Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1201  
Old 11-09-2017, 04:17 PM
Shadowsong Shadowsong is offline

Eternal
Shadowsong's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,716

Default

Horde definitely get the better allied races. Highmountain/Nightborne fleshed them out so well and we're gonna get tons of Zandalari lore in BfA. Lightforged, despite being in 7.3, don't really have all that much to them. Void elves are going to be entirely new. Dark Iron are the cool at least.

But, its not over yet. They are going to add more allied races in the future so maybe Alliance will get better ones with the next addition. Actually on another note I'm kind of hesitant to level some alts because I don't know what allied races they will add that I will like better. I hope they add more character slots again when that happens.
Reply With Quote
  #1202  
Old 11-09-2017, 04:31 PM
Joeygiggles Joeygiggles is offline

Arch-Druid
Joeygiggles's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,150
BattleTag: Joeygiggles#1104

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
I hope they add more character slots again when that happens.
6 slots will be added for the new races
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1203  
Old 11-09-2017, 04:32 PM
Shadowsong Shadowsong is offline

Eternal
Shadowsong's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,716

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeygiggles View Post
6 slots will be added for the new races
I mean for the allied races added after those ones, past launch.
Reply With Quote
  #1204  
Old 11-09-2017, 04:38 PM
Quirnheim Quirnheim is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Niagara Region, Canada
Posts: 4,850
BattleTag: kam#1475

Default

So essentially just more "wait and see". How long have you guys told me that? Seven years now? How much fucking waiting am I supposed to do before Alliance gets good quality stuff? I mean come on.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Fuck your dumb gamergate shit I'd rather be pegged by Sylvanas than read it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Just remember, the Alliance is only ever allowed to passively defend itself against the Horde, and Taurajo was Azeroth's equivalent of the Holocaust.
Reply With Quote
  #1205  
Old 11-09-2017, 04:40 PM
Gromak Gromak is offline

Eternal
Gromak's Avatar
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 4,989

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
You know you’re getting brown people from Draenor with Grom as the leader.
I really hope we don't. I'd like the skincolour options, but all that timewalking shit needs to be buried and forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Well fuck. From mmo-champ
That's been known for a while already. This is the quote in question:



We discussed this both on the Discord and in the Story Grievance thread here on SoL. Notable:

1. Saurfang still fights for Sylvanas, even though the new book made it clear he's just waiting for her to slip up and cleave her

2. Blizzard was pretty careful on not telling us "Who shot first?" during the entire Blizzcon and this being the only interview where this is said

3. The new book has Sylvanas target Stormwind and not Teldrassil

There's likely a lot more to this.
Reply With Quote
  #1206  
Old 11-09-2017, 04:43 PM
Asterisk Asterisk is offline

Arch-Druid
Asterisk's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: The Lanes Between
Posts: 1,412

Default

I really do think Lightforged instead of Broken was a mistake, honestly. But I think void elves and dark irons are fine choices.

Nightborne and void elves mirror each other as reskins of a race from the other faction.
Dark irons and Highmountain mirror each other as races on that faction with minor tweaks.
The problem is Lightforged and Zandalari don't mirror each other.

Last edited by Asterisk; 11-09-2017 at 04:45 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #1207  
Old 11-09-2017, 04:47 PM
Vexander Vexander is offline

Eternal
Vexander's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,491

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
I really doubt that they added these races with malicious intent. Quite the opposite, really.
That's the frightening thing, though. Blizzard gave us Void Elves and thought we'd be happy. If it's not malicious intent (and I cannot see any business doing something like this), then it's a result of being THAT out of touch with the playerbase, which is a whole new level of horror.
Reply With Quote
  #1208  
Old 11-09-2017, 05:05 PM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,228

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexander View Post
That's the frightening thing, though. Blizzard gave us Void Elves and thought we'd be happy. If it's not malicious intent (and I cannot see any business doing something like this), then it's a result of being THAT out of touch with the playerbase, which is a whole new level of horror.
Maybe they have a really cool storyline planned.

The problem is that right now we know nothing about these elves. And, since they were not "tested" with the audience before the announcement (like every other allied race was), that "awesome" storyline may not get the intended reaction...
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Reply With Quote
  #1209  
Old 11-09-2017, 05:15 PM
Shadowsong Shadowsong is offline

Eternal
Shadowsong's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,716

Default

BfA will likely be year 33, so keeping in time with how previous expansions worked.

Reply With Quote
  #1210  
Old 11-09-2017, 05:18 PM
Fenixhart Fenixhart is offline

Ranger
Fenixhart's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 315

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexander View Post
That's the frightening thing, though. Blizzard gave us Void Elves and thought we'd be happy. If it's not malicious intent (and I cannot see any business doing something like this), then it's a result of being THAT out of touch with the playerbase, which is a whole new level of horror.
Blizzard constantly does things they think are cool and that playesr will TOTALLY love.

