Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Old 09-01-2017, 08:07 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Many Europeans that I have met here in Austria are mostly shit at American geography. For all that crap that Europeans give Americans for their lack of international geography knowledge, they have little grasp of American geography, IME. And of course this also ignores how a lot of the Unite the Right rally participants came from all over the US - Ohio, Indiana, New York, California, etc. - and not simply the South.
I've heard hilarious stories of Europeans visiting San Francisco and saying they want to go drive to LA, see some sights, and drive back all in the same day. They have no concept of distance in the US.
[edit] For the Euros, that's basically like staying in Munich and trying to take a day trip to Milan.

In other news, a police officer arrested a nurse for doing her job upholding the Constitutional rights of an innocent, unconscious man who was injured during a police chase.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e775a5805c1b
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 09-01-2017 at 11:19 AM..
Old 09-01-2017, 02:04 PM

Elune

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...c0fc4#comments

There was a "No to Marxism in America" rally and antifa showed up to beat people with sticks and shields that said "No Hate." They seem to be too stupid in seeing the irony in that but they wouldn't be the only person that patted themselves on the back for being loving and compassionate and then doing the exact opposite. It is almost like there is more to being a good person than blind ideology. The Berlin Wall was called the antifacist wall because like antifa anyone that opposes their totalitarian ideology is a fascist. The word doesn't actually mean anything other than a blanket negative. If you offer up a challenge or something contrary to their world view you are a fascist.

Nazi Germany was conquered while the USSR was pushed to collapse. The later lasted much longer and thus killed a lot more people. It has always been romanticized with college students wearing Che shirts. There are certain people who would have a lot to gain from an all powerful government so the checks and balances in the US constitution might not make sense to them. It is one of the things that makes communism so poisonous because it plays off of people's greed and envy. I have seen too many people endorse antifa because it isn't about acceptable behaviors but acceptable targets. Violence is acceptable if it is against the right people. These aren't just people who oppose fascists.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:54 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

Old 09-01-2017, 03:58 PM

Eternal
Location: England, Great Britain, Soon to be United States of Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
I've heard hilarious stories of Europeans visiting San Francisco and saying they want to go drive to LA, see some sights, and drive back all in the same day. They have no concept of distance in the US.
[edit] For the Euros, that's basically like staying in Munich and trying to take a day trip to Milan.
Yeah we're terrible at geography in the US. We count it as one country rather than the semi-continent it could be considered. On the other hand, one would expect someone visiting to look it up online. I feel like preparation is kind of important to travelling.

To be fair a Macedonian guy in a UK university told me people often assumed that Macedonia was in the US. Which is just disgraceful.
It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."
- Father Dennis Edward O'Brian, USMC

Last edited by SomeRandomEvilGuy; 09-01-2017 at 04:02 PM..
Old 09-01-2017, 04:43 PM

Echo of the Past

Map

With geography, we gamers are probably at an advantage thanks to Paradox Interactive!

The U.K. has an easy-to-learn setup with England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. I'm a little more solid on Germany and Italy than other parts of Europe because of their unification histories. But in general, I'm much better at locating cities on a European map than provinces and cantons. Canada has a user-friendly east-west breakdown. Outside of Europe, the U.S., and Canada? I'm pretty miserable at it.

I'm reminded that in Capcom's classic fighting game Street Fighter 2, the Spaniard character Vega (whose name only sounds Spanish by coincidence, since the name came from a star and was originally given to the guy we call M. Bison, as you all know) would YODEL in victory. Because Spain and Switzerland are basically the same, amirite?

But anyway, here's Animaniacs.

It's more reliable than their Nations of the World tune, which has non-nations added to fill in gaps and also obsolete Cold War nations.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:51 PM

Elune

I occasionally try to draw the world map (starting from a blank piece of paper) with countries from the top of my head. I've become mediocre-to-decent at it, though I keep screwing up the geography of Southeast Asia (my proportions in general are atrocious, but this one I can't even get the shape right consistently) the order of countries in Coastal West Africa and the Carribean, and I just don't bother with all those tiny pacific nations.

Perhaps I should add US states the next few times I try.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:00 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
I occasionally try to draw the world map (starting from a blank piece of paper) with countries from the top of my head. I've become mediocre-to-decent at it, though I keep screwing up the geography of Southeast Asia (my proportions in general are atrocious, but this one I can't even get the shape right consistently) the order of countries in Coastal West Africa and the Carribean, and I just don't bother with all those tiny pacific nations.

