play was Splatoon 2.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:58 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Jesus Christ, Denton, why aren't there any decent remixes of the original Deus Ex's main theme? Is it really that close to perfection that nobody can improve upon it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:06 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Jesus Christ, Denton, why aren't there any decent remixes of the original Deus Ex's main theme? Is it really that close to perfection that nobody can improve upon it?
One of these days I should see if I can talk my dance instructor into doing a tango to the intro theme. Since you can easily dance a tango to it.

Also, Anansi, I don't know if you saw this, but I finally played (or, rather, am playing) Skyrim, and gave my opinion on it at the end of the last page.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 08-22-2017, 07:03 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
At long last, I started playing Skyrim back in June.
All in all, I think the best opportunity this affords you is that to play Skywind when (if) it comes out.

Quote:
It's a damn good game. The world-building is much better than I'd been led to believe. You can see how the different pieces fit together, and Bethesda actually paid attention to quotidian but essential details like food production.

I still don't find Skyrim terribly interesting as a setting. We've all seen fantasy Norse a thousand times before. But it's well-done for what it is, and I respect that.
This is largely how I feel. The world building is great! It's a shame it's wasted on a relatively standard horned viking fantasy.

Quote:
At times, it feels too much like a first-person shooter. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. While I don't mind Morrowind's stat-based combat system, neither will I defend it. I think Skyrim may have over-corrected somewhat.
Agreed. Which is why I still say Oblivion is the most enjoyable when it comes to game-play.

Quote:
The factions are also kind of bizarre. The Companions insist on being brave and honorable warriors who never sneak. But I used sneaking and magic on a lot of my quests, and none of them ever cared. They even snuck around with me. I didn't much like the enforced lycanthropy either, though it has almost no impact on the game if you choose to ignore it.
Companions suck. Mages Guild sucks. DB is just there because it was popular in Oblivion. Thieves Guild almost didn't suck, right up until you're forced to be a good guy and return the Skeleton Key even though no self-respecting thief would ever give up such a potent artifact.

Quote:
Overall, Skyrim's a good game, and I can see why it is so popular. I haven't bought the DLCs, and I'm not sure if I will. Maybe at the next Steam sale. Dawnguard looks kind of interesting. Hearthfire adds the sort of things that I don't really care about, but it's like $4. Dragonborn might be tough for me to play; you have to help Great House Redoran against House Hlaalu remnants, and I don't like working against my people.
The best part of Dragonborn is Apocrypha and helping my lord and master Hermaeus Mora. It was also kind of fun to see those filthy ashskins reduced to a cowering mass of limpets on a rock in the middle of nowhere. Very cathartic for my nationalist Argonian assassin.

Dawnguard has some truly spectacular content, but its story is thoroughly meh. Really hammers home your complaint against the lack of meaningful choice. You can choose to be a vampire or you can choose to be a vampire hunter; but in both cases you end up thwarting the vampires' plans, and in both cases you end up inviting a damn dirty vampire to come live with you. So regardless of faction, you end up being forced to play it wrong.

Even so, I'd recommend it. There's crossbows (read: superweapon), and elder scrolls, and old-fashioned moth lore, and this one great big uniquely beautiful dungeon.

Hearthfire struck me as thoroughly lame and I haven't bought it.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-22-2017, 07:57 AM

Elune

Quote:
All in all, I think the best opportunity this affords you is that to play Skywind when (if) it comes out.

This is largely how I feel. The world building is great! It's a shame it's wasted on a relatively standard horned viking fantasy.

Agreed. Which is why I still say Oblivion is the most enjoyable when it comes to game-play.

Companions suck. Mages Guild sucks. DB is just there because it was popular in Oblivion. Thieves Guild almost didn't suck, right up until you're forced to be a good guy and return the Skeleton Key even though no self-respecting thief would ever give up such a potent artifact.

The best part of Dragonborn is Apocrypha and helping my lord and master Hermaeus Mora. It was also kind of fun to see those filthy ashskins reduced to a cowering mass of limpets on a rock in the middle of nowhere. Very cathartic for my nationalist Argonian assassin.

Dawnguard has some truly spectacular content, but its story is thoroughly meh. Really hammers home your complaint against the lack of meaningful choice. You can choose to be a vampire or you can choose to be a vampire hunter; but in both cases you end up thwarting the vampires' plans, and in both cases you end up inviting a damn dirty vampire to come live with you. So regardless of faction, you end up being forced to play it wrong.

Even so, I'd recommend it. There's crossbows (read: superweapon), and elder scrolls, and old-fashioned moth lore, and this one great big uniquely beautiful dungeon.

Hearthfire struck me as thoroughly lame and I haven't bought it.
I'll probably check out Dawnguard. I'm still not sure about Dragonborn. I don't want to help the Redoran, dammit! I suppose I could just skip the main quest, explore, kill the Redoran leaders, and leave.