Void Elves may not be that.

But I'm still yet to see this Horde Bias. At least from a Horde player's perspective-over the long therm, Horde has suffered tremendously. We may get a bunch of new whirlygigs and doodads but the Horde identiy itself has largely been derailed, was almost entirely absent in legion save for the Highmountain Tauren and getting it's face pasted on the Broken Shore, and all the while, it's roster of characters has only dwindled over time.


Meanwhile the Alliance has seen it's roster slowly grow, both with characters comming back from obscurity, or back from the dead. And now in the Next expansion they're finally takeing shots at Lordaeron which is what so many have begged for in ages.


Not to mention the Emotional Buy-in for Alliance is increidble for the next expansion premise. Or any faction conflict really. What do horde have to be excited about? Either shit they already had going for them in the case of PvP scenarios, or absoltely nothing in terms of doing anything to fix their problem of being the eternatl Instigator with Solid Cause.

So where exactly is this Bias coming from and going in to? Because franky, I don't see it.
Reply With Quote
  #1211  
Old 11-09-2017, 05:57 PM
Asterisk Asterisk is offline

Arch-Druid
Asterisk's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: The Lanes Between
Posts: 1,412

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
BfA will likely be year 33, so keeping in time with how previous expansions worked.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Afrasiabi/s...87858604802048
That'd put us one year short for the troll get-together on Zandalar wouldn't it?
Reply With Quote
  #1212  
Old 11-09-2017, 06:17 PM
Mungo Mungo is offline

Hippogryph
Mungo's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 195

Default

I just had a thought: how would you feel if Blizzard says 90% of Night Elves and Worgen were in Teldrassil when it burns and they are killed, and also, 90% of Forsaken are destroyed when Undercity is taken
Reply With Quote
  #1213  
Old 11-09-2017, 06:35 PM
Vexander Vexander is offline

Eternal
Vexander's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,491

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post
So where exactly is this Bias coming from and going in to? Because franky, I don't see it.
I made a comparison back in Cataclysm, albeit a dark and rather inappropriate one, about how Blizzard treats the Horde and the Alliance. Blizzard is an abusive parent. It constantly beats the Horde, and locks the Alliance in a closet and forgets about it for days. Each child in this scenario is going to think they have it worse. The Horde would be glad for some time in the closet if it meant not getting hit, while the Alliance wouldn't mind getting hit if it meant some attention and fresh air.

It's a terrible comparison, but to some degree, there's a grain of truth to it. The Horde gets a lot of focus by the Developers, and always has, but that development is not always positive. Horde heroes die, they go evil, they do stupid things. When the Alliance gets development, it's a bit more bland and the Developers just don't seem to know how to cater to the Alliance's players, so what we end up with appeals to only a few players on each side of the fence: Horde players who WANT to be the villains, and Alliance players who WANT to be these perfect white knights.

I don't think either side really gets what it wants, but at the end of the day if you stopped and looked really hard at the Lore, you'd see the Horde almost constantly is doing something. Legion is really the first time the Horde's had that, 'Shut in a closet and forgotten about,' treatment, and we've seen Horde players absolutely hating it. Probably more-so because the Alliance hasn't been getting beaten by the Villain Bat. At least, not to the extent the Horde was. No one can deny that Genn and Rogers attacking Sylvanas, the Warchief of the Horde, in Stormheim, was anything less than an act of War against the Horde. Arguably the Alliance started this war.

So, I can't really answer your question. It sucks to be either faction. It just sucks a little less depending on the content and what Blizzard thinks is cool.
Reply With Quote
  #1214  
Old 11-09-2017, 06:46 PM
Yakitori Yakitori is offline

Arch-Druid
Yakitori's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 2,074

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
There is probably more elf porn out there.
I think the Draenei have them all beat, but elf vs tauren might be close. But then, I'm fairly certain the Forsaken (not Sylvanas, but actual Forsaken) have more porn than the dorfs do. Which is a travesty. #NeedMoreShortstacks
__________________
Disgruntled Forsaken Stable Master
"Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... That is coffee."
Reply With Quote
  #1215  
Old 11-09-2017, 07:11 PM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,692
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakitori View Post
I think the Draenei have them all beat, but elf vs tauren might be close. But then, I'm fairly certain the Forsaken (not Sylvanas, but actual Forsaken) have more porn than the dorfs do. Which is a travesty. #NeedMoreShortstacks
You would respond to this.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Reply With Quote
  #1216  
Old 11-09-2017, 07:35 PM
Fenixhart Fenixhart is offline

Ranger
Fenixhart's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 315

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexander View Post
I made a comparison back in Cataclysm, albeit a dark and rather inappropriate one, about how Blizzard treats the Horde and the Alliance. Blizzard is an abusive parent. It constantly beats the Horde, and locks the Alliance in a closet and forgets about it for days. Each child in this scenario is going to think they have it worse. The Horde would be glad for some time in the closet if it meant not getting hit, while the Alliance wouldn't mind getting hit if it meant some attention and fresh air.