Perhaps I should add US states the next few times I try.
There are phone apps that will give you the name of a country and you have to find where it is on the map. Not as difficult as what you are doing because you don't have to remember natural geography but it can help with political geography.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:03 AM

Echo of the Past

Old 09-02-2017, 09:12 AM

World Builder

Goddamn, how fucked up do you have to be to try and claim people are blocking aid to a hurricane? That's depraved.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 09-02-2017, 12:33 PM

Elune

I have never seen that story.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:41 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

That's not the only scam going around either. There's an 800 number that people are "supposed" to call if they need emergency services, but it's really an insurance agency who are wanting numbers for phone calls and telemarketing.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:14 AM

Arch-Druid

So, um...

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/rea...10390e5dae120#

This person... she be crazy, yeah?
Old 09-04-2017, 03:29 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakitori View Post
So, um...

For some people being a strong woman means hating men and being some attention seeking blogger. I think she is a terrible role model for women. They should bring in women scientists and business owners or something.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:34 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakitori View Post
So, um...

Absolutely. I wish I knew how they vet these people they bring in for talks.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-04-2017, 07:57 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Absolutely. I wish I knew how they vet these people they bring in for talks.
My thoughts exactly. As PJ just said, there are strong women with careers much more admirable than "blogger".
Old 09-04-2017, 03:34 PM

Elune

BaronGrackle noticed me!
Old 09-04-2017, 10:38 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
BaronGrackle noticed me!
Quick, throw a Master Ball before it escapes!
Old 09-11-2017, 08:37 AM

Elune

http://www.theonion.com/article/form...ocialMarketing

Call me names sociology major!

Quote:
ST. PAUL, MN—Explaining how the string of personal insults and sharply worded accusations caused him to reevaluate every one of his political leanings, former conservative Vincent Welsh recalled for reporters Friday the belittling tirade from a college student that brought him over to the left. “It was last October and I’d just mentioned my support for a Republican congressional candidate on Twitter when this 19-year-old responded by telling me I was an ignorant asshole who hated the poor and that I was everything that was wrong with the world, and it just completely opened my eyes to how incorrect my whole worldview was,” said Welsh, fondly recounting how the sophomore sociology major converted him to liberalism on the spot by calling him a hateful bigot and saying he was too much of a “brainwashed puppet” of corporate interests to know what was best for him, instantaneously invalidating the 56 years of individual thought and life experience that had led him to his previous political beliefs. “I remember how he said anyone who didn’t support Scandinavian-style social policies was nothing more than a greedy capitalist leech and I was just like, ‘Wow, yes, that makes total sense.’ And then when he called me a fascist piece of shit and condescendingly asked if I’d ever once looked up from my copy of Atlas Shrugged, that was the moment I saw what a complete fool I’d been and knew I had to reject all my political positions and adopt his ideology in total.” Welsh then expressed his deep gratitude that the young man had even stopped to direct the series of derogatory tweets at him in the first place, saying he would likely still be a “money-grubbing racist shithead who spends all day sucking the Koch brothers’ dicks” if not for the magnanimous individual.
I feel like this is something a lot of us can relate to. The college sophomore who understand how the whole world works.

Last edited by PajamaSalad; 09-11-2017 at 05:44 PM..
Old 09-11-2017, 08:39 AM

World Builder

1. The thread's name change is stupid and inflammatory.

2. I'm annoyed how we're seeing a repeat of Katrina and other disasters, where brown and black people are called "looters" and thrown in jail, and white people are called 'survivors' who 'scavenge'

Fucking bullshit.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-11-2017, 10:19 AM

Elune

Member #14
Old 09-11-2017, 01:12 PM

Elune

Quote:

2. I'm annoyed how we're seeing a repeat of Katrina and other disasters, where brown and black people are called "looters" and thrown in jail, and white people are called 'survivors' who 'scavenge'

Fucking bullshit.
This is looting.

Last edited by Mertico; 09-11-2017 at 01:14 PM..
Old 09-11-2017, 01:27 PM

Elune

I found some interesting studies:

White felons are more likely to be hired than black people with no criminal records, with the same educational and work experience.
http://thecrimereport.s3.amazonaws.c...employment.pdf
Black people are more likely to be fined for the same crime than their white counterparts.
https://www.economist.com/blogs/grap...daily-chart-18
Black people are 3 times more likely to be arrested for Marijuana, even though it is used equally among white and black people.
https://www.aclu.org/issues/mass-inc...lack-and-white
Black people are punished harsher for the same crimes.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/17/o...s.html?mcubz=0
Member #14
Old 09-11-2017, 01:27 PM

World Builder

That addresses my statement regarding equality of enforcement how?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-11-2017, 02:48 PM

Elune

Quote:

Fucking bullshit.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:06 PM

Elune

Quote:
That addresses my statement regarding equality of enforcement how?
Where's the proof.

Tags
realspace, serious business