But that's probably what a filthy scale-skin like you would want me to do... ooh, decisions, decisions...

And yes, I will likely check out Skywind when it finishes. Though part of me feels like it's redundant since I already have Morrowind (plus Tamriel Rebuilt), and I don't really mind the weird combat engine.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 08-22-2017, 11:27 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

The MOBA-FPS genre was a mistake.
Member #14
Old 08-24-2017, 04:24 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

So, I haven't played FFXV (I'm waiting for the definitive edition port on PC) so I have no idea what the story is but... what?:

That this is actually a full-fledged story DLC rather than just a character outfit pack or something is baffling, but intriguing.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:50 PM

Eternal

Mass Effect Andromeda is worth the play-through if you find it at a price you're comfortable with. The patches have mostly corrected the animation complaints, the gameplay is still pretty good, the characters are good, and the story is intriguing. As a Mass Effect fan, I was disappointed with its failure to deliver on its ambitious premise, but I don't hate it.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:08 PM

Elune

I just found out Sonic Classic Heroes exists. It's a romhack of Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 that lets you play through both games as Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles (or Team Chaotix) and switch between the 3 whenever you want mid-level by a single button press. It also fixes some other problems with the two games and adds up to 3-player co-op.

I hope someone does this to Sonic Mania after it comes out on PC in a few days.
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 08-24-2017 at 08:12 PM..
Old 08-25-2017, 12:00 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

With it becoming increasingly clear that Half Life 3 will never come out, VALVe's former head writer, Marc Laidlaw, has leaked the entire plot synopsis for Half Life 2: Episode 3/Half Life 3 in the state it was at when he left VALVe.

This is how Half Life ends.

"Corrected" version as Marc changed the names of characters and locations to parodies of themselves, probably for legal reasons (i.e "Gortie Freemont").

Basic summary: Gordon and Alyx go to the arctic and find the Borealis. It turns out the Borealis teleports through both space and time,
and it will only be there for a short time. A combine research center has been built around the place the Borealis will be. It's being run by Dr. Breen,
who has been transformed into "BreenGrub," and begs Gordon to kill him.

They get on board the Borealis as it jumps through time. While caught in time and space Alyx realizes they can use the Borealis as a "time traveling missile" to wipe out the combine homeworld, a massive Dyson Sphere.
Judith Mossman disagrees and Alyx kills her. They arrive at the Combine Dyson Sphere, ready to suicide bomb it. The G-Man arrives and says Alyx's adventures are not over but it's Gordon's time to die. He teleports Alyx somewhere else, leaving Gordon on the Borealis as it collides with with the sphere.

The vortiguants show up at the last minute and save Gordon, teleporting him back to Earth, but it's now anywhere from decades to hundreds of years in the future and no one recognizes or remembers him. Content that his job is done, Gordon goes to explore the new world.

Last edited by Insane Guy of Doom; 08-25-2017 at 12:33 PM..
Old 08-25-2017, 12:38 PM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

what the hell is half life?
Old 08-26-2017, 06:07 PM

Elune

Still playing Sonic Classic Heroes. I think this would be a fun thing to try. 3-player co-op in Chaotix mode.
Fusion (Sega emulator) supports netplay. I don't know how good it is, though.
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 08-26-2017 at 06:10 PM..
Old 08-26-2017, 07:30 PM

Elune

I've seen some theorize that some of what Laidlaw posted is also a jab at Valve, particularly the last paragraph. I can see it.

Sad that this is how we have to find out about the ending though.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:07 AM

Elune

The Markarth quest line in Skyrim is the best one I've seen in the game so far, and by a considerable margin. Skyrim's engine isn't well-suited for noir, but it was a nice change of pace and I salute them for trying.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:20 AM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
what the hell is half life?
The amount of time it takes for an atom to lose half of the radiation that it's disseminating.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:06 PM

Elune

It being a quiet Sunday, I decided to download Province: Cyrodiil, a modification that complements the ambitious Tamriel Rebuilt project. Province: Cyrodiil has the lofty goal of recreating Cyrodiil within Morrowind's engine and in concordance with the more eccentric lore of earlier games.

So far, only the Island of Stirk has been created, but it's a real gem. Red-roofed houses, their white walls punctuated with stained glass windows, look down on sandy beaches cooled by the shade of waving palm trees. Further inland is a rocky hill studded with graceful Ayleid ruins and (somewhat oddly, but fittingly) what appear to be Joshua trees.

You can interact with just about everything. Stirk's located off of Cyrodiil's Gold Coast, between Somerset, Hammerfell, and Valenwood. It's clearly a wealthy place, with a number of manors in Stirk Village (despite being a village, it's probably larger than Balmora in the base game).