It's a terrible comparison, but to some degree, there's a grain of truth to it. The Horde gets a lot of focus by the Developers, and always has, but that development is not always positive. Horde heroes die, they go evil, they do stupid things. When the Alliance gets development, it's a bit more bland and the Developers just don't seem to know how to cater to the Alliance's players, so what we end up with appeals to only a few players on each side of the fence: Horde players who WANT to be the villains, and Alliance players who WANT to be these perfect white knights.

I don't think either side really gets what it wants, but at the end of the day if you stopped and looked really hard at the Lore, you'd see the Horde almost constantly is doing something. Legion is really the first time the Horde's had that, 'Shut in a closet and forgotten about,' treatment, and we've seen Horde players absolutely hating it. Probably more-so because the Alliance hasn't been getting beaten by the Villain Bat. At least, not to the extent the Horde was. No one can deny that Genn and Rogers attacking Sylvanas, the Warchief of the Horde, in Stormheim, was anything less than an act of War against the Horde. Arguably the Alliance started this war.

So, I can't really answer your question. It sucks to be either faction. It just sucks a little less depending on the content and what Blizzard thinks is cool.
Gen and Rogers is a bad example because if anything they're justified retaliation which is part of the Whole Emotional Buy-in bit.

They give Alliance a metric fuckton of it by making horde the one to punch first every time. They can make the Alliance do anything at this point and it can be assumed in justified faith because they keep making the Horde do stupid shit to deserve it.

Meanwhile Horde had...Taurajo and nothing since. And even Taurajo was more of a tragedy in two parts because The Alliance commander wanted a bloodless takedown of operations and not a pillaging murdering nightmare tentacle forest hell that he got, so he ended up being an indirect victim in the whole thing too.

Horde isn't just smacked with the Villain bat, they're given no reason to hate the Allaince. They keep saying "old hatreds" when it's only Old on one side. The other has plenty of newer ones.

The closest we ever came was the Purging of Dalaran, but again, Horde was enough of a dick that it warranted backlash.
Reply With Quote
  #1217  
Old 11-09-2017, 08:15 PM
Mungo Mungo is offline

Hippogryph
Mungo's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 195

Default

I'm just going to say that Vexander and Fenixhart have exactly my thoughts on the horde/alliance treatment by Blizzard. I'm admitting that it's still very early to start complaining(would complaining even do anything?). Maybe Blizzard will surprise me. But, if not, like Slowpokeing said in another thread: Sanity is a prison. Embrace madness(that is, play all my characters as deranged murder-hobos who know that nothing matters in their world so just go crazy and enjoy it)!
Reply With Quote
  #1218  
Old 11-09-2017, 08:16 PM
Peger Peger is offline

Sentinel Queen
Peger's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Theramore
Posts: 802

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
I just had a thought: how would you feel if Blizzard says 90% of Night Elves and Worgen were in Teldrassil when it burns and they are killed, and also, 90% of Forsaken are destroyed when Undercity is taken
They did this with the High/Blood Elves and then basically ignored it by having them both appear everywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #1219  
Old 11-09-2017, 08:19 PM
Krainz Krainz is offline

Troubadour
Krainz's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,519
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Default

I've played as Horde throughout the entirety of my gametime in MoP, and now I've been on the Alliance side (because of my DK) for most of my gametime ever since WoD.

I can't stand other Alliance and Night Elf players whining as much as they currently are doing. Whenever the Horde gets a very little piece of cake they whine and cry and make a pout of it like a spoiled little brother.

That makes me sick and drains me the will of debating Warcraft lore.

See ya until we get more reveals.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1220  
Old 11-09-2017, 08:26 PM
Peger Peger is offline

Sentinel Queen
Peger's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Theramore
Posts: 802

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
I've played as Horde throughout the entirety of my gametime in MoP, and now I've been on the Alliance side (because of my DK) for most of my gametime ever since WoD.

I can't stand other Alliance and Night Elf players whining as much as they currently are doing. Whenever the Horde gets a very little piece of cake they whine and cry and make a pout of it like a spoiled little brother.

That makes me sick and drains me the will of debating Warcraft lore.

See ya until we get more reveals.
It's nuts to me seeing Alliance players whine about this expansion when they've been complaining about Lordaeron for over a decade and it's finally being reclaimed.
Reply With Quote
  #1221  
Old 11-09-2017, 08:29 PM
GenyaArikado GenyaArikado is offline

Banished
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 13,294

Default

i wonder how long it'll last. Alliance Dalaran lasted like 1 xpack iirc.
Reply With Quote
  #1222  
Old 11-09-2017, 08:42 PM
ARM3481 ARM3481 is online now

Loremaster
ARM3481's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,568

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
I've played as Horde throughout the entirety of my gametime in MoP, and now I've been on the Alliance side (because of my DK) for most of my gametime ever since WoD.