There's adventure to be found. Treasure waits in Colo-Nordic barrows and within the sterile stone halls of the Ayleid Unsullied Halls. Pirates of some sort lurk in the outlying islands. The only real problems I've found is that hostility seems inconsistent; twice, I was attacked by one person within a group, but no one else acknowledged the attack or followed suit. There are also some spelling errors in the books.

Plus, one of the manors has full set of The Argonian Account. Black Marsh is a fascinating place.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:48 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
The Markarth quest line in Skyrim is the best one I've seen in the game so far, and by a considerable margin. Skyrim's engine isn't well-suited for noir, but it was a nice change of pace and I salute them for trying.
It amuses me a great deal that you're only now getting around to playing Skyrim, but I'm glad you're enjoying it so far.

Also, call me a Neanderthal, but in the hundreds of hours I've clocked in Skyrim, I've never installed a single mod. I realize that people are still producing new mods for the game, and that that's how a bunch of people get the bulk of their fun out of the game, but I've never felt the experience was ever so lacking that I needed something fixed.

The closest I got was when I created a pure Destruction mage, and felt that past the first few levels, your spells lose all their oomph. Actually, I still think Destruction feels pretty lackluster and overall just less fun compared to the other builds I'd tried and enjoyed.

Relevant image which is to big to link conveniently:
Old 08-27-2017, 10:38 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
It amuses me a great deal that you're only now getting around to playing Skyrim, but I'm glad you're enjoying it so far.

Also, call me a Neanderthal, but in the hundreds of hours I've clocked in Skyrim, I've never installed a single mod. I realize that people are still producing new mods for the game, and that that's how a bunch of people get the bulk of their fun out of the game, but I've never felt the experience was ever so lacking that I needed something fixed.

The closest I got was when I created a pure Destruction mage, and felt that past the first few levels, your spells lose all their oomph. Actually, I still think Destruction feels pretty lackluster and overall just less fun compared to the other builds I'd tried and enjoyed.

Relevant image which is to big to link conveniently:
I'm actually playing a Dunmer destruction mage (raised in the province of Cyrodiil, from a minor branch of House Hlaalu that has significantly interbred with local Imperial merchant families), and yeah. The spells do lose their oomph. Sometimes I seriously feel like I'm just playing Hexen with better graphics.

Skyrim is an great game, but I don't think it's one I'll replay.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:51 PM

Elune

Quote:
If Skyrim had half the heart of morrowind it would be great
Old 08-27-2017, 11:07 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
If Skyrim had half the heart of morrowind it would be great
I mean, I don't want to be "that guy" who just harps on and on about how an older game is better. I certainly don't blame Bethesda for making Skyrim more action-oriented, because that would make more money than Morrowind's admittedly clunky pen-and-paper-based system.

It's just that Skyrim's quest lines aren't that good for the most part. The factions don't really make logical senseā€”I've already gone on about how it's weird for the Companions to vocally despise sneaking, but happily sneak right along with you. The various quests just feel like MMO quests in a single-player framework. It bothers me that I so rarely have more than one option for completing a quest.

And Skyrim itself, while well-realized, simply is the kind of setting I've seen plenty of times before. Once I'm done exploring Stirk, I'm going to check out the TR's team interpretation of the Reach in Skyrim: Home of the Nords, so we'll see how that goes. I know that the TR version actually has the Reach be the site of a struggle between Nords and Redguards rather than Nords and Bretons. Both are plausible, given the geography.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:30 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Oblivion combines the RPG nature of Morrowind with the accessibility of Skyrim. Clearly best TES.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-28-2017, 09:10 AM

Elune

Quote:
Oblivion combines the RPG nature of Morrowind with the accessibility of Skyrim. Clearly best TES.
Yeah, but the presentation of Cyrodiil really galls me. Skyrim was always supposed to be Fantasy Scandinavia, so I'm not that bothered by the game's interpretation of lore. Cyrodiil was supposed to be something more than what we got.

I do actually have a CD copy of Oblivion that I've never played.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:21 PM

Elune

Neat.
Member #14
Old 08-28-2017, 03:54 PM

Elune

Quote:
I adore Oblivion, and The Dark Brotherhood quest is, to this day, a pinnacle of Story Telling... But for the most part, Obliv was very bland as far as setting goes.

You found gems on a regular basis, sure, but it wasnt morrowing.

Now, shivering isles? Very good.

TBH, I think a lot of the Skyrims problem is that its too open and thus quests and character feels disjointed

Last edited by Ruinshin; 08-28-2017 at 03:56 PM..
Old 08-28-2017, 03:59 PM

Elune

The thing from Morrowind that I missed from every later game in the series, that essential thing that made every entry in the series inferior to me:

The ability to put an item on a table easily without wrecking your house.

Tags
damn cubes, general thread, literally video games, video games, wololo