I can't stand other Alliance and Night Elf players whining as much as they currently are doing. Whenever the Horde gets a very little piece of cake they whine and cry and make a pout of it like a spoiled little brother.

That makes me sick and drains me the will of debating Warcraft lore.

See ya until we get more reveals.
You seem surprised, like this is new. We've seen this all before. The style of this previewed content and the contaminating effect it has on player discourse is all highly familiar, because they did it before and the reaction was the same then.

They're doing Cataclysm again. That's what this is. The world is wounded and we need to heal it, but the factions are fighting so we're distracted by that. We're going to geographically isolated lands that have been conspicuously missing from the world map or inaccessible despite existing in the lore for ages, the naga are going to be a big enough deal to provide a whole instance again, and the signs point toward eventual Old God shenanigans. The familiar symptoms are all back. So we're seeing the start of the same hostility and empty-headed nastiness that infected every forum for years on end because of what Cataclysm started with Garrosh's mid-apocalypse faction war.

It turns everyone into jerks. It turns otherwise thoughtful posters into shitposting jackasses sneering at this or that faction's misfortunes or bemoaning their own. It takes the spite and vitriol that was previously contained to our political threads and vomits it all over everything else.

All because apparently Blizzard thinks that of all the expansions they've done, the chapter most worth repeating is that which kicked off WoW's subscription decline and had half the posters on the official forums getting routinely suspended and/or banned left-and-right for starting flame wars.

Or maybe you do see the familiarity, and that's why you're frustrated by the complaints. They go for gung-ho faction pride, but that's never what it espouses. Not really. As soon as Blizzcon is over and everyone goes home to talk on the forums, all this stuff does is breed unpleasantness.

Last edited by ARM3481; 11-09-2017 at 08:48 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #1223  
Old 11-09-2017, 08:44 PM
Commander Rotal Commander Rotal is offline

Sha of Disappointment
Commander Rotal's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,095

Human Icon (War3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
Maybe they have a really cool storyline planned.

The problem is that right now we know nothing about these elves. And, since they were not "tested" with the audience before the announcement (like every other allied race was), that "awesome" storyline may not get the intended reaction...
Lore-fans: Man i hope they have a really well thought out reason to specifically bring in Night Elf Mages while not just opening up all classes to all races.
Blizzard: *wearing beer hats* I dunno we thought it was cool. *fistbump each other*

I just hope they get a glyph or something to completely turn off the void form to let people RP them as High Elfs. That way everyone'd get a chunk of the cookie.

Frankly, i completely agree with and share all griefances by Alliance players over the allied races but as someone who plays mainly Tauren i just feel cheated out of Taunka. I wanted them since Wrath and all i get is Moose antlers. At least Lightforged have a nice effect with their tattoos. Highmountain Tauren... that doesn't even count as an allied race, that's an allied tribe.
Reply With Quote
  #1224  
Old 11-09-2017, 08:47 PM
Melorandor Melorandor is offline

Keeper of the Grove
Melorandor's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 650
BattleTag: MelosEgo#1512

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
I really do think Lightforged instead of Broken was a mistake, honestly. But I think void elves and dark irons are fine choices.

Nightborne and void elves mirror each other as reskins of a race from the other faction.
Dark irons and Highmountain mirror each other as races on that faction with minor tweaks.
The problem is Lightforged and Zandalari don't mirror each other.
Blizzard probably thinks people would want to play a Lightforged than a Broken Draenei. Despite people wanting Broken for years; I think the Lightforged support was stronger however.
Reply With Quote
  #1225  
Old 11-09-2017, 09:02 PM
Feltongue Feltongue is offline

Arch-Druid
Feltongue's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Right here. Right now.
Posts: 1,918

Default

For Quirn:
In your desolate. absolute fanboism (that no one has curbed ever, so maybe take a sec to be grateful) you ever realized Horde is getting at least 2 (maybe 3) rehashed storylines (EXCEPT FROM A TOTALLY NEW PERSPECTIVE) while Alliance gets at least two brand new and one from a different perspective ones?
No?
Woulda thunk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
Pro tip! Try shit posting in a different font. Comic Sans, for example, and nobody will take it seriously!
Naw man. My best friend didn't went to his grave to be immortalized in Comic Sans. Now or ever.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alliance whining, azeroth literally dying, battle for azeroth, for the whored, gilgoblins, mop 2.0 sucks, mop sucks, more like cata 2.0 sucks, quilboar bias, world of warcraft

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.